Remove human authority

Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Remove human authority

Post by Riggle » #630397

What the title says. It could be interesting, who knows?

I was not held at gunpoint by a certain headmin to make this thread, I promise.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Remove human authority

Post by Mothblocks » #630398

Human authority is INTERESTING I get good rounds from clashing with the CMO that hops on afterwards.

I have more hours in moth CMO than most people do human CMO and it genuinely has created a huge amount of interesting stories 👎👎👎
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #630399

Maybe as a station trait this could be fun
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #630400

People like the extra gameplay effects of being nonhuman, myself included
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #630401

Station trait wouldn't work, I've gone into this in the past.

You don't want to promote random people to head of staff, so you have to let them opt in for it.

But letting them opt in for it means them having head of staff high, and if they're a nonhuman player, they already will not be doing that.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #630402

non-humans look weird with head of staff cloaks so i am against this
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #630403

Not a fan. To me part of playing a non-human is accepting that it's got a fundamental effect on how you play, and part of that is being unable to play as a head of staff. It's also good flavour for the universe to show how there are deep divides between humanity and the other species, which I think is nice.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #630405

Strife is the flavor of life.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #630407

I agree with eob
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #630408

First they came for our cocoa interaction, and now this ? Where will they stop with erasing everything that makes nonhumans different ?

no, and give us back cocoa cats it was funny
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #630409

I definitely agree that human authority is interesting and makes the story more interesting, yet I can't say that disabling it wouldn't be interesting on its own. A code change that makes it random could be a good one, but as Mothblocks said, it may be hard to implement such a system. I would mostly be in favour to disable it and see what happens, then go on from there.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #630415

san7890 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 pm Strife is the flavor of life.
This for sure
Also what EOB and others said

Removing this somewhat important distinction would homogenize and dilute things even further than currently. No need to make things too bland, having difficulty in the game is exactly why the game is fun.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #630417

I fear the problems that would arise from a nonhuman head of staff and an asimov AI. Before someone chimes in with "bro its emergent gameplay": I don't care, making an already stressed system have to deal with more wacky bullshit is a recipe for drastic failure.

As an aside, what benefits would this removal have? A lot of the time I see it brought up with "it could be interesting". Is there anything else aside from its novelty that removing human authority could bring?
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #630424

I've always been under the impression that it's caused so little strife for heads of staff roles it's basically irrelevant in that regard, it has more sway in crew to ai and non-head of staff - non-head of staff interaction.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #630425

mrmelbert wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:42 pm non-humans look weird with head of staff cloaks so i am against this
Incorrect.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #630426

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:45 pm I fear the problems that would arise from a nonhuman head of staff and an asimov AI. Before someone chimes in with "bro its emergent gameplay": I don't care, making an already stressed system have to deal with more wacky bullshit is a recipe for drastic failure.

As an aside, what benefits would this removal have? A lot of the time I see it brought up with "it could be interesting". Is there anything else aside from its novelty that removing human authority could bring?
Yeah but someone could already go "hey AI, kill (Non-Human Player Name)", and the AI can already go "Order received. Killing (Non-Human Player Name)" to get someone to tell it not to.

I don't think it'd be an issue, because if it's a non-antag, then they're hit for griefing and trying to kill people as a non-antag. If it's an antag, then they're very quickly discovered either by public comms or checking the PDA records on the server.

As for whether it should happen or not- eh I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #630428

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:54 am
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:45 pm I fear the problems that would arise from a nonhuman head of staff and an asimov AI. Before someone chimes in with "bro its emergent gameplay": I don't care, making an already stressed system have to deal with more wacky bullshit is a recipe for drastic failure.

Yeah but someone could already go "hey AI, kill (Non-Human Player Name)", and the AI can already go "Order received. Killing (Non-Human Player Name)" to get someone to tell it not to.

I don't think it'd be an issue, because if it's a non-antag, then they're hit for griefing and trying to kill people as a non-antag. If it's an antag, then they're very quickly discovered either by public comms or checking the PDA records on the server.

As for whether it should happen or not- eh I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
That's assuming the AI WANTS to try and get the order cancelled. They can just execute the order if they're okay with doing it.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #630434

I don't want to play on a server with nonhuman authority, if I did I would go to one of the many alternatives which offer that sort of experience.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #630437

SkeletalElite wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:07 am
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:54 am

That's assuming the AI WANTS to try and get the order cancelled. They can just execute the order if they're okay with doing it.
And if they did, they already could.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #630478

No human authority will not make me play head roles.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #630533

No way pal being inferior is why I like being nonhuman
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Post by Aeri » #630559

I'm 10,000% for this human authority is dumb
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #630784

I'd say go further and remove non-humans from sec roles.
Image Image
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #630819

Hurts established themes, makes the game softer. Makes species less interesting. Crewsimov as default comes next.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #631391

We will not be removing human authority.

Removing Human Authority makes non-humans less interesting and more like humans. This conflicts with the intended design of non-humans on our server. Additionally, as has been demonstrated here, there is overwhelming preference for the way things are currently. Other communities have human authority disabled and we encourage players to try those servers to see if the reality of it is something that they would enjoy.

Headmin Votes:
RaveRadbury: Agree
Dragomagol: Agree
NamelessFairy: Agree - Pushing this thread to creation was part my doing. I think discussions on topics like this are important for our community to have every now and again to see where the community opinion is. While I personally would rather see the removal of human authority and I don't fully agree with the above statement. The community , at least as shown by this thread, seem to disagree with this, thus I won't attempt to push my changes through.