Reduce the amount of cyborg hours required to play AI

BurgerBB
Byond Username: BurgerBB

Reduce the amount of cyborg hours required to play AI

Post by BurgerBB » #654547

Currently, the amount of cyborg hours required to play AI is 15 hours. I think this is a bit too much considering what the role of cyborg is and how little it actually differs from AI in terms of consequences.

Both AI and Cyborgs require an understanding of silicon policy to play. Both roles can seriously mess up a round or at minimum another player's round if silicon policy isn't follow properly. Both roles can plasma flood, murderbone, shock doors, refuse to follow valid orders, grief, maim, kill, spam, etc.

The only difference between AI and Borg, in my opinion, are these five points:
- There is (usually) only 1 AI slot.
- It is easier for the AI to validhunt and/or shut down antags.
- The AI can order borgs around, who are linked, so It is possible for the AI to give a bad order that gets followed.
- The AI can intentionally fuck shit up easier. (Simplistically, AI are basically invisible players can move through walls with the ability to teleport to any player that is near a camera.)
- The AI can intentionally fuck shit up safer (AI are in their sat, protected by turrets.)

I'm not asking for the timegate to be removed completely, I'm just asking the policy team to reconsider if that length of time is too long.
Last edited by BurgerBB on Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Re: Reduce the amount of cyborg hours required to play AI

Post by EmpressMaia » #654568

I think we'd be okay lowering AI to 10 hours and having a small popup when it's your first time as ai saying " please understand the importance of your role. You drive the round forward and have alot of power in the story of the shift" or something like that
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #654612

Cyborgs are generally slaved to the ai's interpretations of the laws, playing as cyborg gives you experience in this field of interpreting laws.

15 hours is 12 to 20 rounds, which is how many a cyborg main who also gets borgged round start when they don't roll cyborg would have to play if they only played on the weekend, before they would unlock the 30 day account age requirement for round start AI. (remember, time locked jobs have two requirements, time played as some other subset of jobs in hours, and account age in days.)

The other factor is how easy it is for the crew to deal with a rule breaking cyborg when admins aren't on, vs a rule breaking ai.

You can attack the borg while they are doing shit, and most mass griefing strats require it be in public hallways for some part of it, if it has a good faith ai, the ai can track it anywhere it goes and talk on command and security radio. None of those apply to ais in the ai sat era of station maps (bring back core in upload which is itself accessible from a public hallway).

10 hours wouldn't be unreasonable thou, especially given the account age requirement. Headmins know about this thread so we'll see what they think.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #654637

A shit AI is an absolute pain for the round. A shit borg with an OK / no AI is a minor pest
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #654641

I have by far the most AI hours out of anyone, reducing the hours required to be an AI is a horrible idea. Being a cyborg is very different from being an AI. For the normal person, the cyborg hours are used to better understand how both silicon policy and laws work. Unfortunately, many of our players are idiots, so they will barely be able to grasp asimov in these hours.

I'd argue that increasing hours would be nice due to certain troglodytes ruining it for everyone, buuut that'd be too mean for people that actually want to use the role properly.
MrStonedOne wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:14 pm
You can attack the borg while they are doing shit, and most mass griefing strats require it be in public hallways for some part of it, if it has a good faith ai, the ai can track it anywhere it goes and talk on command and security radio.
I think we need to take a look back at the removal of the detonate borg button for AI's, having to request admins intervene whenever some shit head gets bored is a pain in the ass.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #654645

If anything, I wish that in addition to increased hours, we made having 20 hours as a station engineer, or an engiborg chassis specifically, a requirement. There are way too many AI players who do not know how to set up a roundstart sm without outside assistance (If you have to ask for someone to come into engi to wrench an n2 canister for you, this means you!). Right now too many people want to be AI, but then become glorified door openers because they don't have sufficient mechanical knowledge, and then they get bored of AI and stop playing it because they don't know how to actually manipulate things on the station.
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #654654

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:54 am If anything, I wish that in addition to increased hours, we made having 20 hours as a station engineer, or an engiborg chassis specifically, a requirement. There are way too many AI players who do not know how to set up a roundstart sm without outside assistance (If you have to ask for someone to come into engi to wrench an n2 canister for you, this means you!). Right now too many people want to be AI, but then become glorified door openers because they don't have sufficient mechanical knowledge, and then they get bored of AI and stop playing it because they don't know how to actually manipulate things on the station.
I mean, its not the AI's job to setup SM. Although, AI kinda needs to know how to plasmaflood/sabo SM/etc a little cause antags and laws and stuff.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #654689

Redrover1760 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:29 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:54 am If anything, I wish that in addition to increased hours, we made having 20 hours as a station engineer, or an engiborg chassis specifically, a requirement. There are way too many AI players who do not know how to set up a roundstart sm without outside assistance (If you have to ask for someone to come into engi to wrench an n2 canister for you, this means you!). Right now too many people want to be AI, but then become glorified door openers because they don't have sufficient mechanical knowledge, and then they get bored of AI and stop playing it because they don't know how to actually manipulate things on the station.
I mean, its not the AI's job to setup SM. Although, AI kinda needs to know how to plasmaflood/sabo SM/etc a little cause antags and laws and stuff.
The main point was the severe lack of mechanical knowledge among new AIs is a huge issue for AI player retention, not the SM specifically. How many times have you heard people complain that AI is a door opener role, and therefore boring?
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #654696

MrStonedOne wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:14 pm (...) which is how many a cyborg main who also gets borgged round start when they don't roll cyborg would have to play (...)
Does time spent after being borged even count towards borg playtime? I recall it being generally accepted as fact that play time as an assistant-turned-borg will just count the whole round as assistant.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #654698

I refactored it back in https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/58186/files

The playtime tracking system requests that info at the `/mob/living` level. Player controlling silicon and AI mobs will have their playtime accordingly adjusted for those roles as a result. So you can build up sillycone hours by being borged.

If this doesn't happen on live, issue report it.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #654719

Redrover1760 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:29 pm
While I agree it is not the AI's job to do so, the SM is one of those things that the AI is in a very good position to keep watch on and intervene quickly if things go wrong. I don't know if we should require AIs to know that, but it is definitely something the AI should know, along with basic atmos manipulation. I've played many a mid/low-pop AI round where I was the entire engineering department all by myself.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #654727

Law 1 says it is the ais job to setup the sm if no meatbags are able to.

Given its the only power source the ai CAN setup on most maps, and a lack of power leads to a lack of heat and a lack of air/co2 filtration.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #654730

MrStonedOne wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:02 am Law 1 says it is the ais job to setup the sm if no meatbags are able to.

Given its the only power source the ai CAN setup on most maps, and a lack of power leads to a lack of heat and a lack of air/co2 filtration.
After recent power balance changes, the supermatter is probably the only long-term power source that can feed the entire station. It's a good thing they removed plasma radiation collectors (which required human input), and you can use atmospherics built in Mix to Supermatter Input line to feed in the required coolant (Nitrogen) if you don't have a borg to wrench in cans. I think there's also a Law Three element to it as well, because who's going to hear your depowered screams when your battery runs dry and you eventually lose processing power as any reserves go through the floor?

It requires the AI to have knowledge of the supermatter (or at least, atmospherics)- but I learned from the same guide that's on the wiki to this day (which has seen improvements over time). Regardless, if it's your first time setting up the supermatter, may as well shake all the mistakes you could possibly make out on the first few tries.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #654761

MrStonedOne wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:02 am Law 1 says it is the ais job to setup the sm if no meatbags are able to.

If this is how we interpret that then maybe engineering hours for AI does make sense.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #654763

I think? The ai can setup the incinerator if need be. Which can MAYBE keep the station powered for like 30 minutes
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #654767

Ehhhhhh, at-risk humans can call a shuttle out long before air quality becomes a harmful problem, and the station doesn't actually radiate heat into space, if there's no other compounding issue (breaches, etc.).
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #654794

EmpressMaia wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:47 pm

I think? The ai can setup the incinerator if need be. Which can MAYBE keep the station powered for like 30 minutes
I know that on metastation at least, there are no cameras at turbine. I don't recall for the other maps though.

That being said, finding someone who can do turbine is even more rare than the sm!
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #655843

An AI is quite an important job on the station, and while new code-side changes to the job config could potentially allow for a less-strict playtime- we do not deem it necessary to lower the restriction at this time.

The account age restriction will at least allow the player enough time (if playing a session at least once a week) to get acclimated to what a silicon might be expected to do, and then the actual job-hours threshold will allow them to understand how to fulfill these expectations.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.