Conversion Obligations

How obligated are you to assist the team who converted you? (Cult/Rev)

Completely obligated, it should be the focus of your round
25%
Somewhat obligated, be a major contributor or a minor one, as long as you aren't working against them
60%
Not obligated, it's your choice on how to play, you can not help at all/suicide as long as you don't work against them
15%

Total votes: 48

Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Conversion Obligations

Post by Lovecraft » #80487

Many a round I've been a sour sport and decided to just log off when the Cult came knocking on my door, or just pretended it didn't happen and went along with my game.

I'm aware this is poor form but frankly I feel it's within my rights as an individual. I dislike Cult, never play it, always have it turned off, and I want nothing to do with it. The most I'll ever do to help is give out all access IDs to people who expect it at the Head of Personnel office.

Am I doing something wrong?
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Re: Conversion Obligations

Post by Hibbles » #80495

On a 'my opinion' level? Then yeah, bad form, old boy. But I also totally understand why you just fuck off and don't help most of the time, and I've even done that in the past.

On an admin level, enforcing somebody actively helping their team, in a wildfire conversion roundtype like this, isn't possible. The most we can do, and do when the situation is appropriate, is bwonking people who actively not-help a team-mate when it's a critical situation. I guess that's where the line should be, then. If a Cult brother is dying and you're sitting at the Medbay desk, let him in and point to cryo at the very least.
RIP
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #80505

Actively fucking them over is a big NO. You will get banned for doing that... probably.

Going afk or ghosting is fine imo. The only time id say you are obligated to stay is if your "conversion" used up critical resources for the antags and you are kinda important. Like say... you are the first Artificer in a Cult round, or one of the first Revs converted.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #80511

Lovecraft wrote:Am I doing something wrong?
You're being a dick. Bans have been given out to folk who go braindead/ghost/log off after they're implanted by security during rev. I've also warned folk (and witnessed bans) when they did absolutely nothing to help a rev-head avoid being beaten to death. Rounds that have team objectives function because people work as a team.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #80513

With a username like that, I am somewhat surprised that you hate cult.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #80532

QuartzCrystal wrote:Rounds that have team objectives function because people work as a team.
What if you want to remain neutral or not participate in the round type?
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #80535

Lovecraft wrote:
QuartzCrystal wrote:Rounds that have team objectives function because people work as a team.
What if you want to remain neutral or not participate in the round type?
Trying to remain a neutral party in a huge team on team conflict like endgame cult or revolution is a special challenge in itself.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #80539

I guess it's up to you, but it's pretty shit when cult expends time/resources on someone who just goes braindead/fucks off
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #80542

If you don't want to be cult UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER, then choose a loyalty implanted job.

Seriously, logging/not helping your team because you 'don't like the round type' is like complaining about dying because you enjoy living.

It's a multiplayer game, you can't be purely selfish about how you play.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #80555

Agreeing with quartz and lumi here. You are being a dick ghosting/suiciding when they convert you. And this goes for both sides, the loyals and the rev/cult
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #80762

>cult

Show up for any nar-nar summons or conversions and even then, you can still come up with an excuse or not be noticed that you're not showing up intentionally. If you're an artificer, poop out at least a few sets of soul stones. If you're any other construct, carry out the order you're given at creation. Literally bare minimum.

>rev

Drag a headrev being beaten in front of you away if you can otherwise literally I don't see how admins could distinguish between intentionally not helping, carrying out a plan, and simple incompetency in the clusterfuck that is rev.

>nuke ops

Don't steal crystals. Make at least a notional effort to follow the plan if it exists. The standard for this is pretty low tbh, if you can turn on your jetpack and internals and fly to the station as a group, you've already passed the minimum obligation towards your team.

Also, it really seems like an exercise in futility to figure out if someone is being incompetent, intentionally incompetent, or not involving themselves. I can understand and do support punishing people who intentionally sabotage but punishing people for the absence of effort seems very hard to do so accurately.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #80764

It's pretty bad when you turn people into constructs and they immediately ghost because you didnt make them the one they wanted/they didn't want to be one at all.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #80778

of course

I'm just saying, we could ban for people instantly ghosting/suiciding, but for literally everything else after those first few minutes, it is essentially futile to ban for a lack of effort because it is impossible to accurately determine. There is also instantly ghosting/suiciding and being purposefully incompetent and getting killed being about the same thing and banning for one and not the other seems kind of odd. But maybe if you ban for one, you lessen the chances of the other happening, I'm not sure.

As for loyalty implanted/holy watered deconverts, they honestly should have no obligation outside of not getting their implant purposefully removed so they can rejoin the cult/rev. Implants don't do anything special in a traitor or ling round so it would technically involve the loaded catchphrase 'metagaming' if we suddenly made loyalty implants force people to have some sort of minimal obligation towards security if the round type was rev or cult.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #81292

Yes, its bad form.

Another player is taking an action that risks them exposing themselves as being an antag so therefore risking getting killed and taken out of the round themselves, you spitting your dummy out and taking your toys home is bad form.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #83558

For rev? Help as much as you want - flashes are expendable and fast to use, it doesn't exhaust much in the way of resources to convert, and so you shouldn't be obligated to expend much of your own resources to help the revolution.

Contrast to cult, where conversion is a laborous process involving three people (often from different departments), self-damage, and major risk. Any convertee who ghosts or doesn't aim to help the cult as much as they can isn't fair for the resources they expended. This is ESPECIALLY bad for constructs that immediately start breaking walls after being made, until you can tell it to stop. Some even just idle. People should be obligated to help the cult as much as possible.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #83568

Some people just want to play the game without having to worry about objectives, valids, or killing people. It wouldn't be fair to threaten them with a ban when the conversion is usually forced on them to begin with.

I've always told people that they just can't work against their team, but they're by no means obligated to help under threat of ban.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #83711

Ikarrus wrote:Some people just want to play the game without having to worry about objectives, valids, or killing people. It wouldn't be fair to threaten them with a ban when the conversion is usually forced on them to begin with.

I've always told people that they just can't work against their team, but they're by no means obligated to help under threat of ban.
I hope constructs and the such are excepted, as they are slaved, rather than converted.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #83718

Ikarrus wrote:Some people just want to play the game without having to worry about objectives, valids, or killing people. It wouldn't be fair to threaten them with a ban when the conversion is usually forced on them to begin with.

I agree with this greatly.

Also keep in mind that some players are new to the game or certain features of the gamemode and may not assist their team properly. Threatening people with a ban for not being good at a certain antag role they can't opt out of is a really bad idea.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #83721

Constructs are a bit of an iffy subject, just by existing they pose a great chance to blow the cover of their teammates if anybody sees them.

I guess the alternative is to just sac them or use their corpse for ghost shenanigans.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #83736

There's a difference between 'being awful/new at rev' and thinking "fuck this I don't want to be cult/construct, fuck off >ghost."

It's a multiplayer game, you can't possibly expect to always do exactly what you want/never be negatively effected by others.

I once turned FOUR people into artificers, because the first 3 all ghosted/went brain dead/immediately fucked off without a word.

I mean really, there's a threadbare minimum standard of co-operation.
You could happily go back to doing whatever the fuck you were doing as a cultist/rev, but shit like coming to help summon nar'sie when asked, saving a revhead etc is pretty basic.