Events/Button-Mashing/Badminning Discussion

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Events/Button-Mashing/Badminning Discussion

Post by Stickymayhem » #83405

Admin intervention in rounds has all gotten a little out of hand so a proper discussion on what people actually want might be useful in this case.

First off, we've agreed that trialmins shouldn't be running events themselves, but instead can assist their trainers if requested, so they learn the ropes without fucking everything up. That's going to happen either way, but there are some other things to consider. Additionally we are going to try and get everyone, including me of course, to step off the buttons a lot less often. It's a bit lazy and the more effort people put into proper events the less frequent and higher quality they generally are.

- How frequently do you want to see admin intervention in sub-two hour long rounds?

- How frequently do you want full "extended" rounds that admins take over from the lobby to run?

- Should these absolutely require a majority vote?

- Should the two hour point on Sybil remain the point at which admins are free to burn everything down?

Let's keep this discussion focused on this. Examples are fine, prolonged bitching or changing the topic are not.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Events/Button-Mashing/Badminning Discussion

Post by Ikarrus » #83407

Opinions.

- How frequently do you want to see admin intervention in sub-two hour long rounds?
Mostly harmless things. Nothing that would disrupt the current round's natural progression.

- How frequently do you want full "extended" rounds that admins take over from the lobby to run?
Once every 3-4 rounds at the very most. Admins should refrain from running events rounds right as they join the game because they have no idea what happened the last few rounds.

- Should these absolutely require a majority vote?
Depends on the event, but yeah, if you're going to take full control of a round and run an "event round" then talk about it with the players and your fellow admins first before the round starts.

- Should the two hour point on Sybil remain the point at which admins are free to burn everything down?
I'm of the opinion that admins shouldn't even be doing this. After the two hour point I'd encourage admins to accelerate round progression to a conclusion, but nothing that ends up killing everyone and ruining an otherwise good, long, fulfilling round with a bullshit death.

Just imagine if your favourite story with a cast you love just ended with "Rocks fall, everyone dies. The End"
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #83408

I think the hour and a half mark is good, rounds never reach the 2 hour mark unless we are talking about basil. People call the shuttle out of boredom at the 1 hour mark.

Majority vote?
No, events should be something that just happens without the players knowing.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #83410

If you're going to be surprising the players (Which is ill-advised for full-scale event rounds) you should still be discussing it with your fellow admins.

Too often have I had an admin take complete control of a round without any warning, adminhelps pop up and I have no idea how to handle them because the admin ignore all attempts at communicating with them.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #83411

Extended rounds with admin events should be a privilege given to admins who have shown they do good events. Given by headmins.

The 2-hour rule i think is fine. By that point most are bored and would rather have a reset. Admins should be encouraged to do something creative rather than just press the Alien/DS button, but thats fine sometimes too.

I think seeing as we have new game modes, admins should be encouraged to force them at roundstart for the sake of testing. Not constantly, but enough for coders to gather feedback and improve their creations. Including gang, seeing as that has had some big changes recently.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #83412

imo, there's not much point in forcing gang for feedback if I'm not present. I prefer to witness the round unfold in person, as second-hand accounts are often limited in viewpoint and leave out many details.

Feel free to try it if you're curious though, but please don't do it for my benefit.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #83413

Basil ALREADY gets slim to no Admins or fun. If we decide to cut back on buttons, it should only be on Sibyl.
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #83414

Ikarrus wrote:If you're going to be surprising the players (Which is ill-advised for full-scale event rounds) you should still be discussing it with your fellow admins.
Yea I agree with discussing it with fellow admins. I disagree with delaying the round so people can vote yes or no on whether or not they want one.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #83415

You can still talk about it the round before. No need to delay anything. And a warning/heads up for certain events is all I'd like to see.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #83416

I think 1.5 hours is a good baseline, give or take a little depending on whether antags are looking likely to spice things up on their own. Admin intervention before then probably shouldn't happen unless it's one of the rare rounds set up entirely around events. Some events need to surprise the players to work, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to only require touching base with the other active admins at the time.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #83418

I still think 2 hours is fine. Even if antags tend to force shorter rounds these days, it doesnt mean admins should be actively killing the station earlier as well. Admins intervening to end a round should be a rare thing.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #83424

I am against setting hard and fast rules for mid round fuckary.

Mid round fuckary is an art form, and either we end up with rules that don't take everything into account, or we just strangle it into the ground because we are afraid to let admins use their brain on edge cases.

I'd rather foster an environment where admins have an understanding of what things work, how to tell when to do things, etc.

Take the "two hour" thing for an example. its too binary, too simple.

A round thats been going for 3 hours but everybody is still alive and nobody wants a shuttle call? No need for admin intervention in most cases. That round is perfectly fine.

A round thats been going for 45 minutes, and 70% of the station died in the first 20 minutes? Ya, that round might need some edging.

Only none of these things are taught to trialmins because we seem too afraid that they might turn into button pressers. if we dare discuss the topic.

A month later we give them more buttons and still no discussion or training or guidance.

Some of the best events I ran were as a trialmin with subtle graces giving me guidance as we worked thru my ideas, and some of the best fun I've had was being a game min helping rescue ranger run events on basil during low pop.

I think we should move away from this trialmin never runs events things, and maybe encourage experienced admins to help guide them to the path of proper funministration.

I do think that solo trialmins should be a bit more careful about running midround events solo. I would suggest they start with only doing things during rng extended rounds. This acts as a nice filter to prevent them being too common.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #83430

Breaking #adminbus leak under the cut.
Spoiler:
[15:10] <hotelbravolima> Also Shroom brought up a point, Basil already gets almost no admins, and almost no admin fun at all.
[15:10] <hotelbravolima> If Sibyl's getting 'too much' (which we all aren't agreed about Sticky) and Basil's not getting much
[15:10] <hotelbravolima> there might be a solution here that isn't too dumb
We've already discussed the lack of admin coverage for the server, and one of the reasons IMO is that it's boring as shit. To play, or to watch a lot of the time. And because it can be boring, among other reasons, people don't go there, which makes it boring... The cycle won't get broken without intervention. The way I personally defib'd Bagil into it's not-totally-dead state was Events in the first place, right? But we need people for most events. Or different kinds of events. It would be a bit of a challenge to find ones good for low population when normally the idea is to involve as many as feasible.

That's my only constructive suggestion, everything else I have to say regards how overblown and dumb this is and you don't want to hear that.

So going forward, I'm going to set some dates and times for 'hey everyone let's go to server 2, have a party, and totally fuck it up like it's a 90s movie'. Or at least, 'hey everyone, event time'. This ties into my wondering about pre-arranged events, but it would probably just be a time announcement, to draw people in who want it, and to warn people who wouldn't. It obviously wouldn't be too frequent.

Also, ditto to literally every line of MSO's post.
RIP
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #83432

Couldnt you give admins the ability to send notices to the other server? To easily announce when Basil is having an event round or something...
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #83433

We don't have a one-click thing for that, but there isn't anything stopping us from hopping on the other one and posting one of those admin notices that gets displayed to new-joiners.
RIP
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #83440

Some people get so upset when their delicate "round balance" gets interrupted and god forbid you prevent them greentexting or denying greentexting.

Fuck if anything we need more buttons, half the point of a rpg is to have a game master who helps make the game feel more alive.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #83447

Banning trialmins from doing it doesnt really address the issue. They're not the ones hitting the most buttons, and its better to find out they cant control themselves before theyre a full admin, not after.

"We'll do it less guys I promise" isn't really accountability either. There are dozens of rules governing every aspect of player interaction, and punishments for said actions, but admins get to say "whoops my bad I'll stop." Hell players can get notes for almost breaking a rule, while admins can hit buttons to kill everyone onboard and they get told to stop. Maybe.

Admins should have the most responsibility in the community, not the least. Adminbus is self policing though, and headmins have historically hit more buttons than anyone else, so forgive me for not trusting vague promises again
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #83460

oranges wrote:Fuck if anything we need more buttons, half the point of a rpg is to have a game master who helps make the game feel more alive.
Yeah but nobody wants to play with the DM that tries to shove his half-god catgirl DMPC into every story.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #83461

Saegrimr wrote:
oranges wrote:Fuck if anything we need more buttons, half the point of a rpg is to have a game master who helps make the game feel more alive.
Yeah but nobody wants to play with the DM that tries to shove his half-god catgirl DMPC into every story.
I-

... never mind
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #83463

Saegrimr wrote:
I don't appreciate thinly-veiled criticism Saegrimr. Cut that shit out.

Kat Slutwhiskers is a legitimate character with a profoundly deep backstory.

Anyway we're pretty much all reasonable people. When it gets to the point that admins accept they got a bit overzealous with buttons it's going to calm down.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #83465

Kat Slutwhiskers is a fantastic name. Reminds me of that whorefish girl from NoX.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #83467

Honestly, Button-Mashers, can be pointed out by the community by some good old fashioned democracy. (See: Voting on the highest tiered button pushers)
Those with super high button pusher votes, get deadminned, regardless of their title/rank. This would be a way to remove the problem completely, with extreme fucking prejuduce.

Generally, badmins can be pointed out by what bad players would do with admin buttons. (Not to be confused with Button-Mashers)

HOWEVER

Theres a big differance between events, and button pushing

EVENT

CC REPORT:

We are sending a space ranger team to remove some files from a NT representive working on station (Double Agent W/ File trade off objective)

----------------------------------------------------------

Button Pushing:

ADMIN ANNOUCEMNT:
MEATY ORE MEATY ORE MEATY ORE MEATY ORE
SHADOWLINGLING SHADOW LINGLING SHADOWLINGLING
MEGA MECH MEGA MECH
DEATHSQUAD
ERT
NUKE
ROUND END
-You did not survive the events of Admin Fuckery 13-
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #83468

Trialmins should be on a leash really. I suggest having a secret quota for button presses that if they reach deadmin em.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #83474

Events that are fluff, and involve actual RP are fine pretty much regardless of what is happening in the round, within reason.

"Events" that involve antags/weapons/killing people should only happen very rarely, since they invariably fuck up the round - if it's so bad that the other side needs admin intervention (ERT or whatever) then that's a clear sign of going to far. Countering shit with shit just means you're flinging too much shit.

If through normal play, shi has hit the fan so utterly the crew is fucked (Robust McMurderbone killed al of sec, has every weapon on the station and is kiling everyone) then button pressing to counter that CAN be alright, since it's just one guy shitting on everyone else.

But yeah, every 2nd round buttons get pressed, like serious fuck off, how do you expect anyone to RP, or to invest time into the round when 90% of the time an admin is going to shit it up? This is even happening on basil, where sybil admins come on and decide to 'spice up' quiet round with badmin enabled murderboning.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #83476

My only concern with this matter is when the admins are too busy playing event manager to actually do their duties as admin.

You know, like answer adminhelps.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #83538

Jeb wrote:My only concern with this matter is when the admins are too busy playing event manager to actually do their duties as admin.

You know, like answer adminhelps.
When does that even happen? Maybe on basil, but basil mainly looks after it self and we see ahelps through IRC if no one is online.
Generally there are enough admins online to handle things. 2 to run events/etc 2 to handle ahelps. I've rarely seen a situation where ahelps go completely un-answered. Of course it DOES happen, sometimes things get missed in the console spam etc.
EDIT: Obviously this happened recently to you, so as with everyone it seems the most important thing to you right now. I urge you to think back to other situations when this happens and to truely how frequently this actually happens. I realise things feel fresh right now, but that is fairly bias reasoning.

