Higher Standards for Head of Personnel

Should we require the HoP to adhere to a code of conduct?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Yes, as a Head of Staff the HoP should be focused on helping the station.
23%
23%
23%
No, the HoP should be free to give out access and assign jobs however they wish.
10%
No, the HoP should be free to give out access and assign jobs however they wish.
10%
10%

Total votes: 201

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Higher Standards for Head of Personnel

Post by Timbrewolf » #40340

Bottom post of the previous page:

I started a discussion in secret adminbus subforum centered around our lax standards for behavior and job conduct for our Heads of Personnel.

It boils down to this: A HoP exercises a lot of authority over the station and can very easily throw a wrench into other departments, or give Security hordes of new trespassers to chase after. We don't currently hold them accountable for anything anyone does with the access they've been granted, nor do we require them to confer with other heads of staff before giving people access to their areas. Since I've been back I've witnessed a lot of HoP behavior I think detracts from the game, and I've seen more than enough cries in OOC of "Why isn't this guy Jobbanned?" to think something should change.

I'd like to conduct a survey of the playerbase to make sure it's a sentiment mirrored in the playerbase as well before we get too far along in talking about how we can deal with it.

A simple yes/no vote is fine. Please don't post "Oh yeah SO AND SO is a terrible asshole ban he". I don't want this to devolve into a bunch of ad hom attacks and defenses. Thank you.
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: Higher Standards for Head of Personnel

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41668

An0n3 wrote:Probably the people that get angriest at me for this are the hordes of assistant players who are asking for all sorts of jobs when only Sec is hiring today. Thems the breaks. Try adjusting your jobs preferences.
>trying to invalidate opinion you do not like by making assumptions that have no relevance to problem in question.
Also you're wrong.
cedarbridge wrote:I guess I never noticed because I've only ever seen service use their channel twice.
Usually when I use it either nobody answers or may be one person replies and then I stop hearing from them.
An0n3 wrote:Like others have posted, this is so stupidly easy to accomplish if you aren't already doing it and think it's the end of the world to have to do you're just godawful as HoP.

I've managed to finally get a few more rounds in as HoP and it's as easy as just asking at the start of the round "HoP here, check your departments and let me know who you need more of."

And BOOM. Done. You'll very quickly get back

"CMO here reporting in, could use a few more MD's."
"Only have a single atmos tech. Good on Engineers."
"RD here looks like a full house."
"There's hardly anybody in here send people to the warden to get implanted."

It's that easy. It's that stupidly easy.
Uh, it's even easier to look at your console. There it says "Scientist 5/5".

It's that easy. It's that stupidly easy. Like, why can't I make my own decision based on that?

It's actually quite a bit harder for heads to know this stuff because they have to go through crew manifest or PDA list to know the exact numbers.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41672

Lo6a4evskiy wrote: It's that easy. It's that stupidly easy. Like, why can't I make my own decision based on that?

It's actually quite a bit harder for heads to know this stuff because they have to go through crew manifest or PDA list to know the exact numbers.
A competent RD knows when they have enough scientists to effectively man all of the stations. It doesn't matter how many the manifest reads or how many slots there are. If the RD thinks his department only needs one guy in xeno then he really doesn't need nor probably want an extra guy sent up from the HoP. Before you jump back into "but late joins are the same!" it doesn't really matter IC. IC those late joins are shipped in from Central. If the RD didn't want more staff, he can take it up with them after the shift is over (or via the comms console if he's feeling cheeky.) If YOU send that extra chucklefuck to what the RD considers an already well-staffed department, he gets to take it out on you because you're the one who made the reassignment, not Central.

I legit cannot understand why you have this need to manage the other departments or exercise this extra control over them simply because you have a console that allows you to fuck with the number of people assigned to those departments. And through it all you still cannot understand why a head of staff would be upset about this. I mean, if you cannot even process why what you want to do pisses people off, I don't think the station's HR job is for you. Again, if you want to micromanage the other heads of staff and their departments, play captain.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41718

cedarbridge wrote:I legit cannot understand why you have this need to manage the other departments or exercise this extra control over them simply because you have a console that allows you to fuck with the number of people assigned to those departments.
Because that's almost all there is to the job?

Frankly it's like asking "why you have this need to manage other people or exercise this extra control over them simply because you have access to the department office and a shiny ID".

Because it's part of the fucking job, that's why.
cedarbridge wrote:it doesn't really matter IC.
Oh shit, I'm sorry I would like to prioritize letting people have fun over "roleplay".

Honestly, you all think that extra pair of hands is bad? Have you looked at them? Have you talked to them? May be they know the department better than you. May be they're better suited to be fucking department head. Am I supposed to turn them away just because you want your precious insulated gloves to sit in the locker being useless.

The fact of the matter is, heads aren't always right.

Okay, actually, let's change the subject. Let's suppose we take away HoP's ability to assign jobs. I'm sorry, assigning access to ID doesn't really count since it is literally only pressing buttons.

What's left:
1) Assigning cargo and service
2) Supposedly supervise cargo and service

Is that really all you guys want HoP to do?
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #41724

>heads aren't always right

That's not for you, as HoP, to decide. If it's not your department, you have no authority.
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #41725

The the HoP might as well have No authority.
Random Players
Byond Username: Random Players

Post by Random Players » #41727

The HoP has his own department. Service and Supply.
He can check in on the other ones, but doesn't have any authority there. There's a REASON the HoP doesn't START with all-access.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41729

Scott wrote:>heads aren't always right

That's not for you, as HoP, to decide. If it's not your department, you have no authority.
"HoS cannot arrest scientist, it's not his department, he has no authority"
By the way, both HoS and HoP have access to all departments.

Let me be clear here.

We are going to decide in this thread what do we want exactly from HoP.

HoP can have the right to decide this and can have the authority if we want him to have it.

Now, I personally want him to have it, because otherwise HoP will not HAVE any authority.

Service and supply are jokes. Neither needs supervision in any way.

But anyway, I'd like to read everyone's answer to the question: "What do you want Head of Personnel to do as part of his/her job?"
Random Players
Byond Username: Random Players

Post by Random Players » #41732

Personally, I'd like it if HoP's properly ensured that the other heads give permission before assigning to a department and also keep a eye on the Service and Supply jobs.

If they have the time, they can use their BASIC ENTRY access to check up on the other departments but not have any delusions of authority.
They would be inspecting, not commanding. Barring imminent station threats (Singularity containment about to fail, someone bombing genetics, etc) they would only take the issues to find to the Head/Captain/(HoS if appliciable, see below). In a ideal situation, at least.

To use the scientist bit you mentioned: If he sees the scientist doing something questionable like making a lot of weapon lockboxes for seemingly no reason or breeding red slimes, he could call in security/HoS to check it out.
If the scientist is acting dodgy while shoving bombs in their backpack or blatantly emagging weapon boxes though? Arrest the fucker and search.

Not the best examples, but I hope my general point is clear.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41733

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:

"HoS cannot arrest scientist, it's not his department, he has no authority"
By the way, both HoS and HoP have access to all departments.

Let me be clear here.

We are going to decide in this thread what do we want exactly from HoP.

HoP can have the right to decide this and can have the authority if we want him to have it.

Now, I personally want him to have it, because otherwise HoP will not HAVE any authority.

But anyway, I'd like to read everyone's answer to the question: "What do you want Head of Personnel to do as part of his/her job?"
The HoS is in charge of enforcing Space Law.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #41738

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Now, I personally want him to have it, because otherwise HoP will not HAVE any authority.

I would want the HoP to be just one of the Heads, rather than a 2nd-Captain-without-most-responsibility.
Specialization rather than jack-of-all-tradeism. Only when Captain dies he's lifted above other Heads, simple as that.

The biggest problem is, like you said, that HoP's departments need no management.
If the cargo + civil -departments had even anything remotely to do with HoP, this would make HoP's job feel like you're actually needed, instead of after the roundstart-rush most HoPs going "guess I'll just go be batman now or whatever...". I've idea how cargo and civil departments should be overhauled, though. Remove QM and replace with HoP?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41739

Scott wrote:The HoS is in charge of enforcing Space Law.
Well there you go, a living example of head having authority beyond his department.
kosmos wrote:2nd-Captain-without-most-responsibility
What makes HoP second captain though? Managing assignments != having authority.

Just because he can decide where to assign somebody, doesn't mean he can order them around, for example. Or take department's property for that matter.
kosmos wrote:Remove QM and replace with HoP?
Well, that would certainly be possible. Valid opinion, even though I don't support it, personally.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41742

Well actually people either said that they want heads of relevant departments decide whether or not they want more people or I misunderstood something. But I'm pretty sure people said they don't want HoP to decide.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41747

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Scott wrote:The HoS is in charge of enforcing Space Law.
Well there you go, a living example of head having authority beyond his department.
His authority is extended when Space Law is broken. HoP's authority is extended when he becomes acting Captain. If he is not acting Captain, he's the guy who has access to an ID console, that doesn't mean he can steal access or give illegal access.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #41748

kosmos wrote: The biggest problem is, like you said, that HoP's departments need no management.
If the cargo + civil -departments had even anything remotely to do with HoP, this would make HoP's job feel like you're actually needed, instead of after the roundstart-rush most HoPs going "guess I'll just go be batman now or whatever...". I've idea how cargo and civil departments should be overhauled, though. Remove QM and replace with HoP?
People keep saying this but how often do the see hydroponics grow nothing but dank, shrooms, and bananas; compared to them growing actual food?
How often do you see cargo hoarding points for themselves and building autism forts; instead of ordering things for the crew, either reactively or proactively?
How often do you see assistants breaking in everywhere and generally being dicks; compared to doing something useful?
When was the last time you saw the clown or mime be actually funny and entertaining, instead of being an unfunny prick?
When was the last time you saw the bartender and chef put on a banquette or throw a party?

Fact is the department of misfits and discontents that makes up the HoP's underlings needs the most management of any department.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41750

Truth.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41795

Bingo. You're not the captain. You don't get to micromanage departments that aren't yours. Your example with the HoS is a red herring. You show me a HoS walking into sci and telling a telesci tech or roboticist what to do outside of arrest and search procedures and I'll show you a HoS that is going beyond his authority. You keep going back to this as though access = authority but its really not. Ability to access a department does not translate to an ability to administrate that department. I mean, you can complain all you want about how "supply and service are a joke" but that's not a ticket to go find another department to manage. Either do something with what IS your jurisdiction, or play a job that lets you manage those other departments while actually having responsibility for them. That's really what you're not getting. Heads of staff are in charge of their department because they're responsible for what happens there. The HoP is not in authority to administrate Science because he has no responsibility for anything that occurs there.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41802

cedarbridge wrote:Your example with the HoS is a red herring. You show me a HoS walking into sci and telling a telesci tech or roboticist what to do outside of arrest and search procedures and I'll show you a HoS that is going beyond his authority.
HoS is enforcing the law and HoP is managing access, neither have the authority over people. Tell me what's wrong with this approach.
cedarbridge wrote:You keep going back to this as though access = authority but its really not. Ability to access a department does not translate to an ability to administrate that department. I mean, you can complain all you want about how "supply and service are a joke" but that's not a ticket to go find another department to manage. Either do something with what IS your jurisdiction, or play a job that lets you manage those other departments while actually having responsibility for them. That's really what you're not getting. Heads of staff are in charge of their department because they're responsible for what happens there. The HoP is not in authority to administrate Science because he has no responsibility for anything that occurs there.
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Managing assignments != having authority.
At least don't make me repeat myself.

With your approach there might as well be no HoP. We should instead make ID consoles with JUST department access, operated by heads, in their offices or near front doors. And give captain the current one. I don't think it should be this way.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41832

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:With your approach there might as well be no HoP. We should instead make ID consoles with JUST department access, operated by heads, in their offices or near front doors. And give captain the current one. I don't think it should be this way.
There have already been lists made of all the things the HoP can do that don't involve medling in the departments of other Heads without invitation or good reason. Shockingly, these activities don't require the HoP to go over anyone's head or use any access or authority he/she didn't already start with at shift start. In fact, a large number of those totally legitimate activities don't even require the use of the ID console. I mean, I get that you seem to have this concept that HoPs are only "useful" if they're sitting at their desk assigning people jobs to departments (something you still seem to think doesn't require even token attention to the person in charge of that department.)

Believe it or not, you are exercising authority (undue) over departments when you authorize job changes to those departments. You're actively taking a hand in saying who will and will not work in that department. You're then somehow absolved of any of the consequences of that choice because they're now (Head of Department)'s problem now. That's shitty and you should feel bad for thinking its anything but.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41841

Let me ask you this.

What's legitimately bad about HoP, objectively the most informed person on the station, making a decision about someone's employment?

If you're gonna talk about how he might do something bad and that is enough to remove that part of his job, then we should have whole station of independent all access assistants, since that argument can be applied in virtually any situation where someone depends on another person.
kevinthezhang
Byond Username: Kevinthezhang

Post by kevinthezhang » #41847

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Let me ask you this.

What's legitimately bad about HoP, objectively the most informed person on the station, making a decision about someone's employment?

If you're gonna talk about how he might do something bad and that is enough to remove that part of his job, then we should have whole station of independent all access assistants, since that argument can be applied in virtually any situation where someone depends on another person.
Shouldn't the person managing the employee be the one to make that decision? Considering that they're the one who's going to be managing and working with them, not the HoP.

If I can use an analogy based on interviews in RL, HoP is like the HR interviewer while the other heads are the specific industry/technical interviewers. So I suppose they're both important but its wrong for the HoP to make the decision by himself.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #41848

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Objectively the most informed person on the station, making a decision about someone's employment?
Please tell me the tales of the Head of Personnel who walked into every department to check the status of each employee and whether they were fucking off or doing their job, compared to the normal heads of staff who have significantly less to keep track of and are able to make more informed decisions about their workers. It's a two-part problem, if the heads don't want more turds floating in their department they should tell the HoP, and he should fucking listen.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41850

Which is why HoP can ask the head and still be the person with most information, ultimately making the decision.

I mean, why would I be against HoP asking head's advise? I'm against this whole "head doesn't answer means you cannot give the relevant job to a person" thing. And frankly I'm all for asking head to come down and talk with applying guys, it's just they never do.
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #41856

Saegrimr wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Objectively the most informed person on the station, making a decision about someone's employment?
Please tell me the tales of the Head of Personnel who walked into every department to check the status of each employee and whether they were fucking off or doing their job, compared to the normal heads of staff who have significantly less to keep track of and are able to make more informed decisions about their workers. It's a two-part problem, if the heads don't want more turds floating in their department they should tell the HoP, and he should fucking listen.
why should a head of staff which has 10 times the shit to do then HoP be responsible for employment?
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #41858

Antonkr wrote:why should a head of staff which has 10 times the shit to do then HoP be responsible for employment?
Because if the head of staff is NOT making sure his employees aren't fucking off and starting a "book club" in xenobio, or the likes, he probably should rethink being a head.
Takes like 5 seconds to say ":c Hey HoP, we're full up here on Science, don't send any more."
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41907

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:What's legitimately bad about HoP, objectively the most informed person on the station, making a decision about someone's employment?
You're still sticking to that "Objectively the most informed" bit as though it were true. I'll still maintain the head of the department will always be more informed about the needs of their department than a guy sitting at a console watching job slot numbers count up or down.

You ask this question while choosing not to respond to the fact that the HoP has essentially zero responsibility for their assignments after the new guy leaves his line with his shiny new ID. You want the HoP to have authority in departments (via determining who can work in those departments without requirement to even speak to the affected department's head of staff) without the responsibility for any fallout. Its not that something "can be done" its that you're literally asking for the ability to do so and phrasing it as something being taken away.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41921

So you essentially want HoP removed and let heads assign their own? Okay.
cedarbridge wrote:I'll still maintain the head of the department will always be more informed about the needs of their department than a guy sitting at a console watching job slot numbers count up or down.
You could at least explain yourself when you make statements.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #41931

Antonkr wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:
why should a head of staff which has 10 times the shit to do then HoP be responsible for employment?
Because if he already has 10 times the shit to do and the HoP irresponsibly adds a bunch of new people to his apartment he now has between 11-20 times as much shit to do as he has to keep an eye on these guys, get them geared, assign them tasks, make sure they don't just start breaking shit and killing eachother, etc. etc. etc.

The HoP can very easily make what is already a significant workload that much worse.

By your own words, if the HoP already has such an easier time of things than those heads, why is it so much to ask him to do one iota more work and ask those people if they need more people before giving them more people to manage?

WELL ANYWAY we should be able to conclude this matter soon. The last headmin vote is nearly concluded and there's a fairly healthy discourse in this thread.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #41974

An0n3 wrote:Because if he already has 10 times the shit to do and the HoP irresponsibly adds a bunch of new people to his apartment he now has between 11-20 times as much shit to do as he has to keep an eye on these guys, get them geared, assign them tasks, make sure they don't just start breaking shit and killing eachother, etc. etc. etc.
Solution: do not let anyone into your department, tell HoP to close slots and do R&D by yourself. Clearly the way to go.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41997

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:So you essentially want HoP removed and let heads assign their own? Okay.
cedarbridge wrote:I'll still maintain the head of the department will always be more informed about the needs of their department than a guy sitting at a console watching job slot numbers count up or down.
You could at least explain yourself when you make statements.
Is your entire position a terracotta army of strawmen?

-Nobody advocated excluding everyone from a department
-Nobody (but you) advocated removing the HoP
You should stop. You've convincing nobody with hyperbole and strawman arguments.

If you seriously think all there is to managing a department is knowing how many people are numerically assigned to that department then I really don't know what to tell you. I don't really know how to make you see that the person ACTIVELY MANAGING THE DEPARTMENT is somehow more informed about the condition and working conditions of that department than a guy seeing it in a single digit form who apparently spoke to some guy standing in line that wants to enter that department. You're the HR guy, not the floor manager. You can determine if somebody is suitable, but not if somebody is actually needed or wanted. I don't see what's so hard to get about that.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #42013

Look, you want to take away HoP's major responsibility. What's left is all access, egun and few cargo boys you can theoretically order around. The reason mostly being as I understand that heads will have to deal with people that he sends to them. Well, heads don't own their departments either. There are people in the department who can suffer the consequences of wrong person being there and it doesn't really matter to them who makes the decision, HoP or their head. My point is, there are always people who depend on others, shit can happen, and that is not good enough reason to remove most of what HoP is supposed to do.

As for who's more informed, like I said, nothing prevents HoP from consulting others, including department heads, but he's the one who ultimately can gather all the information together, which makes him the most informed and who can decide based on applicant's preferences, available jobs, relevant head's opinion on the matter, etc. Heads only get one side of it all.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #42018

I don't get why people expect the HoP to handle cargo, considering there's already a pseudo-head that handles cargo and mining.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #42021

I don't get why people expect the HoS to handle Security, considering there's already a sub head to manage the brig and dispatching officers.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42024

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:As for who's more informed, like I said, nothing prevents HoP from consulting others, including department heads, but he's the one who ultimately can gather all the information together, which makes him the most informed and who can decide based on applicant's preferences, available jobs, relevant head's opinion on the matter, etc. Heads only get one side of it all.
So, considering the head's "opinion." RD says they don't need more scientists, but you see an open job slot and have some nobody asking to be a scientist. Fuck that RD he's getting another scientist anyway right? That's called going over his head and usurping his authority inside his department. And then when you're done you hold no responsibility for it.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #42029

Well now who's making assumptions?

First of all, seeing 4/5 or 5/5 slots I probably wouldn't consider offering job at all. Seeing 1/5 is quite enough to justify a transfer on my own. Sure, I could ask the head, but what possible reason outside of outright selfish ones they could have? Of course, if they provide a valid reason for their objection, that's one thing. Another thing is when you clearly see that there aren't any people in the department and the head refuses you because they feel like it. I would probably think twice about that kind of objection.

It's quite simple, really.

Seriously, how bad does HoP assigning people can get? I haven't had a problem with that as head player. Worst I got was having HoP assign another HoS from some assistant when I was HoS from very start. That's sheer incompetence though. I just downgraded a guy to an officer and left him with my cool suit. Later became captain and made that guy HoS.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42049

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Well now who's making assumptions?

First of all, seeing 4/5 or 5/5 slots I probably wouldn't consider offering job at all. Seeing 1/5 is quite enough to justify a transfer on my own. Sure, I could ask the head, but what possible reason outside of outright selfish ones they could have? Of course, if they provide a valid reason for their objection, that's one thing. Another thing is when you clearly see that there aren't any people in the department and the head refuses you because they feel like it. I would probably think twice about that kind of objection.

It's quite simple, really.

Seriously, how bad does HoP assigning people can get? I haven't had a problem with that as head player. Worst I got was having HoP assign another HoS from some assistant when I was HoS from very start. That's sheer incompetence though. I just downgraded a guy to an officer and left him with my cool suit. Later became captain and made that guy HoS.
So give your thought process here, why is it then essential that you have the final say on these promotions other than power level dickwaving? It doesn't add anything to the "job" because you're still just pushing a button on an ID console except you then have the ~good feeling~ that you didn't have to ask the head but did anyway to not be a jerkass. I mean, you keep bringing up "selfish" heads of staff or whatever else you can stadle on a hypothetical ogre of a head of staff, but again, its not your job to police the heads.
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #42141

You know what pisses me off as a head, when one of my subordinates asks for a different job and the HoP doesn't ask me if he has permission to change his job. Or even tell me that I'm down one subordinate if he doesn't even ask me.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #42146

Malkevin wrote:I don't get why people expect the HoS to handle Security, considering there's already a sub head to manage the brig and dispatching officers.
except that while the warden only manages one aspect of his department, the QM can manage all of it
the difference between the HoP and the QM, pertaining to cargo, is that one has all access
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #42163

Really? The qm can manage the barman, chef, and botanists? He can also manage the clown mime and assistants?

Warden can do everything the hos can do as far as managing security is concerned.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #42238

Malkevin wrote:Really? The qm can manage the barman, chef, and botanists? He can also manage the clown mime and assistants?

Warden can do everything the hos can do as far as managing security is concerned.
miggles wrote:
Malkevin wrote:I don't get why people expect the HoS to handle Security, considering there's already a sub head to manage the brig and dispatching officers.
except that while the warden only manages one aspect of his department, the QM can manage all of it
the difference between the HoP and the QM, pertaining to cargo, is that one has all access
learn to goddamn read
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #43076

Final decision is pending. Thank you everyone for participating. It seems like a very large majority of players and admins are in support of this decision, so we've just got to figure out the exact wording and we'll update the relevant sections of the game manuals and policy to reflect it.
Violaceus wrote:
CocaneStyle wrote:You know what pisses me off as a head, when one of my subordinates asks for a different job and the HoP doesn't ask me if he has permission to change his job. Or even tell me that I'm down one subordinate if he doesn't even ask me.
People aren't slaves to you, you know.

The real problem is that these people never return items taken from original department.
Is a last minute concern I hadn't really thought about before. It doesn't seem fair to make people returning their departments property to the department it belongs the HoP's responsibility. If anything, it seems like a sort of pseudo-theft that it would be up to the people in that department to report to sec. If a jerk wants to take a bunch of materials, gloves, and tools from engineering and then run and get changed to a clown it's ultimately down to what he ends up doing with that stuff and if sec notices and confiscates it from him.

It'd be nice for the HoP to let both people know, but that quickly be a communications clusterfuck. Let's just go with having the HoP ask the head of the department they're getting access too first.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #58985

Rise from your Gay

So we've established... again, that the HoP can not assign people to other departments without that department's head's permission.

But what about demotions?
Can the HoP demote anyone they feel like, for example because the person decided to act like a dick and hurt the HoP's feelings
From any department, even withOUT that department's head's permission?

What about other heads, if someone (who is not part of their department) is harassing their department can they beat them down and take their id, then use the bridge ID console to demote the git to sub-assistant?

And what of security?
If someone is abusing their access can security do a pseudo-demotion via confiscating their ID?
Should security have to take that ID to the HoP to have the access stripped or are we content with sec just throwing the perp out and making them do the leg work of getting a new ID themselves? (Personally I think the prisoner consoles should have an option to just strip the ID of any accesses and change the job title to *DEMOTED*.)
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #59164

This code of conduct does need to be well-defined. A non-traitor HoP can open a trillion clown or mime slots, and yet give out access appropriately and be responsible. This ought to be perfectly fine.

I know people will 'toe the line', but that ought to be OK in the first place. In the second place, there have been some excellent rounds with all-access (minus ID console if the HoP is competent) clowns/mimes saving the station, and the inverse as well. I'd hate to see that sort of theatre-bias HoPs tend to have dissolve entirely as a result of this.

Furthermore, those that create the code of conduct, ought to be those that actually play the role occasionally.

Finally, the new code of conduct must be well broadcasted.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #59321

This was resolved, the wiki has been updated to reflect the new standards.
A non-traitor HoP can open a trillion clown or mime slots, and yet give out access appropriately and be responsible. This ought to be perfectly fine.
Is self-contradictory. It's irresponsible to open a million clown or mime slots. We've seen people do this and the pattern of behavior it encourages. They quickly form a gang and start harassing the entire station in groups. It happens every.single.time. a HoP does this gimmick. It doesn't change, and thus the new rules to prevent that wont change either.

The incident Malkevin points to is an isolated incident and example of one player using his IC resources to harass another player, who turned around and used his IC resources to harass him back. It doesn't set a precedent nor should rules be created specifically to explain and codify this one time thing.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #59327

But demotions are still a thing that happens with some regularity, should there not be a policy on it?
When does a demotion breech IC issue ground and go into OOC?

The questions weren't brought about by that specific incident, it just made me realise theres no real established policy beyond "Demotions are IC issues".

By the way if it came off as me supporting Jeb for throwing an autistic shitfit and getting slapped down you obviously don't know me as well as you think.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #59521

Violaceus wrote:
CocaneStyle wrote:You know what pisses me off as a head, when one of my subordinates asks for a different job and the HoP doesn't ask me if he has permission to change his job. Or even tell me that I'm down one subordinate if he doesn't even ask me.
People aren't slaves to you, you know.
Yes they are.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Ahammer18
Byond Username: Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #59528

I am personally of the opinion that the HoP should be deposed if he is handing out high level access such as (but not limited to):
Security
Engineering
Secure storage
Any head of staff office
All-access
Science

When in doubt ask the corresponding head of staff.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #59649

Increasing jobslots is a slow process compared to handing out all access which can be used to make more all access IDs. I think it is likely totally possible to deal with it IC.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #59674

I guess I should've started a new thread...
But what about demotions?
Can the HoP demote anyone they feel like, for example because the person decided to act like a dick and hurt the HoP's feelings
From any department, even withOUT that department's head's permission?

What about other heads, if someone (who is not part of their department) is harassing their department can they beat them down and take their id, then use the bridge ID console to demote the git to sub-assistant?

And what of security?
If someone is abusing their access can security do a pseudo-demotion via confiscating their ID?
Should security have to take that ID to the HoP to have the access stripped or are we content with sec just throwing the perp out and making them do the leg work of getting a new ID themselves? (Personally I think the prisoner consoles should have an option to just strip the ID of any accesses and change the job title to *DEMOTED*.)
But demotions are still a thing that happens with some regularity, should there not be a policy on it?
When does a demotion breech IC issue ground and go into OOC?

The questions weren't brought about by that specific incident, it just made me realise theres no real established policy beyond "Demotions are IC issues".

By the way if it came off as me supporting Jeb for throwing an autistic shitfit and getting slapped down you obviously don't know me as well as you think.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #59698

As far as I'm concerned, demotions are an IC issue as long as the motive wasn't OOC, and they're not ramdomly griefing people.

Security may confiscate IDs like they confiscate anything else. Stealing IDs for their own gain is already covered under security policy.

So they are treated like most regular IC interactions. I don't see the need to specifically police either of these OOC.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #59728

Malkevin wrote:By the way if it came off as me supporting Jeb for throwing an autistic shitfit and getting slapped down you obviously don't know me as well as you think.
We've talked long enough over issues for years now, I know you well enough to know you were thinking about the precedent the situation might set and not directly choosing a side.

The instances of someone getting demoted are still very low compared to the instances of someone getting promoted. Lots of rounds go by without anyone getting demoted.

Rather than try to cook up more rules for what happens (eg. should an engineer ask the CE before he can quit?) just look at every situation as a promotion to another position, even if it's obviously a step down in rank or responsibility, and try to contact the head responsible for the department they're entering.

I would encourage HoP's to request all relevant equipment from someone before giving them a new job, and consider refusing to transfer them outright if they don't return any gear they took from their initial department. Taking insulated gloves, a tool belt, mesons, and other crap from engineering then requesting to be made into a new clown is basically theft.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #59732

I always said that other heads should have some form of ID console power, at least to remove those access's in their specific department.
Cmo should be able to remove medbay access from a doctor (Or the clown when he is given all access)
HoS should be able to remove armory/sec access from an assistant (Or more likely, captain clown)
etc etc
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.