Are randomly generated names from the server's config still liable for naming policy admin punishment?

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Are randomly generated names from the server's config still liable for naming policy admin punishment?

Post by iamgoofball » #684683

The other day I random'd Jack Black as a name pressing the random name button in prefs, but then admins made me change it after a few rounds citing naming policy because Jack Black is a famous singer. I was not RPing as the famous singer, and I got the name from the server's configuration for random possible human names.

Should we treat randomnames as potentially policy violating, and should the server take steps to remove violating names from the random names list?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Are randomly generated names from the server's config still liable for naming policy admin punishment?

Post by Cobby » #684705

there should be a namecheck tool to see if you legitimately rolled the name, so it will be easy to differentiate someone who made jack black vs an innocent "lucky" roll on the random name gen. I imagine the chances of rolling a celebrity name are pretty slim so I can understand if some admins are thinking (you) just are saying that because (you) know the config file has both names.

Even then though if the person is randomnaming then it shouldnt be a problem to just reroll the random name again to something the admin(s) in question r cool with, although generally speaking common first/last names being restricted because an American celebrity shares it is a bit of a "well ok" eyeroll moment so long as youre not placing the celebrity in the setting either via personality, gimmicky stuff, or even character lookalikes.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Re: Are randomly generated names from the server's config still liable for naming policy admin punishment?

Post by Striders13 » #684746

just change it if admin asks you, your world is not gonna explode
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #684751

Cobby wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:18 am there should be a namecheck tool to see if you legitimately rolled the name, so it will be easy to differentiate someone who made jack black vs an innocent "lucky" roll on the random name gen. I imagine the chances of rolling a celebrity name are pretty slim so I can understand if some admins are thinking (you) just are saying that because (you) know the config file has both names.

Even then though if the person is randomnaming then it shouldnt be a problem to just reroll the random name again to something the admin(s) in question r cool with, although generally speaking common first/last names being restricted because an American celebrity shares it is a bit of a "well ok" eyeroll moment so long as youre not placing the celebrity in the setting either via personality, gimmicky stuff, or even character lookalikes.
Currently, admins can vet if something was truly randomnamed via href logs, but i agree we could add something for that
Last edited by iamgoofball on Wed May 10, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #684832

iamgoofball wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:08 am
Cobby wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:18 am there should be a namecheck tool to see if you legitimately rolled the name, so it will be easy to differentiate someone who made jack black vs an innocent "lucky" roll on the random name gen. I imagine the chances of rolling a celebrity name are pretty slim so I can understand if some admins are thinking (you) just are saying that because (you) know the config file has both names.

Currently, admins can vet if something was truly randomnamed via href logs, but i agree we could add something for that
nopony is looking at that for a name vs just telling u to change it haha
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #684858

Logically, someone should probably sit down and go through the random names and prune them for possible combinations like that, but I don't really think anyone's going to do that. It's not that big of a deal for someone to go in and change a name if it somehow rolls someone famous.

E: Also if you random a famous person's name, actively know who that person is, and keep it for multiple rounds, that's on you.
Last edited by Vekter on Wed May 10, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #684864

Regardless of whether it’s deemed that this name is fine or not, having randomnamed it or manually typed it in is completely irrelevant and should have no bearing on whether the name is accepted. It should either always be acceptable or never be acceptable, none of this “it’s only acceptable if you randomly generate names until you get it”
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #684874

Random generated stuff tends to be dumb and occasionally causes issues. There's numerous examples where rude strings have been generated by pure chance (the original Elite game from the 80s had an entire galaxy censored because RNG produced 'arse' as a planet name), you should probably not consider a random generated name as sacred, as the only resolution is a final 'check list' of known names, which needs to change over time to adapt to whatever culture is currently bumping, or worse remove anything possibly conflicting from first / last name lists. Neither of these solutions is really great and requires maintenance over time.

As already said, just change it and move on, no big deal.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #684879

I think that while nobody should ever get in trouble for a randomly generated name, it's not unfair for an admin to ask you to pick a new one if you roll some very famous person by chance.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #684885

This is entirely a code issue.
The admins should be right in enforcing the rules against names generated by the code that happen to suck, but they also shouldn't have to. The random name code shouldn't be rolling names that are against the rules.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #684906

datorangebottle wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:49 pm This is entirely a code issue.
The admins should be right in enforcing the rules against names generated by the code that happen to suck, but they also shouldn't have to. The random name code shouldn't be rolling names that are against the rules.
No, it's a server and policy issue, name txts are server config.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #684912

iamgoofball wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:43 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:49 pm This is entirely a code issue.
No, it's a server and policy issue, name txts are server config.
The names 'jack' and 'black' aren't rule breaking on their own. You can be Jack Richards or Lexia Black. The names are believable and IC on their own. It's not an issue with having them in the config, but an issue with being allowed to generate them together- it becomes a problem when the generator throws together 'Jack Black', 'Keith Richards', 'Rebecca Black', as a few examples. This is why I believe it's a code issue; code could be added or modified to allow for a config that's a list of names the generator isn't allowed to make, imposing less of a limit on the number of names that exist.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #684918

if you get it as a random name, i think its fine to play a round as them once, its funny. but if you use the fact you random rolled a famous persons name once to ignore naming policy for multiple rounds then thats where the fun ends
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #684928

Striders13 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:02 am just change it if admin asks you, your world is not gonna explode
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here.
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #685086

NoxVS wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:59 pm Regardless of whether it’s deemed that this name is fine or not, having randomnamed it or manually typed it in is completely irrelevant and should have no bearing on whether the name is accepted. It should either always be acceptable or never be acceptable, none of this “it’s only acceptable if you randomly generate names until you get it”
Completely deranged view. “It doesn’t matter whether it was an automatic system, rule violation is a rule violation, bwoinked + noted + L”

I like Fikou’s take best. If it’s automatically generated just let it slide, if it happens more than once then maybe bwoink and note.
Spoiler:
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #685103

Seems pretty simple, if you get in randomly then your not exactly doing anything wrong but theres also nothing wrong with an admin asking you to not continue to use it in the future. Its easy enough to verify if a player got the name as a random one off or if they spammed the random button on a hunt for it/got it randomly once then kept it.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #687125

This is incredibly case by case based. If someone for example gets a big media/famous name and actually has no clue who that person is, and clearly aren't doing a caricature of them it could very easily slip by for a while. Surely. But someone that can attach it to something might crack down on it eventually.

If someone is random naming to begin with, is there any real harm in having another random name? We think not.

Regardless of whether people label things as punishment or recordkeeping, we trust that admins will act on these instances with the best of intentions.
Hugs