Being Unrobust: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the cataplexy

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
DukePending
Byond Username: Duke Pending

Being Unrobust: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the cataplexy

Post by DukePending » #721532

Welcome. Feel free to admit here that you are not robust and have all the robust players make fun of you.

I'll start. Hi, I'm Duke Pending, and I am not robust.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Re: Being Unrobust: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the cataplexy

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #721533

I may not be robust, but I don't need to be robust to sabotage the station and kill you indirectly.
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #721535

Robustness is not binary. You may be more robust than some people and less robust than others, where do you draw the line between "robust" and "not robust"?
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #721537

You can be a robust doctor for example whilst bein an unrobust seccie. I might be a robust assistant but often times I am not a robust heretic. There's no real straight line.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #721540

Im a robust chef, a robust seccie, a robust doctor, a robust engi, a robust captain, a robust qm, a robust cmo, the list goes on

The only thing Im not robust as is sillycons
Living God

Extraordinary Person

DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #721545

My definition of robust is that it's never Just about combat; it's the sum of knowledge. The little intricate tricks of a job, like deleting trace gases as atmos, or memorizing exact formulas for chem, or a single batong into two disablers meaning full stamcrit! It's not about being able to use anything and win any fight, though that is HIGHLY robust, it's the jack-of-all-trades, or perhaps just master of some mentality that makes the robust spessman. A truly robust player has touched all fields, if only lightly, and a halfway robust player has mastery over several niche tactics or bits and pieces of knowledge to fumble their way between when worlds collide (Chem mixing and Botany to make fertilizers, for example.) and be able to handle the situations that come from such things.

I am not nearly the most robust combat player, but I'm greedily soaking up knowledge every day I play. And that? That's my essay of COPE on why I'm robust even if someone still hands my ass to me on a silver platter.
Walter brought back Crack.
DukePending

Post by DukePending » #721551

Okay. A lot of fair points here, all well taken. Robust is more than the 1v1 with a toolbox.

So, let's make it more specific: You are in 1v1 with toolboxes.

Personally, I'm most likely going down. I might get in a few good hits, but the last hit is probably going to the other guy.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #721554

Maybe it's the Serial Dungeon Master in me but I just got to enjoy observing and resultingly also grew to enjoy being a side character who dies in kind of a funny way to enhance what is generally going on in the round and then taps out to see what else is going on
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #721555

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:48 pm a robust seccie,
I will not let you lie to these good god fearing people.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #721556

I think the greatest sign of robustness is having fun in this game. If you're using your free time in spehss and it's being a good time, you're a robust gamer.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #721557

TheLoLSwat wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:00 pm
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:48 pm a robust seccie,
I will not let you lie to these good god fearing people.
good god is a term used for me, righteous is more accurate.

THEY FEAR ME! WHERE I ROAM BODIES FALL!
Living God

Extraordinary Person

warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #721571

I can't win in single combat with a baton against someone in a wheelchair but I can force a shuttle call in fifteen minutes if I so choose every time I roll antag.
Not sure if that makes me robust or not.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #721573

in one on one im really not that great but i win plenty of fights out there on the cold hard streets. my biggest annoyance is when people say they're not good at combat so they never try. if someone gets them they just let it happen. where's your heart? YOUR WARRIORS SPIRIT?? FIGHT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #721581

I stand still usually or move one tile without hitting them if someone shoves me now, IVE GOTTEN SICK OVER PETY DISPUTES IM ONLY RAISING MY HAND FOR BIG HITTING SHIT
Living God

Extraordinary Person

DukePending

Post by DukePending » #721591

dendydoom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:38 pm in one on one im really not that great but i win plenty of fights out there on the cold hard streets. my biggest annoyance is when people say they're not good at combat so they never try. if someone gets them they just let it happen. where's your heart? YOUR WARRIORS SPIRIT?? FIGHT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my defense, it's often because I've stopped responding physically for a moment.

No, seriously.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #721598

Sometimes I am a combat god and other times I am the most un-combat robust player you will see. Depends if I remember that I have tools.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #721636

Constellado wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:48 pm Sometimes I am a combat god and other times I am the most un-combat robust player you will see. Depends if I remember that I have tools.
This is the realest shit- after I die, a lot of the time, I can pinpoint several backups I had I forgot to use because I freaked out. Oh Well!
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #721637

I'm always unrobust
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #721664

I am also never robust. Playing medic in TF2 for way too many hours has given me a good “game sense” to get a feeling when something is off or when something bad is about to happen. It also taught me an important lesson that sticking together is a pretty solid idea. I can’t fight all that well to save my life but I’m pretty good at figuring out how to get out of a shitty situation. One time I was the only survivor on a 40 person late night tram shift.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #721667

Most people either spec in mechanical robustness or gamesense robustness and both are valid, but getting both down and calling on whichever one the situation needs is when you become noticeably “good” at ss13 for lack of a better term
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #721669

I love that sixth sense shit. Oftentimes, I feel what’s about to happen before it happens- I’ve just had too little IC reasoning to make a preemptive move and get owned. But that feeling- that sixth sense? It makes even dying and eating shit feel cathartic.

