Lasering right into a headmin review.

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Lasering right into a headmin review.

Post by Constellado » #719241

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35646

What do you think? If you know you are helping an antag build a death machine, should you be allowed to help them?
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Re: Lasering right into a headmin review.

Post by kinnebian » #719242

ban type: unfun ban

so true!!
respect (let him do his thing)
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #719243

also, can someone tell archie to take it back a notch? they come off as cold and a bit of an asshole, no wonder they guy went right for a headmin review
PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #719244

Everyone who gets denied, within a rounding error, requests a headmin review.
Why even bother making them ask?
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #719246

Archie didn't really come off as cold to me here, just concise and professional. They laid only straight-up facts about the case without any real opinion, they were just curt with it.

The venn diagram between the type of person who'd build a laser death ray machine in the hallways and the type of person who asks for headmin review off a denial on a three day(!!!) ban is a fucking circle.

Despite being labelled an unfun ban, it's absolutely hilarious to read about this.
Walter brought back Crack.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #719247

i think it's fine to ask for a headmin review in this case where the appeal was addressed and rejected all in one post. what the small print of a headmin review is supposed to insinuate is that if the banning admin is trying to work with you but you just want to speak to a manager, the manager might tell you to sort it out yourself.

there is a rule 4 precedent around helping antags do antag things:
Rule 4 Precedents wrote:Regular crewmembers can assist antagonists with good IC reasoning, but assisting an antagonist doesn't mean you get a pass on acting like one. If in doubt, ask an admin if a particular action is okay. Depending on the level of assistance, sufficient IC reasoning ranges from treating everyone who goes into medbay regardless of their history, to bartering contraband, to performing actions under threat of death.
there is also this rule 1 precedent around "destructive items" (i'm positing that the emitter contraption they built is in itself one of these destructive items):
Rule 1 Precedents wrote:Do not facilitate player deaths for poor IC reasoning. Distributing bombs or other similarly destructive items can leave you responsible for how they are used if not cleared with an admin first.
i don't see any discussion of the "IC reason" just that they were an engineer. you could argue that this is enough of an IC reason to help someone build anything, but they seemingly chose to forego this route and focus on the classic "but what about the other people breaking the rules?"

i'm not going to say this isn't a productive approach to the issue but at its core it's not really a denial of guilt - yes, perhaps other people were also breaking the rules, but it doesn't refute the fact that you appear to have done so too.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
BonChoi
Byond Username: BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #719248

headmin opinion pls thx
Another bad take provided by yours truly.

Istoprocent1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm Baseless claims. I have been to the vault minimum of 38 times, how many suicides?
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #719249

yes pls thx
The future is horrible!
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #719250

i only did it cuz somebody told me to i couldn't care less about 3 day ban just wanted to see a discussion and opinions about it
The future is horrible!
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #719251

Did we have a nut for his last appeal because i can't find it
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=35514
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #719254

Mixed feelings about this one leaning towards valid ban; I would want to see what the relay looked like. Was it a single laser firing down the halls? Was it hall width? Was it wiping people out so quickly that they couldn't dismantle this contraption and beat down the players responsible? Shoulda made a line of caution tile decals along the firing path tbh
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #719256

Dax Dupont wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:51 pm Did we have a nut for his last appeal because i can't find it
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=35514
Last appeal was the bombing in revs round which was created by sinfull
The future is horrible!
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #719257

dragomagol wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:57 pm Mixed feelings about this one leaning towards valid ban; I would want to see what the relay looked like. Was it a single laser firing down the halls? Was it hall width? Was it wiping people out so quickly that they couldn't dismantle this contraption and beat down the players responsible? Shoulda made a line of caution tile decals along the firing path tbh
Single line, other non antag and abdul was triggering it with a infrared sensor/signaller assembly
The future is horrible!
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #719261