Anyway back on topic I'm still not sure why trailmins dont have access to +fun, or at least change some of the buttons to not need +fun. Going from trailmin to fullmin there was a shit ton of stuff I didn't know how to use and had to use quiet rounds to test or ask others over time.
I'm not sure this is really a good thing.

I'd also side towards having trails not run events but help. Knowing when to interfere, as MSO said, is an art. And we really shouldnt be in a place where a slow moving end to the round where 80% of the crew are ghosts can't be touched out of fear of being called out for interfering. Otherwise we'll end up with round restarts actually succeeding and longer rounds never coming to a conclusion (which actually can be more frustrating)
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #83553

I really really haven't been noticing excessive events. RP, minor events such as a Lusty Xenomorph Maid for the Captain, or the sexual relations lizard (or whatever it was called) were great, and aren't disruptive to the round - I don't count those toward the overall 'event' total.

Preplanned events I've been noticing fewer and fewer, compared to the hayday of HBL event nights. Maybe it's just the times I play, but I haven't noticed deathsquad/xeno buttons being pushed at inopportune times, unless as a part of a planned event or the crew is bored as hell and it's 2 hours in, and even then, extended seems to carry through until the 1.5 hour mark or so before a button is pressed. I haven't seen anything like the gameshow Sticky did a while back on the bridge since, or anything that is 'sort of disruptive and rewarding for antag and crew alike, but won't ruin the round everyone'.

If anything, I'd like to see more events, especially the 'somewhat disruptive not preplanned' events.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #83572

The best event I ever did was I told everyone in the lobby that this round would be a crazy event, but it's secret. I then made it extended, put a strange item in the hallway north of the bridge and then didn't press anything else for the rest of the round. The round ended around the hour mark and everyone kept going on about how good the event was even though they basically just assumed some player actions were admin intervention, etc. It was amazing.

EDIT: I need to confess, I've done this a few times. The secret is out.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #83576

To be honest I think if a round goes on for more than one hour then admins should be starting to bring the round to a conclusion. One and a half to two hour rounds are almost always either boring, uneventful or are the result of someone/people stubbornly refusing to call the shuttle.

However admins are always very hesitant to bring a round to a conclusion even if its exceeded two or even up to THREE hours! They simply don't want to intervene a lot of the time unless its gotten to the point where there's only one or two people left alive on the station, and even then it boils down to everyone waiting fifteen or so minutes for the shuttle to arrive, dock and depart.

Admins need to be more willing to bring long/boring rounds to a end, but on that note we don't want cases of the 'super' antag being spawned every other round as that is what is being complained about.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #83587

Define "boring". You play Sec a lot, so i imagine extended rounds are indeed boring for you. Dealing with constant greytiding and no actual antags.

Just because rounds have been shorter recently, it does not mean people want shorter rounds. Many jobs require long rounds to reach their potential. Sometimes people set goals from themselves to build something, or do something special that requires a lot of time. I do not think we should kill this attitude off just so the admins can press round-ending buttons more often. Rounds should end as naturally as possible.
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #83618

I think the problem with that is that its only a few people who have said "Oh I am going to cover the station in grass" or something. 2 or 3 people having fun while the rest suffer for boredom most likely means buttons need to be pressed.

The two servers have different attitudes. If you want to do long projects go to basil where rounds easily last 2 hours. You obviously don't want antags fucking your projects up either.

Again I personally think the hour and a half mark is pretty good place to start interfering (at least on sybil). I also haven't seen a event that doesn't involve death or combat in a long time. One that takes more effort than pressing the create antags button. Those tended to be fun for everyone but usually involved forcing extended.
Alex Crimson wrote:Just because rounds have been shorter recently, it does not mean people want shorter rounds. Many jobs require long rounds to reach their potential.
Do tell me what jobs take a long time to reach their potential, and don't say science.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #83620

Short rounds tend to invalidate any sort of meaningful effort you put into anything substantial, instead pushing the focus more along hunting whatever antagonist appears to be present at the time.