My most proud moment recently was cutting off some bullshit “I’m sorry” monologue to steal their axe and get them to like, 80-90 brute before the Revolver came out and game ended me. Another time recently where I had the sense but failed was The Medbay Gorilla cube incident, in which I positioned myself to tableshove onto glass a Chaplain Spy who got me caught up inspecting the cubes too curiously before they hit them with the fire extinguisher.

Never been delimbed so fast, I’m concerned about what they’re feeding those damn gorillas.
DukePending

Post by DukePending » #721670

I mean, I don't mind losing. I don't mind things going crazy (if you go onto Terry, Sybil, or Basil Bagil hoping to pull off some big project... well, good for you and good luck to you; but, don't be shocked when it all goes boom). I don't mind when I get outdone by someone else. It's a game. If they played it better then they win, and I'm cool with that.

I do get frustrated when it feels like I am actually unable to do anything about it. I don't mean simply being outplayed here, I mean legitimately f***ed from the get go. I have no shot.

Just have to live with it, of course; it's still only a game. I admit, though, I don't leave those situations thinking "Damn, I blew it, but that was fun." That's just pure, "Oh, what the f***...?"
winterseasalt
Byond Username: Winterseasalt

Post by winterseasalt » #721684

i am incredibly unrobust to the point its embarassing sometimes, but i think i want to owe a lot of that to just having poor reaction time
im as a slow as a snail
Imageyou will eat zunda at the end of the worldImage
► Show Spoiler
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #721690

I ascended once as a pacifist heretic. Does that make me robust?
scamoppi
Byond Username: Noahyoshi

Post by scamoppi » #721755

even after playing for a while i'm still kinda bad at clicking on people
not sure how much of that is because of my DCD and how much of it is due to me just being bad at it
but i've found a few ways to use my jani gear to get an advantage
although dying like a chump isn't all that bad because it fits the character more
i do try to get as many banjo hits in before i go down because i like the noise that it makes
𓆏 ribbit... (nothing to see here...)
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #721773

i'll fight harder if i care about the fight. the best way to do this is to give it context. if i'm fighting to defend someone that's getting owned or whatever then i'm gonna lock in a lot more. there should be a reason i want to win beyond protecting my ego around my ability to give myself carpal tunnel. this is when combat is at its peak for me, and most commonly narratives will release the pressure of a build-up with some sort of fight. it's the hero's journey made manifest.

planned 1v1s i honestly find quite boring. ppl are also super sensitive and can't take the L. they demand like 30 matches if they lose.
NSFW:
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #721774

dendydoom wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:35 am planned 1v1s i honestly find quite boring.
unless it's...
NSFW:
NSFW:
DukePending

Post by DukePending » #721778

No, no, that's illegal!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #721783

Being robust != being good at combat.

The idea that ss13 had a "robust" combat system was a joke about how shit it was and actually was a meta commentary about how to play the game.

Being robust means you are willing to die to make a better story.

Those who seek combat profiency are not robust, they are in fact unrobust.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #721821

oranges wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:26 am Being robust != being good at combat.

The idea that ss13 had a "robust" combat system was a joke about how shit it was and actually was a meta commentary about how to play the game.

VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #721851

vect0r wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:57 am
oranges wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:26 am Being robust != being good at combat.

did you know uno has a points system and you play multiple games to determine a winner?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #721855

after playing Uno online in a way that used the points i actually kind of like playing for points
their ripoff uno is fucked up though, there are "swap hands" cards and if you have the exact same card as someone just played you can just play it if you are fast enough and skip the turns of everyone between you and that player (best most evil rule)
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #721861

the word robust literally started as a joke around how clunky the combat is, as in, the game has "a robust combat system."

people who enjoy deathmatch more than ss13 genuinely worry me.
NSFW:
conrad

Post by conrad » #721863

dendydoom wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:29 pm the word robust literally started as a joke around how clunky the combat is, as in, the game has "a robust combat system."

people who enjoy deathmatch more than ss13 genuinely worry me.
I don't mind them. Someone running on fumes from how burnt out they are is gonna squeeze the last enjoyment outta the game from deathmatching leaving it much nicer for people who prefer the RP aspect when they play the basegame and realize they don't like it anymore. (this was a very long sentence to write without commas and my brain had to catch its breath)
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Constellado

Post by Constellado » #721883

I should play Deathmatch not for fun but so I can get robust enough for my poor characters. My characters deserve better combat skills, especially after living in the metal deathtrap that is ss13.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #721891

dendydoom wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:35 am i'll fight harder if i care about the fight. the best way to do this is to give it context. if i'm fighting to defend someone that's getting owned or whatever then i'm gonna lock in a lot more. there should be a reason i want to win beyond protecting my ego around my ability to give myself carpal tunnel. this is when combat is at its peak for me, and most commonly narratives will release the pressure of a build-up with some sort of fight. it's the hero's journey made manifest.

