Shocking grilles for husking: Allowed or not?

TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Shocking grilles for husking: Allowed or not?

Post by TheRex9001 » #700995

Title, should using grilles for husking be allowed? It causes disruption to the power system and supposedly damages the general power net. I think it should be allowed withing reason, ex of reason: Using it to husk 1-2 people and letting others deconstruct it whenever they want. Ex of not in reason: Keep pushing more monkeys/corpses/people into it, preventing destruction of the device and re-placing it when people break it.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Shocking grilles for husking: Allowed or not?

Post by CPTANT » #701000

"supposedly damages the general power net."

What do you mean by this?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #701036

CPTANT wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:39 pm "supposedly damages the general power net."

What do you mean by this?
I should have worded that better, but what I meant is damages the general health of the powernet (unloading certain apcs of power fully etc)
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #701095

If we're presuming this is being done by antagonists... why wouldn't it be allowed? It's just a ghetto powersink. Antags obviously want to damage the powernet.

IS the argument that it's too difficult to counter because they can be built basically anywhere in a dark corner of maintenance? I feel like that applies to regular powersinks too.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #701115

I think the only real concern here would be the device either being used to quickly husk corpses faster than you normally should be able to or it causing lag.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #701141

Usually when there is a power sink like that the engineers or another player finds it quickly.
Sometimes it takes a lot longer and we have a whole crew complaining for a while. They usually start looking for the sink too. Heck, their response rate might be better than a blob report because EVERYONE needs power.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #701146

Is there a scenario where a non-antag would want to husk something?
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #701150

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:02 am Is there a scenario where a non-antag would want to husk something?
A clown making a funni monkey killing device in the theatre would be one. Would that be allowed?
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #701186

Let me try and state my point a bit better - the only reasons we should be disallowing things as an antag is:

1) If it's an exploit.
2) It negatively impacts server performance.
3) It violates rules 8 or 11.

I'm not entirely certain that this matches any of that. Now, if the argument is to disallow it for non-antags, we need to factor in whether or not there's an acceptable use for it outside of antagonistic purposes. I think there's an argument for both sides here, namely that it can be something a clown or an engineer throws together because they think it's funny, but if it has a direct negative impact on the station as a whole (ie it fucks up the power grid somehow), it might be good to disallow them on that basis.

If we're going to compare them to disposals loops/traps, then the difference here is that it could be fucking with the power grid in ways I'm not aware of. Someone who understands powernet code better than I do will have to comment on that.
Last edited by Vekter on Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #701212

Vekter wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:12 am Let me try and state my point a bit better - the only reasons we should be disallowing things as a non-antag is:

1) If it's an exploit.

I'm not entirely certain that this matches any of that. Now, if the argument is to disallow it for non-antags-...
Did you mean antags the first time?

Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #701213

Sightld2 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:19 am
Vekter wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:12 am Let me try and state my point a bit better - the only reasons we should be disallowing things as a non-antag is:

1) If it's an exploit.

I'm not entirely certain that this matches any of that. Now, if the argument is to disallow it for non-antags-...
Did you mean antags the first time?
Yeah, I fixed it.
Spoiler:

Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #701233

I recall someone making a pull request about this, that got closed, which mentions that they are ghetto powersinks

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/72273
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #701243

Archie700 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:58 am I recall someone making a pull request about this, that got closed, which mentions that they are ghetto powersinks

I disagree with the entire premise of the the PR. Making a ghetto powersink with 2 monkeys on a conveyor sounds exactly what the game was meant to be.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #701254

Archie700 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:58 am I recall someone making a pull request about this, that got closed, which mentions that they are ghetto powersinks

Okay, so that brings up a valid reason to forbid them for non-antags, as they actively harm the station at large.

Slightly off-topic but I might port the PR that makes grilles take damage every time they shock something which would mostly resolve this issue.
Spoiler:

blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #701256

if someone is creating problems (blowing out the powergrid) for no benefit to themself (husking monkies probably doesnt count as "benefit") then you are definitely valid to smash their machine and escalate against them if they try to stop you

if they are making an effort to not destroy station power like using their own portable generator or beefing up the SM then you probably shouldnt care
Weston Echard on Sybil
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #701370

Is this really worth litigating in the form of a policy proposal? will anyone remember this conversation?
Seems best done case to case.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #701425

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/77860

Worth noting that this was merged recently so they're no longer infinite
Spoiler:

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #701438

Vekter wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:08 pm https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/77860

Rip Grill traps
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #701441

Vekter wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:08 pm https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/77860

I'll close this thread in that case, hardly relevant any more.