Drones and Silicons

Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Drones and Silicons

Post by Kangaraptor » #29662

Bottom post of the previous page:

I realised that this hasn't properly been discussed or clarified - so this'll be the thread, I guess. The whole point of this is to come to some sort of consensus to avoid confusion about the drones and their relationship with the silicons on the station.

It's simple: should drones regard the AI as part of the station, or as another 'being' (contrary to what a lot of the current rules and policies seem to imply), thus being unable to do anything about the AI itself if it's been damaged or whatnot (ie: return it to the core, move it if the core is depowering, stuff like that).
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Re: Drones and Silicons

Post by Alex Crimson » #30725

I didnt feel it was worth killing another player over at the time. I know you can get banned for doing it, and im not the kind of player that kills without good reason.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #30732

Alex Crimson wrote:I didnt feel it was worth killing another player over at the time. I know you can get banned for doing it, and im not the kind of player that kills without good reason.
Drones aren't players. Or, rather, drones are dead players that are trivial to get back into the round; Just print some more drones.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30757

Alex Crimson wrote:I didnt feel it was worth killing another player over at the time. I know you can get banned for doing it, and im not the kind of player that kills without good reason.
The drone is interfering. Its laws specifically state not to interfere. If it breaks its laws, dunk it.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #30774

Better yet, pick him up, put him on your head for a second, and then put him into the disposal bin and quickly flush it.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #30782

Alex Crimson wrote:Tried to tell it to bugger off, but it wouldnt listen.
They can't hear you, its all garbled.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30785

MrStonedOne wrote:
Specifically, it can hear you, it just doesn't speak your language.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #30907

cedarbridge wrote:If it breaks its laws, dunk it.
This is a stupid solution. No one who tried to kill me as drone succeeded yet, unless I had like under 20% health. It's very easy to get away, with tablewalking, ventcrawling and all access.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #30912

MrStonedOne wrote:

I am aware. But you do see some of the letters, so you can sometimes guess what the human was saying.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #30915

Not to mention that words with few letters have a significantly better chance of not only being understood, but sometimes it wouldn't be garbled at all. One time I heard a human say a word fully by accident.

Also someone could just get a crayon and write a long, obnoxious, sentence that way.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #30948

It's what used for anything that cannot understand the speaker. Nobody complained before.

And what's bad about writing obnoxious sentences? Today I wrote "IMPROVE MAINTAIN REPAIR" above bridge.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30958

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:If it breaks its laws, dunk it.
This is a stupid solution. No one who tried to kill me as drone succeeded yet, unless I had like under 20% health. It's very easy to get away, with tablewalking, ventcrawling and all access.
Which part of it is stupid, the part where you got the nusance out of your lab or something else?
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #30974

cedarbridge wrote:Which part of it is stupid, the part where you got the nusance out of your lab or something else?
Presumably the part where a role designed for minimal interaction with players still in the round is requiring interaction from players still in the round.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30981

Arete wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Which part of it is stupid, the part where you got the nusance out of your lab or something else?
Presumably the part where a role designed for minimal interaction with players still in the round is requiring interaction from players still in the round.
Right, and obviously the drone is in the wrong for interfering in the first place. I'm just sayin, its easier just to toolbox the fucker while its messing with the console than start up an ahelp.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #31017

cedarbridge wrote: Which part of it is stupid, the part where you got the nusance out of your lab or something else?
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:No one who tried to kill me as drone succeeded yet, unless I had like under 20% health. It's very easy to get away, with tablewalking, ventcrawling and all access.
Read the whole post may be?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #31027

You don't need to kill it, leaving is actually pretty ideal.

Basically what I am saying it the drone must leave because it is interfering with the arc of your swings.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31030

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
cedarbridge wrote: Which part of it is stupid, the part where you got the nusance out of your lab or something else?
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:No one who tried to kill me as drone succeeded yet, unless I had like under 20% health. It's very easy to get away, with tablewalking, ventcrawling and all access.
Read the whole post may be?
I did read your post. Your survival isn't the matter in question. I want you to stop interfering with my console and my materials. I can thus attack you and chase you off. Toolboxes being the universal language, you fuck off. Message sent and received. Also, the drone should be getting a boink anyway for breaking its laws, but chasing them off IC serves both purposes without involving admins.
Braincake
Byond Username: Braincake

Post by Braincake » #38333

Since this thread seems to be more about Drones in general than Drones and Sillicons in particular, I'll just post this here.

