Let’s stop claiming to be an 18+ community

The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Let’s stop claiming to be an 18+ community

Post by The Wrench » #691128

In the cursed male nipple thread good points were made
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:07 am
Cobby wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:20 pm We aren’t an 18+ community we don’t actually vet in any way for minors
Neither does literally anywhere else on the internet, to be fair.

Should we really be basing all of our decisions around people who are breaking the rules? Otherwise, what's the point of the rule?
Why should we claim to be an 18+ community? We don’t vet and we don’t enforce rules like we are an 18+ community. We should just be honest with ourselves and go full Goonstation.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Re: Let’s stop claiming to be an 18+ community

Post by Mice World » #691137

It keeps getting worse!?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #691139

I think it's worth it to continue using the rule for now as it does do what it says on the tin. I guess if we really want to get technical we can change it to "You must act in a mature manner to play here" but that gets way, way too subjective. I don't think we should remove the rule.

E: I do agree with MSO (I know right?) that it's a good idea to not go hard-line on the rule, but my point is that it mostly serves as a decent filter to keep fairly young people out of the community. Personally, I could go the rest of my time online without knowingly interacting with a minor, so I think it's a great idea and should stay.
► Show Spoiler
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #691150

No fuck that. I do not want to have to stifle the things I say and do because the rule is adjusted to allow 15 year olds that “act mature,” so now I have to treat the game as if it’s PG-13.

If someone decides not to follow the rules and play underaged, that’s on them, but as soon as the rule is removed the responsibility to worry about the children is on everyone else. No thanks.
Spoiler:
Mice World

Post by Mice World » #691155

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:08 am No fuck that. I do not want to have to stifle the things I say and do because the rule is adjusted to allow 15 year olds that “act mature,”
If MSO's post from 2018 is still accurate then this is how things, to a degree, already are. Not saying it should be but even if this restriction was removed I doubt you'd need to change much, as we already have rule 8 and I can't really think of anything else that is "sensitive" to minors.
It keeps getting worse!?
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #691158

if we dont allow kids we're like 10x less likely to have to deal with groomers

minors shouldnt be public about their personal lives on random corners of the internet

its the same as how we deal with evaders. if you dont get caught then there never was a problem to begin with.
Weston Echard on Sybil
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #691159

Mice World wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:48 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:08 am No fuck that. I do not want to have to stifle the things I say and do because the rule is adjusted to allow 15 year olds that “act mature,”
Not saying it should be but even if this restriction was removed I doubt you'd need to change much, as we already have rule 8 and I can't really think of anything else that is "sensitive" to minors.
Innuendo and sex jokes
Spoiler:
Mice World

Post by Mice World » #691161

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:03 am Innuendo and sex jokes
Are fairly common in most media and aren't inherently harmful (If they understand the joke then it doesn't matter). I'd assume that if minor is playing ss13 they have unrestricted internet access and at that point there's nothing you can do to protect them.

I don't believe the "think of the kids" outlook is needed. They shouldn't be playing ss13 anyway because a fair amount of minors are quite annoying and that doesn't work well in an online roleplaying game.
It keeps getting worse!?
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #691163

Mice World wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:23 am
Are fairly common in most media and aren't inherently harmful (If they understand the joke then it doesn't matter). I'd assume that if minor is playing ss13 they have unrestricted internet access and at that point there's nothing you can do to protect them.

I don't believe the "think of the kids" outlook is needed. They shouldn't be playing ss13 anyway because a fair amount of minors are quite annoying and that doesn't work well in an online roleplaying game.
To be fair, there are admins who will bwoink you for harmless, low-tier innuendo already. Without the 18+ rule, that would probably skyrocket.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #691172

I think inviting a bunch of kids and teenagers onto the servers is a great way to reduce fun for both players and admins alike.
► Show Spoiler
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #691177

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:35 am
Mice World wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:23 am

To be fair, there are admins who will bwoink you for harmless, low-tier innuendo already. Without the 18+ rule, that would probably skyrocket.
Yeah this was why I brought it up. Flirting and sex jokes among consenting adults is fine, but if a kid’s in the mix shit starts to get real weird real fast.

I also think kids shouldn’t be playing SS13 anyway. Finish highschool and go to prom. Socialize with people. Your brain is literally still developing and carving out the social intelligence you’ll be operating on for the rest of your life. God forbid you’re socialized by TG.
Spoiler:
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #691184

This would not be beneficial to the community in any way shape or form.
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #691197

Cringe
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #691216

Nope.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #691332

Honestly...

No thanks.
Hugs
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #691376

I get the agenda behind this policy thread. Ultimately the headmins closing the thread without any real reponse is pretty much admitting that we're 18+ in name only. But that really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Do we have some Vincent Adultmans kicking around the community? You bet.

But I think we expect that everyone is either an adult, or if they're not to instead act mature enough to pass for one.

And the reality of SS13 is that if what we went through an independent review board for age classification we've got:
Drug references
Alcohol references
Various types of violence
Blood and gore
Mature humour
... You get the idea.

There's no way we'd land at anything other than 18+.

And within the community we're the same. We don't hold our punches when talking to eachother for fear that someone reading in could be under 18.

It's a label. A loosely enforced label. A label for people from the "outside" to give them an idea of the kind of themes and topics the game and our community involves.

And very rarely is it anything more than that.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin