let changelings say fuck (MRP)

TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

let changelings say fuck (MRP)

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695622

okay i think we've started a trend of making clickbaity titles to attract attention so i hope that was sufficient to catch you

here's the deal

i feel like changeling is getting the shaft when it comes to their own restraints versus how much the crew is able to (and WILL) cut off your nose, your ears, your tongue and eyes plus your arms and legs because that is their fetish (and then cremate and shuttlegib them)

rule 6 reads

Code: Select all

6. Deal with the bad guys in proportion to their crime(s).
Restricted antagonists (or crewmembers) should be handled in proportion to their committed crimes. The decision to execute an antagonist should have good in-character reasoning based on their crimes and the state of the shift. Punishments against antagonists that repeatedly commit minor crimes may be escalated. Only antagonists that have committed the most severe crimes may be met with immediate execution.

Security members are expected to consider the full range of punishment options available when dealing with antags. This includes (but is not always limited to) pacification, implants, timed brig sentences, gulag sentences, permabrig, forced borging and execution. Forced borging is considered equivalent to execution in punishment severity.

Explicitly friendly antagonists do not have this protection and may be treated as the crew or admin team see fit.
particularly, the fact that restricted antagonists should be handled in proportion to their crimes. typically, your presence on the station is a most heinous crime because people will roleplay it out that you've killed, eaten, and replaced the crewmember that you started as. this provides them a reason to rr you based on the single fact that you got the funnytext at the start of the round, however it is you end up being revealed, be it harmful or harmless.

and that's totally cool.

what i would like, to compensate for this very wide gap between escalation, is this.

if changeling are toast the moment they're outed, let them say FUCK

thanks for reading, upvote if you agree
Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Re: let changelings say fuck (MRP)

Post by Bmon » #695623

This would also mean that changelings could(and I think should) be validhunted as every other antag ticked yes on that list is a global threat
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695624

Bmon wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:35 am This would also mean that changelings could(and I think should) be validhunted as every other antag ticked yes on that list is a global threat
yeah, it happens anyway so may as well throw them a bone.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #695625

bad way to go about it because you'd have a stealth antag running around blending unsuspecting crewmembers which is very much not in line with the other antags that are unrestricted (loud messy guys like nukies and wizards)

it would however make sense for changelings to be able to deal with anyone who does suspect them to be a changeling however they see fit. as long as the person you're dealing with knows or suspects you may be the big bad valid changeling man then you can act like it.
Weston Echard on Sybil
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695628

blackdav123 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:10 am bad way to go about it because you'd have a stealth antag running around blending unsuspecting crewmembers which is very much not in line with the other antags that are unrestricted (loud messy guys like nukies and wizards)

it would however make sense for changelings to be able to deal with anyone who does suspect them to be a changeling however they see fit. as long as the person you're dealing with knows or suspects you may be the big bad valid changeling man then you can act like it.
might help with the idea that you should be looking over your shoulder at any moment. the suspense of interacting with someone and not being able to use your metafriending superpowers to know if they'll suddenly lunge at you or not because oh shit it was actually someone using your friends face and voice.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #695635

TheBibleMelts wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:32 am -snip-
im just afraid of the scenario where someone runs around killing randoms with firelocks or spears without ever saying a word. ideally if you want to go on a monster rampage you should be using your armblade and shield and stuff like that rather than just spearing people until sec finally kills you and dumps your body somewhere you can revive to continue the spree with another face
Weston Echard on Sybil
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #695645

I like it. It feels weird to ever do anything except outright execute changelings due to the fact they are shapeshifting murder monsters who can steal your identity. Changelings should be free to behave like careless alien beings perfectly willing to kill anyone and everyone to get what they want. Anyone abusing changeling murderbone rules exemptions to play the game in a lame manner can be dealt with using RPR10

Let them say fuck.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #695667

I’m in full support of this but I really wish that there either be a chemical or something that can be surgically removed to retransform people back into their round start selves. Hell, put it behind research so the ling can still mass use it, at least in the early game. The “I dna sting everyone to look like the gaudiest felinid” joke is super fucking tired at this point.

It’s to the point that the shuttle can be called because communication is impossible when everyone is “Myrhryon Zuzukati” the neon pink haired felinid #9,284,571 and the round is probably going to last an hour to an hour and a half (on Manuel at least) You can get your dna backed up but good fucking luck with that, I’ve seen it done like five times on Manuel.

Changelings should 100% be able to go hog wild since they’re a transforming alien monster thing. Most people tend to hunt the shit out of them already since they either dna sting people or kill you if you’re alone with them. Also the aforementioned “ling has already killed someone before the round even started” thing.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #695685

1000% support! Changelings are monsters and should absolutely be allowed to pick the crew off one at a time.
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #695710

Yeah I agree. Sec should basically always rr Lings and Lings should be able to say fuck
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #695712

RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:12 am I’m in full support of this but I really wish that there either be a chemical or something that can be surgically removed to retransform people back into their round start selves. Hell, put it behind research so the ling can still mass use it, at least in the early game. The “I dna sting everyone to look like the gaudiest felinid” joke is super fucking tired at this point.

It’s to the point that the shuttle can be called because communication is impossible when everyone is “Myrhryon Zuzukati” the neon pink haired felinid #9,284,571 and the round is probably going to last an hour to an hour and a half (on Manuel at least) You can get your dna backed up but good fucking luck with that, I’ve seen it done like five times on Manuel.

Changelings should 100% be able to go hog wild since they’re a transforming alien monster thing. Most people tend to hunt the shit out of them already since they either dna sting people or kill you if you’re alone with them. Also the aforementioned “ling has already killed someone before the round even started” thing.
I am familiar with the exact round that inspired this post, and typically i get bombarded with prayers asking people to fix it. I unfortunately never see the transform sting used to do anything interesting or deceptive, only piss people off.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #695731

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:42 pm
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:12 am stuff
I am familiar with the exact round that inspired this post, and typically i get bombarded with prayers asking people to fix it. I unfortunately never see the transform sting used to do anything interesting or deceptive, only piss people off.
The sad thing is I’m not even recalling a specific round, this is just what happens 90% of the time there’s a ling.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #695776

Yeah there's no shortage of pink felinid mass transformations. Only thinking worse is turning everyone into the tider of the week.
Thranos
Byond Username: Thranos

Post by Thranos » #695796

Mass transformation is weak shit, real lings play musical chairs with voices and faces. The chef is now the captain, the Clown is now the chef, the chaplain is now the clown, etc.
Communication possible, but insanely confusing, and it's easy to lose the ling in the lurch.

But yeah everything said in the opening post makes sense and should already be a thing.
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #695925

lings should be awarded the capabilities to ice any fool who needs dead yes, no contest.

on one hand transform stinging people gets old fast, but on the other people take it to heart really fast when they get funny clicked and then spend the rest of the round hunting the ling because they now have motivation to kill and shuttlegib them (they cannot stand more than 30 minutes of playing anything but their custom crafted deeplore donutsteel OC), so i could go either way on the sting, if it has the chance to be removed via chem shenaniganry then god bless making chemists work more (they deserve it).

normalizing the space parasite that feeds on peoples DNA being a bastard creature and in turn they get to act like bastard creatures, who wouldn't enjoy that?
nukularpower
Byond Username: Nukularpower

Post by nukularpower » #697718

+1 for this for sure. Also I sure hope someone updates TG ling to the current goon one that has horror form and such. Please don't @ me about stealing from goon either - the current changeling TG has (which, not coincidentally, is almost the exact same one EVERY OTHER server has) is the same one from the original goonstation base that spawned TG to begin with, so it would be more of an update than anything (going from old goonling to new goonling!)

Also I'd fucking love to see a stealth antag that gets to actually murder people. My dream is to have just a serial killer Hannibal Lecter style antag, without station-destroying powers or some ridiculous "ascension", just a muderous bastard that provides food for paranoia. Ling would be way stronger than I'd like but still sort of that niche if unrestricted, so bring on the fucks, i say
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #697743

nukularpower wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:20 pm My dream is to have just a serial killer Hannibal Lecter style antag, without station-destroying powers or some ridiculous "ascension", just a muderous bastard that provides food for paranoia. Ling would be way stronger than I'd like but still sort of that niche if unrestricted, so bring on the fucks, i say
I agree with you that this is a great on paper. But people will complain about murderboning because they can't stand to no longer be a part of the shift. On the other side of the coin, power gamers who have no intention to have any interesting interactions with anyone will use it to just wordlessly kill everyone.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #697784

I'm always a little wary when we start talking about unrestricting antags on MRP. I feel like a lot of people come to those servers to avoid having to deal with randomly getting their shit kicked in for no discernible reason.

That being said, I feel like this does make sense. Changelings are already pretty much KOS as is because they're almost impossible to contain reliably without setting up a BZ room or some shit. I feel like letting them kill more often would help with the issue of them having to rely on dumb gimmicks like "old rhinovirus but not curable".
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
nukularpower
Byond Username: Nukularpower

Post by nukularpower » #697791

Vekter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:32 pm I'm always a little wary when we start talking about unrestricting antags on MRP. I feel like a lot of people come to those servers to avoid having to deal with randomly getting their shit kicked in for no discernible reason.
I get this feeling, but personally, I join MRP because I want to play out being a very fragile human on a very dangerous space station without everyone else acting like frothing lunatics for no apparent reason. I know I'm not going to change anyones mind but coming into this game expecting to live through the shift is not the right approach imo - i am happy if my near-certain death is ironic or funny, but even if its not, hopefully there was fun to be had on the journey

in short, I feel I dont die often *enough* :)
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #697808

The purpose of kill/ "murderbone" policy is foregoing your mechanics to just pick people off, its not like "you cant kill more than 5 people unless your chart says Yes".

Changelings have reason to off people on their own on top of the other aspects we allow killing for (self defense, witness, etc.). They already have a wide net of legal reasons to kill people, I dont see the allure of giving people things passes to ignore the rule without very good reason.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #697871

Cobby wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:58 pm The purpose of kill/ "murderbone" policy is foregoing your mechanics to just pick people off, its not like "you cant kill more than 5 people unless your chart says Yes".

Changelings have reason to off people on their own on top of the other aspects we allow killing for (self defense, witness, etc.). They already have a wide net of legal reasons to kill people, I dont see the allure of giving people things passes to ignore the rule without very good reason.
remember this is the server where someone got screamed at for "lowpop murderbone" for literally killing their target

by someone who was also a traitor and had successfully killed their own target
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #698117

Screemonster wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:19 am
Cobby wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:58 pm The purpose of kill/ "murderbone" policy is foregoing your mechanics to just pick people off, its not like "you cant kill more than 5 people unless your chart says Yes".

remember this is the server where someone got screamed at for "lowpop murderbone" for literally killing their target

You say that, but I get more adminhelps from Bagil for lowpop murderbone than I do Manuel like ever.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #698130

Vekter wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:53 pm

You say that, but I get more adminhelps from Bagil for lowpop murderbone than I do Manuel like ever.
this could also be because bagil is basically always lowpop while manuel is usually 30+ players
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #698135

Vekter wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:53 pm

yeah but how many of those are actual murderbone versus the traitor's literal objective
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #698136

Screemonster wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:36 pm yeah but how many of those are actual murderbone versus the traitor's literal objective
None, some of them are kills that aren't the objective but they're almost always 100% valid.
Spoiler:

DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #698645

I'm genuinely curious about one thing tho, can midround lings kill and absorb a random person to get themselves a plausible identity with no prior interaction on the ling's part?
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #698808

DaydreamIQ wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:53 am I'm genuinely curious about one thing tho, can midround lings kill and absorb a random person to get themselves a plausible identity with no prior interaction on the ling's part?
By the rules, no. But we should.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #698899

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:44 am
DaydreamIQ wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:53 am I'm genuinely curious about one thing tho, can midround lings kill and absorb a random person to get themselves a plausible identity with no prior interaction on the ling's part?
I'm fairly certain they do allow for it. I'd count "needing a disguise so I can steal shit without getting caught" as a valid reason to do antag things. That's well within their objectives.

When we really break this issue down, I think the problem is less "Changelings need to be able to do whatever they want" and more "there's a lack of understanding as far as how the MRP antag rules work in general and we should be clarifying them better". Pretty much any antag can say "fuck" to a certain degree as long as it lines up with their goals. The intent of the rule was never to rob antags of their bite, but to prevent situations where they'd go on random killing sprees for no reason.
Spoiler:

Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #698908

Vekter wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:37 pm
I'm fairly certain they do allow for it. I'd count "needing a disguise so I can steal shit without getting caught" as a valid reason to do antag things. That's well within their objectives.
If you look at the MRP rules, there is pretty little indication that its ok to kill people for selfish reasons not directly related to your objectives. I agree that their should be an amendment saying that you can kill and antagonize for reasons of greed, selfishness, or power, and I personally would not punish a player for it.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Lacran

Post by Lacran » #698967

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:39 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:37 pm
If you look at the MRP rules, there is pretty little indication that its ok to kill people for selfish reasons not directly related to your objectives. I agree that their should be an amendment saying that you can kill and antagonize for reasons of greed, selfishness, or power, and I personally would not punish a player for it.
Killing a person to disguise yourself as them as a prerequisite for your objective is a killing directly related to your objective. Only counter would be if you objective didn't feasibly require you to disguise or that specific person made no sense to disguise as.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #698973

Lacran wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:32 am Killing a person to disguise yourself as them as a prerequisite for your objective is a killing directly related to your objective. Only counter would be if you objective didn't feasibly require you to disguise or that specific person made no sense to disguise as.
Its arguable, and an admin could easily interpret otherwise. I agree that your interpretation makes the game more fun, but the rules do not make it clear.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #698986

"If questioned about a chain of events involving indirect actions, the antagonist should be able to clearly explain what events in the current shift led them to their course of action without resorting to hypotheticals. "

This is the relevant part of defining "objective related" actions. Basically can you concretely say why you did the thing in the pursuit of x.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #704264

Yeah we're fine with this, let clings say fuck. They get rred when caught anyway, let them fuck about before that.