Rule 12 Clarifications

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Rule 12 Clarifications

Post by kinnebian » #705107

Rule 12 is a confusing rule, that is so bad it has to be explained to admins when they are candidated.
The current rule 12 is as follows:
12. This is a sandbox roleplaying game
The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying. Play-to-win gameplay that ruins the purpose of the game at the expense of others is against the rules.
I have a few problems with this, mainly in the fact 'Play-to-win Gameplay" is inherently a very loose and non-defining term.
"What does it even mean?"
"I thought we were supposed to play to win?"
I know what youre thinking, that the rule is cleared up in the addendum.
And it is!
Playing-to-win is to focus exclusively on a competitive victory condition, such as killing all antagonists. It is not empowering yourself to achieve personal goals, or taking measures to survive the shift
But the rule doesnt mean anything without this addendum! Its just entirely pointless! Therefore, I propose we move the addendum to the main body of the rule, or at least find some way to replace or clarify the term "Play-to-win Gameplay" in the rule so it isnt completely useless.
respect (let him do his thing)
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Re: Rule 12 Clarifications

Post by Sightld2 » #705144

I feel like it is the way it is so that we have a big umbrella term that you can apply to things not just in the addendum. There's room to add more precedents or not use it at all.

Rule 1 is written the same way, "Don't be a dick" is extremely vague. The 9 precedents it has underneath it, are useful, but don't need to be written into the body of rule 1.

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #705159

this rule was written specifically by the headmin term that added it to be unenforceable to shut up people asking for the roleplaying rule to be re-added
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #705161

I'm all for consolidating and condensing this rule as well if we can start brainstorming a possible solution.
iamgoofball wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:17 pm this rule was written specifically by the headmin term that added it to be unenforceable to shut up people asking for the roleplaying rule to be re-added
You're going to need to backup that claim.
Hugs
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #705163

The idea and intent behind the rule is to punish people who forego basic expectations of RP for the sake of getting valids. Specific situations have been people who hoard guns and items that are wholly unnecessary to their job for the purposes of killing antags or players who spend a detrimental amount of time hunting valids instead of actively doing their job ("HoPcurity").

Any rewrite of the rule should be made with that in mind. I agree that we should be making it clearer and easier to enforce. I would also suggest using this rule to enshrine basic RP expectations - even if the bar is incredibly low, it should still be visible so people don't trip over it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #705173

Sightld2 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:28 pm I feel like it is the way it is so that we have a big umbrella term that you can apply to things not just in the addendum. There's room to add more precedents or not use it at all.

Rule 1 is written the same way, "Don't be a dick" is extremely vague. The 9 precedents it has underneath it, are useful, but don't need to be written into the body of rule 1.
Yes, but "Dont be a dick" Actually means something. "Play-to-win" is a term that is inherently confusing in ways that rule 1 is not. Does it mean powergaming? I'd call that "Play-To-WIn" Behaviour. But it isnt powergaming! Is it validhunting? Sometimes! Shrug! This is all cleared up in the addendum, which i propose moving to the main rule as it is VITAL to understanding rule 12! I can understand rule 1 without reading it's addendums, because thats what addendums should be.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #705195

kinnebian wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:32 pm Yes, but "Dont be a dick" Actually means something.
If "don't be a dick" were concrete, we wouldn't need any of the other rules, because it covers all of them.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #705196

Vekter wrote:Specific situations have been people who hoard guns and items that are wholly unnecessary to their job for the purposes of killing antags or players who spend a detrimental amount of time hunting valids instead of actively doing their job ("HoPcurity").
Timber stated multiple times last term that Rule 12 is not a rule against powergaming.. It isn’t RP rule 7.

I think hoarding and collecting items unnecessary for your job would be allowed in LRP under rule 12. It’s the “OR hunting valids instead of doing their job” that might not be. But isn’t validhunting RP rule 4? Surely rule 12 isn’t just some strange global RP rule 4 either.

So what exactly is rule 12. I feel like it is a very specific speciality rule that gives admins the right to slap people who are gaming ultra hard at the expense of any and all roleplay opportunities for the rest of the playerbase. But as Lukas mentioned last term, it’s an extremely specific rule that doesn’t apply 99% of the time.

Honestly I see no reason to keep it if it’s going to be as vague as it is, even the addendum is very unclear with what exactly it’s trying to prevent. In every case I’ve asked “what’s an example of rule 12?” I was given situations that are clear rule 1 violations - e.g. stealing the CMO’s items as a cap to validhunt with, every round. You could argue every rule is rule 1, which is true to an extent, but all the other rules add a very clear substantive clarification of something admins would consider “being a dick,” ie ERPing or metagaming, and rule 12 simply doesn’t do that.
Spoiler:
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #706147

This one may be up for a while, but it's not forgotten.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #706222

Metagaming or shoehorning your weird fantasies on people not consenting to it (IE ghosts who are forced to turn off spectator ears specifically to avoid you) is absolutely clear cut being a dick.

All of the rules fall under rule 1 so to use that as an example here is really weird and besides the point.

Rule 12 IS a rule against powergaming to the point that you are literally only playing the game for the victory condition (or lose condition of other antagonists). The example in the rules already is making a point to kill all the antagonists which is textbook validhunting but not in the same sense as rule 4 (which is unprovoked antag hunting). The silly caveat here is the following sentence where it says if you frame the powergaming just right (personal goals) its actually ok so like youre obviously always going to assume your personal goal of mary sue-ing is an exception to the rule.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #706251

Cobby wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:24 pm All of the rules fall under rule 1 so to use that as an example here is really weird and besides the point.
All the other rules serve as clear clarifications to rule 1. Being bigoted is being a dick, OOC in IC is being a dick, playing while under 18 is being a dick - these are all extremely clear and tell the reader exactly what to avoid. Rule 12 does not do this and that's why this thread exists.
Cobby wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:24 pm The example in the rules already is making a point to kill all the antagonists which is textbook validhunting but not in the same sense as rule 4 (which is unprovoked antag hunting).
In what way is "textbook validhunting" different from "unprovoked antag hunting"?
Spoiler:
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #706274

As one of the six people that can speak with any authority on Rule 12 - having been in Rave/Tattle/Fairy's headminbus at the time during handover and participated in this rule's drafting and creation - Rule 12 was not intended as a rule against validhunting, or as a rule against powergaming. There was a definite line drawn. If there was any intent to bring an anti-powergaming rule to LRP, we'd've just ported the servicable RP rule for it.

Rule 12 has two limbs to it. And both must be present to establish a Rule 12 break.

You need pursuit of a competitive win condition, and you need it to be done at the detriment of RP.

If you're not pursuing a competitive win condition, Rule 12 will never apply to you. If you're not ruining RP or any chance for any meaningful interaction, Rule 12 will never apply to you.

One example mooted internally of what could fall under Rule 12 included things like early shuttle calls with poor reason - a goal of just being GG go next shift and in the process you basically ruin other people's RP fun by forcing the shift to end early for no good reason.

Zybwivcz was the poster child of Rule 12, combining play-to-win as sec with wordess arrests and might-as-well-have-been-wordless interactions after arrests. Beepsky had more IC personality. He pursued the competitive win condition with reckless abandon, and rejected any attempt to talk or interact at all while doing it - he was an RP black hole from which any words you said or actions you took would vanish from reality the second they passed the event horizon of his baton.

The common examples of public medkits and insuls were deemed fine to basically take FNR, wordlessly, regardless of what you were going to use them for. A focus was instead put on hoarding lots of station resources so you could basically kill all the antags as a one-man-band of gamer gear. Again, the caveat being that you did so wordlessly and avoided engaging in any meaningful interactions in the process.

It's not Roleplay Rule 7. You can powergame all you want as long as you meaningfully interact and roleplay with people instead of being a slightly less advanced NPC.

The reason why it's confusing and/or difficult to enforce is because the number of players that do a mix of BOTH play-to-win AND totally rejecting or destroying all RP and interactions are limited and they tend to get caught under different rules before Rule 12 really comes in to play.

Zyb got cursed with it because sec's job is generally to pursue competitive win conditions, so he wasn't really breaking any other rules with his play. The manner in which he did so was the antithesis of RP, though. And thus Rule 12 came in to save the day.

We weren't interested in using Rule 12 as a standin for any of the RP rules. It basically exists to axe "true" NRP players that approach SS13 as a single-player experience.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #706290

the only time I used rule 12 was to tell an engineer who's been rushing Durand to validhunt every single round to stop
► Show Spoiler
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #706296

Timberpoes wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:40 am As one of the six people that can speak with any authority on Rule 12 - having been in Rave/Tattle/Fairy's headminbus at the time during handover and participated in this rule's drafting and creation - Rule 12 was not intended as a rule against validhunting, or as a rule against powergaming. There was a definite line drawn. If there was any intent to bring an anti-powergaming rule to LRP, we'd've just ported the servicable RP rule for it.

Rule 12 has two limbs to it. And both must be present to establish a Rule 12 break.

You need pursuit of a competitive win condition, and you need it to be done at the detriment of RP.

If you're not pursuing a competitive win condition, Rule 12 will never apply to you. If you're not ruining RP or any chance for any meaningful interaction, Rule 12 will never apply to you.

One example mooted internally of what could fall under Rule 12 included things like early shuttle calls with poor reason - a goal of just being GG go next shift and in the process you basically ruin other people's RP fun by forcing the shift to end early for no good reason.

Zybwivcz was the poster child of Rule 12, combining play-to-win as sec with wordess arrests and might-as-well-have-been-wordless interactions after arrests. Beepsky had more IC personality. He pursued the competitive win condition with reckless abandon, and rejected any attempt to talk or interact at all while doing it - he was an RP black hole from which any words you said or actions you took would vanish from reality the second they passed the event horizon of his baton.

The common examples of public medkits and insuls were deemed fine to basically take FNR, wordlessly, regardless of what you were going to use them for. A focus was instead put on hoarding lots of station resources so you could basically kill all the antags as a one-man-band of gamer gear. Again, the caveat being that you did so wordlessly and avoided engaging in any meaningful interactions in the process.

It's not Roleplay Rule 7. You can powergame all you want as long as you meaningfully interact and roleplay with people instead of being a slightly less advanced NPC.

The reason why it's confusing and/or difficult to enforce is because the number of players that do a mix of BOTH play-to-win AND totally rejecting or destroying all RP and interactions are limited and they tend to get caught under different rules before Rule 12 really comes in to play.

Zyb got cursed with it because sec's job is generally to pursue competitive win conditions, so he wasn't really breaking any other rules with his play. The manner in which he did so was the antithesis of RP, though. And thus Rule 12 came in to save the day.

We weren't interested in using Rule 12 as a standin for any of the RP rules. It basically exists to axe "true" NRP players that approach SS13 as a single-player experience.
how truly applicable is this rule if this is the amount of text required to understand how to enforce or follow it?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #706308

Timberpoes wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:40 am As one of the six people that can speak with any authority on Rule 12 - having been in Rave/Tattle/Fairy's headminbus at the time during handover and participated in this rule's drafting and creation - Rule 12 was not intended as a rule against validhunting, or as a rule against powergaming. There was a definite line drawn. If there was any intent to bring an anti-powergaming rule to LRP, we'd've just ported the servicable RP rule for it.

This completely clarifies it, but if it is self-admittedly so rare as to only apply to these rare cases, why should it be its own global rule?

If the goal is to empower admins to ban people like Zyb, wouldn’t it work just as well as a rule 1 precedent, stated in the straightforward elemental form you’ve given? Then it would be clear and easy to apply for admins.

The only justification to keep it as a separate rule is if its short-form presentation provides some meaningful guidance to players that read it. It’s clear from this thread alone that there are just as many people as there are interpretations of Rule 12 as it stands. I’m not sure bloating the rule with explanation and addendums is going to help, particularly because the target audience of the front-page rules are players that aren’t going to have the requisite technical knowledge to make sense of wordy addendums and niche guidelines for a game they’ve only just dipped their toes into.
Spoiler:
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #706309

I liked it because it says the purpose of the game is to have fun RPing.

That alone is a powerful line to have on the LRP servers and I'd wished the admin would have pointed to that part more, similar to how they point to Rule 10.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #706483

I think rule 12 as a goal clarification rule is invaluable. Zyb is one example, but I would also speak to the likes of Asher Clarke, who is another example. Your playstyle and your round to round goals being a pure detriment to everyone, even your supposed allies.

Rule 12 is to safeguard against people who only perceive the existence of other players as little more than speed bumps towards valids, or new valids that have presented themselves by being in their sightline. For the few people like that, who have no interest but victory and no care any semblance of playing out a role, we shouldn't have to worry about whether or not we're making the right call when we ask them to tone it back.
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #706503

I understand rule 12 and its importance, but that doesnt address my core issue with the rule, that being that it is hard for newer players to understand.
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #706824

Playing to win is such a blanket term, it could range from gamemode objectives like killing green texts or valid hunting antags or making sure you come out ontop when another non antag tides/griefs you, all the way to throwing other people under the bus in a situation where its your immediate survival vs theirs (realistic survival instincts)

Ive seen admins coin the term play to win for all 3 of these , some situations can even be a combination of all 3

Its also the rule I lowkey get most frustrated with and think about whenever I deal with the bystander issue and how paradoxical it is when you cant harm someone who is clearly sided with someone else who you are fighting but hasnt done anything to directly escalate against you yet meaning they automatically get to have the first hit.

Like EVERY SINGLE TIME WHEN 2 or more people break into my maint base without fail its always ONE of them that starts breaking my shit and escalating against me while the other one WATCHES and he only intervenes when I start winning a conflict that their "friend" started but their inaction before that point means I cant drown them both in acid or something.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #706863

kinnebian wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:15 am how truly applicable is this rule if this is the amount of text required to understand how to enforce or follow it?
if you can't trust your gut to make basic calls without having everything written down the you are probably not a good DM.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #706865

kinnebian wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:15 am how truly applicable is this rule if this is the amount of text required to understand how to enforce or follow it?
Timber's monologue can be condensed to this bit of it:

Which is really not that much, the rest is examples. He's just loquacious is all.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #706877

oranges wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:13 am
if you can't trust your gut to make basic calls without having everything written down the you are probably not a good DM.
bait
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #708764

conrad wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:20 am
Timber's monologue can be condensed to this bit of it
timbernose wrote:Rule 12 has two limbs to it. And both must be present to establish a Rule 12 break.

Then lets make that the rule, it makes much more sense than the current rule 12.
Let rule 12 be:
Competitive pursuit of a win condition to the detriment of others roleplay is against the rooles.
Let the rest be addendums
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #708768

kinnebian wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:41 am
timbernose wrote:Rule 12 has two limbs to it. And both must be present to establish a Rule 12 break.

Then lets make that the rule, it makes much more sense than the current rule 12.
Let rule 12 be:
Competitive pursuit of a win condition to the detriment of others roleplay is against the rooles.
Somehow it seems worse to me now that it’s clarified... You could easily apply this to essentially every single form of validhunting on LRP, despite that being allowed.
Spoiler:
kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #708771

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:57 am
kinnebian wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:41 am

Let rule 12 be:
Somehow it seems worse to me now that it’s clarified... You could easily apply this to essentially every single form of validhunting on LRP, despite that being allowed.
im for scrapping rule 12 and putting it under rule 1 as an addendum, but i dont think that would help much
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #708775

So powergaming is not against the rules anymore? Does that mean the classic "don't AI-proof atmos at round start" example is no longer a thing?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #708776

To clarify… Validhunting would simply fall under rule 12 under this new formulation, whether that’s intended or not. Hunting down an antag to beat them in a 1v1 and then loot and RR them is definitely “competitive pursuit of a win condition.” It would also be “at the detriment of others’ roleplay” since… You’re definitely snuffing out any roleplay opportunity’s they have or could have by RR’ing them. And yet this is completely allowed on LRP, so this new formulation would be a contradiction in the rules.

It seems to me the real answer is “ah but admins will know it when they see it,” or “nono we don’t mean validhunting we mean when [gigashitter doing gigashittery].” If that’s the case it simply works better under rule 1.
VexingRaven wrote: So powergaming is not against the rules anymore? Does that mean the classic "don't AI-proof atmos at round start" example is no longer a thing?
That’s considered metagaming or rule 1, not powergaming. Powergaming has also never been against LRP rules.
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #708780

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:53 pm
VexingRaven wrote: So powergaming is not against the rules anymore? Does that mean the classic "don't AI-proof atmos at round start" example is no longer a thing?
That’s considered metagaming or rule 1, not powergaming. Powergaming has also never been against LRP rules.
It's a rule 2 issue, specifically precedent 4:
Atmos techs are not allowed to edit atmos at roundstart so that the AI cannot use it for malicious purposes. While this might not make sense IC, it's a necessary OOC precedent for some game mechanics to work. Atmos techs are allowed if they have any reasonable suspicion of the AI being rogue.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #708781

Vekter wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:54 pm
Atmos techs are not allowed to edit atmos at roundstart so that the AI cannot use it for malicious purposes. While this might not make sense IC, it's a necessary OOC precedent for some game mechanics to work. Atmos techs are allowed if they have any reasonable suspicion of the AI being rogue.
This also isn’t even worded right because atmosians are allowed to effectively make the AI unable to plasmaflood by making their own customs setups, just can’t do it explicitly for this purpose (for instance in many BZ setups that use the mix chamber, which is right by the distro, atmosians will remove all purple pipes to clear up space, one of which happens to be the pump the AI would use to direct plasma into distro).

But yeah it’d be a weird form of metagaming so rule 2 not rule 1 I suppose.
Spoiler:
Hoolny
Byond Username: Hoolny

Post by Hoolny » #708783

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:01 pm
Vekter wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:54 pm
This also isn’t even worded right because atmosians are allowed to effectively make the AI unable to plasmaflood by making their own customs setups, just can’t do it explicitly for this purpose (for instance in many BZ setups that use the mix chamber, which is right by the distro, atmosians will remove all purple pipes to clear up space, one of which happens to be the pump the AI would use to direct plasma into distro).

Because the AI never has any engi borgs to change pipes to plasma flood...

I have not once started a plasma flood as a borg or AI without just directly connecting plasma to distro using the current set up system is way to slow and inefficient I feel like thats an overspecific rule that shouldn't be a thing its very a kin to paradise rules
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #708790

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:01 pm This also isn’t even worded right because atmosians are allowed to effectively make the AI unable to plasmaflood by making their own customs setups, just can’t do it explicitly for this purpose (for instance in many BZ setups that use the mix chamber, which is right by the distro, atmosians will remove all purple pipes to clear up space, one of which happens to be the pump the AI would use to direct plasma into distro).

The point of the rule is supposed to be that you can't replace every pump with one the AI can't interact with at roundstart for the express intent of preventing them from fucking with it.
Spoiler:

kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #708807

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:53 pm It seems to me the real answer is “ah but admins will know it when they see it,” or “nono we don’t mean validhunting we mean when [gigashitter doing gigashittery].” If that’s the case it simply works better under rule 1.
This. The point of the thread is to address the rule being needlessly vague (yet niche) and hard to understand to newer players and ESL players.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #710974

just want to follow up and say this hasn't been forgotten. i have two drafts i'm pretty close to proposing publically.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #711090

here's the draft [UPDATED 11-13]
This is a sandbox roleplaying game
The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying, and your actions should be distinguishable as a character, as opposed to a gamer playing an avatar. Play-to-win actions that shut down any meaningful chance for counter-play or player engagement can be met with administrative action.

Rule 12 Precedents
Hoarding station resources to extremes, breaking into/disrupting a staffed department in order to empower your character with little IC reasoning, or otherwise focusing on single-minded pursuit of every valid kill with little to no regard for roleplay can be harmful to the experience of other players.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #711093

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:47 am here's the draft
The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying, and your actions should be distinguishable as a character, as opposed to a gamer playing an avatar. Play-to-win actions that shut down any meaningful chance for counter-play or player engagement can be met with administrative action.

Rule 12 Precedents
Hoarding station resources to extremes, or breaking into/disrupting a staffed department in order to empower your character with little IC reason ruins the experience for others.
Not a fan of the reformulation, it's more vague than the original, and seems it could enable an admin to ban someone for a playstyle they don't like, particularly:
your actions should be distinguishable as a character, as opposed to a gamer playing an avatar.
I'm sure some admins would consider shovefighting to run afoul of this rule. What are some examples of this, aside from OOC IC (which is already a rule)?