What I'd like to know is if this:
elyina wrote:if a drone is trying to steal shit from you/your department or being a general nuisance, adminhelp it. a "being" is considered anything sentient that isn't a drone and also applies to dead bodies. we're going to be pretty no tolerance with job banning drones that break their laws.
Still applies? In barely a day (during highpop rounds), I've seen drones do the following:
  • Drag a human in critical condition away from a hull breach
  • Steal a hardsuit helmet
  • Smash the Captain's antique laser gun case, setting off the alarm, and disposaling the gun
  • Fakewall into the AI satellite foyer
  • "Fix" the telecomms floor with the SMES blown, leaving the wiring broken up, so the APC would never charge
A few of these were adminhelped (with 5+ admins on), but it never lead to anything, so I'd like to know how much tolerance there is at the moment.

Along a similar vein, I'd like to know which of the following is the actual policy, when it comes to killing thieving drones (as a non-antag):
Psyentific wrote:Drones aren't players. Or, rather, drones are dead players that are trivial to get back into the round; Just print some more drones.
Or the alternative:
QuartzCrystal wrote:Headmin decision is that rule 1 applies to them, antags can kill em if they want just like with everyone else, but you're still removing someone from the round, potentially permanently depending on if there's a competent roboticist.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #38336

Braincake wrote:I've seen drones do the following:
  • Drag a human in critical condition away from a hull breach
  • Steal a hardsuit helmet
  • Smash the Captain's antique laser gun case, setting off the alarm, and disposaling the gun
  • Fakewall into the AI satellite foyer
  • "Fix" the telecomms floor with the SMES blown, leaving the wiring broken up, so the APC would never charge
In order:
-Ahelp that shit.
-Bash him and take it back, or ahelp it if he's taking it off a person.
-Ahelp the fuck out of that
-Ahelp that one too, which I remember that one specifically and said drone was dealt with.
-"fix" the floor? Maybe he just doesn't know how to wire properly, in which case its still in a slightly better condition than it was while bombed. Or are you saying it cut the wires? If so, ahelp.

Generally I just gib the drone right out and remind him of the laws, next instance of being a shit they get a permanent jobban from drones.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #38340

Mostly just seen drones mess with simple mobs, like one snatched pets and put them in glass cases in engineering insisting they were "drones".
Braincake
Byond Username: Braincake

Post by Braincake » #38342

Saegrimr wrote:-Ahelp the fuck out of that
-Ahelp that one too, which I remember that one specifically and said drone was dealt with.
These two (Captain's laser and AI foyer) were very close to eachother and ahelped together. There was never any feedback though, but I'm glad these at least were resolved.
Saegrimr wrote:-Bash him and take it back, or ahelp it if he's taking it off a person.
Referring to my second question, this means bashing a drone when it's stealing things (while not breaking its laws) is acceptable, even as non-antag?

I'm sorry if I'm nitpicking here, but thieving drones have been getting on my nerves, and being allowed to bash them without having to consider the little annoying wannabe-sillicons feelings would be a major improvement, in my opinion.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #38344

Braincake wrote:There was never any feedback though, but I'm glad these at least were resolved.
Sorry, sometimes things like that are straightforward enough that I forget to get back to the person who ahelped initially.
Braincake wrote:Referring to my second question, this means bashing a drone when it's stealing things (while not breaking its laws) is acceptable, even as non-antag?
Right, while it'd be a dick move (hence rule 1) to just go and hunt the little guys down specifically to bash them for their tools/equipment, if they're being little turds stealing all your stuff or ripping up the everything, feel free to drop em. Actually, they can understand human speech now too so telling them to fuck off should be enough sometimes.

