backups, cloning and meta

Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

backups, cloning and meta

Post by Tokiko2 » #15594

Bottom post of the previous page:

I've received multiple, conflicting statements about this from different admins so I'd like to make a thread about this.

Let's assume we have the following situation:
You go to medbay and get a backup scanned in the cloner. You exit medbay and do something else and get killed by someone. Your body is not recovered! Maybe you exploded or got spaced but that body that actually experienced the murder is gone. However that doctor working in medbay remembers that they made a backup of you and clone you. You exit the clonepod and security is waiting for you, trying to question you about what happened to you.

Do you remember who killed you or how? Or not, seeing as remembering what people did to you while you were unconcious or dead is considered metagaming?
damiac
Rarely plays

Re: backups, cloning and meta

Post by damiac » #18162

I've played on servers with the rule that after cloning you don't remember how you died.

It works fine, and it's easy to enforce, just like the no IC in OOC rules, or the no remembering stuff you saw while all the way dead rule.

Essentially, if someone murders you, and you end up coming back to life, no saying who murdered you. It's literally that easy.

I've taken advantage of the rule in ways just like the OP pointed out. I had an objective to kill X. When I killed X, Z and Y stumbled onto the scene. So now X, Y, and Z are all dead. I gib X, then delivered Y and Z to medbay. Now Y and Z get to keep playing. If they were allowed to remember me killing them, I would have just gibbed them too. Plus now the detective has something to do.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18194

Well, there's something to it, certainly. People just need their validboners cut off.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #19567

I can see an argument for and against 'clone amnesia'. But trying to claim it's impossible to enforce, while at the same time having rules that prevent you from from telling anyone about the stuff you see while ghosted(which apparently are working just fine), is stupid. Yeah, it's basically mafia in space. So no matter what, there's some IC and OOC segregation necessary, to keep the game at all interesting.

TG usually falls on the more 'gameplay' vs 'RP' side of the spectrum, but there's a reasonable argument that enforced clone amnesia might improve gameplay, by virtue of not forcing anyone trying to be stealthy to gib everyone they kill.