Better antagonist Callouts

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Better antagonist Callouts

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #717898

Warning! This thread contains roleplay suggestions!

To me at least, many low effort antag callouts like "Johnathon Gutpa is bad" or "CMO is ling" are negative to my vibes of the game. The following are suggestions as to how you can spice up the flavor of your antag callouts, these are not comprehensive lists! Improvise and put your own spin on it.
For my less roleplay inclined fellows on the forum, this thread is likely going to be little used to you, so instead please enjoy this funny video game montage I found online instead.

Traitor

Bad: Tot, Tator
Ok: Traitor, Syndie
Good: Spy, Agent, Saboteur, Assassin, Thief (Use as appropriate, Apply "syndie" or "Syndicate" to callout as required)
Adjectives: Back stabbing, Traitorous, Treacherous, Double Crossing, Two faced, Bloodthirsty, Murderous (Apply to taste)
Ex: "John's a double crossing thief! I saw him using syndie tech to steal the captain's gun." is better than "John traitor stole the captain's gun."

Changeling

Bad: Ling
Ok: Changeling
Good: Shapeshifter, Skinshifter, Alien, Monster
Adjectives: Shapeshifting, ugly, hideous, Grotesque, Freakish (Or similar)
Ex: "John's been replaced by a shapeshifting Alien!" is better than "John Doe is a ling"

Cultist

Bad: Cult, Cultie
Ok: Cultist
Good Individual: Blood cultist, nar-sien cultist,
Good General: Blood sacrifice, Nar-sie, Nar-sie's worshipers, Blood runes
Ex: "I saw blood cultists drawing runes in the library!" is better than "Cult Library"

Revolutionaries

Bad: Rev, Revs
Ok:Revolutionary
Good Individual: Mutineer, Insurgent, interactionist, rioter
Good Head Revolutionary: Rabble Rouser, Provocateur, Firebrand, (Individual) leader
Ex: "We finally caught one of the main rabble rousers, he's in the brig." is better than "We have a rev head brig"

Nuke Op

Bad: Nukie
Ok: Nuclear operative, nuke op
Good: Commando, Raider, Border, Attacker (Apply "syndie" or "Syndicate" to callout as required)
Ex: "Syndicate Border spotted, Evac" is better than "Nukie Evac"

Wizard

Bad: Wiz
Good: Wizard, Space wizard, (The wizard's name)
(Tip: use description for spellcasting
Ex: "The wizard transformed into a metal rod and punched a whole straight threw a felinid's head." is better than "Wiz went max rod based."

Heretic

Bad: Tic
Ok: Heretic
Good: (The heretic's name)
Ex: "John cut someone open and is doing dark magic with their organs in his office." is better than "John is a heretic"
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Re: Better antagonist Callouts

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #717901

John is as suspicious as someone who is stealing the nuke disk.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #717905

Dearest Security Officer,

I hope this finds you well. We seem to have found ourselves in a dire situation at the medical bay. Please consider coming over here to assist us as I do believe Johnathan Gupta has come to murderbone our department.

Sincerely, Imitates-The-Lizards, your friendly neighborhood Assistant
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #717906

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:07 am To me at least, many low effort antag callouts like "Johnathon Gutpa is bad" or "CMO is ling" are negative to my vibes of the game.
Im not a antag half of the time, I just am a threat to the current player in question. And they can't describe me as any antag just as myself.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #717907

Wiz went max rod based
feaster
Byond Username: Roadto3k

Post by feaster » #717908

People are not that articulate in reality, so I don't mind it, they are always coming up with ways to abbreviate even dangerous things, but I agree some of this is too casual like "tot," makes it sound like you don't really worry about being murdered by someone in the same building as you.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #717909

Something everyone who makes one of these threads forgets, is that not only do people making these kinds of callouts IRL probably shorten it down as much as they can to get the message across as quickly as possible and remove chances for misunderstanding (the more complicated words you use on a radio, the better the chance of someone not hearing it properly);

but that they're usually made by people who are trying to say it quickly because they cannot run and talk at the same time.

I can agree with gamer terms like "Tot" and "Tator", but ling is just a short version of Changeling that can't be easily misinterpreted (Changeling could be misheard as "Changing"), Wiz is just a short Wizard, etc.
feaster wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:38 am People are not that articulate in reality, so I don't mind it, they are always coming up with ways to abbreviate even dangerous things, but I agree some of this is too casual like "tot," makes it sound like you don't really worry about being murdered by someone in the same building as you.
Speaking as an Australian and the fact that we actually have McDonalds signs that just straight up say "Maccas", I can confirm that people tend to shorten things wherever they can in day to day speech.

A lot of the examples given would be fine if you're filing an official report to Security, but just sound excessive and unnatural if you're trying to warn people about imminent danger.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #717910

The issue with a text-based game is that it's going to incentivize the shortest callouts possible because you need to communicate quickly that Jane Doe is stabbing you.

"Oh dear, it does appear that Jane Doe, the atmospheric technician, is assailing me with intent to kill with a duel-bladed energy sword. With this evidence in mind, I believe I have sufficient evidence to assume that he is, in fact, a traitor to Nanotrasen. In particular, I believe it is safe to say he is an agent for the Syndicate. I do declare that I require the most rapid of response from this station's security personnel, lest I perish."

https://youtu.be/FyWypcG8A2U?si=c9u1L83WcfjTYEnW&t=11

Ideally, extremely basic callouts like "Jane Doe tot" should be limited to situations where you are in immediate danger. For instance, shouting "Cult dorms" if you just stumbled upon them while walking through dorms is fine. An officer saying "Jane Doe tot" when being asked by the HOS why you arrested someone and and Jane's in a holding cell and the officer is safe in the brig isn't.

edit: CMDR_Gungnir beat me to it.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #717911

tator tot
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #717912

I hate that we have an antagonist called "Heretic" because any crewmember calling someone a Heretic doesn't make any sense in-character (makes you sound like an olden times puritan) however I've also never been able to come up with a satisfactory alternative.
AsbestosSniffer
Byond Username: The Asbestos Sniffer

Post by AsbestosSniffer » #717915

Jacquerel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:10 am I hate that we have an antagonist called "Heretic" because any crewmember calling someone a Heretic doesn't make any sense in-character (makes you sound like an olden times puritan) however I've also never been able to come up with a satisfactory alternative.
Call them "Hexers" so we can confuse any Germans playing.
Observer main. Otherwise I play Lucy Trelawney on Manuel.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #717916

i like it when people do more detailed callouts only because it helps to pull people out of the "gamified" mindset and possibly encourages people to interact with antags in ways that aren't just a rote, mechanical counter to whatever antag they've identified. but to me it does make sense in the way that employees have probably dealt with this shit for a while, especially things like nuclear operative attacks, so to give them an endearing nickname like "nukies again!" fits sorta well to me.

however i will not stoop to calling someone a "tator" IC. it sounds like a toddler's babbling and such infantile mewling will NOT fall from my cultured, erudite lips
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #717917

B-but... Nar'Nar : ((

Also, who the fuck calls Heretics "tic"?
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #717918

im 100% sure this used to be enforced in the past and im 200% sure people have nots for saying ITS revs(refering to the gamemode) instead of theres revs

in other words mechanics also oppose this as if you were typing out a line and you are being hit you glorf/aagh up shortening the sentence its also a reason why people want to get out the word out fast
The future is horrible!
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #717919

AsbestosSniffer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:57 am
Jacquerel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:10 am I hate that we have an antagonist called "Heretic" because any crewmember calling someone a Heretic doesn't make any sense in-character (makes you sound like an olden times puritan) however I've also never been able to come up with a satisfactory alternative.
Call them "Hexers" so we can confuse any Germans playing.
as a german this would not confuse me as wizard in german is called Magier and Hexer would be something akin to a Warlock
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #717920

What the hell is the difference between a wizard and a warlock then??
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #717921

PapaMichael wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:25 pm What the hell is the difference between a wizard and a warlock then??
how dare you?
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Justice12354
In-Game Admin

Post by Justice12354 » #717922

Ezel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:36 pm im 100% sure this used to be enforced in the past and im 200% sure people have nots for saying ITS revs(refering to the gamemode) instead of theres revs
We still enforce the "Its X" thing bc, as you said, it refers to the gamemode instead of pointing out the existence of X
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #717931

Justice12354 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:01 pm
Ezel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:36 pm im 100% sure this used to be enforced in the past and im 200% sure people have nots for saying ITS revs(refering to the gamemode) instead of theres revs
We still enforce the "Its X" thing bc, as you said, it refers to the gamemode instead of pointing out the existence of X
How about just saying REVS CULT (put gamemode here) i think there should atleast be some effort in typing a word before what your refering, nukies i can excuse
The future is horrible!
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #717932

you cant walk and talk at the same time, people learn to use short callouts through trial and error (dying before they can get the message out that X is evil). Also you need to be as descriptive as possible because you dont know what the people hearing you are gonna know. Screaming (NAME) LING/TOT/HERETIC/BAD (for unknown but enemy of the station) ATMOS MAINTS gets the most information out in the shortest amount of time so it would make sense that 99% of people would scream in such a way before they are about to die. Being vague with your terms will just lead to people thinking youre trolling or disregarding your words entirely, taking the time to put out a thesis on the individual about to kill you just will not see the light of day more often than not unless you are already safe.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #717935

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:56 am Something everyone who makes one of these threads forgets, is that not only do people making these kinds of callouts IRL probably shorten it down as much as they can to get the message across as quickly as possible and remove chances for misunderstanding (the more complicated words you use on a radio, the better the chance of someone not hearing it properly);

but that they're usually made by people who are trying to say it quickly because they cannot run and talk at the same time.

I can agree with gamer terms like "Tot" and "Tator", but ling is just a short version of Changeling that can't be easily misinterpreted (Changeling could be misheard as "Changing"), Wiz is just a short Wizard, etc.
feaster wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:38 am People are not that articulate in reality, so I don't mind it, they are always coming up with ways to abbreviate even dangerous things, but I agree some of this is too casual like "tot," makes it sound like you don't really worry about being murdered by someone in the same building as you.
Speaking as an Australian and the fact that we actually have McDonalds signs that just straight up say "Maccas", I can confirm that people tend to shorten things wherever they can in day to day speech.

A lot of the examples given would be fine if you're filing an official report to Security, but just sound excessive and unnatural if you're trying to warn people about imminent danger.
For real.

Unless the speed and pace of TG slows down, this just isn't going to happen consistently outside of speed typing English primary folk, or some sort of typing macros.

I'd like to see it and try to emulate it but, I ain't everyone.
Hugs
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #717936

I like trying to be as inconsistent and unclear as possible, I really think it adds to the round to have someone call out threats in a roundabout way.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Justice12354
In-Game Admin

Post by Justice12354 » #717937

Ezel wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:46 pm
Justice12354 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:01 pm <snip>
How about just saying REVS CULT (put gamemode here) i think there should atleast be some effort in typing a word before what your refering, nukies i can excuse
We enforce against "It's X" because that's explicitly OOC IC. Just outright saying the gamemode's name, for instance, "REVS" is fine imo bc I can imagine someone irl screaming a threat's name to alarm others
Spoiler:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #717939

scoundrel and blackguard in maint
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #717952

A lot of this is understandable, but "ling" is just short for "changeling" - it's totally sensible people would shorten it colloquially. "Cling" is cringe though. You know who you are.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Ezel

Post by Ezel » #717957

Cling only existed when shadowling was a thing so we had cling and sling
The future is horrible!
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #717959

MURDER BONER!!!!
Boom Boom Dudes
Wannabe Gandalfs
Actual Gandalfs
Protestants
School Lunch
Boob
Space Dragon but actually it's technically a Wyvern because it only has two limbs

there. i solved it. go home everyone.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #717962

Just say "[NAME] BAD" and let the people who watch suit sensors with an all-purpose validhunting kit sort the rest out.
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #717965

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:56 am pretty much nails it dead on the head
More generally, I'd say that not calling a heretic a heretic doesn't make them stop being a heretic if that's what they are.

