HOW 2 CAPTAIN, COOL KIDZ ONLY! volume 1

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

HOW 2 CAPTAIN, COOL KIDZ ONLY! volume 1

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #720700

Welcome brothers and sisters to my epic forum post on how to play as the captain.
Do note however on the lrp servers, (and Manuel to a certain degree). Your goal is to stay alive, as tiders and antags alike will kill you for your high quality loot.
IF you EVER die as a captain, your corpse will be looted and spaced by a non-antag assistant. Do not expect any revival if you die as a captain unless you have lots of friends/
Command your heads! Unless they got robbed and killed by a non-antag assistant. earn their respect. You need to in order to call for help for when you get attacked by a murderboning traitor/rule 12 breaking assistant.

The quartermaster , head of security, and head of personnel are all the most heavily armed people on the station. They can act as a bodyguard for you from the greytide, and can easily procure weapons from their department. (cargo guns, security armory, botany warcrimes)

The chief medical officer can do chemical nerding in order to sustain you or vanquish assistants. You can help them out by getting a bamboo crate for blowguns or a weapons crate since medbay is poorly defended.

The research director is a wildcard. They can easily improve all the other head of staff's capabilities, destroy the station with TTVs, do slime magic, or robotic mech powergaming. Research directors have a lot of carry potential but a lot of throw potential as well, do not hesitate to teach them in order to secure your control on the station.

The disk :disk:

shove this in your pocket, you can also put it in the ai upload or a room with a lot of turrets to challenge the syndicate, a certain somebody may arrive :newcop:

Weapons :revolver:

Commanding is a dangerous job, luckily for you you are afforded with top of the line equipment an armor, your default captain gear consisting of an energy gun, carapace, saber and baton should help fend off any tiders but you have all access! Here are some of the guns i like to have on me as a captain.
Remember to discard the saber, its good early game, but falls off hard, your baton is a better melee weapon.

mosin nagant: 60 damage, low firerate, useful against single tiders/antags, even if armored but poor against hordes. Best used with a laser carbine to make up for the low firerate.

.38 revolver 25 damage, 6 shot capacity. I like to modify mine to shoot .357. 60 damage at a high firerate that is capable of fitting in a bag is hard to say no to, you can easily get 2k in your bank account by stealing the vault's money.

Riot shotgun I like to load mine with laser scatter shells, can be sawed off too! Unfortunately theres only ever 3 on station so security is going to miss them, try and offer to trade for them, or help them get more guns

Autorifles I don't find autorifles useful anymore, 20 damage, lasers do 25, and autorifles are emag only, at least it has a high magazine capacity.

Hellfire laser/antique gun shoots 30 damage lasers. 10 mag capacity. Normally people frown upon captains who smash their display, and i ask... why? if you dont take the gun, then a random assistant will steal it and kill if you if you retaliate and try to take it back.

there's also some R&D gun kits you can fabricate.. if you can curry the favor of the research director.

Advanced energy gun slow self recharging at the cost of not being able to recharge manually, very useful.

X-Ray Gun 100% AP, goes through walls, 15 burn damage. Take out heavily armored tiders who stole your armor or elite modsuit wielding traitors today!

There are more research guns, but they're terrible.

Will make a part 2 later
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Re: HOW 2 CAPTAIN, COOL KIDZ ONLY! volume 1

Post by DrAmazing343 » #720702

Personally, I like to execute all non-command non-sec personnel preemptively because they're all going to tide or be antag anyway. Anyone who says or does otherwise is lying to themselves.
Walter brought back Crack.
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #720704

I read "100% AP" on the X-RAY Gun and thought "Ability Power", am I too far gone?...

Also, my tactic as the (Acting) Captain is to always forget the disk... Idk how I'm not banned from Captain yet, like, I forget that shit every single time
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #720708

Justice12354 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:50 am I read "100% AP" on the X-RAY Gun and thought "Ability Power", am I too far gone?...

Also, my tactic as the (Acting) Captain is to always forget the disk... Idk how I'm not banned from Captain yet, like, I forget that shit every single time
You can easily unban yourself, silly justice!

Also im pretty sure you vare-edit the disk so lone ops never spawn.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #720710

i dont care about specific damage numbers. i use whats cool. this is how all captains should function
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #720711

Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:54 am
Justice12354 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:50 am I read "100% AP" on the X-RAY Gun and thought "Ability Power", am I too far gone?...

You can easily unban yourself, silly justice!

