Make a maximum length for ban appeals

WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Make a maximum length for ban appeals

Post by WineAllWine » #693817

The original post of a ban appeal doesn't need to be very long. It certainly doesn't need to be in the thousands of words.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Re: Make a maximum length for ban appeals

Post by sinfulbliss » #693825

Admins regularly respond with just as much if not more, even for short ban appeals. If you wanna make a length requirement apply it to y’all’s responses too.
Spoiler:
PengisBungholius
Byond Username: PengisBungholius

Post by PengisBungholius » #693826

WineAllWine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:01 am The original post of a ban appeal doesn't need to be very long. It certainly doesn't need to be in the thousands of words.
Since this has been kicked off by
viewtopic.php?p=693747#p693747
would you suggest that players logdump in a reply to their appeal's first post?
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #693828

WineAllWine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:01 am The original post of a ban appeal doesn't need to be very long. It certainly doesn't need to be in the thousands of words.
bro it was literally all logs

if you dont want to read logs dont read logs

or do it, for free
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #693829

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:18 am Admins regularly respond with just as much if not more, even for short ban appeals. If you wanna make a length requirement apply it to y’all’s responses too.
I would agree

PengisBungholius wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:18 am Since this has been kicked off by
I don't think logdumping is healthy until the appealer has elucidated what logs need to be dumped.

I don't really think we need a strict limit on post length but maybe some guidance?
PengisBungholius

Post by PengisBungholius » #693834

WineAllWine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:22 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:18 am Admins regularly respond with just as much if not more, even for short ban appeals. If you wanna make a length requirement apply it to y’all’s responses too.
I would agree

PengisBungholius wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:18 am Since this has been kicked off by
I don't think logdumping is healthy until the appealer has elucidated what logs need to be dumped.

I don't really think we need a strict limit on post length but maybe some guidance?
Logdumping adds a lot of weight behind words, though. Plenty of appeals have died cause logs prove they were lying
imo having it be clearer how you should post logs would be nice, I doubt most people know it's by doing [ code ] (stuff here) [ /code ]
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #693838

PengisBungholius wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:30 am Logdumping adds a lot of weight behind words, though. Plenty of appeals have died cause logs prove they were lying
imo having it be clearer how you should post logs would be nice, I doubt most people know it's by doing [ code ] (stuff here) [ /code ]
But only if those facts are in dispute. If everyone knew you made a bomb, sold it to the botanist at the vacant commisary and then the bartender set it off with a remote signaller....That's all useless, you dont need to prove anything.
This isn't a serious policy thread, more like a plea.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #693841

all the logs are not useful. They're proving things that no one is arguing against. One should only use logs if things are in dispute.
PengisBungholius

Post by PengisBungholius » #693842

WineAllWine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:41 am all the logs are not useful. They're proving things that no one is arguing against. One should only use logs if things are in dispute.
relevant part of the ban appeal rules:

Rules regarding the use of public logs:
The content of log lines quoted must not be modified in any way.
This does not apply to adding context (as long as its clear that its added and not part of the original log)
Likewise, you are allowed to add formatting or emphasis as long as it does not appear deceptive
Any omissions of in between lines must be clearly marked in-line to the logs along with a brief description giving a rough amount of the lines removed, what they contained, and why they were removed
-snip-(500 lines of the clown slipping the hos in the other room removed for being irrelevant)
You must link to the log file you got the logs from to make it easier to validate the context
Air on the side of good faith, Its better to include too many context lines then not enough lines context lines
Expect onlookers to assume bad faith. If you omit details that are later deemed to be important people will assume you did it intentionally. This means doing due diligence when reviewing the logs for related or relevant bits.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #693844

PengisBungholius wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:44 am
WineAllWine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:41 am all the logs are not useful. They're proving things that no one is arguing against. One should only use logs if things are in dispute.
relevant part of the ban appeal rules:

Rules regarding the use of public logs:
The content of log lines quoted must not be modified in any way.
This does not apply to adding context (as long as its clear that its added and not part of the original log)
Likewise, you are allowed to add formatting or emphasis as long as it does not appear deceptive
Any omissions of in between lines must be clearly marked in-line to the logs along with a brief description giving a rough amount of the lines removed, what they contained, and why they were removed
-snip-(500 lines of the clown slipping the hos in the other room removed for being irrelevant)
You must link to the log file you got the logs from to make it easier to validate the context
Air on the side of good faith, Its better to include too many context lines then not enough lines context lines
Expect onlookers to assume bad faith. If you omit details that are later deemed to be important people will assume you did it intentionally. This means doing due diligence when reviewing the logs for related or relevant bits.
Just don't post the logs until they're disputed?
PengisBungholius

Post by PengisBungholius » #693846

WineAllWine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:50 am Just don't post the logs until they're disputed?
Yeah, sorry, I meant to show that the ban appeal section on logposting is lacking in both a nicer way to condense logposting and guidelines for when you should logpost
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #693848

PengisBungholius wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:55 am
WineAllWine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:50 am Just don't post the logs until they're disputed?
Yeah, sorry, I meant to show that the ban appeal section on logposting is lacking in both a nicer way to condense logposting and guidelines for when you should logpost
Ah, yes, it should be improved. I think thats what I want out of this policy thread so thanks!
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #693876

If an appeal only takes 3 sentences, then it will only take 3 sentences.

