Ghost Court in Wizard Events Allowed?

Hoolny
Byond Username: Hoolny

Ghost Court in Wizard Events Allowed?

Post by Hoolny » #702061

Recently and in other rounds people have heavily complained about ghosts going out of their way to rating out antags to get them killed.

As far as I can this isnt against the rules and I just want to make sure there is no possibility of me or someone else being banned for doing this
xPokee
Byond Username: XPokee

Re: Ghost Court in Wizard Events Allowed?

Post by xPokee » #702063

1. Don't be a dick
We're all here to have a good time, supposedly. Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules, this also includes harassing a player OOC (Out of character). Legitimate conflicts where people get upset do happen however, as detailed in the escalation section of the rules.
So yes, I would say going out of your way to get as many antags as you can RR'd or caught just because, is against the rules. Maybe you could provide IC justification if it is you leading security to the person who killed you in a vengeful spirit getting revenge on their murderer kind of way. But just getting any and all antags caught just for the fun of it probably goes against Rule 1.
That one felinid player.
► Show Spoiler
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #702082

3am thoughts on this

generally speaking, it's agreed on that deadchat is ooc, in exchange for dead players not having any real way to interact with the round or players. in the few deliberate ways that ghosts can interact with the living, its accepted that the interaction between ooc and ic information is allowed; the biggest example is revenant, where we explicitly allow the revenant to transmit ooc knowledge to ic players (the revenant being an antag also gives them license to lie and fuck with people), but the same applies to magic 8 balls and probably other minor things im forgetting

in that regard i think that visible ghosts should fall under the same rules: if something intentionally causes deadchat and livechat to be able to interact, the transfer of ic/ooc knowledge should be allowed, including using the ooc ability to observe the entire round to find antags. the main balancing lever for this is usually the fact that ghosts are allowed to (and maybe even encouraged to) lie and fuck with people, and if you blindly trust ghosts and kill someone innocent thats on you

the one scenario where i would personally bwoink someone for going by ghost court knowledge is if ghosts hint that person A is an antag, person B runs up and wordlessly blasts them into oblivion, then person B actually checks their items and finds the ghosts lied. ghosts should not be taken as concrete evidence for/against antagonism because, again, ghosts are neutral parties and are absolutely allowed to lie and fuck with people, and acting purely on what you think ghosts are telling you should carry the same risks as hearing someone yell on common "john botany has a desword" and immediately rushing to botany, shooting them 76 times and decapping them when they're just growing weed

if ghost court actually *is* a problem id rather see a code solution, either by having the wizard's death remove ghost visibility, or maybe letting the crew banish ghosts with salt or the null rod or something
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #702085

Outside of someone changing their ghost name to "CMOisa Traitor" I would never act on a ghost for doing ghost things with summon ghosts, it's soul

This is just a dynamic moment and could probably be coded out if it's too much of a problem
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #702099

ghost court is funny and soul, but if you follow ghost court and end up being wrong you'll get banned.
► Show Spoiler
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #702105

Ghosts may act as antags.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #702133

Honestly feature, wizardry should not be happening often enough that this needs to be clamped down on.

If anything the onus would be on the player using ghosts as their only evidence and not the ghost themselves
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #702190

ghost court is soul
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #702193

From what I'm aware the ruling on this has always been, ghosts get to act as antags, which means they can reveal antags or attempt to get people falsely accused. Players generally shouldn't cite an antagonistic force to determine if someone is a antagonist or not. I'm with cobby and agreeing that if a player decides to use ghosts as their only source of evidence then they're the ones at fault.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #702214

Ghost Court is funny. If anything, ghosts should be even crueller and try to get innocents lynched.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702219

Ghosts are not bound by ic rules, only server rules (no ddos/rule 0/erp/etc)

The issue with visible ghosts and other antags is wizard isnt designed to co-exist with other antags and had a lot of things grandfathered into dynamic, blame that not a specific event that wizard can trigger.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #702277

This is fine. Ghosts aren't 100% reliable so it's always possible they randomly decide to fuck with you and orbit someone who's done literally nothing worth attacking them over.

One of the points of Summon Ghosts is to cause disruption and chaos. What's more chaotic than trying to get someone to lynch somebody?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #702305

Ghosts more often than not just troll random people rather than validing antags. It's on the people for taking ghosts seriously.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #702353

If you're validhunting based on information from ghost court, you're already making some incredibly poor life decisions.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #702391

Ghosts can do as they please, and if the crew does something stupid because of that, it's really their own fault.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #702509

My favourite thing during summon ghosts is to rename myself "Dog ghost that opens doors you point at", activate my AI interaction and randomly woosh around opening doors that people point at
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #702566

WineAllWine wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:30 pm My favourite thing during summon ghosts is to rename myself "Dog ghost that opens doors you point at", activate my AI interaction and randomly woosh around opening doors that people point at
reminds me of the time I played a sentient Ian with knock and security were torn between validing me for running around with a wizard spell and trying to avoid becoming valid themselves for killing Ian
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #704266

Ghost court is funny. If you kill the wrong person you'll get punished though so be careful.