How much is too much?

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

How much is too much?

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #74939

Specifically, powergaming and escalation.

At what point does 'preparedness' turn to 'powergame'? Is making a spearkit for yourself at roundstart, every round as an assistant just 'being prepared', and expected of people? Or is it just powergaming to be ready for your validkill?

When does escalation stop applying? A punch to a critting? A punch to a ten minute brig time? A punch to a permabrig? A punch to a murder? What about theft? What about being slipped and cabletied by a hilarious clown? is it 'escalation' to send them to the cloning bay?

Discuss.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Re: How much is too much?

Post by AdenAbrafo » #74946

I believe each situation warrants a different approach when considering how much is too much and because of this attempting to set up a policy against it would be mostly futile.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #74947

The answer is "whenever the admins online at the moment want it to be"

Making a line lets people toe it, the admins have specifically never made one because of that.
lol
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #74948

But then you encounter situations where admins make inconsistent calls for similar situations - see ban request about a mime who critted someone and destroyed all their gear for bucklecuffing them being declared valid.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #74949

It's always been like that. This thread happens a lot and never does anything because people will always do just under whatever is unacceptable to avoid a bannu.

It basically comes down to knowing which admins are awful and which aren't. The line is different for each of them.

In that specific case I don't really think stripping someone and throwing them out of your department if they're trespassing makes you valid. (though stripping them of EVERYTHING is a bit dickish.)
lol
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #74962

Wait, they broke into his department?

That's always made you valid for anything short of murder, though?
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #74998

Regarding escalation, the only answer I can think of is "Use common sense you dummy."

Your bar fight shouldn't result in you stun prodding your opponent, stripping them, and spacing them because "he pulled a broken bottle on me muh escalation"

On the other hand, if the clown has been following you around ALL FUCKING SHIFT honking and slipping you, feel free to snap and show him how funny the inside of his skull looks. Just don't gib/space/cremate him because that would be being a dick.

Escalation should really be a common sense thing people. Just be ready to suffer the IC consequences for your actions.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #75160

muh valids
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #75172

That reminds me, the term "valid" as we know it shouldn't even be a thing. If it was up to me, nobody would be "valid" and all combat would require IC escalation or reasoning, even robusting antagonists.

For example, theres no fucking IC reason you would murder the wizard when he is straight jacketed, shackled, cuffed, gagged, has blindfolds and ear muffs on, and being dragged to the shuttle brig buckled to a rolling bed surrounded by a horde of security officers. But lo and behold people will see their delicious valids and fight tooth and nail to murder said wizard, and the rules just let them get away with it.

Powergaming is just a symptom of validhunting and nothing more. People know the rules about how they can kill certain people and get away with it scott free, so they use that OOC knowledge to do everything in their power to hunt said people down and kill them.

Obviously I still think antags should be able to initiate combat and murder people FNR. But otherwise it makes no sense to kill someone because you saw them spawn a balloon.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #75195

Loonikus wrote:For example, theres no fucking IC reason you would murder the wizard when he is straight jacketed, shackled, cuffed, gagged, has blindfolds and ear muffs on, and being dragged to the shuttle brig buckled to a rolling bed surrounded by a horde of security officers. But lo and behold people will see their delicious valids and fight tooth and nail to murder said wizard, and the rules just let them get away with it.
If that was ahelped by sec, I'd likely administer a ban.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #75413

Aurx wrote:
Loonikus wrote:For example, theres no fucking IC reason you would murder the wizard when he is straight jacketed, shackled, cuffed, gagged, has blindfolds and ear muffs on, and being dragged to the shuttle brig buckled to a rolling bed surrounded by a horde of security officers. But lo and behold people will see their delicious valids and fight tooth and nail to murder said wizard, and the rules just let them get away with it.
If that was ahelped by sec, I'd likely administer a ban.
I dont think it would be good to ban for that before the conditions for being valid are established.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #75424

I think our problem is that we think of people being valid instead of actions being valid. So long as this mindset exists, people will seek out and kill other people for no other reason than "because I can."

I know its wishful thinking, but I think the ideal rules would be concerned with why you killed someone, and not with arbitrary limits set in OOC stone.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #75426

Loonikus wrote:I think our problem is that we think of people being valid instead of actions being valid. So long as this mindset exists, people will seek out and kill other people for no other reason than "because I can."
Amen, brother.

"Valid" is shorthand for "can I skip all the stuff in the rules about sensible IC escalation and just kill someone as efficiently as possible?"
Remove the AI.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #75427

Spessmen should not expect hostiles, so they should not be building weapons at roundstart (or doing things that remove power from the AI). When shit does go down, powergame all you want.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #75462

Scott wrote:Spessmen should not expect hostiles, so they should not be building weapons at roundstart (or doing things that remove power from the AI). When shit does go down, powergame all you want.
They should expect hostiles, this is why we have a blue alert and a message from centcomm detailing all the hostiles we might see.

I think it's possible to appropriately roleplay killing a totally subdued and defenceless wizard, so it shouldn't be banned outright, but it should require, well, some roleplay and explanation for your actions.