If it's some gargantuan affair that requires a dissertation of 20 pages of log-diving and logicposting then it will take a lot of words.

Wholly opposed to original proposal. The bit about possibly improved guidelines is fine, though.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #693907

Max length for the appeals isn't the solution to this problem.

Everyone needs to format better, dividing their appeals into paragraphs.

Instead everyone rambles and dosen't put logs in drop downs.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #693915

I think setting a forced limit on appeals isn't the right way to go. However, if your appeal was written like you're a baboon with a typewriter trying to reach a word count, I also don't think the admin has to be in any sort of hurry to reply.
chocolate_bickie wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:59 am Everyone needs to format better, dividing their appeals into paragraphs.

Instead everyone rambles and dosen't put logs in drop downs.
Perfectly well put, here.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #693922

no one neds this many lines to appeal. anyone posting that much isn't doing so in good faith.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #693926

this is just more admins trying to find excuses to deny people their rightful appeal
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #693927

iamgoofball wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:27 pm this is just more admins trying to find excuses to deny people their rightful appeal
A policy like this would probably also be extended to admins and it would kill timber. Murder him. He'd be retired by tomorrow if he can't 50000 word post he can't live
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #693932

it's a stupid policy proposal, we're adults, we can use long paragraphs to explain things, we don't need to dumb shit down to tweet-length quips for unmedicated ADHD-suffering fortnite children who shouldn't be here anyways because of rule 9 who click off of videos if they aren't 15 seconds long and shot in portrait
Last edited by iamgoofball on Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #693934

No.

There are circumstances that would lead towards a ban appeal/note appeal requiring a larger argument and greater degree of log diving to demonstrate either there has been a miscommunication, misunderstanding or mishandling of either logs or interpretation of events/sequence of events. This really, ideally, should be done as succinctly as possible, but sometimes this requires a long breakdown that can be several paragraphs long.

You can choose to overlook large scale log dumps if you wish, and I think appealers should be cherrypicking the relevant pieces rather than dropping all relevant logs. Cutting the fat, so to speak. But I want it to be clear, any admin and any appealer should be able and ready to back up their decisions and reasoning both with strong arguments and relevant evidence to their point.

We need to be fair and give appealers their time to leverage their entitlement to arguing their case. And fairness requires being able to sufficiently reason their stance on the situation. Same as us. Some situations need to hit the thousand word count to make an argument in its totality, especially when explaining things in the form of a timeline of events with proper reasoning for each junction of a situation.

I don't want arbitrary restrictions placed on me and how I conduct my appeals. I don't want the same put on anyone appealing, because I care enough about fairness to not begrudge someone the opportunity to put in effort in making their case. Bludgeoning someone with a wall of text of nothing doesn't matter if the material itself is faulty, after all. You should be able to reason past that.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #693948

I don't think this is the right solution. Admins can just skim through the appeal, and if there're signs of bad faith or the player has the wrong mindset (rules lawyering, unapologetic, not caring about other people or fun, etc), it can simply get rejected without a thorough investigation.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #693956

For every hour the player is banned they can write 1 word + 2x the original note/ban length.
This makes my 1 hour ban from elyina that just said "fuck off" effectively unappealable. I know what I did but no-one else does.
PengisBungholius

Post by PengisBungholius » #693978

Atlanta-Ned wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:43 pm
no one neds this many lines to appeal. anyone posting that much isn't doing so in good faith.
admins can and have closed appeals after the first post, especially note appeals ("the note appeal guidelines are..." "the note is factual..." etc.), I assume you're saying this because you can see a lot of these appeals being talked about, otherwise this reads as callous. Players that are appealing already feel slighted, they want to be heard, why shouldn't they try and set their best foot forward?
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #694002

the reason appeals are so long is because you never know which admins are gonna instadeny in their first reply. You have to just assume you will get trolled and get everything off your chest first, and then wait for the first response before you can get into the real nitty gritty
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #694062

We should channel the spirit of John Oxford to seek his wisdom about the issue.

the jox ghost says
"there should be a maximum length to ban appeals and a minimum length to responses. if you respond with fewer words than the appealer at any time during the appeal you lose ban permissions for the duration of the player's ban"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #694112

Atlanta-Ned wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:43 pm
The appeal was later accepted, by the way.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #695553

No interest but if you make an essay post and cannot tldr it to something more readable you are liable to have a bad time when trying to deal with people. (For both players and admins)