Manuelmin (the)drag(meme)s AI through the mud like a nut

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
8bot
Byond Username: 8botticus

Manuelmin (the)drag(meme)s AI through the mud like a nut

Post by 8bot » #721814

Bottom post of the previous page:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35811
no u don't get it my event is that u do what i say and i kill you
the gamer formerly known as "remanseptim"
iansdoor
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Iansdoor

Re: Manuelmin (the)drag(meme)s AI through the mud like a nut

Post by iansdoor » #721919

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:44 am
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:37 pm viewtopic.php?p=687164#p687164

Different scenario, was an appeal with poor ticket conduct.
Not the one I was thinking of: viewtopic.php?p=672539
Oh. Ah. What!
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #721924

wow that was fast, and we also even got our first of many dendypost. W headmins
PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #721926

Offtopic, but the "no admin complaints for events" rule should just be stricken at this point, since it's blatantly clear that
  • Admin banning conduct and admin button pushing are plausibly the only two major source of potential complaints, and "admin banning conduct" gets eyes on it from headmin review ban appeals anyway
  • There is no clear line when "admin button pushing" becomes an "admin event"
  • If a complaint is justified, everyone seems fine with ignoring the fact that the complaint came from an event and will give it reasonable consideration anyway
  • The rule is from 2015 (!!!), jeez
  • I'm not convinced it even reduces the amount of closed complaints
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #721927

Constellado wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:28 pm
Blacklist897 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:53 pm
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:43 pm We can't even take random rolls we were tangentially involved in the spawning of. If you go in asay and say like "man, this is boring, we should spice this up" and another admin then slams spawn blob - you'd almost certainly get a slap and a warning from a headmin if you signed up for and got that blob roll even though it was spawned by another admin.
bmon and his wizard rolls....... :evil:
I don't think bmons wizard rolls was spawned in by another admin though.

I wasn't in this round but I will say it looked like some people involved did have fun, but I assume it was the people that did not get merked by the ERT. Which... Yeah, friendships aside... it does look bad not gonna lie. TG is, as what timber says, a place for player first, and discourages admins acting in this way. It can be fun for some players having the occasional admin fun but I think it should be more curated story type events or really funny silly things that doesn't look like admin statics throwing their power.

I will be sad if Drag gets deadminned, but I don't think it's unfair, per se. The server culture is different to the other ones Drag has adminned in.

Manuel needs more events that are not just send official or inspector down.

You can have your admin fun by changing the sprite of an object and giving it anomalous or funny effects like what they do in Sybil. I miss seeing funny things like that.

Mind you I think I missed a recent round where SpongeBob showed up.
Yeah I feel like an inspector is scarcely even an event to begin with. I don't think it's entirely fair to defend this with the events shield, and the argument "No one else complained" is kinda moot given no one else would have reason to be upset.

I think this case wouldn't be so bad if there were an actual, good reason to send an ERT. In this case, it's like Timonk said, if I saw someone RR an Ai over something like this I'd be PMing them asking how they got to that point and discuss if that was entirely fair escalation. If the Ai was doing something actually egregious and fair enough to be struck down I really think it'd be fine.

Heck I'll go ahead and self report on a similar situation with me a week or two ago (Free admin complaint/batcave on me for anyone reading):
I was planning an event that involved finding the "most intelligent crewmember" on the station to solve a "top secret CC problem"
I hopped on down to find candidates, pit them against one another with Trivia, Math, Riddles, etc.
I was on the bridge meeting with command to get candidates when a Rat King most disturbingly licked me. So what do I do's? I shoot the Rat. Ded on the spot.
Later on I revive him anyways, but either way, some time passes and my beloved Jeffery D. Gaimen :heart: arrests me for the murder of the Rat King and leaves me in the holding cell for a bit where IIRC Tiders strip my gear and welp It's deathsquad time.
It was funny when like 10 minutes later Jeff pops in on me having beaten one of the squad and asks me, "Why'd you kill the Rat anyways?"
"He licked me a ton"
"Huh, well that's actually pretty fair-"
then we're both gunned down by pulse rifle fire

I guess that's effectively the same thing, calling an ERT to handle my own IC issue. But at the same time like, I don't think anyone was upset or surprised by what happened? I don't think my response was nearly as disproportionate. Everything made sense to all involved.

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #721929

i dont recall ever seeing a headmin council of four, thats a first!
im glad thatd drag didnt get deadminned theyre a good person and i believe in them to own their fuckup and move on with it
respect (let him do his thing)
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #721930

We need more admin events like this:
EXTREMELY LOW QUALITY METAL GEAR.png
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #721932

i once held a stupid cook off to settle a feud two people had escalated to CC and played a faux gordon ramsay that was fun
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #721933

PapaMichael wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:17 am Offtopic, but the "no admin complaints for events" rule should just be stricken at this point, since it's blatantly clear that
it's modern headadmin teams are too much of cowards to just point at it an dclose all event complaints no matter what.

a recipe for ensuring the admin team is full of the most no fun bastards ever, which is already happening.

People complaining about admins who run events are the same ones who complain when the no fun police squad ban them for their "epic RP" they did, but they dont realise they are creating the very environment that will kill them.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #721937

oranges wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:34 am
PapaMichael wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:17 am Offtopic, but the "no admin complaints for events" rule should just be stricken at this point, since it's blatantly clear that
it's modern headadmin teams are too much of cowards to just point at it an dclose all event complaints no matter what.

a recipe for ensuring the admin team is full of the most no fun bastards ever, which is already happening.

People complaining about admins who run events are the same ones who complain when the no fun police squad ban them for their "epic RP" they did, but they dont realise they are creating the very environment that will kill them.
This is completely offbase and rubbish.

I know people love admin events but they should not be an excuse to directly interfere with the round as an adminned player, nor should it be seen as an obligation by admins.

I do events sometimes, but those are more of the "power up a single player and crew gets warning" or "give them a task and see what they do, then react accordingly". Neither of those involve me literally going down into the round and interacting with players directly. If fact, if I do want to interact directly, I would want another admin managing my own event because that way that other admin can act based on what happened and what he thinks is fair.

At the point you're using admin powers or admin-spawned equipment in reaction to something that happened to your player character in the round, it potentially crosses the threshold into admin cheating. Potentially because it depends on the context and how you go about it.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #721949

kinnebian wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:28 am i dont recall ever seeing a headmin council of four, thats a first!
im glad thatd drag didnt get deadminned theyre a good person and i believe in them to own their fuckup and move on with it
How would a council of 4 handle deadlocks?

Do they ignore Dendy or does Dendy's vote break the deadlock?
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #721952

chocolate_bickie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:16 am
kinnebian wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:28 am i dont recall ever seeing a headmin council of four, thats a first!
How would a council of 4 handle deadlocks?

Do they ignore Dendy or does Dendy's vote break the deadlock?
they do a deathmatch irl and the first one to die gets disregarded
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #721955

Probably best overall outcome.

I hope any admins that observed Drag's event also think carefully if they didn't report it to the headmins too, since this could have been picked up by internal processes as well.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #721956

datorangebottle wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:30 am We need more admin events like this:
I once did an event where I pressed the same button 20 times and it was praised as a unique and interesting event and I’ve felt dead inside ever since. How am I supposed to put effort into an event if it won’t be as successful as spawning 100 of the same annoying mob and then shitposting over CC announcements about it
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #721958

NoxVS wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:51 am
datorangebottle wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:30 am We need more admin events like this:
I once did an event where I pressed the same button 20 times and it was praised as a unique and interesting event and I’ve felt dead inside ever since. How am I supposed to put effort into an event if it won’t be as successful as spawning 100 of the same annoying mob and then shitposting over CC announcements about it
Curse of the artist. Sometimes, the greatest events have commentary kept within one's own heart; only when their fellows speak out about it, would they, as well. So, too, here, it could be a situation where it was praised because others praised it, or perhaps just because it had a higher coverage than smaller, but better events.

Keep at it! I will always approve and be grateful for any event, big or small. (Unless it's a blueball CC announcement with nothing attached to it, i HATE that shit...)
Walter brought back Crack.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #721964

Admin events on manuel have been trashy for a while . It's really rare I see a event that's not an admins CC static shit talking over announcements
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #721973

EmpressMaia wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:51 pm Samson deals with friends much differently as sec
Should this be actionable? Should sec be forced to be fair to metafrens and give them actual sentences? I try to be, at least.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:18 pm It's all conversation you were reading alongside me. Non-zero amount of trash talking on complaint maker from misc admins, non-zero amount for deflection of responsibility from misc admins. That sort of stuff. It has a number of matching vibes, just in a different location than asay this time.
Timberpoes' ability to be impartial and critical of fellow admins made him a great headmin. Maybe he and Kieth will get to team up again, along with dendy, after this election season.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
8bot

Post by 8bot » #721983

EmpressMaia wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:42 pm Admin events on manuel have been trashy for a while . It's really rare I see a event that's not an admins CC static shit talking over announcements
the masculine urge to shovestun, humiliate, and grief the admin's quirky and epic and cool centcom static
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #721988

ekaterina wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:06 pm
EmpressMaia wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:51 pm Samson deals with friends much differently as sec
Should this be actionable? Should sec be forced to be fair to metafrens and give them actual sentences? I try to be, at least.
Rule 2 Precedents wrote: 2. Similar to how characters are allowed to know everything about in-game mechanics or antagonists under rule 2, characters are allowed to have persistent knowledge/relationships/friendships with the caveat that knowledge of a character being an antagonist from a previous round is not used maliciously.

3. Character friendships should not be exploitative in nature or be used to gain an unfair advantage. Having an IC friendship with another player does not, for example, justify giving them all-access each round.
It is. It's harder to prove off a single incident, and there's often a colorable area of doubt where people might make up or think they had good reasons to treat their friends differently.

Messing up others' rounds for no other reason than that your and another person's character are friends is against the rules.

Punishing or pardoning in your friends' favor in powerful metaprotected roles is especially serious.

A good rule of thumb to apply might be: if you wouldn't do this for anyone you don't already know and like, don't do it.
feedback appreciated here <3
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #721994

People on Manuel can’t just beat up cc officers? I make it a tradition to kidnap and hold them for ransom after declaring them to be syndicate infiltrators
8bot

Post by 8bot » #721996

this especially if they're non-human
centcom doesn't hire non-humans to positions of authority after all
Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #721998

TheLoLSwat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:36 pm People on Manuel can’t just beat up cc officers? I make it a tradition to kidnap and hold them for ransom after declaring them to be syndicate infiltrators

on my second round playing captain I had centcom disk inspectors show up and after a firefight it turned out they were real disk inspectors who had discovered our nuke disk was just a copy of doom 2, so after getting bullied for going to centcom I resolved that this would never happen again.
so when "disk inspectors" showed up the next time a few months later I handed it over no questions asked. that time it was real nukies. (they forgot to bolt down the nuke and some random dude pushed it into space)
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #722000

Blacklist897 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:36 pm People on Manuel can’t just beat up cc officers? I make it a tradition to kidnap and hold them for ransom after declaring them to be syndicate infiltrators

on my second round playing captain I had centcom disk inspectors show up and after a firefight it turned out they were real disk inspectors who had discovered our nuke disk was just a copy of doom 2, so after getting bullied for going to centcom I resolved that this would never happen again.
so when "disk inspectors" showed up the next time a few months later I handed it over no questions asked. that time it was real nukies. (they forgot to bolt down the nuke and some random dude pushed it into space)
holy shit this was me and ...... roger bradburton i think? playing the doom 2 inspectors!!!! we took it back to centcom to install it on spook's work computer and she shot me.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #722001

i can attest to this because i had macrobomb implant even my interns and of course you blew up your own station in the process
Spoiler:

Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #722002

to elaborate: if someone messes with your ""event"" just give them a decent length of appropriately in-character rope, remember the golden rule, and smile :)
Spoiler:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #722004

Seems like a pretty good outcome. Would have been a shame to see dragmeme go over this, theyre good stuff.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #722005

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:57 pm Seems like a pretty good outcome. Would have been a shame to see dragmeme go over this, theyre good stuff.
I agree. Pretty good outcome all things considered.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Post by Bmon » #722006

Timberpoes wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:31 am I hope any admins that observed Drag's event also think carefully if they didn't report it to the headmins too, since this could have been picked up by internal processes as well.
it turns out i was online for this but had no idea an event was even being run until i saw the complaint and looked at the logs

would have been very critical of this considering very similar adminbus happened to me personally but was far too busy spreading MANAGED DEMOCRACY FOR SUPER EARTH to notice (and by that i mean playing helldivers while admining)
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #722009

Archie700 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:39 am
oranges wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:34 am

This is completely offbase and rubbish.

I know people love admin events but they should not be an excuse to directly interfere with the round as an adminned player, nor should it be seen as an obligation by admins.

I do events sometimes, but those are more of the "power up a single player and crew gets warning" or "give them a task and see what they do, then react accordingly". Neither of those involve me literally going down into the round and interacting with players directly. If fact, if I do want to interact directly, I would want another admin managing my own event because that way that other admin can act based on what happened and what he thinks is fair.

At the point you're using admin powers or admin-spawned equipment in reaction to something that happened to your player character in the round, it potentially crosses the threshold into admin cheating. Potentially because it depends on the context and how you go about it.
as the leader of the no fun allowed squad you would of course say that.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #722018

dendydoom wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:39 pm
Blacklist897 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 pm
holy shit this was me and ...... roger bradburton i think? playing the doom 2 inspectors!!!! we took it back to centcom to install it on spook's work computer and she shot me.
i found a pic of it
NSFW:
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
conrad

Post by conrad » #722019

oranges wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:28 pm as the leader of the no fun allowed squad you would of course say that.
When were you ousted Mr "Let's remove buckshot from the game" Esq.?
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #722022

Mom and dad are fighting
DATAxPUNGED
Byond Username: DATAxPUNGED

Post by DATAxPUNGED » #722095

Is it like, an expected thing for a deathsquad to be called if you wrong a CC commander?
- Brazilian Manuel Player

kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #722096

DATAxPUNGED wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:07 pm Is it like, an expected thing for a deathsquad to be called if you wrong a CC commander?
theres no real standard for this
but honestly deathsquads are overkill because theyre deathsquads
a low alert ert or something would probably be more reasonable
conrad

Post by conrad » #722097

kinnebian wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:09 pm
DATAxPUNGED wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:07 pm Is it like, an expected thing for a deathsquad to be called if you wrong a CC commander?
5 interns with no guns would've been funnier
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #722101

conrad wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:38 pm
kinnebian wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:09 pm
5 interns with no guns would've been funnier
Give them brass knuckles and black suits
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #722111

Deathsquads are rarely used because of how overgeared they are. It usually takes some insane IC factors for an admin to send a Deathsquad because they are just about to ruin a whole bunch of players' shifts or try deny some greentext.

I'd usually send Deathsquads with a mission to exterminate all living crew then arm the nuke, usually with a 5 minute warning and no Deathsquad spawn if the shuttle was called in that time. This would be to bait the antags to wrap the shift up if they wanted a chance to greentext.

And if there was a hard-fought battle with stalemate antag taking too long like Blob that prevents shuttle calls, I'd take a different approach. If it was a cool blob (like a blob that drops themselves in the Supermatter chamber) I'd tell the Deathsquad to eliminate all crew, ignore the biohazard and when their job was almost done they'd receive new mission parameters. That would be my countdown for the blob to win, if it was still taking too long and the crew were mostly exterminated the Deathsquad would be told to arm the nuke and scarper.

I disliked sending them against antags unless the antag was being super lame to the point where I basically wanted to right click delete them. It never felt right to deny a greentext just because an antag was doing good. But if an antag was drawing out the shift in a lame way I'd send them some threats to cycle ghosts back into the game and give deadchat a chance to get some vicarious revenge.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #722112

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:51 pm I disliked sending them against antags unless the antag was being super lame to the point where I basically wanted to right click delete them
Sending ERTs against powerful antags who murderbone should be encouraged among admins. The antag gets an actual challenge (if you wanted a fight, you got one; if you wanted to kill helpless people, RIP bozo), ghosts get back in the round, and the round moves forward.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #722113

ekaterina wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:57 pm
Timberpoes wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:51 pm I disliked sending them against antags unless the antag was being super lame to the point where I basically wanted to right click delete them
Sending ERTs against powerful antags who murderbone should be encouraged among admins. The antag gets an actual challenge (if you wanted a fight, you got one; if you wanted to kill helpless people, RIP bozo), ghosts get back in the round, and the round moves forward.
It's the solution MSO advocates for whenever admins used to start moaning about antags murderboning and it not being against the rules but being super lame.

Give them a nigh-impossible challenge to overcome AND make killed players happy at having the power fantasy reversed by playing big ERTs and Deathsquads instead of little Bambi crew members? Where do I sign?!
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #722114

(Edit: So it is encouraged but not widely practiced.)
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #722116

Players rightly object to no-win and forced scenarios.

A deathsquad (or any ERT to a lesser degree) is functionally the world saying "time to die" and tipping the scales against what players in the world have affected.

Part of the disjunct is that the deathsquad doesn't appear in any of the following:
-total Syndicate takeover
-nukies
-a reality-destroying cult
-an ascended godhead
-zombies
-rogue supercomputers
-The Blob

The problem with sending them irregularly is that it begs the question and stretches credibility to make people try to answer: why now? Why not any of those other times?

Doing it frequently or even at request begs the question: why not make the whole station out of the ERTs? Why have anyone here to begin with if there's always a set of tongs waiting to pull their fat out of the fire?

In both cases, player agency and suspension of disbelief face serious challenges. It's not consistent, so it becomes easy to instead identify the invisible hand and (maybe good) game reasons to send an ERT. It's in the hands of the world/admins, not the players, so it can then become easy to read into an unfavorable outcome: this wasn't what would have happened, this was the GM playing kingmaker against me with all the power, and there was nothing I could do.

There's a rainbow of greys involved in this. Telegraphing helps - warnings, lower level messages, sending an intern with a clipboard at first instead of the whole damn cavalry sell that the world doesn't have perfect information and gives more opportunities for free player choice. You can't hide from a ghosted admin, but you can hide from, brainwash, or kill a player confederate sent to investigate a distress call.

A deathsquad is a hammer that, bar terrible skill issues, can force an outcome a lot of the time. More lightly-geared and numerous respondents can be mowed down (which feels cool,) sell that Nanotrasen is a great place to work at, and get more people back in the action if you're pulling from a pool of the already-dead.

edit2: crucially, the world has to be able to take an L.

Iamgoofball made a system of basically player-initiated, graduating ERTs for Skyrat called 911 - basically starting off with mooks, barely-geared marshals in old-time cowboy gear, firefighters with basic fire locker equipment, and paramedics, you could (can over there) use credits to buy some reinforcements as the station.

It's a great system conceptually and I used to love routing people towards it in practice. It tied cargo to the fate of the larger station, gave command a meaningful button to press, and got around a lot of the issues with ERTs here being strictly admin-initiated while having the gameplay benefits of a well-calibrated ERT.

I wish we had it here. (edit: not to say it isn't something I'd be glad to do by hand if people asked, but having the system entirely in player hands was a good thing.

Except Doggino's. If you're reading this goof, I hope you know I spent at least ten hours IC and OOC disentangling pizzaboy bullshit over Doggino's. WHY DO THE MANAGERS HAVE BLUE AA CARDS)
feedback appreciated here <3
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #722123

I do really really enjoy the whole ERT/Dsquad dynamic, but you’ve got a whole lot of good points there on why it’s the “sometimes” treat over an “all the time” buffet.

Another thing to consider in the vein of limited information, as far as I’ve seen, is secluded or cut off players who may be almost or entirely unaware of threats at all. These are the players who type “Bored call?” When a desworder has mowed down command. These are the players who will stare at the face of God after having pushed boxes all shift, more confused than horrified. More than anything, these are the players that get fucked over “FNR” when a dsquad comes. Or an ERT with a variable objective, since I’ve seen that too.

The dynamic is much more interesting when you telegraph the full announcements, and multiple, so all can see. I’ll be mildly more original here and say this 100% should be the option visible to all crew, rather than the classified report sent to comms consoles.

Also, while we’re at it— recently, as nonantag during a shift where shit went wild and off the rails, the crew was mutinying after CC faked a nuke countdown with a bunch of interns. We had no idea at the time that it was fake, and so started a whole lot of scrambling to find and collaborate with a traitor to hack the shuttle, prepping pods and otherwise to get away.

I held up Engineering and fixed three or four separate instances of subtle sabotage, and caught the eye of an admin, who PM’d me asking if it was cool to put a Syndicate death warrant on my head. I was super fucking stoked to fight after dealing with subterfuge, so of course I said yes— and, to make a short point of a lot of words, I think that’s probably not so bad an idea to take further with some antags, barring those who get really immersed.

Asking OOC consent to face godawful odds removes a feeling of being robbed, while allowing one to take on a greater challenge for their own satisfaction. Not so bad a thing to make more common, I think.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #722133

DendyCraft™ needs a software update. It appears DendyCraft™ does not have capital letter capabilities as of right now.

Brought to you by GrammarNinja™.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #722134

Constellado wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:43 am DendyCraft™ needs a software update. It appears DendyCraft™ does not have capital letter capabilities as of right now.

Brought to you by GrammarNinja™.
not while i yet live
conrad

Post by conrad » #722140

Manuelmins refusing to use full stops and capital letters smh.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #722147

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:00 pm It's the solution MSO advocates for whenever admins used to start moaning about antags murderboning and it not being against the rules but being super lame.

Give them a nigh-impossible challenge to overcome AND make killed players happy at having the power fantasy reversed by playing big ERTs and Deathsquads instead of little Bambi crew members? Where do I sign?!
So you're saying I should spawn colossal blood crawling spiders to kill lowpop murderboners. I knew I was right.
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #722148

always felt like manuel doesn't ever get events, it gets side stories

sybil and terry get events, large sweeping effects on rounds that anyone can easily jump into and mess around with, my favorite instance of which was i think a scriptis event in which he dropped a mystery crate into the tram station bar and just let it roll after the crew paid alotta cash to use it.

was it elegant? no, it was a bunch of people mashing a box for gamer gear because they knew they could get it.
was it an intelligently designed event? no, you spawned in a box and let people hit it and made a couple of CC announcements about it.

the thing is that neither of these points matter, because it was genuinely an incredibly fun event, everyone was fighting over the box and you could see people filled with pure latent paranoia over what was gonna happen when someone hit that brown cube, a miner pulled a radio and during the animation of it hovering over the box you could see the detective draw his .38 and 3 other people started shuffling over to the miner thinking he won a debug uplink, no it was just a regular radio, and thats waht made it special, it was simple, anyone could participate easily, and it was funny the whole way through.

cue what i would call a manuel event, manuel events always felt way more concise in what they were doing, they always have a general premise and typically tend to follow that plotline exclusively for the most part, i don't ever see anyone actually try and knock the boundaries down which, in all fairness is a player issue over an admin issue, but i feel like you shouldn't ever set up a plotline for events in the first place, might just be me but i view it as coercing people into linearity, its not forced (unless the admin is bad) but it never really sells the event

"but dongle you don't play the game you sit behind a desk the entire time" is the point i've made against myself because its the best anyone could use against me, and its completely 100% true, the problem i have is that any event on any other server would still reach enough for me to notice that goin' down, the effects of summoning the pasta monster created from the chefs dark ritual will reach my front desk when sec is trying their very hardest to contain it by shooting down the hallways like spastics, space lawyers doing their business towards the captain for gross negligence tends to not.

this is about as clear as i can get on "constitution of events" and i love all of you

P.S. i know i never even stated a manuel event in specific to reflect this, and thats because i genuinely can't remember any, if you've got examples for or against any of these points i would love to hear them because i just genuinely can't remember any huge overarching all over the place events on manuel, maybe my old-man-shaking--his-fist-at-the-sky type memory patterns got to me.

also this is not jabs at admins in particular i know all the work you put into events and i hope you all have fun doin' what you're doin', and i love you all except striders because he calls me mean names all the time and won't be friends with me i tried to give him some orange juice and he threw the fuckin whole bottle on the floor like who does that cmon man

P.S.P.S. i forgot this was a peanut uhhhhh i think it was handled appropriately (rude words backhandedly stated that do not reflect the words i just said) i love you all goodnight
Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #722150

DrAmazing343 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:18 am I do really really enjoy the whole ERT/Dsquad dynamic, but you’ve got a whole lot of good points there on why it’s the “sometimes” treat over an “all the time” buffet.

Another thing to consider in the vein of limited information, as far as I’ve seen, is secluded or cut off players who may be almost or entirely unaware of threats at all. These are the players who type “Bored call?” When a desworder has mowed down command. These are the players who will stare at the face of God after having pushed boxes all shift, more confused than horrified. More than anything, these are the players that get fucked over “FNR” when a dsquad comes. Or an ERT with a variable objective, since I’ve seen that too.

The dynamic is much more interesting when you telegraph the full announcements, and multiple, so all can see. I’ll be mildly more original here and say this 100% should be the option visible to all crew, rather than the classified report sent to comms consoles.

Also, while we’re at it— recently, as nonantag during a shift where shit went wild and off the rails, the crew was mutinying after CC faked a nuke countdown with a bunch of interns. We had no idea at the time that it was fake, and so started a whole lot of scrambling to find and collaborate with a traitor to hack the shuttle, prepping pods and otherwise to get away.

I held up Engineering and fixed three or four separate instances of subtle sabotage, and caught the eye of an admin, who PM’d me asking if it was cool to put a Syndicate death warrant on my head. I was super fucking stoked to fight after dealing with subterfuge, so of course I said yes— and, to make a short point of a lot of words, I think that’s probably not so bad an idea to take further with some antags, barring those who get really immersed.

Asking OOC consent to face godawful odds removes a feeling of being robbed, while allowing one to take on a greater challenge for their own satisfaction. Not so bad a thing to make more common, I think.
the nuke that round was not fake
Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #722151

Donglesplonge wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:09 am

P.S. i know i never even stated a manuel event in specific to reflect this, and thats because i genuinely can't remember any, if you've got examples for or against any of these points i would love to hear them because i just genuinely can't remember any huge overarching all over the place events on manuel, maybe my old-man-shaking--his-fist-at-the-sky type memory patterns got to me.

also this is not jabs at admins in particular i know all the work you put into events and i hope you all have fun doin' what you're doin', and i love you all except striders because he calls me mean names all the time and won't be friends with me i tried to give him some orange juice and he threw the fuckin whole bottle on the floor like who does that cmon man

P.S.P.S. i forgot this was a peanut uhhhhh i think it was handled appropriately (rude words backhandedly stated that do not reflect the words i just said) i love you all goodnight
cringe towerpost but the massive scale manny events I have seen are: The Path, Rust station and meat station 1 and 2, the bluespace story arc , the time travel thing chesh did and the best one of all: giving the clown full debug items and watching them go insane with godlike power as the crew and admin statics all attempted to claim the artifacts for themselves.
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #722153

Blacklist897 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:15 am
Donglesplonge wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:09 am

cringe towerpost but the massive scale manny events I have seen are: The Path, Rust station and meat station 1 and 2, the bluespace story arc , the time travel thing chesh did and the best one of all: giving the clown full debug items and watching them go insane with godlike power as the crew and admin statics all attempted to claim the artifacts for themselves.
its ok i have no idea what towerposting is and i refuse to believe its a thing because someone on this forum will tell me its a real thing and that i've "talked about it somewhere before" (gangster communist police state drivel)

but i am glad that someone has already given me massive scale events because it proves that i'm probably just wrong
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #722157

We tried to break out of the rails with rust station 2 but the powers that be had other plans.

Fuck I need to finish editing that video.

It is an hour long help.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #722188

Sometimes on Bagil the Pizza place opens up and we all go to eat pizza. That's a pretty fun event.