The problem here is most of the times things that would make people want to kill them are also things that probably break their laws and should be ahelped.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #38369

Saegrimr wrote:
Braincake wrote:There was never any feedback though, but I'm glad these at least were resolved.
Sorry, sometimes things like that are straightforward enough that I forget to get back to the person who ahelped initially.
Braincake wrote:Referring to my second question, this means bashing a drone when it's stealing things (while not breaking its laws) is acceptable, even as non-antag?
Right, while it'd be a dick move (hence rule 1) to just go and hunt the little guys down specifically to bash them for their tools/equipment, if they're being little turds stealing all your stuff or ripping up the everything, feel free to drop em. Actually, they can understand human speech now too so telling them to fuck off should be enough sometimes.

The problem here is most of the times things that would make people want to kill them are also things that probably break their laws and should be ahelped.
Drones don't 100% understand speech. The hearing radius for non-dronespeak is very small.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #38473

I actually wonder if it would be possible to make Drones unable to see mobs except other drones.
I know it IS possible to make it so that the drone can only see itself, but they probably should be able to see each other .
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #38487

Malkevin wrote:I actually wonder if it would be possible to make Drones unable to see mobs except other drones.
I know it IS possible to make it so that the drone can only see itself, but they probably should be able to see each other .
How can I avoid interfering with something I cannot see? Drones would just cause more trouble because they can never see anyone in R&D so they'd just sit there fucking around with the console with no idea visually that anyone is there to complain.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #38630

cedarbridge wrote:
Malkevin wrote:I actually wonder if it would be possible to make Drones unable to see mobs except other drones.
How can I avoid interfering with something I cannot see? Drones would just cause more trouble because they can never see anyone in R&D so they'd just sit there fucking around with the console with no idea visually that anyone is there to complain.
IMO Drones shouldn't be allowed to do things like that in the first place. A drone running up to the console to print a bag of holding or something for itself should be receiving a warning or some such.

You're a simple mob whose job is to skitter around the station fixing damages and providing a bit of flavor and ambience for other players. You shouldn't be trying to powergame being a drone by getting a BoH and looting tech storage or whatever. You've overstepped the scope of what these things were originally intended to be: dumb little things that skitter around fixing holes and staying out of the way.

Resource points are generated by players, so in effect you're stealing from them everytime you use the console to print something. That's interfering.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #38636

I like to think it's obvious when the powergaming crosses the line of "GOTTA GET MY DRONE BOH"

Don't deprive the station's crew of anything they can't easily replace.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #38646

Drones should get their own Drone Hole in a dark, sealed off, remote area of the station.
Only way in or out is through the air vent.

It'll have its own RD console, protolathe, circuit printer, and exofab (or a drone fab that can only make new drones)
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #38711

Or at the very least a Drone room with basic supplies that lets Drones actually get some stuff instead of looting other departments.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #38714

Malkevin wrote:Drones should get their own Drone Hole in a dark, sealed off, remote area of the station.
Only way in or out is through the air vent.

It'll have its own RD console, protolathe, circuit printer, and exofab (or a drone fab that can only make new drones)
I usually build one of those nests with the low quality modular parts laying around R&D. The hardest part is always building the vent from the nest (usually in space attached to the station) because atmos generally gets upset if the dispenser is moved and carrying enough pipes to set up the vent is tough to do manually.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #38832

I think pipes have fit in backpacks for a while now
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #38846

Malkevin wrote:I think pipes have fit in backpacks for a while now
They do, but I tend to build about 8+ tiles away from the main station body. That's a lot of trips to atmos.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #38923

See, if MoMMIs had been ported instead of this snowflake gotta-be-"original" drone business, you'd have RPDs and internal tools and thus no issues with needing a BoH to carry your shit.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #38990

If they were ported borgs would be useless, drones aren't as specialized as borgs and can't interfere with shit like borgs can.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #39009

I think you mean interface, only machines they cant interact with are things that you need to swipe your id on - namely apc and air alarm control panels, which are two things they really could do with having access to.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39086

Malkevin wrote:I think you mean interface, only machines they cant interact with are things that you need to swipe your id on - namely apc and air alarm control panels, which are two things they really could do with having access to.
Most drones do it the way I always did in science. Hack the wires.