Is there a reason to keep "Lings have killed someone" fluff?

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Is there a reason to keep "Lings have killed someone" fluff?

Post by Pandarsenic » #26596

I'm just going to flat-out state: I feel like that's only there to encourage validhunting, force them to fight the crew to live, etc.

I would much rather see a thing like Bay does where it's the canonical first known contact or at least something where the changelings are treated as diverse individuals, just like traitors, so that it isn't "FIND STUN KILL CUFF GIB/INCINERATE"

Is there any reason to keep it that way OTHER than to discourage friendly antagonists?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Is there a reason to keep "Lings have killed someone" fl

Post by Steelpoint » #26598

Even if you did get that line removed, it won't change anything since Changelings are, by definition, a non-human hostile intruder. Station AIs have no obligation to protect them, and in fact have a obligation to contain them to prevent possible harm since Changelings are a (afaik) know hostile entity that eats people. Humans on the other hand really dislike having a human eating monster on board their station.

If a Changeling wants to play the 'friendly' card, it takes the very real risk of someone, correctly, deciding to kill/warn/avoid it because it is a monster. Trying to kill a Changeling is a very real reaction that would occur. Since there is no restriction on antag knowledge, everyone knows what Changelings are capable of.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #26599

Why not just make Changelings a playable species?
While we're at it we can provide protection for the Cult of Elder Gods followers under the new, fluff approved Religious Tolerance laws by Nanotrasen.
Also we should work on the treaty between the Wizard Federation and the rest of the
I don't understand why we let people who don't antagonize play antagonists.
These are just two of the stupid, irrational thoughts that I type that I delete.
I wanted to frame them here forever so you all could see.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #26603

Technically, it should be possible for a changeling to go its whole existence without killing anyone, maybe? I think? Per current mechanics?

Since DNA sting became thing, anyway.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #26604

Pandarsenic wrote:Technically, it should be possible for a changeling to go its whole existence without killing anyone, maybe? I think? Per current mechanics?

Since DNA sting became thing, anyway.
To get their greentext? No.
Unless they got super lucky and rolled nothing but steal objectives and no assassinate/debrains.

The purpose of changelings is to appear like a human, if they want to be "friendly" then they should act like a human and not get caught being a changeling.
Or you know, turn off antag roles.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #26607

Changelings pretty much always have an assassinate objective. Them being nonhuman is enough in my mind, the presumed pre-existing murder means lawsets other than asimov also go after them innately (antimov kills them anyway) and you could get nonsense like AIs loop holing that the changeling is not itself even if they one human'd it a second ago.

There are plenty of ways to place a fake, the changeling name also refers to mythical baby snatchers that would leave a fraud in place of the actual babe. Also changelings are so hard to discern from humans they could just integrate into human society near seamlessly without replacing anyone.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #26609

If someone doesnt want to go fuck shit up they shouldnt have their antag settings on.

I'm getting really tired of the "peaceful antag" thing. Antags who dont do anything drag the round on and make it boring.
/vg/station Head Admin
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #26610

mrpain wrote:I'm getting really tired of the "peaceful antag" thing. Antags who dont do anything drag the round on and make it boring.
This is the most important thing people should be paying attention to.

Antagonists are antagonists, they are the bad guys, and while they don't always have to kill everyone or can be covert they have a responsibility to cause some sort of trouble or untick it.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Reviire
Byond Username: Reviire

Post by Reviire » #26632

My various cents.

I think this policy only encourages valid hunting. It doesn't give a changeling any ability whatsoever to even work with the AI. Under asimov, the AI would still have to kill the changeling if ordered. But under other lawsets, this will not always be the case.

It wouldn't allow friendly antags all the time, because some AI's may just kill them on the spot, but they don't have to.

Also, knowing the changelings objectives would be meta, wouldn't it?
Quote from: Gizogin on March 17, 2012, 01:59:01 pm
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #26656

To me this is sort of a symptom of a different problem. The fluff made sense under oldling because oldlings were scary and paranoia-inducing and something you want off your station as soon as possible. Even with armblade/armor/whatever, it is possible to be on a station with newlings without anything bad happening. This isn't a problem with policy, it is a problem with newling.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #26683

mrpain wrote:If someone doesnt want to go fuck shit up they shouldnt have their antag settings on.

I'm getting really tired of the "peaceful antag" thing. Antags who dont do anything drag the round on and make it boring.
Go fist yourself. I play non aggressive antag and I make things "fun" for everyone involved. Go ahead and say that you only want more combat.
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #26688

What's fun for you isn't fun for other people.
Some people like Nuke Ops teams that act like terrorists, and others prefer the Ops come on station as an elite Poker Champion team who want to bet their shuttle for the disk.
I have a frequently rotating view on peaceful antags. Some rounds I've pulled out my gun and lasered the person sitting across my desk as Captain for telling me they're a traitor, and other times I've almost had to work against the station to keep our non-harmful teamwork a secret.
When it comes to Changelings though, I've cemented my policy in the flavor text you want removed.
I'm not opposed to change, but what would it even be to? What else makes sense for an antag that's meant to become other people?
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #26690

Pandarsenic wrote:I'm just going to flat-out state: I feel like that's only there to encourage validhunting, force them to fight the crew to live, etc.

I would much rather see a thing like Bay does where it's the canonical first known contact or at least something where the changelings are treated as diverse individuals, just like traitors, so that it isn't "FIND STUN KILL CUFF GIB/INCINERATE"

Is there any reason to keep it that way OTHER than to discourage friendly antagonists?
Is there any reason to remove it? You haven't made any clear argument for removing it that I can see.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #26700

Aurx wrote:
Pandarsenic wrote:I'm just going to flat-out state: I feel like that's only there to encourage validhunting, force them to fight the crew to live, etc.

Is there any reason to remove it? You haven't made any clear argument for removing it that I can see.
Fluff-wise, it's no longer congruent with mechanics and it closes off RP opportunities the changelings would otherwise have with the AI and at times with the crew.
Aurx

Post by Aurx » #26705

Pandarsenic wrote:Fluff-wise, it's no longer congruent with mechanics and it closes off RP opportunities the changelings would otherwise have with the AI and at times with the crew.
That's an argument for removing it, but still not an argument for
Pandarsenic wrote:I would much rather see a thing like Bay does where it's the canonical first known contact or at least something where the changelings are treated as diverse individuals, just like traitors, so that it isn't "FIND STUN KILL CUFF GIB/INCINERATE"
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #26706

If you want to change this it will also have to go through coderbus as well. The current fluff is supported by code.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #26710

Aurx wrote:
Pandarsenic wrote:I would much rather see a thing like Bay does where it's the canonical first known contact or at least something where the changelings are treated as diverse individuals, just like traitors, so that it isn't "FIND STUN KILL CUFF GIB/INCINERATE"
Pandarsenic wrote: it closes off RP opportunities the changelings would otherwise have with the AI and at times with the crew.
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #26728

This whole threat implies this is a roleplay server.
Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #26730

That's because it is.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #26731

Lovecraft wrote:This whole threat implies this is a roleplay server.
http://www.tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewto ... =33&t=1296
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Aurx

Post by Aurx » #26736

Pandarsenic wrote:
Aurx wrote:
Pandarsenic wrote: it closes off RP opportunities the changelings would otherwise have with the AI and at times with the crew.
"An alternative would be good" and "We should use this alternative" are very different things. You've made an argument for "An alternative would be good", but that doesn't in any way support using your proposed alternative instead of another.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #26740

???

Current: "Changelings killed a person to replace them so they could get onto SS13."

Proposed: "Changelings are a diverse group who may or may not have killed a person in the past."

Advantages: More RP opportunities, does not dictate the player's character to them, less encouragement of GOTTA STROKE MY MURDERECTION FOR THAT SWEET VALID ASS.

Disadvantages: Encourages friendly antags? That's sort of a disadvantage?
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #26744

You were also advocating it being the canonical first encounter every changeling round, and that's a jarring difference between how changelings would be handled and every other antag would be handled. Right now there is no set policy against a HoS or Captain or even an assistant knowing what a changeling is capable of (and for good reason, shit like that would get word around pretty damn fast), but the same is true for blob, alien, traitors, wizard, and anything else. And these things exist because there exists no IC route in the middle of a round to FIGURE these things out. No 'research' can be done on a blob to figure out what it's weak to, you can't actually figure out an alien's weakness to fire without opening up a wiki page or having one captive (which will never happen) and any work done to do so would not be kept between rounds, the knowledge lost. Making the changeling rounds a massive snowflake in that players are forced to not know of them without doing the same thing for wizard (why did a gun just appear at my feet? It must be maintenance robots) blob (better go hit this thing with a spear because if I take out a welder, admins will boink me for metagame) and any other odd occurrence on the station (blinking red multitool? Guy randomly got leaped on by an alien but then it died mysteriously? Odd beacon found in maintenance? What the fuck is the station's power going out for? What does rampant brand intelligence mean?) would be just begging players to slip up and get boinked as there is no set precedent for setting this level of OOC knowledge from possibly applicable IC knowledge.

Just taking away the killing people fluff would be fine with me, but if you're going to take such a heavy hit to metaknowledge, at least make sure it's consistent with how metaknowledge is handled across the board.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #26770

I would enjoy that, to some degree, but there's literally no way the server as a whole would consent to actually making it a first contact scenario instead of a first robusting scenario, so... realistically, at least we can open up RP options by loosening the fluff not to dictate your character. I figure that should be reserved for things that are the basic definition of a roll - traitors are syndicate traitors, nuke ops are syndicate teams sent to nuke, cultists serve Nar-sie above all else, etc.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #26775

As I said, it does not matter if the fluff is changed or not. Changelings are free game to kill for everyone on the station, which is rare since normally AIs have to stand down.

You will have to change the rules to make players not kill a Changeling unless they are doing something bad.

While this scenario might encourage a 'rp' approach, though I personally believe this will change nothing as neither the crew nor the changeling has an incentive to play the 'friendly' antag.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #26785

Scott wrote:
mrpain wrote:If someone doesnt want to go fuck shit up they shouldnt have their antag settings on.

Go fist yourself. I play non aggressive antag and I make things "fun" for everyone involved. Go ahead and say that you only want more combat.
Making the round "fun" is fine, sometimes better than fucking shit up.

I should have worded that to "making the round more interesting'.

Point is, if you aren't going to use your antag status/free pass to do anything, don't take it. You're holding up the round and taking it from someone who could have used it better.

Now I'm not saying we should power through every round, slow, long rounds are fun too, but rounds that just drag out longer than they ought to ultimately hurt the server.
/vg/station Head Admin
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #26804

Pandarsenic wrote:Disadvantages: Encourages friendly antags? That's sort of a disadvantage?
It doesn't encourage friendly antags. It only ALLOWS for them to exist.

Fund it. Versatility is great, guys.