planned 1v1s i honestly find quite boring. ppl are also super sensitive and can't take the L. they demand like 30 matches if they lose.
only real way to fight is a 3v3 basketball game vs nuke ops
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
DATAxPUNGED
Byond Username: DATAxPUNGED

Post by DATAxPUNGED » #721895

DrAmazing343 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:21 pm My definition of robust is that it's never Just about combat; it's the sum of knowledge. The little intricate tricks of a job, like deleting trace gases as atmos, or memorizing exact formulas for chem, or a single batong into two disablers meaning full stamcrit! It's not about being able to use anything and win any fight, though that is HIGHLY robust, it's the jack-of-all-trades, or perhaps just master of some mentality that makes the robust spessman. A truly robust player has touched all fields, if only lightly, and a halfway robust player has mastery over several niche tactics or bits and pieces of knowledge to fumble their way between when worlds collide (Chem mixing and Botany to make fertilizers, for example.) and be able to handle the situations that come from such things.

I am not nearly the most robust combat player, but I'm greedily soaking up knowledge every day I play. And that? That's my essay of COPE on why I'm robust even if someone still hands my ass to me on a silver platter.
How do you delete trace gases as atmos???
- Brazilian Manuel Player

DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #721898

Something about deconstructing thermomachines, IIRC— ask Elysius Uruma, if you can track them down. I believe they're in normal tgstation server as well as the mannycord.
Constellado

Post by Constellado » #721899

DATAxPUNGED wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:56 pm How do you delete trace gases as atmos???
Atmos resin will work!
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #721911

Blacklist897 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:46 pm
dendydoom wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:35 am i'll fight harder if i care about the fight. the best way to do this is to give it context. if i'm fighting to defend someone that's getting owned or whatever then i'm gonna lock in a lot more. there should be a reason i want to win beyond protecting my ego around my ability to give myself carpal tunnel. this is when combat is at its peak for me, and most commonly narratives will release the pressure of a build-up with some sort of fight. it's the hero's journey made manifest.

still one of my favorite events and it's a damn shame there wasn't a full recording of it showing the basketball court the whole time
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #721915

Blacklist897 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:46 pm

or a basketball game to save the ol' holodeck from being demolished to make way for a walgreen's. complete with a talking dog on the team. who inevitably gets shot at some point. that was a good round.

basically the sentiment here is that basketball should replace all combat.
NSFW:
stairmaster
Byond Username: Stairmaster

Post by stairmaster » #721925

personally im bald but one time i saw willem dafriend beat gupta and reider meza in a 2v1
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #721934

stairmaster wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:13 am personally im bald but one time i saw willem dafriend beat gupta and reider meza in a 2v1
you dont wanna hurt fucking willem, because they are so sweet. It hurts to destroy the pure and innocent.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #721986

DrAmazing343 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:05 pm Something about deconstructing thermomachines, IIRC— ask Elysius Uruma, if you can track them down. I believe they're in normal tgstation server as well as the mannycord.
They actually CHANGED that! Thermomachines now release gas into atmos. It might be the worst change ever made.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #722010

oh no my meta strat was removed? game ruined!
conrad

Post by conrad » #722024

vect0r wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:42 pm
DrAmazing343 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:05 pm Something about deconstructing thermomachines, IIRC— ask Elysius Uruma, if you can track them down. I believe they're in normal tgstation server as well as the mannycord.
They actually CHANGED that! Thermomachines now release gas into atmos. It might be the worst change ever made.
Imagine not putting that gas in a canister and selling it.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
DukePending

Post by DukePending » #722135

I was in a round recently where I was very sure I was about to get killed by someone in maintenance, but I was more afraid of leaving maintenance because there was a clown car outside the door.

Death before dishonor.
junkgle
Byond Username: Junkgle

Post by junkgle » #722191

vect0r wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:42 pm
DrAmazing343 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:05 pm snip
:( :( :(
Constellado

Post by Constellado » #722214

Just live with the tiny gas impurities (unless the impurity is BZ) like I do.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #722298

Jacquerel wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:15 pm after playing Uno online in a way that used the points i actually kind of like playing for points
their ripoff uno is fucked up though, there are "swap hands" cards and if you have the exact same card as someone just played you can just play it if you are fast enough and skip the turns of everyone between you and that player (best most evil rule)
discords dumbass uno knockoff in the activities tab has a swap hands card but it doesn't require a color match or anything, its colorless, so my favorite trick is to get a reverse order card and wait for either of the people to the left or right of my slot to get really low while i'm collecting 40 cards and hand swap them, wherein i go about collecting the second hand swap card in the deck to do it all over again.

i've had a match go for 30 minutes because of it and it was just one game.