Ghosts having the freedom to do whatever as antags under rule 4

Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Ghosts having the freedom to do whatever as antags under rule 4

Post by Domitius » #644016

Currently we have no precedent and no true conversations(That I've found) surrounding ghosts doing antagonistic actions. I would like ghosts to be labeled as an "antag" so that any hijinx they get up to is protected under rule 4.

I would like to make a note that no admins to my knowledge have ever taken actions against ghosts that cause trouble but I would like to make it crystal clear going forward that they are free to do so.

Examples of actions that ghosts can do that would be protected off the top of my head are as follows:
-Ghost controlled harmful objects
-Ouija boards
-"Ghost courts" during wiz events
-Ghosts with C4 attached to them during said events going where ever they like

This is a very minor change with the intent to provide clarity on how admins and the community treats ghosts in respect to rule 4.

Implementation
I believe simply adding this to the headmin rulings page is the right course as this subject is intuitive enough that it doesn't warrant any addendums on the main rules page.
► Show Spoiler
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Re: Ghosts having the freedom to do whatever as antags under rule 4

Post by TheFinalPotato » #644023

I like the idea of setting the precedent that players are not inherently station aligned. Also ghost memes are funny should do this.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #644024

does this mean that ghosts can no longer talk about OOC subjects in deadchat since they are officially a role in the game
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #644025

Sounds good to me
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #644028

Would this have any impact on things like possession? I remember ages ago seeing some guy get banned/noted for taking a summon events possession mob (specifically, a monkey) and killing with it
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Domitius

Post by Domitius » #644033

Kel wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:47 pm does this mean that ghosts can no longer talk about OOC subjects in deadchat since they are officially a role in the game
I simply desire for ghosts to be protected under rule 4 to be malicious/non station aligned without any fear of retaliation. No changes will happen outside of that. To answer your question ghosts can continue to talk about OOC subjects in deadchat.
NoxVS wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:13 pm Would this have any impact on things like possession? I remember ages ago seeing some guy get banned/noted for taking a summon events possession mob (specifically, a monkey) and killing with it
This would have no impact on possession.

The second a ghost accepts any sort of event role, such as possession, they are no longer ghosts and are subjected to the regular rules.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #644037

Just curious, but is there a single ticket where someone has gotten bwoinked over doing anything as a ghost?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #644038

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:06 pm Just curious, but is there a single ticket where someone has gotten bwoinked over doing anything as a ghost?
No but someones definitely gotten banned for trusting ghost court and murdering someone because they were all orbiting a random person lol
► Show Spoiler
Domitius

Post by Domitius » #644040

Shadowflame909 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:16 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:06 pm Just curious, but is there a single ticket where someone has gotten bwoinked over doing anything as a ghost?
No but someones definitely gotten banned for trusting ghost court and murdering someone because they were all orbiting a random person lol
Mostly this as well as other niche ghost interactions.

I totally understand that this is pretty much a non-issue and purely just paperwork. However I would still appreciate it being listed under headmin rulings that "Ghosts are protected under rule 4 to do whatever". We've been letting ghosts do whatever since forever so to be honest nothing really needs to change but it would be a nice safety net before potentially extremely messy problems arise.

There has not been a single ticket to my knowledge about doing anything as antagonistic/malicious as a ghost.
Kel

Post by Kel » #644050

Domitius wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:30 pm
Kel wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:47 pm does this mean that ghosts can no longer talk about OOC subjects in deadchat since they are officially a role in the game
I simply desire for ghosts to be protected under rule 4 to be malicious/non station aligned without any fear of retaliation. No changes will happen outside of that. To answer your question ghosts can continue to talk about OOC subjects in deadchat.
well then whatever rule/policy/unspoken understanding that allows ghosts to be an OOC entity should follow the same logic of people speaking in OOC chat should not be listened to. like how you don't listen to people say "OOC: ;HALP AI ABSORBING ME MAINT"
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #644051

Fine kel we can just say something along the lines of: “ghosts are free to cause whatever mischief they can” or something r u happy
Domitius

Post by Domitius » #644063

Kel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:55 am
Domitius wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:30 pm
well then whatever rule/policy/unspoken understanding that allows ghosts to be an OOC entity should follow the same logic of people speaking in OOC chat should not be listened to. like how you don't listen to people say "OOC: ;HALP AI ABSORBING ME MAINT"
What? Deadchat isn't being discussed here and will not be impacted in the slightest.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #644074

Domitius wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:27 am What? Deadchat isn't being discussed here and will not be impacted in the slightest.
Cult. Scrying orb.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #644075

we should probably just remove ghost interactions instead
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #644076

As a side note, I don't actually think it's worth protecting this unless there are currently or have been incidents where ghosts have gotten bwoinked for using their ghostly powers. Because I think it can be helpful to NOT establish ghosts as antags-by-default. A poorly worded ruling may also confuse people into thinking all ghost roles are antags, or alternatively that dying and being revived makes you an antag (because you came from a ghost), etc.

We also have a config setting we can flick that lets ghosts interact with things. I think it lets them rotate chairs and flicker lightbulbs and stuff?

I think it was disabled in the past because ghosts interacting in the shift basically just ended up with people using them to validhunt? Our old historians would know better.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #644077

ya every time we added a ghost interaction players started using it to ouija board "who da antag today" and they got good answers more often than bad ones

plus we added the ultimate ouija board "who da antag today" with visible ghosts during wizard completely fucking over any attempts to be stealthy or any other antags so
Kel

Post by Kel » #644079

wesoda25 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:20 am Fine kel we can just say something along the lines of: “ghosts are free to cause whatever mischief they can” or something r u happy
i am of the opinion that frivolous rules are more damaging than good, so i'd rather just leave it to common sense.
Domitius wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:27 am What? Deadchat isn't being discussed here and will not be impacted in the slightest.
besides the already mentioned ways to access deadchat as a living entity (revenants too btw), i meant more so that ghosts themselves are already understood to be an extension of an OOC system. pointing and whatnot shows as purple deadchat text as much as just talking does. you could theoretically act upon someones icky ocky at your own peril, same with anything related to ghosts. of course it's not really a perfect comparison, but i refer to falling back to common sense when dealing with these situations.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:32 am I think it was disabled in the past because ghosts interacting in the shift basically just ended up with people using them to validhunt? Our old historians would know better.
it was mostly the chairs. a bunch of chairs spinning/shifting to point directly at someone = murderboner. a solitary chair next to you spinning and then directing towards a specific direction = someone trying to point you towards their dead body (usually). light flickers were a great way for someone to say "fuck off ghost" because all it did was annoy people.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #644080

the chair thing doesn't even work anymore other than the verb
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #644084

Certain events may allow you to influence the round even when dead. While dead, you are exempt from rule 1. This exemption ends if you take a ghost role, are revived, or otherwise enter the round as a non-observer.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #644093

zxaber wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:30 am
Certain events may allow you to influence the round even when dead. While dead, you are exempt from rule 1. This exemption ends if you take a ghost role, are revived, or otherwise enter the round as a non-observer.
Rule 1 is an OCC focused rule. This chance would imply ghosts are allowed to be massive dickheads to each other in deadchat.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #644130

whatever the outcome of this is doesnt actually need to go in the rules, and can just stick in headmin rulings
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #644140

TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:47 pm ... ghost memes are funny...
All the justification we need for this.
Hugs
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #644194

Ghosts giving bad advice on purpose is the real good shit. Nothing is as funny as watching a bunch of ghosts pointing furiously trying to get someone to disposal a pAI.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #644459

Ghosts can do whatever but if you kill someone just because you see a ghost orbiting them then 21 kid brother voice you stupid

Players are responsible for their actions