What makes these policies official?

LdShade
Byond Username: LdShade

What makes these policies official?

Post by LdShade » #26228

I am curious as to what happens to these policies.
Are these just a general agreement or does someone jot these down or become common knowledge?
After a while a lot of these policies that have been agreed on just get forgotten or changed unnoticeably.
Or am I missing the point and this sub forum is just to clarify existing policies?
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: What makes these policies official?

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #26234

Headmins make final decision. It's just our headmins aren't very active.
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #26845

Policies become official when they are enforced by an admin. They also become official when used to decide FNR cases.

Yes, that means 'official policy' only exists in the minds of each admin, and that there are as many sets of 'official policy' as there are admins.
What theoretically makes this work is that there is a hierarchy of admins, and FNR should sort out any conflicting policy.
Unfortunately, it means you need to be able to read the minds of all the admins to know what policy actually is.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #26858

That is not even remotely close to true Damiac. You litterly have no basis for your statements and to put this simply, you are spreading misinformation. The recent policy change of silicon policy by pandarsenic had NUMEROUS public votes AND admin votes. When it passed multiple times, it was elected official. Only after countless votes and debates was it made official so stating that policy is randomly selected by admins is dumb. Not all administrators are the same so of course some heads may collide but simply stating that admins pick and choose is just simply not true. Don't spread minsinformation.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #26897

From what I've gathered it normally goes like this (please correct me if I'm wrong, because this is just piecing things together, not fact):

Policies are debated here.
A vote thread is created on here and occasionally, (depending on the policy) in game.
A vote is held by the game admins.
If everything is positive reaction and headmins seem it to be legit, it becomes "law".
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #26902

There's usually no admin vote. We're not that organized. It usually comes with a consensus before a headmin comes in and says "make it done".

Without headmin approval there's going to be confusion and lingering differences in policy between admins.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #27050

NikNakFlak wrote:That is not even remotely close to true Damiac. You litterly have no basis for your statements and to put this simply, you are spreading misinformation. The recent policy change of silicon policy by pandarsenic had NUMEROUS public votes AND admin votes. When it passed multiple times, it was elected official. Only after countless votes and debates was it made official so stating that policy is randomly selected by admins is dumb. Not all administrators are the same so of course some heads may collide but simply stating that admins pick and choose is just simply not true. Don't spread minsinformation.
Ikarrus wrote:There's usually no admin vote. We're not that organized. It usually comes with a consensus before a headmin comes in and says "make it done".

Without headmin approval there's going to be confusion and lingering differences in policy between admins.
Uh oh, looks like Ikarrus is spreading 'misinformation' too.

I wasn't saying that as an insult, by the way. Look at FNR, you see admins with very different interpretations of policy, and when they conflict, then they get resolved, and the resolution becomes 'official'. But, if you want to know what policy to follow to not get in trouble in the first place, you need to be able to read the minds of all admins.

See: Pandarsenic changing characters names because of his personal 'you must have a good name' policy.
See: pretty much any silicon related FNR (Although Pandar really improved this a lot with his silicon policy)

The system isn't perfect, but it's actually pretty good for a bunch of volunteer admins. Because with most servers, policy ends at "Whatever the admin you talked to said it is"
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #27096

damiac wrote:See: Pandarsenic changing characters names because of his personal 'you must have a good name' policy.
The Rules, Believe it or Not wrote:Avoid using non character names. If you have a very offensive name or an obviously immersion breaking moniker like 'xenohunter360' you will be asked to change it.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #27104

damiac wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:That is not even remotely close to true Damiac. You litterly have no basis for your statements and to put this simply, you are spreading misinformation. The recent policy change of silicon policy by pandarsenic had NUMEROUS public votes AND admin votes. When it passed multiple times, it was elected official. Only after countless votes and debates was it made official so stating that policy is randomly selected by admins is dumb. Not all administrators are the same so of course some heads may collide but simply stating that admins pick and choose is just simply not true. Don't spread minsinformation.
Ikarrus wrote:There's usually no admin vote. We're not that organized. It usually comes with a consensus before a headmin comes in and says "make it done".

Uh oh, looks like Ikarrus is spreading 'misinformation' too.
Not so much, really. The complexity here is... well, they're both right. Some things, like the Silicon Policy codification, go through about 5 threads of votes and discussions. Some a little less. Nothing I can think of that went through more. But the average policy (What constitutes powergaming at the brig, what crosses the line of an immersion-breaking name for Nanotrasen to put on your IDs, when negligence of a job becomes jobbannable, how bad you have to fuck your team over for a team antag ban, etc.) doesn't go through nearly as much - it happens as on-the-fly admin rulings, and eventually is brought to FNR where it is overturned and upheld and becomes a precedent.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #27246

Yes, exactly. That's what I meant, 'official' policy largely doesn't exist until it is enforced, and appealed. Each admin only goes off their interpretation of what policy even exists, for the rest of it, it's just their interpretation of 'don't be a dick'.

When an admin punishes someone for being a dick, and they come here to FNR and say 'But I wasn't being dick!', an official decision has to be made about whether or not that thing counts as being a dick. Then, it's policy. But to avoid the 'being a dick' punishment in the first place, you would need access to the admin's mind.

Of course, admins are people with varying degrees of common sense, so usually everyone's interpretation is close enough. But sometimes, something isn't a policy until someone gets banned for it, then everyone agrees it should have been a policy in the first place. Meaning the person got a punishment for something that wasn't really against the rules when they did it.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #27721

Just....no. Did you even read pandarsenic's post?
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #27865

Pandarsenic wrote:But the average policy (What constitutes powergaming at the brig, what crosses the line of an immersion-breaking name for Nanotrasen to put on your IDs, when negligence of a job becomes jobbannable, how bad you have to fuck your team over for a team antag ban, etc.) doesn't go through nearly as much - it happens as on-the-fly admin rulings, and eventually is brought to FNR where it is overturned and upheld and becomes a precedent.

Yeah... I did read Pandarsenic's post. Did you NikNak? Because we're saying the exact same thing.
damiac wrote:Yes, exactly. That's what I meant, 'official' policy largely doesn't exist until it is enforced, and appealed.
Pandarsenic wrote:it happens as on-the-fly admin rulings, and eventually is brought to FNR where it is overturned and upheld and becomes a precedent.
For emphasis:
on-the-fly admin rulings
So yeah, it's exactly what I said. Stop spreading misinformation Niknak. Also, it's spelled "literally"
NikNakFlak wrote:You litterly have no basis for your statements and to put this simply, you are spreading misinformation.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #29040

The issue is that it is literally not possible to write comprehensive rules for a game as complex as SS13. If you want to contest me saying that, go try it sometime. I don't mean things like 'don't be a jerk man', I mean make a rulebook that encompasses every situation, job, and event that's even likely to happen in the game, much less the wider range of what can possibly happen.

I mean, look at what was needed for silicons alone and how long it took because making that probably really sucked to do.

And even if you did manage to codify a set of ironclad laws about every situation, the line-towing would be inevitable, swift, and sure. People are always looking for ways to do that. Is it cool that somebody can get an 'ok' from one admin and a ban from another? Not really. But it's easily fixed and the worst that can happen to you, a ban, still means life goes on, and if it's really out of phase with what other admins feel, it's easily lifted too in FNR. Is there any alternative that isn't way, way worse to how it works now?
RIP
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #29180

Hibbles wrote:The issue is that it is literally not possible to write comprehensive rules for a game as complex as SS13. If you want to contest me saying that, go try it sometime. I don't mean things like 'don't be a jerk man', I mean make a rulebook that encompasses every situation, job, and event that's even likely to happen in the game, much less the wider range of what can possibly happen.

I mean, look at what was needed for silicons alone and how long it took because making that probably really sucked to do.

And even if you did manage to codify a set of ironclad laws about every situation, the line-towing would be inevitable, swift, and sure. People are always looking for ways to do that. Is it cool that somebody can get an 'ok' from one admin and a ban from another? Not really. But it's easily fixed and the worst that can happen to you, a ban, still means life goes on, and if it's really out of phase with what other admins feel, it's easily lifted too in FNR. Is there any alternative that isn't way, way worse to how it works now?
Oh, clearly it's quite impossible. I think TG station has the best possible way to do it, and the system largely works. I have had issues with how some admins assume the absolute worst intentions, and how rules sometimes get twisted to support admin rulings in FNR complaints, but that's an inherent problem with letting humans be involved.
The system isn't perfect, obviously, but I can't think of a better one.