Make acting captain an antag protected role

blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Make acting captain an antag protected role

Post by blackdav123 » #676620

Acting captain has complete authority over the station, and yet they can roll antags!

On lowpop the acting captain is often the only person able to function as both captain and security. This creates rounds where the only person assigned to stopping traitors from murdering the station is the syndicate captain.

Antags are not balanced around having AA and access to everything on station uncontested. Acting captains commonly are able to speedrun through traitor objectives without any resistance because they're the only person with access to most of the things they need.

If a traitor really wants the funny yellow ID they should have to deal with another person to get it. Whether it is killing the acting captain or making deals, forcing conflict for the magic gold ID should be a requirement rather than one player getting lucky enough to enforce syndicate rule over the station.

I dont want this to be a debate on whether or not acting captains currently have the same metaprotections as a normal captain would, because ideally you should be able to trust them like you would any normal captain even if that currently isnt the case.

Seeing someone wearing the gold captain's ID with their name on it should signal that all is well, and seeing someone with a stolen captain's ID should be suspicious.

My proposal is to make acting captain an antag protected roll like the normal captain and security would be.
Weston Echard on Sybil
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Re: Make acting captain an antag protected role

Post by vect0r » #676639

How would you do that? Antags are rolled before rolese, so you would have to do some extra checks.
Also, I don’t really like this Change.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #676648

vect0r wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:17 pm How would you do that? Antags are rolled before rolese, so you would have to do some extra checks.
The person playing the head of staff would either keep their job and acting captain would be given to another head (if available) or they would be forced onto other jobs (like if someone with only captain selected would roll antag).

No acting captain is better than a traitor acting captain imo.
Weston Echard on Sybil
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #676651

blackdav123 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:34 pm
vect0r wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:17 pm How would you do that? Antags are rolled before rolese, so you would have to do some extra checks.
The person playing the head of staff would either keep their job and acting captain would be given to another head (if available) or they would be forced onto other jobs (like if someone with only captain selected would roll antag).

No acting captain is better than a traitor acting captain imo.
I mean, if it was given to a different head, that would be easy as fuck to metagame. @oranges, any idea how feasible it would be to check if somebody would be an acting captain, and if so, swap jobs?
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #676658

vect0r wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:38 pm I mean, if it was given to a different head, that would be easy as fuck to metagame. @oranges, any idea how feasible it would be to check if somebody would be an acting captain, and if so, swap jobs?
I'm 99% sure acting captain is already assigned randomly. Seeing that the CE got it this shift instead of the CMO makes zero difference so metagaming it wouldnt matter in the slightest.
Weston Echard on Sybil
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #676666

blackdav123 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:55 pm
vect0r wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:38 pm I mean, if it was given to a different head, that would be easy as fuck to metagame. @oranges, any idea how feasible it would be to check if somebody would be an acting captain, and if so, swap jobs?
I'm 99% sure acting captain is already assigned randomly. Seeing that the CE got it this shift instead of the CMO makes zero difference so metagaming it wouldnt matter in the slightest.
That is not correct: here is the COC
The order of succession goes as follows:
1.Head of Personal

2. Research Director

3.Chief Engineer

4.Chief Medical Officer

5.Head of Security

6.Quartermaster
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #676947

Why is this in policy discussion? This is a code issue. Even if all 3 headmins posted in here and said "yeah this is illegal now", it wouldn't change anything.

And that's besides the fact that it's a bad change in the first place.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #676950

Acting captain traitors are cool. Underlings should have to wonder if their leadership has been subverted.
► Show Spoiler
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #676992

Yeah this is unfortunately tethered to non-existent code. There isn't really a point in considering it until that's a reality.
Hugs