❄️ Official Polar Express Theory Thread ❄️ [SANTA BELIEVERS ONLY]

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

❄️ Official Polar Express Theory Thread ❄️ [SANTA BELIEVERS ONLY]

Post by wesoda25 » #716400

❄️ THREAD THEME ❄️

Good evening and happy holidays, forum dwellers. Christmas is nearly upon us and as such my number of The Polar Express rewatches has risen into what surely must now be double digits. This time, however, I was not content with merely enjoying the spectacle. I wanted more. I wanted MEANING. I found some, and now I offer it to you all: my Polar Express Theory

Our MC, hero boy (figure 1), is essentially a self insert (think popular statics). That is, they are you, and you are a person struggling with faith. In what? Santa, of course! (though to keep you santa deniers around, christmas could symbolize mundane, uninteresting things such as purpose and/or happiness in life)

Figure 1: Hero Boy. Voiced by Daryl Sabara.

Next, we have the conductor (figure 2). The conductor is, for lack of a better idea, the grown up, happy version of hero boy. They are you in thirty years, an ideal you (excluding the male pattern baldness), provided you stick to the right track. What track? Well, the one the train is on. What train? The polar express, of course. And what does that symbolize? Great question!

Figure 2: Conductor. Voiced by Tom Hanks (goat).

In the movie, the Polar Express is a train bound for the North Pole. The north pole is home of santa, and we already covered what he might represent. In truth, however, the destination is not so important. As the conductor puts it in the final moments of the film, "One thing about trains - it doesn't matter where you're going. What matters is deciding to get on." therefore I put forth that getting on the train represents the decision to try and believe, be that in santa, purpose, or happiness. It's not the same as finding these things, simply an effort to find them (and, in truth, is all that matters)

What ultimately symbolizes these ideas in the film are the bells (figure 3). Hero boy cannot hear them, because he does not believe in them. If you don't believe in santa, you won't see him. If you don't believe purpose or happiness is possible in life, you wont find it. Tell me, do YOU hear the bells? (Note: a possible other interpretation is santa = live music)

Figure 3: elf rave

If you're not sure, here's a good litmus test: are you homeless?

No, no, I don't actually care. My QUESTION is whether or not you see yourself in the hobo (figure 4)?

Figure 4: hobo. Voiced by tom hanks (still goat).

In the film it is clearly established that the hobo is a ghost (see: numerous times where he vanishes into thin air). Now, as far as I can tell, the prevailing school of thought (at least in the youtube comment section of this video) is that the hobo is merely the ghost of a deceased former trainhopper. they even have an alleged deleted scene to prove it! that falls short for me, though.

I postulate that the hobo is actually the ghost of christmas future. He's jaded, cynical, gross, ugly, and just generally undesirable. Much in the spirit of the source material of the Christmas Carol, the ghost represents the future of hero boy should he not choose to not believe in Santa (or purpose or happiness or any other such nonsense). We even have a direct connection when the ghost uses a Scrooge puppet (figure 5) to scare hero boy, calling him a "doubter". Rather on the nose, isn't it?

Figure 5: the hobo uses a scrooge puppet to scare hero boy.

Thus, we arrive to our conclusion. Seeing is not believing, believing is seeing. This is the only way to truly find santa or live music (or purpose or happiness, i guess). dont be a hobo, be a conductor
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Re: ❄️ Official Polar Express Theory Thread ❄️ [SANTA BELIEVERS ONLY]

Post by TheLoLSwat » #716401

Beautiful post, and I am saying that even as a grinch
zergking
Byond Username: Zergking

Post by zergking » #716404

Santa got shot down by NORAD, everyone knows this
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #716406

There is a world not too different from our own in which they released the version of this film where Tom Hanks voices all the characters like the originally intended.
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #716407

SANTA BELIEVERS RISE UP
Walter brought back Crack.