Raise the bomb cap.

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Raise the bomb cap.

Post by bandit » #84338

No, hear me out.

Currently, thanks to Syndicate Bombs being widely available both to traitors and to double agents, most of the other antag modes having no use for bombs, thanks to suicide bombing being a bannable offense and mining bombs being nigh-useless even if they were literally ever used, toxins never sees meaningful use. Anyone who wants boom can get a good-enough boom out of a syndicate bomb; it takes longer, but in practice the length is not enough for anyone to actually make toxins bombs instead. I can't remember the last time I saw a classic TTV, let alone canisters or any of the more obscure varieties; this is because the risk-reward tradeoff is just not enough to justify the extra effort. Plus it renders an already pretty-useless department even more useless.

To top it off, admins are known to remove the bomb cap if the right people ask at the right times with the stars aligned, so it's not even as if it's a solid limitation, it depends on admin whims, which is never good.

So my proposal is to raise the bomb cap. Not remove it, raise it. How much? I don't know, it'll require (gasp) playtesting, and the input of people who can into toxins better than I can, but there must be some better triangulation of "worth the effort" and "won't crash the serber" than the one we have.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Re: Raise the bomb cap.

Post by Erbbu » #84340

[youtube]A8VqdhNnwdY[/youtube]
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #84346

This idea pleases me. I think a small-yet-significant uptick to the bomb cap might be good.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #84350

With help of atmos, it's completely possible to crash the server with a good enough mix. The bomb cap exists to prevent this, more or less.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #84353

If people put in the time to actually use toxins, they can completely and utterly fuck the station, almost as bad as a singulo in some cases (see: Bones McGee as a traitor scientist). I think it's more that people are too lazy to fully utilize toxins on a round to round basis, which is probably a good thing
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #84356

As someone who uses toxins consistently as a traitor, you can easily get 6 max cap bombs within ten minutes. And with the use of smugglers bags can easily hide them even in high profile areas. I think the bomb cap is good where it is. The six bombs are more than enough to completely destroy the station. If anything I would support lowering the TC cost for the syndicate bomb because of the mandatory timer.
Last edited by TechnoAlchemist on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #84361

the last time i increased the cap the server literally broke, and that was at 7,14,28
at best it could be increased to 5,10,20 or 4,8,16 and six bombs would have to go off at once without causing serious lag
there is also balance issues due to the intensely destructive nature of bombs and the fuckton of damage they can do
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
bandit

Post by bandit » #84363

Sometinyprick wrote:the last time i increased the cap the server literally broke, and that was at 7,14,28
at best it could be increased to 5,10,20 or 4,8,16 and six bombs would have to go off at once without causing serious lag
there is also balance issues due to the intensely destructive nature of bombs and the fuckton of damage they can do
5/10/20 or 4/8/16 would work

admin feedback pls
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #84364

It seems like you want an easier way to force the shuttle call.
Spoiler:
That's from three days ago. Was cap changed since then?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
bandit

Post by bandit » #84365

Lumbermancer wrote:It seems like you want an easier way to force the shuttle call.
No? I suck at toxins. I just want to encourage people to actually work to get a decent-sized bomb instead of instant syndibombs.
Last edited by bandit on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin feedback pls
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #84366

We really don't need the bomb cap increased. I find it perfectly satisfactory if not strong as is as long as you know how to do it. Toxins is better than syndibombs anyways.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #84370

Lumbermancer wrote:It seems like you want an easier way to force the shuttle call.
Spoiler:
That's from three days ago. Was cap changed since then?
except these bombs are 7,14,28 raised in a single round and over twice the normal cap.
the problem is that when things explode due to new features a lot of objects move around too and this causes even more lag also.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #84375

I always thought that supermatter shard explosions and nitroglycerin bombs should have their own, higher bombcaps because they're more difficult to get/set up.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #84377

I cranked it one step up for Laharl once and it lagged the server really horribly and TOTALLY fucked the station to the point where if this was the norm it would just be a balance issue.

Also toxins is crazy useful on a round to round basis
140 TC Marauder? DEAD
Blob? FUCKING OBLITERATED
Cultists trying to group? SHUNT THINE MORTAL COIL
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #84381

Tokiko2 wrote:I always thought that supermatter shard explosions and nitroglycerin bombs should have their own, higher bombcaps because they're more difficult to get/set up.
It did for a while. Supermatter was a dev 8 explosion but that got removed for reasons. Probably because the general effects of the supermatter are deadly enough as it is.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
bandit

Post by bandit » #84391

Scones wrote:I cranked it one step up for Laharl once and it lagged the server really horribly and TOTALLY fucked the station to the point where if this was the norm it would just be a balance issue.

140 TC Marauder? DEAD
and then, in all cases except blob (and even then, probably in blob): BWOINK! BANNED!

admin feedback pls
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #84392

bandit wrote:
Scones wrote:I cranked it one step up for Laharl once and it lagged the server really horribly and TOTALLY fucked the station to the point where if this was the norm it would just be a balance issue.

140 TC Marauder? DEAD
and then, in all cases except blob (and even then, probably in blob): BWOINK! BANNED!
I've done all of these multiple times without even being questioned by admins or other players. You just have to be smart with your bombs and not a friendly fire mongoloid.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #84403

I think the bomb cap is fine as is, it's already a case that if one bomb goes off the shuttle gets called because no-one can be arsed fixing the damage

And uplink bombs are a thing that never should've happened
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #84404

Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:And uplink bombs are a thing that never should've happened
opinion + irrelevant
Bombcap seems fine as it stands, honestly. You get a nice balance of station destruction without it being game-breaking while not being completely useless. Not to mention, server stability stands fine with what the bomb cap is at. If what you want is more destruction and explosions, maybe what we need are more TTVs in science at roundstart.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #84408

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Spoiler:
opinion + irrelevant
Bombcap seems fine as it stands, honestly. You get a nice balance of station destruction without it being game-breaking while not being completely useless. Not to mention, server stability stands fine with what the bomb cap is at. If what you want is more destruction and explosions, maybe what we need are more TTVs in science at roundstart.
Cargo can order more TTVs last time I checked, just the act of managing them to actually order them without getting a big o' red flag by the sheer act of requestiong a crate just steers people away from them.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #84410

MMMiracles wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:snip
Cargo can order more TTVs last time I checked, just the act of managing them to actually order them without getting a big o' red flag by the sheer act of requestiong a crate just steers people away from them.
Yeah, this exactly. There is a way to get more TTVs, but it's practically impossible due to the meta being that the only reason more TTVs would ever be needed is because of on-station bombing. I've never actually seen a TTV crate get purchased, much less delivered to science. Again, more at roundstart would solve this issue.
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #84414

This is a server config issue, not a code development issue.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #84417

bandit wrote:
Sometinyprick wrote:the last time i increased the cap the server literally broke, and that was at 7,14,28
5/10/20 or 4/8/16 would work
I agree, could be fun, stuff above this could cause performance issues.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #84419

MMMiracles wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Spoiler:
opinion + irrelevant
A ttv crate is incredibly expensive in terms of cargo points.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #84456

PKPenguin321 wrote:
opinion + irrelevant
Not irrelevant when people in this thread are basing their reasoning for increasing the bomb cap on the fact that no one bothers using ttv bombs due to uplink bombs being almost as good, you dork.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #84491

Uplink bombs are small in devastation and usefulness when compared to normal capped bombs.
Specifically with "normal" bombs you get six bombs with a range of 3 devastation 7 heavy damage and 14 light. These bombs can be carried and are generally more useful for surprising people.
With the syndicate bomb you get one rather obvious bulky bomb which must be dragged and does 2,5,11. The only real advantage they have is that they can be used early in the round but even then if your quick enough you can make normal ttv bombs very quickly too roughly in about a minute or two with the same damage.
Basically they are nowhere near as good as normal tank transfer valve bombs.
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #84492

as much as removing/upping the bombcap would be !!fun!!

do you really want this to happen every other round?

pretty sure this is the reason nobody ever removes bombcap for me anymore :'(

edit: for reference, this was 4 10/20/41 ttv bombs.
bandit

Post by bandit » #84496

cool that people are talking about removing the bomb cap entirely and basing their counter-arguments on that when what is actually being proposed is just one or two ticks up (5/10/20 or 4/8/16)

:honkman:

admin feedback pls
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #84499

That's how debating works here.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #85568

Spoiler:
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #87048

Yea, if it's not going to cause lag I see no problems with raising the cap a little bit, I would think 4dev or 5dev would be a good choice.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #87128

no

I was around for Cuban Pete. Never again.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #87129

It's not 'remove the bomb cap', it's not 'double the bomb cap', it's 'make TTVs the most powerful ordnance again, if only by a tiny bit.'
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #87132

With the upcoming pr that effects how explosions work (walls an r-walls etc limit explosions), it does actually make sense to raise the bomb cap - by how much I'm not sure.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #87136

Fair enough. Probably should if walls are going to react realistically.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #87137

I will throw up a poll