Dunno what else you want really
Abdul asked for emitters, asked how to get the reflector boxes, and then how to add signallers to them i gave it to him and then he killed people with the contraption with a infrared/signaller assembly but i guess i am guilty of being the supplier
What next ban chemists for handing out dangerous chems because a person asked for them?
The future is horrible!
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #719270

you cant triplepost in your own peanut thats like 5 rules broken at once
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #719272

social anxiety is afraid of HIM
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #719274

kinnebian wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:46 am you cant triplepost in your own peanut thats like 5 rules broken at once
Idk wheres these peanut rules but wherever there are it sure is in a place i can't read due messy structure
The future is horrible!
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #719275

if your appeal gets denied immediately (in 1 post) what else would you do other than request a headmin review? also posting in your own peanut as a player or admin is cringe and we need to shame ppl for it again
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #719285

rule of cool. you should be able to build whatever you want, no matter how lethal it is, as long as it has even the slightest amount of safeties

if you spend an hour building something stupid but you put good effort into keeping it safe up to that point and it kills half the crew through happenstance or antagonism it shouldn't be your fault imho

unless you do it every round in which case rule 7 oh nooo

build stupid shit it's hilarious and is the beating heart of this game

with the limited context i have i call this a typical rule 0 situation. i am unable to make the call as to whether it should have been applied
Spoiler:

iansdoor
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Iansdoor

Post by iansdoor » #719303

Constellado wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:01 pm viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35646

What do you think? If you know you are helping an antag build a death machine, should you be allowed to help them?
Fickled situation, one hand you see a novice trying something new and asks you questions about what to do and you just join in and see where it goes and the other hand, emitters don't play around and those 3 in engineering will crit you every time you walk past the window, looking into the yellow rock.

I am curious to know how many folks were gotten and what the setup looked like! Maybe it was like brick mortars 96 emitter array of death, but I doubt that.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #719309

I think as much as we pipe on about this being a social game moments like this remind me that it's not.

If you do something solo it's fine and dandy but when you use social skills to employ someone else "hey I'm new :( can you teach me?" They get banned.

I see a lot of talk that if you do something in roleplay you should be able to avoid the rules and I'd like to see that employed here. A veteran engineer helping a new engineer with a goofy project that he doesn't think will amount to much harm at all only to realise that the guy he helped is an evil monster and he ended up building a crazy death Ray and now he needs to stop him is peak fucking rp and you cannot convince me otherwise.

Edit: I wish this wasn't I closed, I wish this had been removed and it's saddening that employing help from those around you as an antagonist gets them banned. So much for a social roleplay game man ERGHHH
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #719310

kieth4 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:42 pm I think as much as we pipe on about this being a social game moments like this remind me that it's not.

If you do something solo it's fine and dandy but when you use social skills to employ someone else "hey I'm new :( can you teach me?" They get banned.

I see a lot of talk that if you do something in roleplay you should be able to avoid the rules and I'd like to see that employed here. A veteran engineer helping a new engineer with a goofy project that he doesn't think will amount to much harm at all only to realise that the guy he helped is an evil monster and he ended up building a crazy death Ray and now he needs to stop him is peak fucking rp and you cannot convince me otherwise.

Edit: I wish this wasn't I closed, I wish this had been removed and it's saddening that employing help from those around you as an antagonist gets them banned. So much for a social roleplay game man ERGHHH
you have a real-ass point here, but the flipside is the ever-present threat of metafriending antags among other sort of issues along that spectrum. One of the many cases I've observed this week in particular that sadden me because we Cannot Have Nice Things
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #719313

Its always nice to see the bit I added about headmin reviews come up for otherwise stonewalled threads.
Hugs
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #719315

DrAmazing343 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:49 pm
kieth4 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:42 pm I think as much as we pipe on about this being a social game moments like this remind me that it's not.

you have a real-ass point here, but the flipside is the ever-present threat of metafriending antags among other sort of issues along that spectrum. One of the many cases I've observed this week in particular that sadden me because we Cannot Have Nice Things
I think metafriending antags is an entirely different issue tbh.