I think a lot of the underlying frustration is that if you're trying to be anything more or less than just Harry Tick, the first thing that might slip from somebody's lips is still gonna be that callout if they see you with a tell. You're tarred with the same brush as the guy who's been speedrunning influences and sacrifices since 00:01, and that label might preempt you doing anything else.

That's not a naming problem. That's a problem of our antagonists being easy to categorize and flattened by the nature of play that they're designed for and allowed.

It's also a problem of people gunjumping to make the categorization, because not everybody is so quick to do it; but it's hard to blame them when they do, especially in the space of a lot of antags having the power to alpha strike and shut you off very hard from even being able to make a callout in the first instance.
feedback appreciated here <3
zergking
Byond Username: Zergking

Post by zergking » #717976

Whenever someone accuses someone else of being a heretic, I immediately yell at them for insulting other religions. It’s so funny
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #717980

it's easy we're just in the warhammer 40k universe. Ignore the lack of any actual generalized worship by the crew aside from the chaplain, that's just out of station.

It's hard to really find a good new name for Heretic that gets the point across while being the same size. Ideally the best one would be "Cultist" but that's already in use.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #717981

heretic is cultists echo fighter give it the smash treatment
call heretic DARK CULTIST
The future is horrible!
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #717982

when do we get the morbius antagonist
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #717985

Is this post truly the end of the dreaded vile beast that is Ling Chapel, and his voracious villainous counterpart Help Maints? Will Adam Wilson ever come up with a new Changeling joke? Find out next time on:

Spess Stashun Third Teen!
Walter brought back Crack.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #717990

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:58 am
Ideally, extremely basic callouts like "Jane Doe tot" should be limited to situations where you are in immediate danger. For instance, shouting "Cult dorms" if you just stumbled upon them while walking through dorms is fine. An officer saying "Jane Doe tot" when being asked by the HOS why you arrested someone and and Jane's in a holding cell and the officer is safe in the brig isn't.
Oh absolutely, for sure.

If the HoS asks why you arrested someone, and you're just vibing in the brig, you should put more effort in. "We got word that Jane Doe was a syndie infiltrator, so we looked into it and found a DEsword", yada yada yada.

But honestly even without factoring in roleplay effort, it's just a courtesy so that people actually know what's going on. "John Doe Heretic" doesn't really say much, whereas "John Doe's a Heretic, we found blades in his bag and they had blood on them, we think he probably has sac'd someone." tells you that he's a Violent one.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #717994

Obviously the NT recognized deities form a religious pantheon that the whole crew worships, and the Chaplain just gets to pick which particular deity the station is devoted to, much like an old Greek city might be devoted to a particular god, like how Athens is devoted to Athena. There are obviously no atheists on Space Station 13, when the gods interfere in the workdays all the time, only an idiot would be an atheist in the RP setting. So calling someone out as a Heretic makes complete sense to me. Also, the Cult worships Nar'Sie, too. So, again, no atheism.

The REAL question is whether or not for the sake of RP consistency we can all lynch someone if they claim to not believe in the standard NT pantheon without them being a "Heretic Antagonist" or "Cult Antagonist". Can Security arrest/fine people for being heterodoxical/atheistic?
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #718003

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:46 pm
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:58 am
Oh absolutely, for sure.

If the HoS asks why you arrested someone, and you're just vibing in the brig, you should put more effort in. "We got word that Jane Doe was a syndie infiltrator, so we looked into it and found a DEsword", yada yada yada.

But honestly even without factoring in roleplay effort, it's just a courtesy so that people actually know what's going on. "John Doe Heretic" doesn't really say much, whereas "John Doe's a Heretic, we found blades in his bag and they had blood on them, we think he probably has sac'd someone." tells you that he's a Violent one.

tried and true

*spam points at bloody blade/uplink *points at prisoner in cell
"ah i see"
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #718004

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:07 am words
OP bad!
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #718005

I want to see everyone's most creative antagonist callouts, post em.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Justice12354
In-Game Admin

Post by Justice12354 » #718006

Cheshify wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:50 pm I want to see everyone's most creative antagonist callouts, post em.
"Taylor and Plazz are ERPing in Dorms 4.... again"
Spoiler:
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #718007

One second we'll make this a contest in a new thread
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta