Cut character backstories

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
snailomi
Byond Username: Snailomi

Cut character backstories

Post by snailomi » #723452

Backstories are fun ways for players to characterize their spacemen. They can give explanations to the ways some characters act or react to given situations, and it is neat to see it in action when used properly. I have seen many backstories, and many of which I love- but, as someone who likes to create a backstory for each character I create, there are many that get left behind or don't get to be seen, either because I never make a character out of the backstory I had come up with, or I replace them with another character (this has happened too many times for me to count, but scrubby can count for me. Around 330 times, it has happened to me.). So, I would like to hear from you all! What are some backstories you may have come up with for a character, that for one reason or another, hasn't been shown to /tg/station? Maybe it is one you have in another server and had not adapted to fit here. Maybe you tried it, but abandoned it in favor of something else? Maybe you just don't like it! Whichever reason it is, share it!
I like snails
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Re: Cut character backstories

Post by Constellado » #723463

I wonder how many LRP players have a backstory.

I would say look at my lore thread, however most of it is not my characters deep backstory and more what he has been doing between rounds.

The hyper scrunched up version:

Volkan Magna exploited bluespace tech, bluespace punishes him by teleporting him to NT without any of his stuff. He gets stuck in a forever NT contract and bluespace still bullies him to this day.

There is obviously a lot more to it but I would rather have people figure it out on their own.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #723474

When I brought Hali Psy over, I had to retcon a small bit of his backstory to where being as much of a nutty fruitcake as he is was something NT cared less about than that he was a cat.

otherwise, I don't think there are any I've lost even in part to tg. It's a pretty ecumenical setting beyond the speciesism. You can be like "yeah I work for the Syndicate and my dad is from the Wizard Federation, I cast spells at home but have to take Normal Pills to come here to keep it a secret" and I can be like

"damn bro that's crazy you said your girlfriend goes to a school in Canada?"

you really can do a lot if you don't care about getting proven a little wrong by the mechanics and probably come up with some explanation that'll go as far as the people around you are willing to "yes, and" it, which can be a long ways if you're otherwise being a good sport and within the rules

god help you if you are a moth named Soup though
feedback appreciated here <3
snailomi

Post by snailomi » #723482

Higgin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 am god help you if you are a moth named Soup though
What if my character's backstory is that they are a bowl of sauce that was polymorphed by a wizard into a moth? Then, can i name my moth Hollandaise?
I like snails
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #723491

snailomi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:22 am
Higgin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 am god help you if you are a moth named Soup though
What if my character's backstory is that they are a bowl of sauce that was polymorphed by a wizard into a moth? Then, can i name my moth Hollandaise?
who named them that, was it the wizard or self-chosen or what
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #723508

Maia roentgen started out as a self insert then became a character through ingame rp and making things up about her. Like how she was a narsian cultist in college

I tried to make a story for a character named shinrartra. They are a Tgmc veteran who saw their wife killed infrojt of them by a ravager, so they are pretty mean and drink alot
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #723521

i had an entire planned backstory for my two characters because i like lorewriting for the characters i make in anything thats open form like that but as it got into the pages of writing i realized that having the backstory planned doesn't work well except for characters who're setting up for something later so i just stuck with a very basic write-in for both after that n just spit taked everything else

i still make up random planets and scenarios while trying to IC'ly explain things my characters have knowledge of because of their many years of travelling

also had a lore thread for those questions it was fun shoutouts to the real ones mooney and shane yall were the goats of Q&As there were probably more people who were good at it but i don't remember that stuff too well
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #723533

For me, backstory is almost always something that exists in a quantum-suspended state, only read when necessary, only written upon round end.

Because I play my characters only barely consistently in the same way, but all falling within archetypes, I think the easiest way to put it is that all my blorbos are on Manuel TV Show, and each episode is a different bit of flanderization that will result in more or less of the backstory being brought to gameplay.

Due to this, perhaps I've lost out, or retconned a fair bit of lore, but honestly? I tend to keep my roster small, so most of the character backstory is never truly cut, just reworked. If a round demands the backstory, it will have it! Mostly, it'll affect my quirks and my first impression. From then onwards is what's the most fun or interesting to me.

Fun fact: My main static, Jane Sierpenski, began life as a MAN named JIM CARPENTER, who's still visible on my scrubby. When I got comfortable in Sybil, I got tired of playing a man all the time, so Jane was born! I chose the last name Sierpenski due to the wonderful game Signalis, and my homoerotic tendencies. I love women... in any case, Jim Carpenter became Jim Sierpenski, and when pondering what role he should take, I dropped all of his prior interactions with literally everyone on Sybil he'd ever spoken to and made him anew as a grizzled, yet somewhat doddering old dad of Jane. Makes for fun roleplay with people that know Jane, but not Jim. The rest of the lore sprang up around 'em, but funnily enough, it's all still so MALLEABLE!

Including when Snailomi created a sister for Jane, and EVERYTHING got pushed a few inches this way or that to accommodate. The lore goes hard, though.
Walter brought back Crack.
snailomi

Post by snailomi » #723550

Higgin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:59 am
Higgin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 am snip
snip snip
The wizard did it and then just kind of fucked off so it just called itself the sauce it used to be. Who doesn't want to he named after fucking egg yolks and butter, though?
I like snails
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #723552

snailomi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:13 pm
snip snip
The wizard did it and then just kind of fucked off so it just called itself the sauce it used to be. Who doesn't want to he named after fucking egg yolks and butter, though?
not this moth, i'll tell you what
snailomi

Post by snailomi » #723553

Higgin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:29 pm
snip snip
snip snip snip
i'm running out of snips
I will play a moth named hollandaise and either prove a point or be bwoinked for the cause (maybe) (please check back in to see if this is a joke or not) (I will ahelp to ask probably)
I like snails
winterseasalt
Byond Username: Winterseasalt

Post by winterseasalt » #723554

DrAmazing343 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:01 am For me, backstory is almost always something that exists in a quantum-suspended state, only read when necessary, only written upon round end.

Because I play my characters only barely consistently in the same way, but all falling within archetypes, I think the easiest way to put it is that all my blorbos are on Manuel TV Show, and each episode is a different bit of flanderization that will result in more or less of the backstory being brought to gameplay.

Due to this, perhaps I've lost out, or retconned a fair bit of lore, but honestly? I tend to keep my roster small, so most of the character backstory is never truly cut, just reworked. If a round demands the backstory, it will have it! Mostly, it'll affect my quirks and my first impression. From then onwards is what's the most fun or interesting to me.

Fun fact: My main static, Jane Sierpenski, began life as a MAN named JIM CARPENTER, who's still visible on my scrubby. When I got comfortable in Sybil, I got tired of playing a man all the time, so Jane was born! I chose the last name Sierpenski due to the wonderful game Signalis, and my homoerotic tendencies. I love women... in any case, Jim Carpenter became Jim Sierpenski, and when pondering what role he should take, I dropped all of his prior interactions with literally everyone on Sybil he'd ever spoken to and made him anew as a grizzled, yet somewhat doddering old dad of Jane. Makes for fun roleplay with people that know Jane, but not Jim. The rest of the lore sprang up around 'em, but funnily enough, it's all still so MALLEABLE!

Including when Snailomi created a sister for Jane, and EVERYTHING got pushed a few inches this way or that to accommodate. The lore goes hard, though.
jane sierpenski
Imageyou will eat zunda at the end of the worldImage
► Show Spoiler
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #723593

So true??
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #723607

snailomi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:02 pm
Higgin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:29 pm
snip snip
snip snip snip
i'm running out of snips
I will play a moth named hollandaise and either prove a point or be bwoinked for the cause (maybe) (please check back in to see if this is a joke or not) (I will ahelp to ask probably)
Admin-PM from Higgin: nice
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #723613

gupta started as a self insert but he became too insane to be me at all.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Dalmationer
Byond Username: Dalmationer

Post by Dalmationer » #723614

it's never come up in a round, really, but my character Mariette Gloom's great-great grandfather, Doctor Gloom, was killed by bananaman.

I used to play penelope dreadful much meaner, but i ended up playing her nicer because i learned that if you do it right, you can get people to agree to pretty much anything you tell them to do.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #723623

Hesperid.PNG
Hesperid.PNG (9.56 KiB) Viewed 674 times
This silly moth here sold it's pronouns and capacity for violence(pacifism quirk) to Archfey in exchange for immortality (Coming back from the dead between shifts)

Named after Hesperids which are a kind of Nymph in greek mythology. Where a Dryad is connected to a Tree, and a Naiad is a River, a Hesperid is connected to the sunset. (Or as I understand it at least, a very nice place to view a sunset.) To reflect this in the space age, I take Tagger and Posterboy and just make a lil spot to boost people's mood near starlight at some window or another.

EDIT: I did not read where you said cut, oops.

Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #723626

Constellado wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:29 pm I wonder how many LRP players have a backstory.

I would say look at my lore thread, however most of it is not my characters deep backstory and more what he has been doing between rounds.

Volkan Magna exploited bluespace tech, bluespace punishes him by teleporting him to NT without any of his stuff. He gets stuck in a forever NT contract and bluespace still bullies him to this day.

There is obviously a lot more to it but I would rather have people figure it out on their own.
Where the fuck is your lore thread then? send it
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #723629

Sightld2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:48 am -pinkslipsnip-
This is still badass backstory. I think this can be a multipurpose thread considering how hard I loredumped anyhow :P
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #723634

Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:45 am
Constellado wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:29 pm I wonder how many LRP players have a backstory.

[REDACTED]
Nevermind I edited out the link because I'd rather you find it in the manuel discord yourself. Just look at the list of threads in the manuel discord in the lore channel. It should be there
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #723640

since this is now the general lore thread (i don't make the rules the big guy at the door with the bowler and the giant black leather overcoat told me so)

what is the tolerance levels of whimsy you apply to your characters? do you believe in rigidity with how they act? or do you keep them open for anything? did you plan for their backstory or lore write-ins to be any particular part of either side? if so have you accomplished what you set out for so far?

spoiler'd because its a semi-longpost because breaking up single sentences with indents fills me with joy and i love yapping you can't take this away from me WOKESTATION!!!!!
► Show Spoiler

regardless of how you perceive yourself, your characters, or others, i think we can all appreciate the vast depths of our fellow players and respect the message

you're all wonderful people keep up the good work
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #723641

Constellado wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:01 am
Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:45 am

[REDACTED]
Nevermind I edited out the link because I'd rather you find it in the manuel discord yourself. Just look at the list of threads in the manuel discord in the lore channel. It should be there
Im not in the manuel discord, im banned from it
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #723642

Donglesplonge wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:19 am -beautiful wondrous sovlful snip-
I always love to recognize the will and whimsy of our fellows. As I said before, I try to keep character archetypes, but within those archetypes, I get whimsical as FUCK in differing ways.

On the opposite end, I do love our serious sammies who you can depend on to buckle the fuck down and get things done. Elysius Uruma's a very competent player that gets goofy every now and then, but by and large is more or less prepared for any situation that comes his way, and he's quite dependable like that. So, too, is Volkan Magna (see: this thread) who has an incredible amount of knowledge within their field.

Speaking of incredible amounts of knowledge, +1 again to Dalm for being one of the most robust people I know who wears the anime training weights 24/7. Very few people know she could rock their shit without paraplegia and like, fifteen minutes of prep time.

