favorite character gimmick?

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
snailomi
Byond Username: Snailomi

favorite character gimmick?

Post by snailomi » #720463

close to year of playing here, I have seen many a gimmick, and I have had many laughs over them, but I have to ask, what may be your favorite gimmick character? By this I mean, a character who may be a reference to something or doing a gimmick that relies on the character and sometimes job to be done reliably. Some examples may include a clown named Twitch Streamer who pretends to always be on a livestream.
my personal favorite and TOTALLY not biased one (very biased) would be a gimmick character I used shortly, a lizard by the name of Rides-The-Fire. I was a dark red lizard dressed to look like dragon install form sol badguy; I would roll chaplain to go dueling sect, take sacred chainsword, and do money matches as a "bounty hunter" (the bounties being anyone bored enough to duel me). I had fun! But what have YOU had fun with. just like, imagine me tilting the microphone to you with the news camera facing y
I like snails
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Re: favorite character gimmick?

Post by EmpressMaia » #720465

Brody butterfingers was great. Hd knew how much to play a gimmick out and when to stop and for how long to shelve the gimmick
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #720472

Reed Glover just being a nice person to be around.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #720478

Drawing a blank but we did have a fun cryptid named Ratman for a while who would play classical music in maintenance while performing dissections. There was also explodes-when-arrested... don't think they need an explanation.

My personal fav character to play is crinky dourgmoose, a blind manchild of sorts that of calls alcohol juice, needs his juice, and despises the cold. Absolutely exhausting to play as them tho so it's rare i pull em out
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #720492

this was probably my favorite and i don't need to explain why god bless your soul i know you're out there still
Attachments
image (31).png
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #720493

people being unnaturally kind as a gimmick was always fun as they usually always relied on the social aspect to see their goals through and nothing else.

Pom Patel, Effie Arnold, Morgan Holloway and Ani Myu to name a few
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Post by Jackraxxus » #720494

Gunther Viceroy
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #720506

Gerald Lopez
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #720525

Dalmationer's Lady Penelope Dreadful may be one of, if not my favorite single character gimmick.

She's played so seriously and so often it feels like it's disrespectful to call her a gimmick character, but Dalm plays them as a rich catty woman who demands treats and tricks and subservience from all around her in a way that always feels so comically delicious you never feel debased or nasty about it; True charisma mixed with a solid character concept, plus the originality of always switching it up (Did you know the wheelchair-bound catgirl killed five megafauna in one round with a fucking pickaxe!?!?) has always lead to her being a joy to have around.

Also +1'ing for Broly Butterfingers, the Fire Safety Clown and Bob the Union Builder Mime are some of the funniest gimmicks I've seen from both roles respectively.

In all honesty, we have such good gimmick characters, it's hard to recall or write all of them down. If only my brain was a filing cabinet, and I, a typewriter that never ran out of ink nor page.

Only then could I write fully to each who deserve it. Keep playing hard, folks— I'll always love ya for it.
Walter brought back Crack.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #720539

The thing about good gimmicks is that

1. Over the top gimmicks aren't busted out every shift. I love Bob the Union Builder Mime but it's because it's only popped out every now and then that it stays funny and special. Imagine someone doing that same gimmick every. single. round. It would get annoying as shit pretty quickly. I don't know how to word it but for characters with gimmicks like Lady Penelope Dreadful, they have a really good balance between being cartoonish while also not being super obnoxious.

2. They need straightmans (straightmen? that doesn't sound right) to interact off of. It's a lot less funny for a wacky character to do wacky stuff when EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is wacky. Case in point: in my experience Goon and Monkestation have the issue of seeming like 80% of the playerbase are being gimmick characters, which just gets annoying.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #720567

there are too many good characters with gimmicks that i honestly struggle to even begin to organize them, so i'll just go with my favourite gimmick character.

it's gonna be mary megablade every time. she was the "main character" of manuel and would act like a mary sue, like rounds revolved around her and she leaned into that energy perfectly. she carried around her "mary megablade's megablade of megablades" which was a giant plastic katana with its own backstory. if you tried to touch the megablade or were hit with it, then you were permanently dead and your character couldn't be acknowledged by anyone any more.

when people went along with it, it was extremely funny. when people didn't go along with it and mary had to struggle with the reality that she isn't the main character in an IC way, it was extremely funny. just perfect.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
snailomi

Post by snailomi » #720570

dendydoom wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:29 pm there are too many good characters with gimmicks that i honestly struggle to even begin to organize them, so i'll just go with my favourite gimmick character.

it's gonna be mary megablade every time. she was the "main character" of manuel and would act like a mary sue, like rounds revolved around her and she leaned into that energy perfectly. she carried around her "mary megablade's megablade of megablades" which was a giant plastic katana with its own backstory. if you tried to touch the megablade or were hit with it, then you were permanently dead and your character couldn't be acknowledged by anyone any more.

when people went along with it, it was extremely funny. when people didn't go along with it and mary had to struggle with the reality that she isn't the main character in an IC way, it was extremely funny. just perfect.
Yes, Megablade is great! They also went along with other stories well, I can remember being a paradox clone of them, and it led to a hilarious time as after it was discovered I was a clone (not holding the megablade is a big giveaway) I tried to be a gun version of mary megablade, and we worked together against a big threat that was in the round later on (I think it was xenos or something?). I got a shotgun and glasses and everything, it was great
I like snails
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #720572

I have an abiding fondness for quad-amputee Jim Football when I see him come out - so obviously somebody playing their own game and having fun with it, you love to see it folks, happy Superbowl handegg weekend
feedback appreciated here <3
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #720576

snailomi wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:43 pm
dendydoom wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:29 pm there are too many good characters with gimmicks that i honestly struggle to even begin to organize them, so i'll just go with my favourite gimmick character.

Yes, Megablade is great! They also went along with other stories well, I can remember being a paradox clone of them, and it led to a hilarious time as after it was discovered I was a clone (not holding the megablade is a big giveaway) I tried to be a gun version of mary megablade, and we worked together against a big threat that was in the round later on (I think it was xenos or something?). I got a shotgun and glasses and everything, it was great
I'll deflect it.jpg

MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #720577

Chumbo the Fat Green Lizard
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
snailomi

Post by snailomi » #720584

Sightld2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:48 pm
snailomi wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:43 pm

I'll deflect it.jpg
clearly you were a nuclear operative AI and she deflected it back to the shuttle you were on.
I like snails
Jackary
Byond Username: Jackary1

Post by Jackary » #720605

Mine.

End the thread.
I play Wolf Muddler on /tg/station Sybil, Monkestation, and Goonstation Heisenbee
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #720623

Describe ur gimmick IDIOT ! !
Walter brought back Crack.
Jackary
Byond Username: Jackary1

Post by Jackary » #720635

DrAmazing343 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:39 am Describe ur gimmick IDIOT ! !
being suuuper cool and funny :3
I play Wolf Muddler on /tg/station Sybil, Monkestation, and Goonstation Heisenbee
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #720646

Car motor, makes car motor noises and stalls mid walking cycle while being on ephedrine and meth.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #720669

I still think of K.N.I.G.H.T. (or whatever combination of acronym and name it was) the borg, who did a very excellent job of talking in olde English without breaking character. Mister President as always (bring him home), and a very old clown in a wheelchair who was retired from clowning.
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #720691

Jackary wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:44 am
DrAmazing343 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:39 am Describe ur gimmick IDIOT ! !
being suuuper cool and funny :3
Rizzing felinids
Looking like that one guy from xfiles
??
More rizzing