Also im pretty sure you vare-edit the disk so lone ops never spawn.
How did you figure out my evil plan?!
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #720724

Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:11 am The disk :disk:

shove this in your pocket, you can also put it in the ai upload or a room with a lot of turrets to challenge the syndicate, a certain somebody may arrive :newcop:
???? The pockets are for a flash and a signaller connected to a singletank that you store in backpack. You aren't doing Captain correct if you don't put the disky into your internals box.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #720740

Disk goes in your emergency box

Hand tele goes in your pocket

Always use the hand tele and get good with it if you intend to play captain even semi-frequently

You only really need the antique and a dragnet along with the baton / egun / sword you are given

Don’t trust anyone but your HOS

Keep a medkit and some multiver

Also it’s cringe to break your display case fnr because it’s just kinda noob to do it when you aren’t in danger or anything. It’s centcomms super cool laser gun and there for the commoners to gawk at

Also dont go too hard gearing up or you’ll get slapped for powergaming
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #720748

EmpressMaia wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:26 am i dont care about specific damage numbers. i use whats cool. this is how all captains should function
Real shit 🤝
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #720751

TheLoLSwat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:46 pm It’s centcomms super cool laser gun and there for the commoners to gawk at
It's there... in a place only the captain can access... for people who can't enter the room to gawk at...
Yeah, sure, buddy.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
regie
Byond Username: Regie

Post by regie » #720757

As Captain, it’s not just about how things ‘should’ be abroad the station…It’s about how best to re-orient yourself when everything starts collapsing. That’s when you get to know who the REAL ones are.
TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #720758

ekaterina wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:24 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:46 pm It’s centcomms super cool laser gun and there for the commoners to gawk at
It's there... in a place only the captain can access... for people who can't enter the room to gawk at...
Yeah, sure, buddy.
if you arent hosting gawking sessions in your office that may just be a skill issue, but its a centcomm locked display case because the gun is centcomms
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #720760

as soon as you unbox your hellfire laser it immediately loses almost all of its collector's value, classic short term mindset
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #720767

Min maxing as captain is so weak
Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #720770

EmpressMaia wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 pm Min maxing as captain is so weak
I don't mean it, i don't want to dunk on the antags. it's just needed because you'll be hunted by every greytider for your loot, antag or not.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #720771

Pro tip: Disk goes in wallet, no one searches the wallet outside of grabbing your ID out of it
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #720781

I am the one captain that does not pick up the hand tele for lore reasons.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #720808

isn't it kind of big headed to start your thread off with a volume 1 like your'e sure there's going to be a volume 2
Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #720812

oranges wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:31 am isn't it kind of big headed to start your thread off with a volume 1 like your'e sure there's going to be a volume 2
My head keeps getting bigger but my brain getting smaller
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #720885

less brain more skull mean more move room

thinking hard. guide make Captain easy
feedback appreciated here <3
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #720900

Constellado wrote: I am the one captain that does not pick up the hand tele for lore reasons.
Based I guess but the hand tele is actually just a fun thing to use, ignoring all the powergaming tips related to it in the thread.

Like being in a discussion with a centcom rep who says "Well I'm going to go check on medbay" so you teleport straight over to medbay after they leave the room to make sure it's clean and such. Bonus points if you greet the doctors with "I NEED THIS MEDBAY CLEANED YESTERDAY."
Or throwing someone who is being annoying through a portal to "somewhere else".
Or popping right in on someone the moment they say your name.
Or closing with a conversation with "I'm out." and then just vanishing.

Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #720901

mrmelbert wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:47 am
Constellado wrote: I am the one captain that does not pick up the hand tele for lore reasons.
Based I guess but the hand tele is actually just a fun thing to use, ignoring all the powergaming tips related to it in the thread.

Like being in a discussion with a centcom rep who says "Well I'm going to go check on medbay" so you teleport straight over to medbay after they leave the room to make sure it's clean and such. Bonus points if you greet the doctors with "I NEED THIS MEDBAY CLEANED YESTERDAY."
i was tempted to go on about how you gotta powergame to not get murdered by killbaiting assistants for your loot, then i realized you main manuel so my point is moot.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #720902

Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:51 am i was tempted to go on about how you gotta powergame to not get murdered by killbaiting assistants for your loot, then i realized you main manuel so my point is moot.
It's alright I wouldn't have listened anyways

TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #720903

honestly if you just get good with the hand tele you can run around with no armor and only the hand tele its that good
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #720904

A real Captain hires an Assistant Officer at roundstart and gives them the mighty task of putting beacons in important (Read: Every) rooms on the station.
Walter brought back Crack.
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #720921

you can mostly do the same thing with a holopad since head of staff id's make them automatically answer the call
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #720943

Rageguy505 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:01 am you can mostly do the same thing with a holopad since head of staff id's make them automatically answer the call
Wait for real? Holy crap I never knew that.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
xzero314
Byond Username: Xzero314

Post by xzero314 » #720983

DrAmazing343 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:16 am A real Captain hires an Assistant Officer at roundstart and gives them the mighty task of putting beacons in important (Read: Every) rooms on the station.
I like to do this myself. While I do it I make the rounds of using all the departmental orders and seeing what jobs are missing.
ImageImageImageImage
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #720987

Rageguy505 wrote: you can mostly do the same thing with a holopad since head of staff id's make them automatically answer the call
Ignoring the ones you can't do with the holopad: it's just funnier to do it in person

Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #721038

It is indeed very fun but my character has a fear of bluespace teleportation tech.

Mind you it has been some time since bluespace bullied him...
I need a new admin to pick up the slack >:)
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler