Stripping players naked and other security things

rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Stripping players naked and other security things

Post by rdght91 » #94393

Bottom post of the previous page:

While the wiki generally tells security players not to do this shit, in practice, it isn't against the rules for security to steal from people, jail for really petty things, hit people with excessive sentences, confiscate IDs, harmbaton, flash and stun compliant and restrained people, bucklecuff, add time randomly, ignore mitigating factors, etc even when they don't warrant it. And the problem is, if you retaliate in kind as a non head/sec to a person who is being shitty as a security officer, you 1. are probably going to lose and 2. give them a valid reason to be even shittier or even perma. When a security officer is toeing the line, there should be some system that first warns them to tone it down and then if they continue encourages rev or greytide like behavior as a counterplay to it. Because in practice, while security is generally far, far better than it was a long time ago, they're not much you can do if you're wronged by a security officer because the HOS is generally too busy and admins are not often going to intervene.
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Re: Stripping players naked and other security things

Post by Stan_Studnick » #99622

I have had the most success with having a reputation for being fair to begin with and then immediately escalating if provoked. Rarely people fucked with me because they knew I'd start bashing their head in the moment they made me chase them. (I don't think I'm very robust, so I had to take extra measures to apprehend) I've put more people in crit arresting them because they did something stupid like (usually) trying to disarm me, and then when they got their asses healed they woke up inside a cell wearing orange. I regularly reduced brig sentences if people were cooperative and sometimes I managed to just cuff people without stunning or flashing them, though I was always ready at a moment's notice to harmbaton them until they pissed themselves. I think a balance of being seen as fair and friendly and also being extremely cautious and careful with prisoners is the best way to do it, and convincing somebody to willingly go to the brig is very satisfying.

Most of the time bad things happen because nobody's listening to somebody who has a problem, so they act out. If you don't have authority to do something take it to the HoS or captain, especially if it's a complaint about a bad department head. I see the sec officer's job as somebody who enforces the law, preserves order, and protects the crew, so talking with the captain, HoS, and HoP a lot when you see potential problems is a good thing to do. They'll appreciate you letting them know of a brewing situation, it makes dealing with it much easier.
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #100822

Could the lawyer have a special channel to the "Centcom Safety and Accountability Department" and make handling complaints against security as part of their job? That'd solve this issue AND give the lawyer something to do and would be a great way to have funny mini-events.

This thread is not about security in general- It's about how low-ranked players could deal with an overzealous or abusive officer without admin intervention. Please keep it on topic.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #100824

Give him a fax machine that PMs #adminbus.
Or add a fax function to his requests console.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #100825

rdght91 wrote:Could the lawyer have a special channel to the "Centcom Safety and Accountability Department" and make handling complaints against security as part of their job? That'd solve this issue AND give the lawyer something to do and would be a great way to have funny mini-events.

This thread is not about security in general- It's about how low-ranked players could deal with an overzealous or abusive officer without admin intervention. Please keep it on topic.
No, because the fucking Lawyer does not even have Brig rights if Security chooses to revoke them.

People need to stop pushing this idea.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #100833

Scones wrote:
rdght91 wrote:Could the lawyer have a special channel to the "Centcom Safety and Accountability Department" and make handling complaints against security as part of their job? That'd solve this issue AND give the lawyer something to do and would be a great way to have funny mini-events.

No, because the fucking Lawyer does not even have Brig rights if Security chooses to revoke them.

People need to stop pushing this idea.
What does that have to do with anything? Lawyers are subordinate to the HOS. If they choose, part of their job can be handling IC complaints against security, forwarding them to the HOS if they believe the complaint is valid, or getting Centcom Inspectors on station.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #100843

They're actually under the HoP

Funfact: lawyers were created because people wanted to play ambulance chasers but couldn't be arsed queuing up at the HoP line every round, they've never had any authority in the brig and never will because sec has the guns. Lawyers getting brig access was a dumb idea.
Scones

Post by Scones » #100852

They're not subordinate to the HoS, HoS does not even have law office access
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #100862

You are literally the worst HoS i've ever seen Scones.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #100867

Tornadium, quit your bitching, you haven't even seen JLP then.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #100873

DemonFiren wrote:Tornadium, quit your bitching, you haven't even seen JLP then.
I've seen JLP.

I'd prefer JLP
Scones

Post by Scones » #100884

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #100891

Please, for the love of God, put up a warning, that shit is NSFL.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: