Tram Clarification

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Tram Clarification

Post by MMMiracles » #604133

The main complaint I've heard between the 3 main servers when it comes to Tramstation is that there are a subset of players who enjoy abusing the call mechanic of the tram to constantly send it back and forth between the docks, meaning at best it becomes out of use to the rest of the crew and at worst its running over crew and effectively sabotaging a core section of the map.

Personally, I find this funny when an antag does this. I enjoy the interactions the crew can get out of it. The problem is that apparently, those who usually do this aren't antags. They actively barricade the tram and spend their time constantly sending it back and forth. I was under the assumption admins would deal with these people the same way any other station griefer would be, but either people aren't bothering to report these people or enforcement is inconsistent when it comes a map-specific feature.

I don't want to have to turn this into a code solution because some steps have already been taken for the more grievous offenders (people stealing the tram board roundstart meant the console can no longer be deconstructed). I'd rather leave the tram as an interesting environmental hazard that also serves a purpose, not a coddled box because a few people ruin a good thing for everyone else.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Re: Tram Clarification

Post by Cimika » #604207

Barricading the tram as a non-antagonist is map grief. It's already enforced, or should be enforced under the same principles as map grief. I have personally taken actions against players for walling off or destroying parts of the tram.

Repeatedly calling the tram back and forth, however, does not feel like an administrative issue and probably shouldn't be one. If someone is being a knobhead with the Tram control, handle it IC, unless aggravating circumstances.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #604208

Cimika wrote: Repeatedly calling the tram back and forth, however, does not feel like an administrative issue and probably shouldn't be one. If someone is being a knobhead with the Tram control, handle it IC, unless aggravating circumstances.
Unless this is a "You are not allowed to defend yourself while you're griefing" sort of thing, this seems like a really easy way for people to self-antag by functionally assaulting people for no reason with the tram, then trashing whoever comes for them.

Maybe still not as bad as slipping/stunning people, taking their ID, and throwing it into the lower/maintenance area, though.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #604210

Pandarsenic wrote:
Cimika wrote: Repeatedly calling the tram back and forth, however, does not feel like an administrative issue and probably shouldn't be one. If someone is being a knobhead with the Tram control, handle it IC, unless aggravating circumstances.
Unless this is a "You are not allowed to defend yourself while you're griefing" sort of thing, this seems like a really easy way for people to self-antag by functionally assaulting people for no reason with the tram, then trashing whoever comes for them.

Maybe still not as bad as slipping/stunning people, taking their ID, and throwing it into the lower/maintenance area, though.
Yeah this is a complete recipe for kill-baiting. The tram will very easily kill people if its getting spammed back and forth non-stop, and people will want to stop you.
Hugs
Cimika

Post by Cimika » #604211

"You are not allowed to defend yourself while you're griefing" sounds like the right idea here. I mean, I don't see how we can reasonably blame players for just calling the tram, honestly. It's the same as spamming the firelock alarms. It makes you lynchable and you can't really fight back, at least that's how I see it.
Spoiler:

Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #604216

This is a fucking baby mode complaint. Just kill the guy calling it. You don't need daddy to solve every problem for you.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #604218

the only reason people vote tram is to play with tram console, if people walking into the rails die is considered a problem might as well just replace it with teleporting shuttles lol
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #604237

Is breaking the tram actually griefing and if yes why?
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #604242

There's a very easy solution to this. Don't walk across the platform until the Tram leaves or comes to a stop.

Stop babying people and nut up, mappers even made it possible to avoid the Tram completely via the lower level.
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #604246

technokek wrote:Is breaking the tram actually griefing and if yes why?
yes
the tram is the most convenient and the central way of moving through the map and you are breaking it for no reason other than to be an asshole to the rest of the crew
LoveMirror
Byond Username: LoveMirror

Post by LoveMirror » #604250

Similar to someone welding shut all the doors at roundstart and disabling ID access while they're at it. It's griefing and self-antagging behaviour which serves no purpose except "haha funny".
Image Image
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #604252

chocolate_bickie wrote: Stop babying people and nut up, mappers even made it possible to avoid the Tram completely via the lower level.
...You realize "mappers" is the OP of this thread, right?
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
technokek

Post by technokek » #604253

So you are saying. Me speedrunning "breaking tram any %" every time we get tram is against the rules?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #604255

technokek wrote:So you are saying. Me speedrunning "breaking tram any %" every time we get tram is against the rules?
you're why we can't have nice things
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
technokek

Post by technokek » #604261

MMMiracles wrote:
technokek wrote:So you are saying. Me speedrunning "breaking tram any %" every time we get tram is against the rules?
But tram is not a nice thing?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #604262

technokek wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:
i'm glad you're forefront about the fact your solution to handling things you don't personally enjoy is to ruin for others like a child
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #604263

technokek wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:
You seem to have misunderstood the usage of the phrase "we can't have nice things". Let me clarify it for you by quoting the Urban Dictionary definition:
Urban Dictionary wrote:This is why we can't have nice things
No matter how nice of a thing you have, no matter how hard you may try, someone will always find a way to fuck it up.
Josh: Hey bro can I borrow your phone?
Me: I dunno man, I just bought this. I don't even have a case on it yet!
Josh: Chill dude, I ain't gonna break it. It'll just take a second..
Me: Okay...
Josh:*Immediately drops it on the ground, denting the corner*
Me: God damn it Josh, this is why we can't have nice things.
In this case the nice thing to have would be the Tram, and the one finding the way to fuck it up would be you.

You're welcome.

Cimika

Post by Cimika » #604269

Of course it's against the rules for non antags to do.
Spoiler:

technokek

Post by technokek » #604275

MMMiracles wrote:
technokek wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:
i'm glad you're forefront about the fact your solution to handling things you don't personally enjoy is to ruin for others like a child
You're welcome.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #604286

walking across the tram is a life I like to live, I walk on train tracks to live on the dangerous side(also because it's faster, may wanna increase the speed of the tram?)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #604292

You should be happy someone dedicates his round to be the designated tram driver. And there is a simple solution to your problem : don't walk on the tracks.

It's common sense in real life at least.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #604355

LoveMirror wrote:
Similar to someone welding shut all the doors at roundstart and disabling ID access while they're at it. It's griefing and self-antagging behaviour which serves no purpose except "haha funny".
if tram is removed its actually an improvement for the whole crew as walking in the tracks is always faster than: waiting a tram, wait 5s for tram commands to unlock, use tram that moves the same speed as you walking
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #604356

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:
LoveMirror wrote:
if tram is removed its actually an improvement for the whole crew as walking in the tracks is always faster than: waiting a tram, wait 5s for tram commands to unlock, use tram that moves the same speed as you walking
are you saying the tram should be more lucrative? i'm not against that
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #604368

Armhulen wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:
LoveMirror wrote:
are you saying the tram should be more lucrative? i'm not against that
make trams the speed of 1.5 human running.
Living God

Extraordinary Person