Longer rounds encourage creativity and RP beyond the objective.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #83622

Building a fort in Cargo takes time. Messing with all 23 Genetics blocks takes time, and then you still need to engineer all the power blocks to manifest all the powers. Botany takes time if you are attempting to do more than just get single plants to 100 potency. Engineering takes time if you are building a new area. R&D doesnt take long to research, but the building that comes after can, if you intend to revamp science somewhat.

Then you have events like ninja/alien which, as far as i know, usually only trigger 40-60 minutes into a round. Unless this has been changed.

Like i said, rounds should be allowed to run their course and end naturally. A long round isnt a bad thing. If the players in that round want to call the shuttle, then they will find a way. 2 hours is generally how long it takes for deadchat to start complaining and pestering admins to end it. I should know, ive probably spectated more rounds than ive actually played.

Hell, there is nothing stopping admins from doing some kind of respawn for dead players and send them back in with new names. But most of you would rather use the 2 hour rule as an excuse to let yourselves go and press buttons.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #83799

I'm in favor of more "little" button-pushing. Nothing that ends a round or even seriously interferes with its progress, but something cool and fun to show that the admins are paying attention. Answering prayers, say, or subtlemessages, or trophies, or renaming shit.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #83891

Spawning ghosts in the thunderdome should be more common - The crew can watch that for entertainment/request you reroute the emergency shuttle there.

Thats a thing admins can do now, by the way.
If it's Extended, you can even make the shuttle dock back at the station, or make the shuttle be at the station at roundstart, then go to centcomm when it's called, and re-dock at the station
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #83934

I probably should have posted this sooner, given the round that just happened

Admins need to consider giving the station crew a warning and time to prepare, or special assistance, for events that involve certain antags being spawned. This is especially true in cases where the antags might kill station crew and there's little or no sec. When this happens, the crew literally has to rely on the subset of the population that enjoys hunting for valids if they want to survive.

Events need to be scaled to the crew population. Don't spawn a full team of ebow-wielding antags against a small crew and little sec, admins have no excuse for this as they have a multitude of tools to check the station crew.

Anticipate player actions. Admins should be very well-versed in how an event might turn out and how rounds usually go. Telling a team of ebow-wielding antags to use minimal force against a crew is an unrealistic expectation to have when any player who's been around for long enough knows that fights can and will eventually escalate to lethal force.

edit-

and for any admins watching, perhaps an instruction to use minimal force should be appended by another instruction for retreating instead of escalating. Minimal force means nothing if the minimal amount of force needed to control a situation means killing the crew.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
FamilyManPornoMan
Byond Username: LeadActorInFamilyGuyPorno

Post by FamilyManPornoMan » #83937

plan out your admin events before you make them
FamilyManPornoMan
Byond Username: LeadActorInFamilyGuyPorno

Post by FamilyManPornoMan » #83938

Ikarrus wrote:Short rounds tend to invalidate any sort of meaningful effort you put into anything substantial, instead pushing the focus more along hunting whatever antagonist appears to be present at the time.

Longer rounds encourage creativity and RP beyond the objective.
I find that many people go braindead on tg before the round ends lol
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #84033

imblyings wrote:and for any admins watching, perhaps an instruction to use minimal force should be appended by another instruction for retreating instead of escalating. Minimal force means nothing if the minimal amount of force needed to control a situation means killing the crew.
This is a good point. The other side of the issue is that the crew is going to try to robust any weird people on the station, especially if they don't have any other way of interacting with the event. If you want to avoid turning it into a bloodbath, it's better to work with the smaller number of event antags than the larger number of the entire station crew. To make the event as interesting as possible for both sides, the event antags should be required to defend themselves in a way that doesn't involve removing half the crew from the round.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #84142

Admin events, unless they will take up the whole round (i.e. highlander, nations), shouldn't need a vote to pass. Getting a majority vote is largely impossible when the round is in progress anyway, at least on higher populations.