Maintsfly is a good example of seriousness and goofy on par with Dalm's, but sort-of on the opposite end; they play a straight-man (nonbinary) foil to everyone else in Medbay, taking meticulous care to categorize and file away their corpses as coroner, yet still finding time to talk on the radio and say shit like "Maintsfly notes inconsistency in subject's speech. Diagnosis: Brain damage" and it makes me crack the fuck up without fail. Love it.

Honorable mention to Toma Prescot, who I miss dearly (Adipem come back to spessmens it's been like a week and a half ;w;) who plays the most laid-back perma prisoner you've ever seen, offering witty commentary and snide remarks over the radio without ever being really rude (unless they deserve it) and being preciously rare perma company for whenever my dumbass gets GBJ'd.

I could go on all night, and essaypost longer than Dongle (thanks again for writing that masterpiece :3) but honestly I think people are gonna lynch me if I do that, so I'll cut it short here.

I have a lot of love for each and every person who plays this game, and there's a reason I've not felt burnout like I would with damn near any other game by this point.
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #723643

Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:46 am
Constellado wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:01 am -consnipllado-
Im not in the manuel discord, im banned from it
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #723676

I originally came up with current static Richard Hastings as a way to get away from tiding and have some chill sec and robo gameplay. I gave him that name because it sounded medieval and I wanted to give him a kind of knightly aspect, which is why whenever I get borged I immediately go full medieval in mannerism. Unfortunately that sec playthrough lasted for a couple of months before I slipped back into tide for a few years. He stopped being much of a character for a while as I was trying to see how fast I could get all the good gear every round and later how fast I could reach final objective when progtot was first added. During that time though my own incompetence and stubbornness seeped in, making a character who can't fight to save his life but who also won't ever give up until fully gibbed. Whenever I wasn't surfing the tide I'd banter with various people or do weird projects, so the character shifted a little more into someone who likes talking about pointless nonsense and making stupid contraptions. Then about a year ago I slipped back into sec again and I've been there since. Hastings is pretty separate from his original form at this point, I generally play him as an out of his depth mall cop when bantering over comms. He still messes with weird contraptions like bola cannons or an auto-wanted-announcer I've been tinkering with for a while, he still banters about why lavaland entities aren't magical, and he'll still never give up trying to bring justice to the halls of Bagil.
I would also like to take a moment to say that while I've never played on Manuel I am fairly certain that Bagil has both more and better RP, even if the fourth wall is nonexistent every other round.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #723987

My "main" static started off on a Downstream designed to be played solely as Security and Blueshield. She was a blank slate, not in the sense that I didn't put anything into her, but that it was just how she was. She didn't consider herself to be a person at all, she considered herself solely as a weapon, and was arguably more robotic than even the Synths and IPCs that were on station. She was raised to be a member of the Spider Clan pretty much from birth, and had immediately deserted as soon as she did her first job, because even if she was "designed" to be a weapon, she didn't like hurting innocent people.

Over the course of an entire year of playing HOURS every day, she slowly developed a personality. Those small 'sparks' of humanity that were buried deep but couldn't be entirely snuffed out, were slowly and carefully tended to. She made friends because she saw good people she wanted to protect, and those people constantly treating her like People was what allowed them to slowly grow, for her personality to form, for her to see herself as a person, deserving of kindness and care, whose wants and needs mattered.

It's been about...a year and a half since I brought her to TG, which was around the time that the previous paragraph ended, and she's developed into a fully-fledged person and character of her own. She still has this cold-ish, overly-formal exterior, but people who actually get to know her get to see the kind and caring, with a bit of a silly streak, person hidden beneath.

Edit:

This might have become a general Lore/Backstory thread but it STARTED as a Cut Backstories thread, so I'll give you one of those, too:

My other main static these days is a Roboticist named Morgan Iskandi, who was the childhood best friend of my first (now retired) static. Originally, her backstory was that she was captured (believed dead) by the Syndicate and was rescued by the static you just got three paragraphs about, but I decided to scrap that because I decided that Morgan deserved to be happy and I didn't have the heart to give her a sad or scary backstory.