Public Admin Applications

Should we have Public Admin Applications?

Yes
59%
No
37%
Other or edited system from proposed (Comment below)
No votes
Abstain
5%

Total votes: 41

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Public Admin Applications

Post by NikNakFlak » #94117

So this originally sparked from a conversation in adminbus. With the recent admin candidate thingy being all over the place and waayyy to many candidates coming in at once, there was debate on how to fix the problem. I personally think public admin applications would be great. I proposed the idea in adminbus and it got mixed feelings so far so I'm making a thread.

Public Admin Applications are on numerous other servers including /vg/, bay (mentor)**, goon (mentors)**, paradise (mentors)**, and probably more.
There is a template laid out and then anyone can make an application on the forums. The application will then be seen and reviewed by both players and admins. Both can post experiences and thoughts on said person but in the end, a headmin will make the final call whether or not they will be trained and trialminned eventually. While having headmins be the final call may be less than ideal you might think, they must post a reason for their denial or acceptance when they do so, and this allows all the players to see what call was made and why.

This system is more open as anyone who feels like it can apply, though acceptance is subjective. There is less worry about bad admins slipping through the cracks just being candidated without input as now all applications are seen by anyone who visits the forum and there is ample time to offer feedback before any kind of training even happens. There is potential for less overflow like we currently have as candidates can't just be wisked up and made trialmins right and left as current admin trainers tend to be doing right now, but they must make an application and be judged by not only admins but the community at large as well.

Some admins have said that this system will likely not make a huge difference but if almost every other server has it and I really don't see a reason that we don't. /Tg/ has never tried public applications before so if this happens, this will be the first time. Post comments below your thoughts and ideas about the system.

** Mentors on these servers usually become admins at a later date, but the application proccess still exists.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Re: Public Admin Applications

Post by Arete » #94119

I'm having a hard time seeing a counterargument against this.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #94121

Since we've already discussed my opinions on this in irc; what do you suggest the application template entail?
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #94123

I can't really object to this. Well, I could if ever my connection got faster and I could actually play more often, because then I'd be tempted to push for UNLIMITED POWAH, but as it stands this is practical.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #94124

If this is implemented, I'd rather see some sort of system where admin trainers list whether they are taking candidates under their wing or not in the application forum, so we don't get applications piling up constantly with the expectation that a popularity contest will get them adminship.

Maybe some sort of central thread as to whether the admintrainers are free or not, and then applications being made when a spot opens up. I say this because we have an influx of new candidates, some not even selected by trainers, and trainers are technically the people who are supposed to be responsible for a candidate. And I say that because candidates often can't find someone to edit them to AC in game and there are times when it's a headmin just editing them because no trainer is available, and a rough mix of admins and headmins and whoever else is online watching over them.

also

>timezones

Applications would have to list usual timezones of activity because we have admins clustering in on 5+ admin rounds sometimes and sometimes one or zero admins at other times. Like I'm sorry if you're american and lead a normal life but we need less american admins or american admins who have a normal sleeping schedule, either one.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #94129

Timezone listing is a good idea. I also think applications would be open and closed based on a need of admins like other servers do, or just put apps on hold but allow apps to pile up? Something along the lines of that.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #94131

I still think a possible trialmin should need another admin to vet for them in the applications.

We have too many admins for us to just be going "lol I'm candidating five new admins because".
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #94176

Agreed with Vekter and Ausops on this. I purposefully only candidate 1-2 people at a time and I've started to make a habit of *only* candidating those players (currently it's lollerderby). We have a few too many candidates floating about who just say "Hey Jordie candidated me last week can you make me one?" then we do so and they don't actually get any learning done. I'd like to see trainers specifically have candidates assigned to them, etc.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #94247

Yea but you also candidated lollerderby only after we had like 5+ candidates simply because you had to get in your candidate as well. You really missed the ball on that and it only contributed to the problem. I honestly only think Jordie ever did a good job with the admin trainer rank while everyone else just used it as a title. This will solve that issue where trainers just candidate whoever without even bothering to communicate.

Edit: What I mean really is that because of your lack of communication, you brought in a candidate at an un-optimal time.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #94252

This is a good idea. We've been getting some really questionable admincandidates recently.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #94306

I wrote up a template. Note this is still just a concept.

Template
Spoiler:
Admin Application Form

Ckey:
Notable In-character names:
Timezone:

How long have you been playing on /tg/ station?

Outside of the game server, what kind of activity/interaction do you have in the community?(Ex: Coding, active on the forums, etc):

Do you have any notable bans or notes?

How familiar are you with the administrative tools?

Why do you want to become an administrator?

Misc/Extra information you want to add to your application:

Code
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[b] [center][size=150]Admin Application Form[/size][/center] [/b]

[b]Ckey: [/b]
[b]Notable In-character names: [/b]
[b]Timezone: [/b]

[b]How long have you been playing on /tg/ station? [/b]

[b]Outside of the game server, what kind of activity/interaction do you have in the community?[size=70](Ex: Coding, active on the forums, etc):[/size][/b]

[b]Do you have any notable bans or notes? [/b]

[b]How familiar are you with the administrative tools? [/b]

[b]Why do you want to become an administrator? [/b]

[b]Misc/Extra information you want to add to your application: [/b]
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #94320

Maybe change the wording around "notable bans or notes"
Because I think it sounds like "notable notes", and thats silly
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #94331

Here's the old admin app we used to have a few years ago.
Spoiler:
1. Why do you want to be an admin here? No, seriously,give a better answer than "I want to help." Why do you think you'd be a good one?

2.What hours can you be online? In American Central times because I am a lazy fuck. Will you be going back to school or work in the fall and have more restricted hours? Seriously its more trouble than its worth to put you through a trial process if you can't be online very much.

3. Any prior adminning experiences/jobs or whatever you think would make you a good admin?

4. How well do you understand the workings of the game? You can have a few gaps in your knowledge, but its best to be proficient and knowledgeable about all jobs so you can help players with their questions.

5. Do you get along with our current admins? Once again, not a popularity contest, but it'll be stressful for everyone if team members dislike eachother.

6.You have to give up ERP. Is this an issue?

7.Can you deal with the flood of meta knowledge you recieve and be able to play the game without cheating, or even enjoy the game?

8. Are you okay with having to play alot less, and observe alot more?

9. Are you comfortable handing out bans/punishing other players you'll be seeing again within a few days? What about friends?

10.Will you be able to lead by example? Nobody likes an admin that acts like a dick IC and then bans others for doing so.

11. You need to be on the /tg/station forums on a regular basis. You also need to be on IRC in our channel should you get selected.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #94339

tedward1337 wrote:Maybe change the wording around "notable bans or notes"
Do you have any note worthy notes that we should note?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #94355

Oh dear god what have I done
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #94357

Admins literally taking a vow of chastity

10.Will you be able to lead by example?

Boy do I wish our current admins took this to heart
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #94443

>we actually needed this in the admin application before ERP was banned

holy shit was our ERP problem really that bad?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #94448

Your avatar fits it, but I really hope this was more of a joke.

Since I, of course, want ERP back.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #94525

NikNakFlak wrote:
Perfect
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Durandan
Byond Username: Durandan

Post by Durandan » #94535

This rule killed my nascent ERP career. I've regretted agreeing to it ever since.

Seriously though I always thought some kind of written thing was a good idea, though I'd like to see what reasons were behind it being phased out.
Character: Jed Fleming [ghost]
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #94575

NikNakFlak wrote:
If a note wasn't noteworthy then it wouldn't be a note now would it
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #94688

Good idea. We're in dire need of transparency.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #95643

Before I left I had set in motion in a procedure to roll over the admin-trainer positions.

Simply put: not every admin is a good trainer or experienced enough to be able to teach others.

If you want to move to having the process be public and there be a more formal pool of accepted candidates you should do so with the precepts that:

1) Only headmins, the host, and the selected admin-trainer level admins have any real say on who goes in the pool or not.