This ban hurts me because I cannot do engi or atmos or chem so sometimes as an antag I ask the chemist or atmos for a bomb or chem or some shit with an obviously bs reason and they comply!

If one of them got banned after I rped asking them for help and they said yes I can't say I'd be happy
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #719319

TheLoLSwat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:10 am BAAAAA BAAAAAA im a little sheep BAAAA BAAAA dont post in ur thread BAAAAA
ALL I hear around this place
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #719320

wesoda25 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:16 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:10 am BAAAAA BAAAAAA im a little sheep BAAAA BAAAA dont post in ur thread BAAAAA
ALL I hear around this place
ratio
gameaddict07
Byond Username: Gameaddict07

Post by gameaddict07 » #719328

If engineers weren't allowed to build stupid, highly dangerous machines with no practical use then this game would be much more boring, and the only people left playing engi would be the ones that treat it as Assistant Deluxe.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #719341

I agree with Keith here personally.

But you need to RP it and explain it in character to admins to make it work.

I am sure doing a good old bribe will make the admins be more lenient. Oh, you got bribed? That's a good IC reason ok you are free to go.

Maybe? Please tell me if that is not the case. I give antags the black box when I get something for it for example. You thought I was a goodie twoshoes? No. Bribeable.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #719344

I am very bribeable yeah I’ve gone from straight-up “I know you’re up to some shit” to “…how many credits again?”
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #719351

I do jobs for psychedelics and credits ingame
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #719354

Listen, making some super emitter deathbeam can be kinda cool but in this case they assembled it to just shoot into the hallway and kill people. This could’ve been rule 0 if there was some amount of roleplay or anything put into it, instead this just feels like self-antagging with more steps.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #719355

DrAmazing343 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:26 pm Archie didn't really come off as cold to me here, just concise and professional. They laid only straight-up facts about the case without any real opinion, they were just curt with it.

The venn diagram between the type of person who'd build a laser death ray machine in the hallways and the type of person who asks for headmin review off a denial on a three day(!!!) ban is a fucking circle.

Despite being labelled an unfun ban, it's absolutely hilarious to read about this.
Disappointed you think I would ask for a headmin review on a three day ban.
Off topic, as a created of death machines a lot of the time, as long as they are interesting (IE glass holodeck) and have some safeties, you should be allowed to do dumb stuff as non-antag. I hope that my death machines bring fun and make people have a wow holy shit moment. Like I have had an emitter setup that got the HOS as a trap, and also built a vending machine trap, and they told me after the shift that it got them to chuckle when they triggered it, and that’s the kind of feeling I want to give to everyone, just stupid machines that bring joy by being dumb ways to die. Idk I’m sure this is a good ban I haven’t read the appeal
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #719386

vect0r wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:51 am
DrAmazing343 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:26 pm Archie didn't really come off as cold to me here, just concise and professional. They laid only straight-up facts about the case without any real opinion, they were just curt with it.

Disappointed you think I would ask for a headmin review on a three day ban.
Off topic, as a created of death machines a lot of the time, as long as they are interesting (IE glass holodeck) and have some safeties, you should be allowed to do dumb stuff as non-antag. I hope that my death machines bring fun and make people have a wow holy shit moment. Like I have had an emitter setup that got the HOS as a trap, and also built a vending machine trap, and they told me after the shift that it got them to chuckle when they triggered it, and that’s the kind of feeling I want to give to everyone, just stupid machines that bring joy by being dumb ways to die. Idk I’m sure this is a good ban I haven’t read the appeal
okay this is true actually but your death machines fucking rule and don't tend to get people hurt irrevertably, so you must be doing SOMETHING right. I wrote that off-the-cuff, so take no heed to it. Help me make a mass-driver chain straight into the SM from outside engineering sometime please <3