Space Law needs to be removed.

callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Space Law needs to be removed.

Post by callanrockslol » #35674

We are at the point where people following are liable to get banned for following it, its been a shitty guideline from the start and really hasn't helped attitudes towards when officer mcdumbass spends 5 minutes stripping and imprisoning someone for a 2 minute graffiti sentence.

It's a terrible guideline for new players in how to act as security and has never really been a good thing to begin with, either someone rewrite it or remove the whole thing already.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Space Law needs to be removed.

Post by cedarbridge » #35678

callanrockslol wrote:We are at the point where people following are liable to get banned for following it, its been a shitty guideline from the start and really hasn't helped attitudes towards when officer mcdumbass spends 5 minutes stripping and imprisoning someone for a 2 minute graffiti sentence.

It's a terrible guideline for new players in how to act as security and has never really been a good thing to begin with, either someone rewrite it or remove the whole thing already.
This is hardly a constructive complaint. Space Law works perfectly well as it is. Your experience with a poor officer has nothing to do with space law or its application.

Also, in the sense that you're complaining about a set of guidelines given to establish functionally standardized brig times, you haven't provided an alternative. "Make it up as you go" will and often does piss off more brigees than not. Alternatively we could remove security and the brig so nobody ever has to be arrested for breaking non-existant law again.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #35683

Resisting arrest or leading on officer on a chase runs the clock. That 2 minute sentence for smashing a window can quickly turn into a 5-10minute sentence if you screw around. It also varies depending on what you broke into and how much work it'll take to fix. Le grand sabotage faec.

Some people are just fucking klutzes when it comes to getting the important crap out of someone's pockets and into the locker. Here's how you do:

*) You shouldn't have any weapons in your hands at all during this process. There's no need.
1) Drag your handcuffed buddy into the brig, drag him over the open security locker.
2) Remove belt, backpack, and empty pockets.
3) You don't need to change their fucking clothes into the orange jumpsuit.
4) You don't need to take away their PDA and headset unless they're screaming and yelling over the radio the whole time.
5) Drag friend to bed, cuff to bed (THIS IS TEMPORARY)
6) Go outside the cell, set the timer. This should start the countdown and lock the locker.
7) Go back into the cell, unbuckle your friend from the bed and remove the cuffs, picking them back up. DONT BE A PIECE OF SHIT WHO LEAVES PEOPLE BUCKLECUFFED.
8) If your friend decides to take this opportunity to attack you, now is your opportunity to beat them half to death and then add "Assaulting an officer" to their brig timer on the way out.

For bonus points have the warden watch your back during this whole process. Sometimes people get lucky and you might wind up disarmed, or someone you thought was just a random vandal could turn out to be a changeling or syndicate operative in diguise.

You should be able to do this whole thing in under a minute. Like, seriously. You only have to strip three things off of someone.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #35709

Don't forget to:
1) Take off his sunglasses or mask if he has one
2) Actually search his shit
3) Check in his box; check in his bible if he's chaplain
4) Use your flash if he gets uppity because if he disarms it, he can't use it against you - you have HUD glasses!

It's not rocket science.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #35710

Don't forget to EMP his shirt, drag him over a banana, and pull his pen out of his PDA and prick him with it a couple times.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #35711

do you disagree with this form of brig procedure, saegrimr
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #35712

I was just being snarky. I tend to play "dumbcurity" unless they guy in question is being blatantly obvious about being a traitor.
Bag, pockets, sometimes don't check the box depending on how much trouble he was making me go through for the arrest.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #35713

An0n3 wrote:4) You don't need to take away their PDA and headset unless they're screaming and yelling over the radio the whole time.
uplinks you fucking cluwne :^)

but yeah, no removing radio headset unless they are being shit
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #35720

headsets can also be uplinks if you're a metagaming shithead at the start every round :^)
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #35723

miggles wrote:headsets can also be uplinks if you're a metagaming shithead at the start every round :^)
This.

Also if you have any reason to suspect he's a traitor with an uplink why the fuck are you putting him in a regular brig cell?

Reserve the ultra paranoid treatment for people who actually have done something to warrant it. Don't go all deep cavity search on every single person you arrest. If someone was committing something serious then Pandar's right, check the backpack and the box. Most of the people I'm always arresting are stupid little things like "So and so is running around punching everyone" or "This guy wandered into our department and wont leave". They're not exactly criminal masterminds.

On the flipside if you're actually a traitor with an uplink don't waste it trying to make a big scene breaking out of a timed brig cell. Wait for the clock to run up, calmly collect your things, and go back to doing what you're doing.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #35732

Who exactly has been banned as of late for following space law to the letter anyway?
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #35749

Got to admit, my sentences are either 5 minutes, 10 minutes, perma, or dragging off to add to my dead nigger storage on the gulag.
And I'm the guy that cared enough about Space Law to add a bunch of stuff to it.
omnitricks

Post by omnitricks » #35760

Space Law is pretty much useless to the game because admins rather get their banboner on than allow officers to punish people ICly according to space law for IC issues.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #35761

As I said, tell me who has been banned for following space law to the letter!?

I have never been banned for following space law, even back when I used to follow it nearly religiously. Sure you won't make many friends but that's beside the point.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #35814

Note: This page is merely a IC suggestion. It was voted for it to NOT become an official part of SS13. Administrators will only intervene when you are sentenced to grossly unfair times. If you get 3 minutes instead of 2, talk to the lawyer as it's considered an IC issue. A log of community votes can be found here.
Nobody ever seems to read this, despite it being prominently displayed against a red background at the top of the page.

At least once every time I play someone will inevitably adminhelp that they got brigged for too long. When I try to explain that, hey that sucks but you should be complaining to the HoS or Warden or Lawyer, it begins the tirade.

WOW SO A SEC OFFICER CAN JUST THROW ME IN THERE FOR WHATEVER FOR HOWEVER LONG NO WONDER /TG/ IS DYING FUCKING ADMIN BIAS LOVES SHITCURITY BLEEEHHGHHHH
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
bandit

Post by bandit » #35821

An0n3 wrote:Nobody ever seems to read this, despite it being prominently displayed against a red background at the top of the page.

At least once every time I play someone will inevitably adminhelp that they got brigged for too long. When I try to explain that, hey that sucks but you should be complaining to the HoS or Warden or Lawyer, it begins the tirade.

WOW SO A SEC OFFICER CAN JUST THROW ME IN THERE FOR WHATEVER FOR HOWEVER LONG NO WONDER /TG/ IS DYING FUCKING ADMIN BIAS LOVES SHITCURITY BLEEEHHGHHHH
Because the people who are complaining about space law are, by and large, the people who are salty they got arrested for legit crimes.

Personally I think Space Law is mostly fine. If anyone has specific complaints with it they would help their case a lot to BE SPECIFIC, because otherwise their "complaint" reads a lot like "I got dunked plz nerf" or "NO RULES FOR ANYONE SPESS ANARCHY 2555".

admin feedback pls
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #35840

When I play security and when I arrest someone for a minor crime, if they don't resist and just say "Fuck you caught me." I'll pretty much just search them (if code blue) and then let them on their way without brigging them.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #35851

You don't need code blue to search someone for committing a crime.

You need code blue to search someone for not committing a crime.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #35853

Raven776 wrote:You don't need code blue to search someone for committing a crime.

Code green I go even more lax. I'm basically a lazy sec.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #35856

QuartzCrystal wrote:
Raven776 wrote:You don't need code blue to search someone for committing a crime.

Code green I go even more lax. I'm basically a lazy sec.
That's usually the best attitude unless someone's setting off the PA, fuxxing with atmos, performing other large scale acts of round ending murder early off, or just straight murderboning.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #35868

An0n3 wrote:
Note: This page is merely a IC suggestion. It was voted for it to NOT become an official part of SS13. Administrators will only intervene when you are sentenced to grossly unfair times. If you get 3 minutes instead of 2, talk to the lawyer as it's considered an IC issue. A log of community votes can be found here.
Nobody ever seems to read this, despite it being prominently displayed against a red background at the top of the page.

This is basically it.

If somebody arrests you, they're shitcurity.

If they get jumped by a pair of shitler assistants and get their baton stolen they're unrobust faggots.

There is no middle ground and the only way to win is the permabrig.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #35869

Hence my signature.

A lot of people tend to take a very dim view of Security, and you just can't win. You just have to keep doing your job.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #35877

Steelpoint wrote:Who exactly has been banned as of late for following space law to the letter anyway?
A number of people have been threatened on the forums as of late
bandit wrote:
An0n3 wrote:Nobody ever seems to read this, despite it being prominently displayed against a red background at the top of the page.

Because the people who are complaining about space law are, by and large, the people who are salty they got arrested for legit crimes.

Personally I think Space Law is mostly fine. If anyone has specific complaints with it they would help their case a lot to BE SPECIFIC, because otherwise their "complaint" reads a lot like "I got dunked plz nerf" or "NO RULES FOR ANYONE SPESS ANARCHY 2555".
Nobody has ever read it, lots of people that don't brows the forum and spend their time in autistic"constructive" debates think space law is rules, it actually scares some people that I would suggest against the gospel that is spacelaw when I set brig timers occasionally, many players are unable to realize that you can think for yourself when it comes to things and like to follow the big text that tells them what to do and gives them validation that they are doing their job right.

I actually preferred it when security would beat your ass for committing crimes then stupidly try to fumble with cuffs while a naked clown wanders in and robs the place.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
bandit

Post by bandit » #35879

callanrockslol wrote:Nobody has ever read it, lots of people that don't brows the forum and spend their time in autistic"constructive" debates think space law is rules, it actually scares some people that I would suggest against the gospel that is spacelaw when I set brig timers occasionally, many players are unable to realize that you can think for yourself when it comes to things and like to follow the big text that tells them what to do and gives them validation that they are doing their job right.

I actually preferred it when security would beat your ass for committing crimes then stupidly try to fumble with cuffs while a naked clown wanders in and robs the place.
This is flawed for two reasons:

1. Given the high rate of BWOINK! by admins for perfectly legitimate briggings, it helps to have a document -- official or not -- to point to and say "I was just going by the book." The more you deviate or "think for yourself," the more you risk a ban.

2. Given the high rate of bitching about perfectly legitimate briggings by people who are being brigged, it helps to have a document to point to and assure them that their 2-minute brig timer is not a horrific sentence invented just for them / one of the four horsemen of shitcurity. Ideally it'd also be something for lawyers to refer to, but, well, lawyers.

admin feedback pls
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #35884

bandit wrote:1. Given the high rate of BWOINK! by admins for perfectly legitimate briggings, it helps to have a document -- official or not -- to point to and say "I was just going by the book." The more you deviate or "think for yourself," the more you risk a ban.
Honestly I only ever see space law referred to when i'm asking why an officer is perma-ing the mime for having a hand tele.
"ITS A CAPITAL OFFENSE SO ITS PERMABRIG." Which I then need to remind him he should seek the warden or HoS before throwing people in perma.
My last one went something like this:

PM to secdude: 8 minutes is a bit much for B&E don't you think?
Reply from secdude: Fucker made me chase his ass for 10 minutes and screamed shitsec all the way to the brig.
PM to secdude: Fair enough, thank you.

Its not bad, but sec needs to realize they're not at the top of the chain of command, and the warden/HoS really need to step up their brig management game.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #35904

You seriously cry over a minute sentence in the brig?
http://80.244.78.90/wiki/index.php/Space_law
Check this version of Space Law, that HAS to be followed on Paradise.
Then come back and tell me that Space Law here is unfair.
:^)
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #35905

callanrockslol wrote:A number of people have been threatened on the forums as of late
Er, examples?

Also, your solution is to remove space law? That's fucking stupid.

If we remove space law people will bitch about any sentence longer than 10 seconds "because it's unfair". With space law you can shut shitlers up by telling them specific crimes from space law, at least.
Spacemanspark wrote:You seriously cry over a minute sentence in the brig?
http://80.244.78.90/wiki/index.php/Space_law
Check this version of Space Law, that HAS to be followed on Paradise.
Then come back and tell me that Space Law here is unfair.
This is a really poor argument. You don't take into account length of rounds, rules, community, everything else that matters besides the time itself.

Also the fact that it could be poorly written in the first place.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #35906

Saegrimr, to be fair, sec has nearly as much authority as the warden and HoS. If the captain, HoS, or warden breaks the law, a sec officer can arrest them, and depending on the severity of the crime, demote them.
bandit

Post by bandit » #35963

firecage wrote:Saegrimr, to be fair, sec has nearly as much authority as the warden and HoS. If the captain, HoS, or warden breaks the law, a sec officer can arrest them, and depending on the severity of the crime, demote them.
Theoretically. In practice all hell will rain down if they use this power.

That said, I don't remember it ever being in the rules that security officers couldn't perma someone (who deserves perma, obviously) without HoS confirmation. I thought that was only for straight-up execution. Obviously in an ideal world security will be organized enough that it isn't an issue, but sometimes it's... not.

admin feedback pls
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #35970

Many situations require you to just dump a guy in the permabrig because the temporary brigging cells aren't secure enough. Just tell the HoS that there's a guy that needs sentencing in the perma.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #36084

bandit wrote:
firecage wrote:Saegrimr, to be fair, sec has nearly as much authority as the warden and HoS. If the captain, HoS, or warden breaks the law, a sec officer can arrest them, and depending on the severity of the crime, demote them.

That said, I don't remember it ever being in the rules that security officers couldn't perma someone (who deserves perma, obviously) without HoS confirmation. I thought that was only for straight-up execution. Obviously in an ideal world security will be organized enough that it isn't an issue, but sometimes it's... not.
Perma/Exectuion/Borging are all capital punishments. Borging/Perma are generally left to HoS/Warden descretion where actual execution is captain's privilege.
Antimattercarp
Byond Username: Antimattercarp

Post by Antimattercarp » #36152

bandit wrote:

I have done it before, it creates a whole lot of issues both IC and OOC when you do it through. You have to ambush said target, and get the first word in over the radio and through an adminhelp and you have to do it in rapid succession and have a really good reason to do it and be able to fill the gap you just made or else everything descends into chaos.
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #37838

I know I have dunked the captain before for horrible behavior as a sec officer. I think he was executing and spacing people accused of minor crimes if I remember correctly.

I basically talked to the other heads of staff (CMO, CE and RD, No HoP or HoS on the station) and got their consent then took him down quickly in security. We had a public trial, I sent a message to centcom about it and the captain went and got a job as janitor after a 10 minute sentence.

Getting the other heads of staff to agree to a captain take down really changes the dynamics.

The most important things about space law as it exists are the clear line between perma/execution and minor sentences, releasing deprogrammed cultists/revs and the duty officers have to the welfare of those detained or imprisoned.

I think a more clear definition of when heavy sentences are allowed and who allows it would be good. 30 minutes in detention or a 2000 point gulag sentence are really long and take you out of the game for a long time.