2) Even if everyone votes you in there will be a final vote afterwards amongst the headmins/host whether you pass/fail that training procedure.

Anything less is a popularity contest.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #95648

I more or less thought it would be like that. Input from everywhere with only the final say from headmins/host. I mentioned it in the OP.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #95656

NikNakFlak wrote:I more or less thought it would be like that. Input from everywhere with only the final say from headmins/host. I mentioned it in the OP.
My bad, I must've missed that.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #95703

Ricotez wrote:
>we actually needed this in the admin application before ERP was banned

holy shit was our ERP problem really that bad?
It was never bad, it was just to make sure that people knew exactly that ERP was a no no for admins. Plenty of reasons for this, one of them was that it had been allowed for admins but the drama it brought up was not worth whatever benefit it brought.

Better to make something transparent instead of just letting players read the lines when it comes to rules no?
crack is whack but smacks got your back
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #95760

I think job applications for admin are silly.

When we had them the headmin at the time just picked his friends anyway, then declared revotes if admins voted them out after the trial, then eventually threw out the vote entirely when people wouldn't vote the way he wanted.

All the bureaucracy and systems people put in place are pointless because there isn't any actual recourse if headmins can and will just ignore the system when they want to anyway. And if the headmin is picking decent people it really doesn't matter much how they're doing it. I mean look at the admin complaints forum, which in all the time I've been here has resulted in action on less occasions than I have fingers on my hands. No number of extra rules will magically make people follow them.

It's well meaning but we're not a real government/job and no number of rules will make people take it more or less seriously.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #95765

Kor wrote:I think job applications for admin are silly.

When we had them the headmin at the time just picked his friends anyway, then declared revotes if admins voted them out after the trial, then eventually threw out the vote entirely when people wouldn't vote the way he wanted.

All the bureaucracy and systems people put in place are pointless because there isn't any actual recourse if headmins can and will just ignore the system when they want to anyway. And if the headmin is picking decent people it really doesn't matter much how they're doing it. I mean look at the admin complaints forum, which in all the time I've been here has resulted in action on less occasions than I have fingers on my hands. No number of extra rules will magically make people follow them.

It's well meaning but we're not a real government/job and no number of rules will make people take it more or less seriously.
Transparency tho
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #95767

Vekter wrote:
Kor wrote:I think job applications for admin are silly.

Transparency tho
Okay and? You're generally reporting the misbehavior to the person who did the thing in the first place, or a friend of that person. Nothing obligates them to respond at all to your complaint, or respond with anything other than a thin justification for "apology" before continuing to do it.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #95771

Don't blame a system on a bad egg kor.
Fr05tByt3
Byond Username: Fr05tByt3

Post by Fr05tByt3 » #95779

NikNakFlak wrote:Don't blame a system on a bad egg kor.
Act like that bullshit wouldn't continue to happen with the adminbase we have now.
Admin apps are just a mirage meant to give a false sense of transparency to the playerbase.
Nepotism has always been and always will be very prominent in selecting people for positions of power IRL and even more so on the internet. With few exceptions, whoever sucks the most cuck gets ahead. That's the way of the world because people are egotistical and selfish.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #95781

I'm not sure this is how you use 'cuck'.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #95785

Well, if you believe that happens, which it doesn't. That is fine.
If you believe that, then the only difference public admin applications does is you get to see the bullshit verses now where you don't get to see anything. It's a lose, lose for you.

If you don't believe that, then public admin applications open up the trialmin process and makes it more structured with community review before a trial even begins. Public admin apps literally get the community more involved in the process where they have basically zero say now. But ok, frostbye, we won't do it because everything is a conspiracy.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #95790

He's correct to a certain extent.
If you really don't believe that cognitive bias affects you or other people in their decision making you really must see the world more.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #95823

It always will to a degree (even on a subconscious level), but most of our decisions re: admins are made based on a player's history and willingness to help, not whether or not they're popular.
Spoiler: