ban using the word 'bad' on MRP

Post by EmpressMaia » #702354

you should put some effort into constructing a coherent sentence on MRP
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Re: ban using the word 'bad' on MRP

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #702361

"I had a bad day" "Get banned, loser."

Jokes aside, while I agree that MRP should put some effort into it, I think a blanket ban on it isn't the right idea. If you're talking to some dude and all of a sudden he whips out a circular saw and starts killing you, all that you know is that he's Bad.

You don't know if he's a traitor. Or a Heretic. Or a Changeling. Or a Rev. Or a Cultist.

And while IC it would make a lot more sense to yell something like "JOHN SMITH IS AN UNKNOWN HOSTILE" there's a certain level of leniency you have to give due to the fact that it's a game.

In real life, I could start backing up while yelling "JOHN SMITH IS HOSTILE" or what have you. But in the game, I have to type. And if I have to type, I'm not moving.

So there needs to be a way to relay that information quickly and clearly, so that you don't get killed. Or crit before you finish speaking. Thus why people would say "JOHN BAD"

Now if the HoS is just sitting in his office, and an officer asks "Hey why's John Smith set to Wanted?" and the HoS answers "John Bad." then yeah absolutely smite him with the wrath of zeus.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #702374

I always find it annoying when people are this lazy. I think it should at the very least be discouraged on LRP too. Let admins smite lazy antag callouts or something.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #702382

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:41 pm "I had a bad day" "Get banned, loser."

Jokes aside, while I agree that MRP should put some effort into it, I think a blanket ban on it isn't the right idea. If you're talking to some dude and all of a sudden he whips out a circular saw and starts killing you, all that you know is that he's Bad.

You don't know if he's a traitor. Or a Heretic. Or a Changeling. Or a Rev. Or a Cultist.

And while IC it would make a lot more sense to yell something like "JOHN SMITH IS AN UNKNOWN HOSTILE" there's a certain level of leniency you have to give due to the fact that it's a game.

In real life, I could start backing up while yelling "JOHN SMITH IS HOSTILE" or what have you. But in the game, I have to type. And if I have to type, I'm not moving.

So there needs to be a way to relay that information quickly and clearly, so that you don't get killed. Or crit before you finish speaking. Thus why people would say "JOHN BAD"

Now if the HoS is just sitting in his office, and an officer asks "Hey why's John Smith set to Wanted?" and the HoS answers "John Bad." then yeah absolutely smite him with the wrath of zeus.
you dont have to callout every antag or threat that you see or opposes you. more fun when antags are given some leeway
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #702384

EmpressMaia wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:53 pm
CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:41 pm "I had a bad day" "Get banned, loser."

you dont have to callout every antag or threat that you see or opposes you. more fun when antags are given some leeway
You don't have to call out every antag or threat that you see, sure, but it's not going to be fun if I'm dead in some locker, either. Generally the antag that tries to kill you on-sight the moment you try to speak to them isn't one who has a fun gimmick in mind, it's one who wants to unga unga their objectives to Win, and that's just going to ruin the fun for everyone else if all of Sec are slowly picked off one by one.

It's an important balance. Sec shouldn't be trying to stomp antags out of the round before they can do anything, and antags shouldn't be trying to do the same, either.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #702392

Chronically calling out ";Xemo bad!" or "Xemo evil!" is absolutely NRP shit and, at admin discretion, I think more than fair for a 15-minute OOC in IC ban.

People typed better callouts all the time even in the golden days of GLORFcode (losing your message entirely to being attacked in the middle of typing) so if you can't do ";HELP / ;XEMO" or ";HELP LIBRARY!" instead, that is clearly a skill issue.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #702393

LARRY KILLING ME VIROLO -GLORF! will always be funnier to see on the radio feed than LARRY BAD
I think admin bus on "HE BAD!" is a good idea
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #702405

Pandarsenic wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:33 am Chronically calling out ";Xemo bad!" or "Xemo evil!" is absolutely NRP shit and, at admin discretion, I think more than fair for a 15-minute OOC in IC ban.

People typed better callouts all the time even in the golden days of GLORFcode (losing your message entirely to being attacked in the middle of typing) so if you can't do ";HELP / ;XEMO" or ";HELP LIBRARY!" instead, that is clearly a skill issue.
I believe glorfing has returned. For extra fun, do it to someone who is smoking.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #702406

I'm going to assume that the idea behind this isn't to actually ban the word "bad", but to do something about the rash of people who type the shortest possible thing so they can get across the idea that someone's an antag without being interrupted.

I'm okay with this. If they really want to be concise they can just yell "HELP!" and "MAINTS!", yelling out something like "ALASTOR BAD" is lame and boring and not conducive to good RP.

Also yes, glorfing is in the game currently, I believe it just eats part of your message near wherever you got hit.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #702407

Vekter wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:38 am I'm going to assume that the idea behind this isn't to actually ban the word "bad", but to do something about the rash of people who type the shortest possible thing so they can get across the idea that someone's an antag without being interrupted.

I'm okay with this. If they really want to be concise they can just yell "HELP!" and "MAINTS!", yelling out something like "ALASTOR BAD" is lame and boring and not conducive to good RP.

Also yes, glorfing is in the game currently, I believe it just eats part of your message near wherever you got hit.
theres also a few different glorf likes they are funny
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #702477

How is calling someone’s name with no context ok and supposedly understandable as they’re being an antag, but adding the word “bad” to that makes it NRP?

Is the actual issue calling someone out as an antag when you don’t know what antag they are or…? Like I’m genuinely confused how “John is bad” or even “John bad!” Is less immersive than “John!!” Or “Kitchen Maint!” Like I’m playing text R6S
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #702480

Cobby wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:49 pm How is calling someone’s name with no context ok and supposedly understandable as they’re being an antag, but adding the word “bad” to that makes it NRP?

Is the actual issue calling someone out as an antag when you don’t know what antag they are or…? Like I’m genuinely confused how “John is bad” or even “John bad!” Is less immersive than “John!!” Or “Kitchen Maint!” Like I’m playing text R6S
Just calling someone's name sounds like you're wanting to ask them something or calling out for them. If some retard validhunts over that, then they effectively created their own 10 codes metacomms language, so that's probably already bannable.

Saying the location alone is kinda cringe. Should probably have an attempt at saying you need help first, even a simple "HELP!!" could work. Honestly not sure why people care so much about having to alert the horde before dying. I don't think OP ever said your examples were okay, they probably just went with the "bad" trend because it's extremely common now and very noticeable.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #702483

It’s because you are forcing them to sit out of the game so they want to be able to be revived, which I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that in its own.

We have items to disrupt nearby comms, we have the capability to sabotage comms globally, and even speaking from an immersive pov you are unlikely to be forming proper/coherent sentences as you frantically call for help over the radio.

It is a big ask imo to ask people to be able to type proper while also trying to weave and dodge someone who can wordlessly kill them (even legally)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #702486

Screaming ";Help!!" on comms is shorter than saying ";X bad" while also making more sense. It doesn't have to be coherent, but using "bad" to bypass the word filter for saying "antag" is just so unbelievably cringe and is just metacomms at this point.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #702546

Turbonerd wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:21 pm Screaming ";Help!!" on comms is shorter than saying ";X bad" while also making more sense. It doesn't have to be coherent, but using "bad" to bypass the word filter for saying "antag" is just so unbelievably cringe and is just metacomms at this point.
"Help" doesn't give the info of who is actually hurting you. In the time it takes sec to arrive (if they ever arrive because "help" doesnt say where you are) your killer can hack your head off and pocket it, walk a few maint doors up, and then go back to playing the shift in complete anonymity.

"John Bad" lets people know "oh someone is in trouble *and that john did it*, which is generally what you actually want?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #702550

"X bad" is a necessary gameplay convention given that you cannot type and move at the same time. Not everybody can type at the same speed, and a dude with an esword will crit you in roughly 2-3 seconds.

We have glorfing when you get hit, so how do you expect a player to type out anything at all when being attacked, let alone the novel you seem to expect?

Why is "Help chapel" okay, but "John bad" isn't? Would "John rogue" be better?
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #702558

say baddie instead

"john is a baddie"
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #702564

Turbonerd wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:21 pm Screaming ";Help!!" on comms is shorter than saying ";X bad" while also making more sense. It doesn't have to be coherent, but using "bad" to bypass the word filter for saying "antag" is just so unbelievably cringe and is just metacomms at this point.
The immediate response to ";HELP!!" is usually 6 people on comms yelling "Help WHERE?" a yell of "CHAPEL" doesn't mean anything and could just be an answer to someone's question, while "JOHN BAD" usually has people immediately trying to figure out where you are, and also means that at least after John cuts your head off and throws it out into deep space, your round removal isn't in vain.

You're just assuming that "bad" is a bypass for "antag". It's a good, catch-all word that covers every single possibility, and makes it clear you don't know what they are. It's, in essence, "UNKNOWN HOSTILE" but condensed down to three letters because you can't speak and move at the same time.
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #702568

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:20 pm
The immediate response to ";HELP!!" is usually 6 people on comms yelling "Help WHERE?" a yell of "CHAPEL" doesn't mean anything and could just be an answer to someone's question, while "JOHN BAD" usually has people immediately trying to figure out where you are, and also means that at least after John cuts your head off and throws it out into deep space, your round removal isn't in vain.

You're just assuming that "bad" is a bypass for "antag". It's a good, catch-all word that covers every single possibility, and makes it clear you don't know what they are. It's, in essence, "UNKNOWN HOSTILE" but condensed down to three letters because you can't speak and move at the same time.
Just max your suit sensors, then people can track you. If you don't have time explain what's going on in detail, then maybe you should focus more on your survival rather than trying to specify someone's hostility.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #702616

Turbonerd wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:10 am
Just max your suit sensors, then people can track you. If you don't have time explain what's going on in detail, then maybe you should focus more on your survival rather than trying to specify someone's hostility.
Suit sensors can take quite a while to track down, especially in maint.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #702617

CPTANT wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:26 am
Suit sensors can take quite a while to track down, especially in maint.
Paramedics have pinpointers.
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #702668

Suit sensors can be removed via stripping, a scream of "JOHN BAD" gets people looking for you immediately, a lot faster than "HELP" would for reasons unknown (validhunters), and it's also allowing you to provide as much information as possible ("I need help" and "This person is attacking me") in the shortest amount of time, which is very important WHEN YOU CANNOT SPEAK AND MOVE AT THE SAME TIME DUE TO THE LIMITATIONS OF THE VIDEOGAME.

I'm all for having the word banned for use in times of Peace, the HoS in his office shouldn't just be saying "John Bad" when asked why John's set to arrest. But you people are seriously forgetting "sometimes you cannot do things perfectly realistically due to the fact that this is a videogame and you cannot do two things that require the keyboard simultaneously."
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #702670

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:05 pm

Suit sensors can be removed via stripping, a scream of "JOHN BAD" gets people looking for you immediately, a lot faster than "HELP" would for reasons unknown (validhunters), and it's also allowing you to provide as much information as possible ("I need help" and "This person is attacking me") in the shortest amount of time, which is very important WHEN YOU CANNOT SPEAK AND MOVE AT THE SAME TIME DUE TO THE LIMITATIONS OF THE VIDEOGAME.

I'm all for having the word banned for use in times of Peace, the HoS in his office shouldn't just be saying "John Bad" when asked why John's set to arrest. But you people are seriously forgetting "sometimes you cannot do things perfectly realistically due to the fact that this is a videogame and you cannot do two things that require the keyboard simultaneously."
Being able to reliably call out an antagonist isn't the most important thing in the world. I'd rather have improved RP than people feeling safe with their lazy metacallouts (borderline 10 codes at this point). This is an RP community after all.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #702682

Turbonerd wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:18 pm

Being able to reliably call out an antagonist isn't the most important thing in the world. I'd rather have improved RP than people feeling safe with their lazy metacallouts (borderline 10 codes at this point). This is an RP community after all.
the improved rp of being forced to silently die with nobody knowing you died while Turbo Deathkill freely owns you with wordless death fuckin sucks. Trying to fix the text chat issue of killing people being super fast and mobile while talking requires you to effectively stun yourself with "if you cant type long enough words to pass an arbitrary check you should be banned" is dumb. Plus it encourages the meta play of people wordlessly fighting and brawling instead of calling for help or screaming on the radio, which is the opposite of what we want.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Turbonerd

Post by Turbonerd » #702689

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:56 pm
Turbonerd wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:18 pm

the improved rp of being forced to silently die with nobody knowing you died while Turbo Deathkill freely owns you with wordless death fuckin sucks. Trying to fix the text chat issue of killing people being super fast and mobile while talking requires you to effectively stun yourself with "if you cant type long enough words to pass an arbitrary check you should be banned" is dumb. Plus it encourages the meta play of people wordlessly fighting and brawling instead of calling for help or screaming on the radio, which is the opposite of what we want.
Screaming ";Help!!" is way shorter than "; X bad". Suit sensors also exist. It's not that hard.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #702703

No idea what Turbonerd is saying but as others have said, if you need to blurt out info real quick it’s fine to just say “HELP LIBRARY,” NUKIES CARGO,” “JANE HERETIC,” “BLOB ATMOS,” etc. If there were some sort of magical way to type and do stuff then sure I guess trying to encourage not using shorthand would be fine. As it currently stands it’s a necessity due to game limitations. A security officer saying “Jane bad” when the HOS asks them why they arrested Jane Doe the heretic isn’t fine. At the same time someone saying “Jane is a bad guy,” “Jane is doing some bad shit,” “Jane is evil,” etc. is fine for civilians (non-sec) trying to quickly inform security that a person is doing some illegal stuff even if they can’t quite pinpoint what sort of antagonist they are.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #702730

Bad bad.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #702732

Like others have said it is mostly a code issue. Writing more in a situation where someone is carving you up with an esword is simply directly hurting you. I think people should have some slack for being short when they get jumped, they are fighting for their life and their adrenaline is sky high.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #702750

If the OP had put more context into this it might be more interesting. Having a conversation as exampled where the heat isn't on should be a better standard than the sheer mechanical necessity of trying to get any useful message off while you're also busy trying to epipen/fight/not die/dying.

In these situations, you have little time, typing takes time. Even if you were actually speaking with your mouth, with the 'experience' of having only a few seconds before you'll lose radio contact entirely short forms are bound to be used, and unlike RL we're all experienced enough to go straight to the point in those key seconds rather than panic. The point of crew arguably is to pass on information to enable everyone else to put the picture together (and not like there aren't incorrect calls, there are shitters whose go to as soon as you even stun them in your department is to scream about how you're rogue and murdering them on comms).

"Help" is literally no different to "help maints", which is almost exclusively a mocking joke of how to waste your limited radio time communicating nothing of value.

Put a hotkey in game that calls out on radio "Please assist me I am at location <areaname> and being attacked by <lastattacker>". Solves the mechanical issue of typing speed. Somehow I don't think anyone will be sold on this though. The element of a surprise attack (if you're not using the tools provided to prevent comms) is the race of action versus call out speed, less is literally more.

That said, in the same vein of information if I know what I'm up against then the call will just be "joe ling" "joe cult" etc, but when you're dealing with someone just hacking you up with a saw and you have no idea if its revs, tot, heretic, misc other just playing under rule 4s freedoms, or maybe just a non antag going off on one then you need a 'generic catchall'. Bad is a fine word. I also like 'rogue'.
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #703624

this might sound odd but i enjoy using rogue for when i suspect someone isnt station aligned and bad for when i suspect someone is actively against the station
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #703740

say they are antagonizing the station if they are mischievous.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #703790

I'll always prefer bad over someone straight up saying traitor or tot.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #703798

what a bizarre policy proposal and it's odd that people are even countenancing it
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #704199

i don't think anybody is interested in enforcing this and most people in this thread aren't even sure if this was a serious suggestion.

things you feel are failrp should be adminhelped, i have noted people for treating the game like a round of mafia before.

bad good, until bad bad.

chesh: -1
fikou: -1