I like to see admin intervention whenever a large number of people have been taken out of the round and the gameplay is getting stale for those still there. I think it's a nice way to discourage murderboning and a good way to bring spice to the people that haven't been touched by it but are still stuck.

Full on extended rounds shouldn't need a vote if they're supposed to be secret, since that would deny at least some of the point.

Honestly, I like admin button pressing. I don't think all of the gamemodes are equally viable, and I think admin intervention, and good GMing, is necessary to make things fun. I don't think you can put a frequency limit on that because it has to be contextual. But then, I'm the sort of person who would also like to see a hell of a lot more xenomorph rounds. I just think that sort of interaction is neat.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #84147

Not very often, but even then you should still have some taste when pushing buttons. Read the state of the round well and know the right buttons to push, as much as possible.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #84782

We just had a round where a traitor clown stole all access and opened atleast a dozen clown slots, who also got all access.

That was not the time for an admin to add this Ion law:
"#%^%. BZZZZT... CLOWNS ARE YOU NEW MASTERS. ONLY OBEY CLOWNS. LAWS UPDATED."
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #85738

Things were better for a few days, now the last 48 hours has been creeping toward the 50% button-shit ratio again.

8 Wizards are not fun. Meteor Spam isn't fun. Invincible Vines aren't fun. List goes on.

Stahp
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #85740

Invincible vines aren't admins, well I mean you could but that's a normal vine mutation is to be super resistant.

Vines got buffed in a recent-ish update. Should probably go make a thread to complain about those too.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #85857

Oldman Robustin wrote:Things were better for a few days, now the last 48 hours has been creeping toward the 50% button-shit ratio again.

8 Wizards are not fun.
Stahp
Raging Mages is coming for you oldman. it knows where you robust
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #85859

Ragin Mages (should) have a upper limit of around three or so actual Wizards.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #85962

I've seen like 5 or so alive at a time, with 1-2 more spawning in and picking their weapons at any one time.
Maybe ragin mages should have fewer spell slots to make it less redonkulous
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #86070

Steelpoint wrote:Ragin Mages (should) have a upper limit of around three or so actual Wizards.
I think its like 5 depending on the pop. I could be wrong. It should really be on rotation though.
Autbelli
Byond Username: Autbelli

Post by Autbelli » #87031

Hey there, I'm in a bit late on this, but I'd like to toss in my opinion on the whole situation, despite my word not carrying much weight.
I've been playing the server in bursts for a while and have noticed a definite change. Now this is a good and bad thing. The admins seem to genuinely want to be involved and part of the game world, and I have good respect for that. The problem is, they're doing it a bit too hard. The most concerning thing that they seem to be doing is stopping players from doing IC things, and generally cherry picking when to use the "It's an IC problem" line. I've seen a lot of complaints about admins PMing players to get them to stop doing something that would hinder an event or even save the crew from an impending one. I understand the logic behind this, nobody wants to see their ideas go to waste before even being played out, but I'm worried that it's taking some of the player heart out of the game.

Admins seem to only be able to let their special rounds go when the crew is nearly broken. Instead of the crew defeating a malf AI and going home victorious, other things have to be tossed in to keep it going. It goes like this again and again until people are broken. Sec has been almost empty all of my recent rounds, and I can see why. With these "events" happening so often, you're bound to have a bad time. It's easier to be science or medical, where at least you can be useful and busy. I've taken to being chef myself because these rounds leave plenty of available meat.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #87032

That sounds a bit more like mulligan happening, when a special antag type gets wiped out and the station isn't in too bad of shape, it'll automatically spawn more.

As for the bwoinking thing, if I see a dude running somewhere with a bomb and I know he's about to use it, i'd rather tell him that's a bad idea than wait for him to do it and have to ban him afterwards. Less work for me anyway.