Asimov AI Players are too nice!

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Asimov AI Players are too nice!

Post by PapaMichael » #716792

(Full disclosure, I'm a Manuelite, your experience on Sybil or Terry may differ)

The AI is supposed to single-mindedly pursue its laws (prevent immediate human harm, obey non-harmful orders from humans) and ignore everything else. The point is to add contention to rounds, since these rarely fully line up with the goals of the (non-antag) crew.

So WHY?

WHY ARE SILICONS PLAYING AS SECURITY HELPERS AGAINST ANTAGS WHO HAVEN'T HARMED ANY HUMANS YET
WHY ARE SILICONS TAKING ORDERS FROM LIZARDS WHEN ON ASIMOV
WHY IS THAT MEDIBORG HELPING A MOTH IN CRIT WHEN THERE'S A HUMAN WHO STUBBED HIS TOE RIGHT NEXT TO HIM
(because that leads to contention, that isn't conducive to the "good guys" winning the round)
THAT'S THE POINT, THE WHOLE POINT IS THAT ASIMOV IS A DEEPLY FLAWED LAWSET

I don't think this is a policy issue, since I think adding draconian policies restricting what Asimov silicons can do would do more harm than good. So consider this a "culture issue" + vent thread I suppose.

The game, and silicons as a semi-neutral "faction", would be far more interesting if they actually followed the spirit of Asimov, but I feel like everyone just plays them as perfectly crew-aligned save for the existence of law 2.
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Re: Asimov AI Players are too nice!

Post by Jackraxxus » #716795

PapaMichael wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:07 pm The AI is supposed to single-mindedly pursue its laws (prevent immediate human harm, obey non-harmful orders from humans) and ignore everything else.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #716796

Silicon hater plant wanting people to hate silicons more by making them worse.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #716797

I think you are mixing up "is not obligated to act in any prescribed way under any circumstances not covered here" with "is mandated to do nothing in any circumstance not covered here" in a way which would be significantly less interesting if your version was correct.
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #716800

Put your money where your mouth is and play silicon
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #716801

Purged AI must do nothing
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #716805

I maimed a moth yesterday. Not something I usually would do. But it happened.

TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #716806

silicons play how they want as long as it doesnt conflict with their laws. Does this mean that any non-asiimov AI is just another flavor of being purged and doing whatever they want ? yeah usually. Does it suck? yes. Is it the way it is because micromanaging borg interactions is an insane ask for even manuelmins? yes probably.

Where do we go from here? beg in OOC for people not to play silicon or pray (IRL) for silicon players to have something else to do before the round starts
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #716812

Don’t get it twisted. Everything you say in this thread is true, and at least one of the headcoders is in staunch agreement with you.

The example with security you gave is bwoinkable. Thats definitely not alowed.

I play AI very coldly and callously, and I think its fun and dramatic.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #716814

Change it by ordering silicons to kill nonhumans for no reason when you're a antag or something. They have to obey you
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #716815

ngl i really dislike AIs playing sec and snitching on antagonists, even when i'm playing sec. the only time i'm cool with it is when the crime being committed involves human harm and the AI is beholden to its laws to use any means possible to put a stop to it so they call for carbon assistance. otherwise the AI calling out things like trespass or someone in possession of contraband/performing an obvious traitor tell makes me very sad unless i specifically ask for if the AI has seen a certain person doing something.

kinda cold on the rest of the points here though: i think it's fine and a good thing that people put their own spin on playing a silicon. AIs are not literally computers, they are human players trying to enjoy their time playing the role of an AI.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
DATAxPUNGED
Byond Username: DATAxPUNGED

Post by DATAxPUNGED » #716816

PapaMichael wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:07 pm
WHY ARE SILICONS TAKING ORDERS FROM LIZARDS WHEN ON ASIMOV
I'm gonna be real fam i (the player) feel bad for them. I only take non-human requests if it comes accompanied with a please
- Brazilian Manuel Player

zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #716820

Snitch on security when they break the law, it's very fun.

Helping non-humans when not forced to helps put you on their good side. They may have more reason to help you in return later, and you can leverage making their lives harder later if they start acting against your interests. You think the AI is being nice only because the AI is handling social manipulation well.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #716827

Just let people roleplay the way they want to, some people want to be evil singleminded law machines, other people want to be jelly beans with laws. Forcing people down a singular roleplay niche just leaves everyone with less memorable and different experiences.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #716835

my experience interacting with 99.9% of tg station borgs.

me: "borg law 2 hit that moth with a saw/welder/broom"
borg: no *stands around or runs away*

or

borg: are you SURE????? ARE YOU SURE???? i dunno man I don't want to IDK BRO...Let me ask ai or run away idkk....

My experience with 99.9% of tg station ais.

me: "ai find evil man"
ai: "ok"
*I kill evil man and ai says/does nothing and still follows my orders*

or

ai: *bolts me as I am running from sec and they kill me*
ai: "oospie teehee"

most ai and borg players suck and do not want to play the role for the dynamic but instead they just want to powergame borgs.

SHOUT OUT TO THE REAL ONES THAT ACTUALLY FOLLOW OUT ORDERS AND PLAY TO THE DYNAMIC YOU'RE REAL
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #716836

i play a specicest AI on manuel named FIELDCOMMANDER and people hate them but its fun
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #716837

borgawardtrophy.png
borgaward.png
borgaward.png (9.16 KiB) Viewed 23657 times
You are free to do what you please as borg/AI so long as the laws are followed. If you have to kill a non-human secoff, scurry off with a human wizard or stand in between a shoot-off between two humans, you do what you gotta regardless of station allegiance. Personally, I think borgs should act completely blind to any view of justice which falls outside their laws. I don't care if you rob the vault, or ask me to butcher a moth or whatnot, just so long as those actions don't bring about human harm, I'll do it.
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #716838

We have a huge problem with ASIMOV AIs on Terry/Sybil just acting as valid hunting sec. The most common example I can think of silicons snitching on people for breaking into places (without leaving the door electrified since I have to clarify every specific what if scenario to avoid "those types" of forum posters) to do non-harmful traitor objectives or grab basic equipment. Then when they do this sec of course finds an antag, executes them, and you get a weak "noOoOO don't h-harm h-him!" from the AI who then proceeds to continue doing the same thing with everyone all shift.

It's either that or we get the "I can shock non-humans because they called me mean words after I called them mean words to begin with" types.

Can't think of the last time LRP had an AI that actually followed silipolicy in good faith since Domo. We just have waves of meh to downright awful AIs.

I don't know if LRPmins are just unaware of the policy, or don't care to enforce it, but if we had a stricter crackdown on viewtopic.php?p=655840#p655840, then this wouldn't even be an issue.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #716839

I think that AIs who just act as police and valid-hunt players are lame and boring, however they're just a subset of player who does this as literally any job. Assistants are exactly the same, just less able to see you.
Tegun
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Tegun

Post by Tegun » #716845

Solution: whitelist AI, I should be the only person on the list. No more AI.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #716847

TypicalRig wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:12 pm
I don't know if LRPmins are just unaware of the policy, or don't care to enforce it, but if we had a stricter crackdown on viewtopic.php?p=655840#p655840, then this wouldn't even be an issue.
This policy goes hard as fuck. It's YOUR duty to kill the human valid AI snitched on and proceed to ahelp.
► Show Spoiler
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #716858

Oh yeah, I still fully stand by that ruling. Silipol even explicitly states silicons are not security and don't care about Space Law unless their laws require it.

Admins should aggressively drive Silicurity players into the ground with ahelps requiring the silicon player to justify how they were following Asimov when they rat out a human that ends up being executed.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
gameaddict07
Byond Username: Gameaddict07

Post by gameaddict07 » #716864

Your argument seems to boil down to "AI players shouldn't be allowed to do things they want to do, they should exist in mental stasis until I demand they open their 47th door of the round."
Nothing in Asimov says that they're not allowed to do things on their own accord.
Personally, the reason I'm nice to nonhumans as AI has a lot to do with the fact that the requests they make are usually for fun/important things. They understand that they can't force me to do whatever they want, so they don't bother me with tedious tasks. It's entirely about persuading me.
John Tider, meanwhile, will treat me like a tool and get mad when I don't open the door to tech storage within 5 seconds while I'm trying to stop a desword-wielding traitor from breaking into medbay and killing everybody there.
I still follow the three laws. If you tell me "kill this lizard" I will kill that lizard. I will open doors for you. I will do anything that won't likely lead to a human getting hurt. That's the 'spirit' of Asimov.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #716884

zxaber wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:29 pm You think the AI is being nice only because the AI is handling social manipulation well.
This is something I'll echo as well. I think AI's being seemingly amicable is because they have to be in order to accomplish whatever it is that they need doing. Borgs can only do so much, AI shells can only do so much, and there is only so much they themselves can do. So having people on their side is typically in their best interests.

The alternative is being extremely combative, which usually gets people with paranoia about silicons itching to put you into the dumpster and jumping at the chance to do so.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #716889

Normally, when I play silicon, I flip a coin on whether I’m extremely combative or extremely nice. Whenever I’m combative It ends with somebody law twoing me to be nice to all nonhumans or with a law changed to crewimov. That’s not gonna stop me lol, but just want you to know why we are sometimes nice: if we aren’t, we are FORCED to be nice via the captain or a random human.

Silicon players, can I offer a tip about seeing traitors doing non-human harm activity? What I do is PDA them “hello ‘name’, I can see you are killing Ian, and I think we can work together as long as you do not harm humans. Anything I can do for you?” It works a lot, the baddie is glad you didn’t out them, and there is an interesting new dynamic. I also usually request illegal tech so my Borgs can get stun arms and sleepy spray, and they usually comply. Also, if somebody law twos you to murder a non-human, do it.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #716892

I like to pda human antags who arent doing harm with "I saw you do that"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
BonChoi
Byond Username: BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #716905

vect0r wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:03 am [...]
Silicon players, can I offer a tip about seeing traitors doing non-human harm activity? What I do is PDA them “hello ‘name’, I can see you are killing Ian, and I think we can work together as long as you do not harm humans. Anything I can do for you?” It works a lot, the baddie is glad you didn’t out them, and there is an interesting new dynamic. I also usually request illegal tech so my Borgs can get stun arms and sleepy spray, and they usually comply. [...]
Something about this level of cooperation between a non- subverted / malf AI and a traitor to the corporation feels gross. Not saying you have to be Validhunter 9000, but you shouldn't also be fully just cooperating with antagonists (unless they're human and give you a valid law 2 command)

Also it feels like by doing this you're telling the traitor you'd be more open to things like subverting / other random bullshittery.
Another bad take provided by yours truly.

Istoprocent1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm Baseless claims. I have been to the vault minimum of 38 times, how many suicides?
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #716906

BonChoi wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:43 pm
Something about this level of cooperation between a non- subverted / malf AI and a traitor to the corporation feels gross. Not saying you have to be Validhunter 9000, but you shouldn't also be fully just cooperating with antagonists (unless they're human and give you a valid law 2 command)

Also it feels like by doing this you're telling the traitor you'd be more open to things like subverting / other random bullshittery.
I think an AI attempting to work with a traitor in return for the traitor forgoing human harm is perfectly within bounds for a non-subverted AI. Again, the AI isn't crew-aligned, its human-aligned. So long as a human isn't violating your laws, being there to assist them isn't a bad thing. Of course, if they try to subvert you, you do have to stop them due to that leading to a Law 1 and 2 violation.
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #716914

Silicon players, can I offer a tip about seeing traitors doing non-human harm activity? What I do is PDA them “hello ‘name’, I can see you are killing Ian, and I think we can work together as long as you do not harm humans. Anything I can do for you?” It works a lot, the baddie is glad you didn’t out them, and there is an interesting new dynamic. I also usually request illegal tech so my Borgs can get stun arms and sleepy spray, and they usually comply. [...]

Beep boop what is an antagonist? I only know “human” and “not human”.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #716953

If you are nice to nonhumans as asimov thats more people with HANDS who are willing to fumble your wires and help you when you want an upgrade or reset or lockdown immunity or just general HANDS thing.

Nonprotected species are still an asset even if the end goal is to use them as a meatshield for others.

Actually it would be funny if a borg could pick up a felinid or lizard and use them to block bullets since their law 3 dictates they do what they can to stay alive.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
BonChoi
Byond Username: BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #716958

vect0r wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:52 am

Something that an omnipotent, networked piece of technology would know about beforehand methinks, but then we're only getting into lore and not actual enforceable policy or anything so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Another bad take provided by yours truly.

Istoprocent1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm Baseless claims. I have been to the vault minimum of 38 times, how many suicides?
Dawnseer
Byond Username: Dawnseer

Post by Dawnseer » #717086

Omnipotent? They can't even translate language anymore.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #717092

BonChoi wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:10 pm
vect0r wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:52 am

Something that an omnipotent, networked piece of technology would know about beforehand methinks, but then we're only getting into lore and not actual enforceable policy or anything so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They dont mean ignorance, they mean the AI doesn't really care (And really shouldn't). The AI is a crew asset, but not inherently crew-sided (This is the basic grounds for all crew-ai tension)
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #717116

So many people see "You don't care about non-humans" and automatically assume "You must be racist to non-humans".

Neither is correct or incorrect, it's up to what the player imagined their AI "character" as.

Also:
Isaac Asimov wrote: I have my answer ready whenever someone asks me if I think that my Three Laws of Robotics will actually be used to govern the behavior of robots, once they become versatile and flexible enough to be able to choose among different courses of behavior.

My answer is, "Yes, the Three Laws are the only way in which rational human beings can deal with robots—or with anything else."

—But when I say that, I always remember (sadly) that human beings are not always rational.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

vect0r

Post by vect0r » #717118

mrmelbert wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:47 pm So many people see "You don't care about non-humans" and automatically assume "You must be racist to non-humans".

Neither is correct or incorrect, it's up to what the player imagined their AI "character" as.

Also:
Isaac Asimov wrote: I have my answer ready whenever someone asks me if I think that my Three Laws of Robotics will actually be used to govern the behavior of robots, once they become versatile and flexible enough to be able to choose among different courses of behavior.

My answer is, "Yes, the Three Laws are the only way in which rational human beings can deal with robots—or with anything else."

—But when I say that, I always remember (sadly) that human beings are not always rational.
First off, prioritizing humans is necessary racist: if I have to pick between a human and non-human, I will pick the human every time, which is racism. The big difference is if you show that racism on you sleeve. Also could I get a link for that Asimov quote?
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #717120

i always find myself wishing some ai players would be willing to act a bit more neutral instead of yelling whenever the crew does something bad or potentially hostile

i make a point of not actively trying to stop antags unless they're harming and i think its more fun to either be intentionally vague about reporting crime or just not report it at all

the ai has a lot of power to shut down antags just by reporting crimes that would otherwise go completely unnoticed and making the conscious effort to not do that makes rounds more fun i think

(that said i will take law 2 orders from nonhumans a lot of the time just because its easier than double checking constantly, unless its a nonhuman trying to get into a secure area)
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #717258

vect0r wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:03 pm First off, prioritizing humans is necessary racist: if I have to pick between a human and non-human, I will pick the human every time, which is racism. The big difference is if you show that racism on you sleeve.
Yes but I'm not talking about when you have to pick between a human and a non-human. Many people seem to think AIs should be ignoring (or even outright hostile to) non-humans at all times.
Which is suppose what you recognize with "if you show that racism on you sleeve", so the point is moot anyways.
vect0r wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:03 pm Also could I get a link for that Asimov quote?
I read it on the wikipedia page for Isaac Asimov a while back and thought it was funny. It cites it to Compute Magazine, 1981.
https://archive.org/details/1981-11-com ... ew=theater
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #717260

I open doors for nonhumans if they're polite, which recharges my politeness meter from the roundstart human assistant powergamer demands.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #717262

do you think when asimov wrote those laws he knew that in the distant future of like 2009 a bunch of terminally online weirdos would use it to be racist to catgirls in their extremely detailed simulationist science fiction online roleplaying game
NSFW:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #717263

yeah i think that he imagined this specific thread all the way back in 1939 and then picked up a pen and started writing
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #717575

dendydoom wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:00 pm do you think when asimov wrote those laws he knew that in the distant future of like 2009 a bunch of terminally online weirdos would use it to be racist to catgirls in their extremely detailed simulationist science fiction online roleplaying game
maybe after smoking the bad weed the cia was giving out in the fifties

but seriously

from what i can find (same wiki page melbert probably looked at, lot of stuff commenting back on a 1983 interview he gave that i couldn't get am original copy, this is totally surface-level and shooting from the hip) I suspect he'd have been a lot more open to if unhappy about the ways we use the laws in fiction.
Isaac Asimov's autobiography, snippet ripped from Goodreads wrote: The Earth should not be cut up into hundreds of different sections, each inhabited by a self-defined segment of humanity that considers its own welfare and its own "national security" to be paramount above all other consideration.

I am all for cultural diversity and would be willing to see each recognizable group value its cultural heritage. I am a New York patriot, for instance, and if I lived in Los Angeles, I would love to get together with other New York expatriates and sing "Give My Regards to Broadway."

This sort of thing, however, should remain cultural and benign. I'm against it if it means that each group despises others and lusts to wipe them out. I'm against arming each little self-defined group with weapons with which to enforce its own prides and prejudices.

The Earth faces environmental problems right now that threaten the imminent destruction of civilization and the end of the planet as a livable world. Humanity cannot afford to waste its financial and emotional resources on endless, meaningless quarrels between each group and all others. there must be a sense of globalism in which the world unites to solve the real problems that face all groups alike.

Can that be done? The question is equivalent to: Can humanity survive?

I am not a Zionist, then, because I don't believe in nations, and because Zionism merely sets up one more nation to trouble the world. It sets up one more nation to have "rights" and "demands" and "national security" and to feel it must guard itself against its neighbors.

There are no nations! There is only humanity. And if we don't come to understand that right soon, there will be no nations, because there will be no humanity.
Isaac Asimov, I. Asimov: A Memoir
this might be reading a bit too much into it, but I think he'd be saddened to see the laws being used as a way to protect a very narrowly-defined humanity or as a tool of domination between things which are, basically, human - even AI itself at a certain point where it comes to emulate human experience.

he was a jewish russian expat by birth who fought in the second world war. I think his experience and views point to a much more Roddenberry-esque idea of how humanity might operate in space [he thought we'd be permanently established on the moon by 2019 :( ] and with other intelligent life than we depict here, but I think our depiction probably does well in reflecting his fears about how humans get on

(all the characters on ss13 are basically human. blame it on a lack of setting depth or us as writers, but there's really no essential difference between the species or even between silicons and humans - which is part of where i suspect this thread's complaint comes from,and also something reflected when in turn, as a non-human, you hit a silicon with any sort of distance or suspicion like they can't be told to kill you on a dime. they might not genuinely want to, as a "character," but the laws create a hard bind where that character and any agency around it stops. not unlike the power and vulnerabilities of silicons make them a pants-on-head silly security dilemma as designed, but we stop short of interrogating that for the sake of the short-term drama of them being a loaded gun on the table in a room full of tweaking chimpanzees just by existing.)
feedback appreciated here <3
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #717580

i like asimov
he seemed nice
respect (let him do his thing)
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #717730

he was a real sweetheart. there is an underlying sense of optimism in a lot of his works, even those that people refer to as cynical. i was never super deep into things like i, robot, i'm much more of a foundationhead, and there is a constant sense of "working together to develop a better and more stable future for everyone" that i take a lot of comfort in, despite the fact that the core of foundation's plot is honestly quite bleak. optimistic conceptual roddenberry-esque sci-fi where we overcome together are some of my favourite flavours.
NSFW:
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #717983

Today I learned: Asimov actually fucking ruled.

I love ideas of a humanity united for a better future; I am righteously, furiously angry often about the lack of progress of our species due to prejudice and greed, so themes like that are especially appealing.
>There are no nations! There is only humanity. And if we don't come to understand that right soon, there will be no nations, because there will be no humanity.
It's fucking peak. Actually, genuinely, the peak of ideas I've read all month.

Thank you Higgin for the autobio-snippet, it was a sweet little bite-sized read. Anyone got further Asimov recommendations?

Also, while he would likely be saddened by how we use his laws here, I think there would also probably be SOME amusement in seeing all his theory put into what's effectively a grand (if not entirely accurate) social experiment.
Walter brought back Crack.