Rule 12 is not supposed to just be a way to sneak RPR8 and RPR10 into LRP, it's a targeted way at banning the absolute worst sort of NRP player. The language should be strict so it's not applied universally to everyone as RPR8 and RPR10 for LRP. As-is the language is very vague and broad and takes the rule way too far.
breaking into/disrupting a staffed department in order to empower your character with little IC reason ruins the experience for others.
So if someone hacks into a staffed engineering to get a toolbelt, or to get insuls, or if someone hacks into cargo to use the lathe of tools - this now breaks rule 12? I'm not a fan of making minor crimes that would ordinarily be 2 minutes in spacelaw, banworthy offenses.
Spoiler:
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #711147

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:47 am Hoarding station resources to extremes, or breaking into/disrupting a staffed department in order to empower your character with little IC reason ruins the experience for others.

hard no to this. Breaking into departments is not an issue. People griefing while doing so is. Majority of break ins are benign and give sec something to do.
► Show Spoiler
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #711201

Striders13 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:52 am
TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:47 am Hoarding station resources to extremes, or breaking into/disrupting a staffed department in order to empower your character with little IC reason ruins the experience for others.

hard no to this. Breaking into departments is not an issue. People griefing while doing so is. Majority of break ins are benign and give sec something to do.
dynamic's right there, please don't hurt its feelings like this

but seriously, even if tiding is "benign" in intent and overall impact a lot of the time, maybe even entirely justifiable IC, it still sucks to be on the receiving end of because it can just as easily share a space with you getting merc'd or fucked with, especially if you try to fight back or stop it, and a lot of time (for good reason) sec is too busy or doesn't care

It absolutely does suck, and it sucks not being able to treat those people that do tide as plausibly valid because we've got a culture and expectation of them just being able to blithely do it every round and that being fine. We take it as an acceptable cost for rolling a role with a fixed department and boundary that ignoring "benign" stuff about it will expose you to getting killed or fucked with at least some of the time, nevermind just making your experience ambiently worse waiting for the other shoe to drop, but don't let people on the receiving end act like it and in fact justify it as content.

I don't mind lawless tiding and self-antagging nearly as much as I mind it being in any sense a one-way street. I feel this a lot more on MRP than I ever have in my much more admittedly limited time on LRP, but at least there, it felt like we were all on more equal footing.

---

wrt the actual topic, powergaming and play-to-win are fine in competitive games. In fact, not playing-to-win in a competitive game is unsporting. A lot of the main rules basically entitle antags to do whatever they want, they do have built-in win conditions if they want to follow them, and we set them up without protections from getting clapped mercilessly by their opponents, sec and the crew, even if they act friendly.

It makes sense to consider LRP as about the competitive game. The roleplaying is about antag, crew, flavor text, and the degree of doubt you have about anyone else fitting any of those categories.

Because of that, rule 12 in whatever form it takes should probably be moved over to the RP ruleset if you want to have it, and it could probably even then just be subsumed under the idea there that we're here to make a story. MRP also has competition and allows for it with unrestricted or restricted-in-name-only antags -

Because of that, unless you are explicitly asking players to lose, you could probably can the powergaming/p2w rule altogether.

Nerf dominant strategies or make other avenues of play around them. Punish folks who are dicks, going beyond what their status entitles them to as far as conflict goes, or using actual exploits rather than those making good-faith use of the mechanics (with all their faults.)

It's unfair to players to ask them to act as miniature DMs to each other in the setting where the game between them is fundamentally competitive.

e1: it's a bit trite to say this, but as far as the "IC" goes - it's a stretch for me to say that anyone wakes up saying "today I will go to my deathtrap job and take a 2 outta 3 chance I get home alive, but I might just take it easy and not worry about it so much so the guy who's butchering fuzzy animals to get extra inertia to either potentially kill me or all of us and everyone else has a better time doing it"

it's sort of a catch-22 where if you try to make sense of it, you have to wildly revise the assumptions of the world and of our characters as basically human beings as we understand them to be a bunch of revelrous post-death actual psychopaths in a stupid nonsense setting in order to get to the sort of behavior you might take as a simple exercise of player agency or to just let somebody else "have a little fun with it"

or you have to hit yourself over the head with a brick every round and assume that every other day is somehow normal and this is just the one day everybody gets a little silly and everything goes wrong, even though we have no restrictions on antag knowledge and also have stuff like threat advisories which validate the bad days being more-or-less canonical
Last edited by Higgin on Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #711205

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:47 am here's the draft

Rule 12 Precedents
Hoarding station resources to extremes, or breaking into/disrupting a staffed department in order to empower your character with little IC reason ruins the experience for others.
Just as a field test for this, I'll question you with how I typically gear up as head of security:

If there is no detective, I will take the crew pinpointer and the forensics scanner
If I am the Acting Captain and only member of Command, I will take the reactive teleport armor from the RD locker
If there are no Security Officers, I will pocket a bottle of multiver, and I may get an ephedrine pill dental implant

As you can see, the intent behind my gearing up is to cover for deficiencies in help I would have from a fully staffed crew, and would be quite reasonable steps for me as a character to take, but may fall afoul of the second half of that rule as written.

Would you bwoink, note, or ban me for any of this?
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #711206

Higgin wrote: it sucks not being able to treat those people that do tide as plausibly valid because we've got a culture and expectation of them just being able to blithely do it every round and that being fine.
Admins consider B&E to be instigation in escalation. If a tider breaks into a department you can totally beat them up in response, crit them and throw them out if you like, and admins will support you, in my experience.
Higgin wrote: It makes sense to consider LRP as about the competitive game. The roleplaying is about antag, crew, flavor text, and the degree of doubt you have about anyone else fitting any of those categories.

Because of that, rule 12 in whatever form it takes should probably be moved over to the RP ruleset if you want to have it, and it could probably even then just be subsumed under the idea there that we're here to make a story.
[…]
It's unfair to players to ask them to act as miniature DMs to each other in the setting where the game between them is fundamentally competitive.
Well said. I didn’t want to make this point because I figured headmins wouldn’t be very sympathetic to it, but the fact of the matter is LRP players treat the game differently from MRP players, and such a broad “play like a character, not like a gamer” provision goes against how the vast majority of LRP people play the game. I feel this message is hard to stomach for someone who doesn’t regularly play LRP, but here’s some justification:

Roleplay in LRP isn’t usually centered around having a cohesive character, with a unique personality, and roleplaying around that character. It happens, and it’s cool when it does, but it’s the exception and not the rule. RP in LRP hinges much more strongly on the environment—chaos and antagonists—forcing players to cooperate or work together, survive together, fight together, or otherwise to enjoy the game in a lighthearted way (shovefighting, boxing matches, etc.). Natural “scenes” spawn from this, that’s why many people view RP in LRP as more genuine. The “gamer playing an avatar” is a natural response to that sort of high octane environment. What should be curbed isn’t that way of playing the game, but the grief that results from it — a hulk smashing through medbay doors and windoors to grab a medikit to heal their 10 brute damage for instance.
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #711264

Higgin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:42 pm It absolutely does suck, and it sucks not being able to treat those people that do tide as plausibly valid because we've got a culture and expectation of them just being able to blithely do it every round and that being fine.
Except it's not, because the rules explicitly say that doing it too often can get you slapped, and I know that some people who's posts I can't see claim that it's awful and horrendous to sit down and have to talk to an admin about something, but if someone is regularly breaking into places they have no access to and aren't an antag, you really should be telling us about it. The problem isn't "You can't beat the shit out of someone for breaking into your department", it's "People shouldn't be breaking into your department without a good reason".
Spoiler:

Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #711279

sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:07 pm -but the grief that results from it — a hulk smashing through medbay doors and windoors to grab a medikit to heal their 10 brute damage for instance.
Higgin wrote: It makes sense to consider LRP as about the competitive game. The roleplaying is about antag, crew, flavor text, and the degree of doubt you have about anyone else fitting any of those categories.
I'm having a very difficult time formulating responses to these, because they're working off of a mindset that is entirely unapproachable when you're trying to do what TBM is proposing. We stand at a sort of junction in server direction, wherein we can edge towards servers with fun roleplay elements once more. I've often been told how the servers have degraded since the pre-ssethtide era, and oldheads have said that old LRP more closely resembled modern MRP in mannerism, with the LRP ruleset being as lax as it is since play-to-win tiding behaviour was far less common.

I've had community members that went through the culture shift describe how the tide resulted in a concentrated mass of unmoderated play eventually spilling out into server 'culture'. We weren't always a tidey NRP competitive call of duty lobby, and I think we need to take reasonable and measured steps towards rebuilding a server we'll burn out less on. TBM is likely going to post (or has posted) a better summation of how left clicking dopamine rush with no down time at all results in faster burn-out, so I'll avoid going too far into that.

Things are worse than I had believed if our standards of roleplay are a hulk wordlessly griefing medbay and the game is being called a "competitive game". I get that these are two responses from specific individuals, not the entire LRP community, but it is disheartening to see that our idea of a roleplay server is really this lacking.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #711295

sinfulbliss wrote: Well said. I didn’t want to make this point because I figured headmins wouldn’t be very sympathetic to it, but the fact of the matter is LRP players treat the game differently from MRP players, and such a broad “play like a character, not like a gamer” provision goes against how the vast majority of LRP people play the game. I feel this message is hard to stomach for someone who doesn’t regularly play LRP, but here’s some justification:

Roleplay in LRP isn’t usually centered around having a cohesive character, with a unique personality, and roleplaying around that character. It happens, and it’s cool when it does, but it’s the exception and not the rule. RP in LRP hinges much more strongly on the environment—chaos and antagonists—forcing players to cooperate or work together, survive together, fight together, or otherwise to enjoy the game in a lighthearted way (shovefighting, boxing matches, etc.). Natural “scenes” spawn from this, that’s why many people view RP in LRP as more genuine. The “gamer playing an avatar” is a natural response to that sort of high octane environment. What should be curbed isn’t that way of playing the game, but the grief that results from it — a hulk smashing through medbay doors and windoors to grab a medikit to heal their 10 brute damage for instance.
you are correct that i am not sympathetic to this mindset, not because i don't want to be, but because i can't be - it has been the doom of many spinoff servers who wanted this selfsame freedom, some who broke off from our own server to fly into the sunrise, only to burn their wings and plummet into the void once they grew too close to their ideal. high-octane playstyles are fun for a finite time until everybody realizes that nothing they do matters, nobody cares about playing a role to their flavor, and every round turns into the same mess of shattered glass and emptied departments that preceded the current round, and the round before that, and so on.

for the health of a server, there should be a mix of both the types of players that strive and push for the above chaos, and also a present population of players who may be weaker mechanically, but seek to contribute or interact with the game in a different but equally meaningful way - by helping add to the culture with cartoony/serious characters that ground the game mechanics into a story, or add their own unique flavor to anything they're either partaking in, or witnessing/being roped into.

there will always be people who like to cause chaos and conflict, that's human nature - particularly with gaming groups. what's more rare is the type of mentality that can take that chaos and respond to it with clever jokes, character responses, and allow that joke to play out for the sake of a better story or enjoyment of others even if it's not necessarily beneficial to them in that round. to allow those people to be chased off in their entirety would be a deathknell for the enjoyment of the game that the high-chaos players enjoy, as well.

when those that need constant stimulation drive the slower-paced players away, the requirements for being able to compete in that environment increase exponentially. the strongest kill the weakest, the weakest get bored or frustrated and leave, and the strongest players only continue to escalate their behavior until there's nobody left to bounce their actions off in any manner more satisfactory than the quick rush of dopamine you get from a headshot in CoD.

players who wish to play their roles and characters on the space station need to be shown support from the policies and guidelines, because they're often not shown it ingame when they have to deal with a constant wave of people who have no intent on seeing them as anything but an NPC. when you lose all the sheep, the wolves will all kill one another and then starve. for there to be happy wolves with bellies full of mutton, the sheep need to be allowed to thrive as well.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #711298

Cheshify wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:47 am I've often been told how the servers have degraded since the pre-ssethtide era, and oldheads have said that old LRP more closely resembled modern MRP in mannerism, with the LRP ruleset being as lax as it is since play-to-win tiding behaviour was far less common.
I've heard the creation of Manuel was the reason for this - players who preferred the roleplay side of the game left to Manuel, and players who preferred the mechanical side stayed on the LRP servers. This is still largely true to a degree. I'm not sure changing the LRP server rules would fix the issue, since it wouldn't be catering to the current playerbase but forcing something on them that they wouldn't enjoy.
Cheshify wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:47 amI've had community members that went through the culture shift describe how the tide resulted in a concentrated mass of unmoderated play eventually spilling out into server 'culture'. We weren't always a tidey NRP competitive call of duty lobby, and I think we need to take reasonable and measured steps towards rebuilding a server we'll burn out less on. TBM is likely going to post (or has posted) a better summation of how left clicking dopamine rush with no down time at all results in faster burn-out, so I'll avoid going too far into that.
I'm not so sure this is what causes burnout. I think it's like anything else - you get bored, the magic dies, and you stop playing. Or, more often - the friends you played with stopped playing, so you stop playing because the game is much less fun without friends. It's very easy for oldheads to look at the game with rose-tinted glasses and assume the current playerbase is the reason for their burnout, but it's a trap.

I would discount the opinions of all those who told you that, if they no longer play. Of course they want the game back they once enjoyed, but that game is gone, not only because of the culture and code changes but because everyone they played with are gone. There is no bringing that back. The opinions that matter are of the players and admins actively playing the LRP servers, where the rules will be active, and not the people watching from the sidelines armchair philosophizing about how LRP sucks now.
Cheshify wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:47 amThings are worse than I had believed if our standards of roleplay are a hulk wordlessly griefing medbay and the game is being called a "competitive game". I get that these are two responses from specific individuals, not the entire LRP community, but it is disheartening to see that our idea of a roleplay server is really this lacking.
I gave an in-depth description on the type of roleplay players on LRP enjoyed. I'm not sure why you don't regard this as valid roleplay:
RP in LRP hinges much more strongly on the environment—chaos and antagonists—forcing players to cooperate or work together, survive together, fight together, or otherwise to enjoy the game in a lighthearted way (shovefighting, boxing matches, etc.). Natural “scenes” spawn from this, that’s why many people view RP in LRP as more genuine.
Fighting nukies with your secteam. Gathering a mob of mindshielded players that work together to oppose the rev threat. Creating a hidden cult base somewhere deep in maint and filling it with runes and structures. This is all roleplay. You're roleplaying as a cultist, you're roleplaying as a loyalist, you're roleplaying as a revolutionary. I think in the past there wasn't this strange stigma of mechanics = not roleplay and roleplay = not mechanics. They were intermixed and part of the same thing.
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #711305

TheBibleMelts wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:27 amplayers who wish to play their roles and characters on the space station need to be shown support from the policies and guidelines, because they're often not shown it ingame when they have to deal with a constant wave of people who have no intent on seeing them as anything but an NPC. when you lose all the sheep, the wolves will all kill one another and then starve. for there to be happy wolves with bellies full of mutton, the sheep need to be allowed to thrive as well.
Let's suppose we want to make the game as sheep-friendly as possible, and empower players to roleplay to the fullest extent of policy and guidelines.

First what you'd do is lower threat. Hard to roleplay if you're constantly worried about surviving. Second thing you'd do is add in all of the roleplay rules. They were expressly designed for this purpose, so it would only make sense to incorporate them.

But the thing is, players don't want this. There are hundreds of players that are actively playing the LRP servers instead of the roleplay servers. TGstation is the only highpop community that offers a Low Roleplay experience. And it's extremely popular. Players and admins alike all expressed their discontent at the idea of unifying LRP and MRP, because they offer different things and players prefer them for different reasons. It doesn't seem right to attempt the same thing by unifying their rulesets through rule 12, when the verdict is already out on what players want from the game.

I think I can agree with you that it'd be nice if there were more RP on the LRP servers. But the way to do that isn't by just shoving MRP rules down people's throats. It takes a more nurturing hand to shift the culture. Running interactive events that encourage and even require roleplay in order to work, on the LRP servers, is a great way to do it. Nations, IRS examinations, like that event that you yourself ran which got all of command together for meetings. There just aren't many admins on Sybil to do that. Event runners are a rare breed, but they are the DMs, and the DMs are the ones that should be leading the server culture into the place you want it to go. Dry enforcement of policies and guidelines, bans and notes, aren't going to get it done.
Spoiler:
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #711316

Vekter wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:56 pm if someone is regularly breaking into places they have no access to and aren't an antag, you really should be telling us about it. The problem isn't "You can't beat the shit out of someone for breaking into your department", it's "People shouldn't be breaking into your department without a good reason".
yeah, I hope I don't convey that admins have been unhelpful about this stuff - it's a me thing that I don't report, and to the extent that it is normal, I'm partly at fault for it.

I suppose what keeps me from doing it is that I feel helpless in the face of, in that moment, not knowing whether or not the person on the other end is an antag or not, or if them just tailgating in and grabbing things because somebody else didn't stop them isn't somehow less offensive or due to be settled IC. Other people may also express being annoyed about it, but others will just say 'it's whatever lol don't be a wet blanket,' and I feel reservations about making it an administrative issue against that perception.

I'll try to do better about that where I almost entirely play and where it should be most pointedly possible to get help with this stuff - on MRP.

Cheshify wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:47 am I'm having a very difficult time formulating responses to these, because they're working off of a mindset that is entirely unapproachable when you're trying to do what TBM is proposing. We stand at a sort of junction in server direction, wherein we can edge towards servers with fun roleplay elements once more. I've often been told how the servers have degraded since the pre-ssethtide era, and oldheads have said that old LRP more closely resembled modern MRP in mannerism, with the LRP ruleset being as lax as it is since play-to-win tiding behaviour was far less common.

I've had community members that went through the culture shift describe how the tide resulted in a concentrated mass of unmoderated play eventually spilling out into server 'culture'. We weren't always a tidey NRP competitive call of duty lobby, and I think we need to take reasonable and measured steps towards rebuilding a server we'll burn out less on. TBM is likely going to post (or has posted) a better summation of how left clicking dopamine rush with no down time at all results in faster burn-out, so I'll avoid going too far into that.

Things are worse than I had believed if our standards of roleplay are a hulk wordlessly griefing medbay and the game is being called a "competitive game". I get that these are two responses from specific individuals, not the entire LRP community, but it is disheartening to see that our idea of a roleplay server is really this lacking.
I was there for the very first greytide round when a bug made a shitload of people assistants and tool storage was a bloodbath. I've seen how things were in the 'old days' of Burer, Ellen Spessmehn, or Dante Smith regularly wiping the station, murderbone as normalized on both tg-1 and tg-2, and most ahelps I ever had with Kor and others back in the day getting closed with a 'valid' or 'looked into' if anything (even when people like Jarsh Mallow were tiding the armory from space every round, and you'd regularly have murders justified under escalation over the single set of cat ears on the station.)

My response to how things were back in 2012 was to basically go to Bay and other 'HRP' communities for the next decade when I interacted with SS13. You can check my scrubby and judge if I'm anywhere close to a representative LRP player. e2: just for context, I played tg-2 back in the day, which was considered then the more 'chill' of the two servers. I also played Pinkstation, a bit of Sigurd, and Artyom/Wild Hogs in their time.
► Show Spoiler
You can go onto Youtube and follow the content creators who run on tg to see some of the most high-profile videos and emulated stuff being from people going on boning sprees and exactly that sort of high-octane, aggressive gameplay or tricky mechanical gimmicks that are quick to get patched out. You much less often see stuff that you'd associate with 'higher roleplaying' make good content except where it's a very funny, short vignette or where it mostly serves for the people involved to watch it and get warm fuzzies about it after the fact. It speaks to that there is a separate and more competitive, aggressive playstyle favored by people on LRP, and no small number of people on MRP at varying times (not always! but it's allowed.) I didn't play during the ssethtide. I first started watching sseth's stuff when he was making slur-laden League videos that would get him demonetized today.

However, his description of the community that existed prior to that - a description that managed to attract many people who probably never even saw the odd threads that used to go up on /tg/ about the server - should give you pause when oldheads paint a rosier picture of how things were for 'roleplay' over competition, griefing, and greentexting.

I don't arrive at a very reductive idea of the way in which LRP is still a 'roleplaying game' because it's what I enjoy playing most of the time. My biggest frustrations as an MRP main are the ways in which it feels like the 'competitive' game I'm talking about here doesn't jive with the other sorts of games that people are trying to play on MRP but still get protected. I feel like I'm in a race to the bottom a lot of the time, and with certain people in particular, every time they're in a round - or that I'm going to suffer for it if I decide to forgo that race for the sake of playing a different game in the sandbox.
TheBibleMelts wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:27 am for the health of a server, there should be a mix of both the types of players that strive and push for the above chaos, and also a present population of players who may be weaker mechanically, but seek to contribute or interact with the game in a different but equally meaningful way - by helping add to the culture with cartoony/serious characters that ground the game mechanics into a story, or add their own unique flavor to anything they're either partaking in, or witnessing/being roped into.

there will always be people who like to cause chaos and conflict, that's human nature - particularly with gaming groups. what's more rare is the type of mentality that can take that chaos and respond to it with clever jokes, character responses, and allow that joke to play out for the sake of a better story or enjoyment of others even if it's not necessarily beneficial to them in that round. to allow those people to be chased off in their entirety would be a deathknell for the enjoyment of the game that the high-chaos players enjoy, as well.

when those that need constant stimulation drive the slower-paced players away, the requirements for being able to compete in that environment increase exponentially. the strongest kill the weakest, the weakest get bored or frustrated and leave, and the strongest players only continue to escalate their behavior until there's nobody left to bounce their actions off in any manner more satisfactory than the quick rush of dopamine you get from a headshot in CoD.

players who wish to play their roles and characters on the space station need to be shown support from the policies and guidelines, because they're often not shown it ingame when they have to deal with a constant wave of people who have no intent on seeing them as anything but an NPC. when you lose all the sheep, the wolves will all kill one another and then starve. for there to be happy wolves with bellies full of mutton, the sheep need to be allowed to thrive as well.
I can give you a list of names of people who, when I see them on Manuel, I know the round is going to quickly degenerate if they have anything to say about it, especially if they're given the license of playing antag. I know at that point that if I had any darlings about doing something, and I'm not entitled to try to force it as an antag, they're pretty much already dead. I'm sure there are people who feel the same way about trying to do antag gimmicks and seeing certain other people in security or command, but given the reactive nature of security (and my relative boringness as an antag,) I don't find this as a problem so often.

Sinfulbliss puts it well that there's a server (several, in fact) that better cater to wolves among and against wolves. For those people who predominantly enjoy LRP, a rule about powergaming and play-to-win does nothing. It's actually antithetical to what they're getting out of it.

On MRP, as I think you might've seen demonstrated by the spike in Dynamic we had a few months ago (polling be damned,) you've already got the situation described in the third paragraph that I quoted there. This is anecdotal, but from what I saw, you had a bunch of people say 'fuck this,' pick up stakes, and start looking for servers they could play at least some of the time, elsewhere, where wolves weren't entitled to force the competitive game at-will, and more structured, predictable gameplay of their own design is possible.

The unpredictability and uncomfortable mix of coexisting games are for a lot of people part of the appeal of MRP. It's a place you can do a bit of both and everything in between, supposedly, but that means making compromises between different folks' expectations. Everyone is supposed to have their shot if they keep rolling. It's a delicate balancing act, and I don't have a good answer for how to do it, except that I think it's probably better to help people calibrate their expectations round-to-round to know what they should hope for up front so they don't end up wasting their time. If the expectation is that you're going to just have to deal with having your time wasted, that's just a part of the game, it should be made clearer up front that that's still entirely on the table under the RP ruleset. Most of the restrictions on paper apply to crew, not antags, and the extent to which any antag is restricted is highly questionable under relaxed escalation in my experience.

That's what causes burnout. When the person who tries to do something unconventional and narrative with antag gear gets prematurely hunted, they get burnt out. When you get onto MRP and get punished for not engaging in LRP self-help behavior because somebody is validated in basically playing the same fucking antag you've seen 300 times beforehand, it gets you burnt out. When you get onto LRP, if you were to then get shut down from playing an otherwise entirely fair cop antag round by being told 'you need to reel it in, this is playing-to-win' or worse to have it forced by admin spawns and ERTs without any say or compensation for it, it'd fucking suck and probably leave you feeling burnt out (people on MRP say I'm robust, but I'm not - I was second place in Robustamania 2012 to Ellen, I'm old and slow, so I don't know the joys of having an ERT spawned to account for my successful 'bone - but I've staffed and played servers where that's the common mode of handling dominant antags when they've come to a head.)

e1 because this turned into a fucking novel, and I hit submit before really putting a cap on any of this:

one person trying to play a more cooperative, narrative game, one centered around characters and potentially more freeform, protracted developments, does not benefit from being the target of a competitive player or the collateral to their competition. they shouldn't be strung along with the understanding that they just have to cope and suck it up for the competitive players to have a target. when places like Skyrat look at basically abolishing antagonism as it exists on tg and making it a matter of preapproved planning with internal logic, stopping rules, and all sorts of mother-may-I limits - including possibly matching only willing targets to antags - it's to the loss of a lot of antag freedom, spontanaeity, paranoia, and strict competition that people get frustrated with and go looking for elsewhere. LRP is where you can find that stuff fully realized.

MRP needs more substantive protections for people who arrive with games to play that are not the games prioritized by the mechanical antag loops if you want to set it apart.
feedback appreciated here <3
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #711320

sinfulbliss wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:08 am
TheBibleMelts wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:27 amplayers who wish to play their roles and characters on the space station need to be shown support from the policies and guidelines, because they're often not shown it ingame when they have to deal with a constant wave of people who have no intent on seeing them as anything but an NPC. when you lose all the sheep, the wolves will all kill one another and then starve. for there to be happy wolves with bellies full of mutton, the sheep need to be allowed to thrive as well.
Let's suppose we want to make the game as sheep-friendly as possible, and empower players to roleplay to the fullest extent of policy and guidelines.

First what you'd do is lower threat. Hard to roleplay if you're constantly worried about surviving. Second thing you'd do is add in all of the roleplay rules. They were expressly designed for this purpose, so it would only make sense to incorporate them.

But the thing is, players don't want this. There are hundreds of players that are actively playing the LRP servers instead of the roleplay servers. TGstation is the only highpop community that offers a Low Roleplay experience. And it's extremely popular. Players and admins alike all expressed their discontent at the idea of unifying LRP and MRP, because they offer different things and players prefer them for different reasons. It doesn't seem right to attempt the same thing by unifying their rulesets through rule 12, when the verdict is already out on what players want from the game.

I think I can agree with you that it'd be nice if there were more RP on the LRP servers. But the way to do that isn't by just shoving MRP rules down people's throats. It takes a more nurturing hand to shift the culture. Running interactive events that encourage and even require roleplay in order to work, on the LRP servers, is a great way to do it. Nations, IRS examinations, like that event that you yourself ran which got all of command together for meetings. There just aren't many admins on Sybil to do that. Event runners are a rare breed, but they are the DMs, and the DMs are the ones that should be leading the server culture into the place you want it to go. Dry enforcement of policies and guidelines, bans and notes, aren't going to get it done.
pretty much agree with the entire sentiment being presented here - i was one of the badmins vehemently against any sort of merge. not just for the sake of preserving mrp, the server i play, but for lrp too, because i agree that the distinction is important between the servers. but i don't think that distinction is in rp designations of lrp/mrp/hrp. i've said constantly that i think it's pointless ever referring to these things. they're nebulous, vague and ultimately a distraction from what people are really trying to highlight.

the rp designations are just player expectations. this is a collaborative, improvisational roleplaying game. for that to take place successfully, there must be some agreed upon expectations to dictate how the improv goes forward. for that we use rp designations. i say we stop doing that. it's not about the "level" of rp but rather the type of rp. as sinful rightly put: lrp is just as much "roleplay" as anything that happens on mrp. it's not more or less it's just different: the story is driven by narrative choices, not characters. when people step into mrp and hrp, they are saying "i want to have more of a right to play my character. the ability to show my character's personality in how i engage with the narrative should be an important aspect of the game." to fulfil that request, the "level" of chaos that other players can freely force on that player through improv needs to be toned down so that the control someone has over their own agency and input in the game increases and they can use that energy in playing their character and making their story more personal.

so really we're dealing with 2 axis here: plot driven vs character driven, and high improv (chaos) vs low improv (structured).

i wrote about this a few years ago in discord of all places:
here's a fucking horrendously bad mock-up i made to illustrate this point about 3 years ago:
NSFW:
i know this is sort of a tangent but i promise i'm trying to go somewhere with this: this is not a battle between "less rp" and "more rp" or how imbibing more of the roleplay juice will turn us all from knuckle dragging cave dwellers into broadway thespians. the argument is simply that lrp creates a different sort of plot-driven roleplay that's more energetic and less compatible with the character-driven narratives of mrp. if we can recognize this truth then we can take steps to nurture it in a way that's conducive to better rp environments on lrp, like sinful proposed, and try to quell this endless battle between the "right" and "wrong" way to instead focus on what the expectations of these cultures truly are.

i ultimately agree with what TBM said too about working the game back to a roleplay oriented mindset - and that's truly all i'm trying to create here. a mindset that's more positive and constructive than having one way which is correct and one way which is wrong. the "lrp" and "mrp" we have are both valuable styles of play that offer different types of stories that can be engaging and meaningful to players. most importantly, at their core, they are about roleplay, whether it's driven by bombastic action-packed narratives or quiet, contemplative character drama or anything in-between. with the current culture it's quite easy to see how mrp is already afforded that patience, now we need to learn how to draw out that same creative energy from lrp and give them a taste of the good stuff too so they can figure this out themselves instead of being hammered into the shape of what we want them to be.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #711360

To be clear, the terms 'LRP', 'MRP', etc are not in the rules and are not accurate descriptors of anything, they are meaningless nonsense, up until someone can point at them in the TG ruleset and tell us all exactly what they mean in the rules (Spoiler: you won't find it). Kindly stop using them, preferably forever.

The moment people stop using them and start talking about the things that actually make the server environments different from each other (and then actually list them out) is the moment they might realize there isn't quite the divide they think there is, and can then focus on actual things that could be improved or used to create a clear distinction in experiences and what to expect on xyz server so people can actually make decisions on what server to play on based on said list.

Or we just continue to go in the same circle that is been around since Manuel was started, that is cool too I guess. I'm not going to stop anyone from doing it.

The TG community does not have any documentation on what to expect roleplay wise on any of the servers, so why do people keep clinging to a sense of identity that just isn't there? Manuel swapped roleplay expectation identities so many times since its creation that I don't even recognize it nor really want to even engage with it. To say 'its MRP' is to downplay the actual aspects of RP that have changed and evolved over time on the server and is honestly just... Missing the entire point. To say 'RP levels have decreased' is also just missing the entire point. Y'all need to consider what specifically changed, what needs to be a constant, what needs to be codified into rulings so people know what to expect, enforce, and hold each other accountable about.

What is actually distinct between the different TG servers in terms of what to expect out of RP? List it all.

I get fucking brainrot and my 'watch for elitism alarm' starts going off every single time I see the RP tag drivel time and time again. There is no point in getting all bent out of shape when someone starts hollering to change expectations up until expectations actually exist, meaning that there aren't any actual expectations to begin with. Up until it is written down in a way as simple as like:

"Terry is a combative mechanics-centric server with high freedom for characters"
"Manuel is a high improv social dialogue-centric server based around problem solving"
"Bagil is a non-serious server based around discovering the game"

Or just actually laying out what LRP, MRP, etc means for TG and incorporating it into the community properly.

Until either of those things happen none of this will mean anything, because there just isn't a line in the sand to be seen anywhere. Every server has had shifting tides across the years, even if some of those waves have been smaller or larger than others, and the actual issues are on a much different scope than some people keep portraying.

Any step in the direction of creating expectations and documented distinction is otherwise always going to be a plus.
Hugs
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #711380

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:58 pm ...
I hope I'm not coming across as validating the labels. I think we fall into them in no small part because people have wildly different, internally varying, and 'fuzzy set' ideas about what they expect with each of the different servers.

At least right now, I think the RP ruleset, which does exist in policy, is trying to carve out a space where Manuel is friendlier to dialogue, gimmicks, social play, cooperation, and structured rounds that give some protection to different games. I haven't played enough between them to give you a between-unit breakdown of Terry, Sibyl, and Bagil, my impression is that they've got cultural differences of their own, but they're all subject to the same more-limited ruleset by contrast to Manuel and Campbell.

That's what I'm getting at when I use 'MRP' and 'LRP' here, but you're entirely right that the labels are not, by-in-large, analytically useful.
dendydoom wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:13 am so really we're dealing with 2 axis here: plot driven vs character driven, and high improv (chaos) vs low improv (structured).

i wrote about this a few years ago in discord of all places:
here's a fucking horrendously bad mock-up i made to illustrate this point about 3 years ago:
NSFW:
i know this is sort of a tangent but i promise i'm trying to go somewhere with this: this is not a battle between "less rp" and "more rp" or how imbibing more of the roleplay juice will turn us all from knuckle dragging cave dwellers into broadway thespians. the argument is simply that lrp creates a different sort of plot-driven roleplay that's more energetic and less compatible with the character-driven narratives of mrp. if we can recognize this truth then we can take steps to nurture it in a way that's conducive to better rp environments on lrp, like sinful proposed, and try to quell this endless battle between the "right" and "wrong" way to instead focus on what the expectations of these cultures truly are.
I'm not sure Sibyl, Basil, or Terry want or need the change - I'm not well-qualified to comment there, but I take sinful's words and the responses from the ruleset merger thread as supporting evidence - and I'm opposed to any 'civilizing mission' towards them if they work for the people there to have a good time.

I agree with pretty much all of what you propose about how to think about this though, and I'd say the framework you offered there is a Hell of a lot more useful than any label.

One of the reasons I think Manuel seems to get higher consistent pops, I suspect, is that it offers a bigger tent in terms of the expectations it nominally and practically serves with a server like Terry. You still can have an action-packed round with chaos and trouble. You can also have slower, more deliberate stuff, at least some of the time, as a function of policy protection, server culture, and the conditions on the ground. It potentially serves a lot more interests, but because the way those interests interact with each other at least some of the time - i.e., with a person playing one game, usually the mechanical/antag-driven game, or in the 'station is a rapidly-degenerating shithole beset by a congaline of disruptive mechanical mishaps' sequence of events built to provide mechanical content and variety for that mechanical/antag-driven game - you get places of friction where those games on different parts of the range of expectations do not play nicely together.

an abomination edit/update of the mockup trying to illustrate what I see
► Show Spoiler
Because everybody has different individual expectations, here, what this is to say is that you're fundamentally dealing with a fuzzy set rather than a crisp set, and people can show up with different day-to-day expectations. Hell, for some people, not knowing what they're going to get in any given day is part of the expectation. What I've tried to map out above is that there are places where the expectations probably overlap between the different servers and other areas where they don't. In the case of two servers like Manuel and Terry, however, people playing according to the expectations in the Terry space on the Manuel space might be entirely within the rules but entirely out of synch with the expectations of others who do not go to Terry.

fuzzy sets vs. crisp sets
► Show Spoiler
By contrast, I suspect, the expectations are much more crisp and basically well-defined on servers to which the RP ruleset does not apply. You play them, you know what you're going to get. It's appealing to be able to be everything on Manuel, but it also means that you'll less be able to be any one thing reliably.

That's sort of your bind here, and it works out that way because the more mechanical, antag/plot/'competitive' games played on Terry are totalizing: they can force the issue over people who show up to play less competitive games. This is as much true for gamer sec jumping somebody doing a bit as it is for an unrestricted antag walking into the library and shooting dead somebody who's been working on a painting/book all round. In both cases, though, there's an added bind where it might be entirely legit for them to do so from an IC perspective: a xeno doesn't care about your painting, we might imagine, and an officer probably shouldn't let somebody else get criminally abused or the station made more insecure 'because it's funny.'

A lot of the time people will act in favor of their gentler natures and not wild out on others playing a different, less-competitive game even when it might not jive with their characters, at least on Manuel, in my experience, but Manuel under the RP ruleset, as a big-tent, still allows for those competitive games, and they're still totalizing when people choose to play them over the preferences of others.

That's the most difficult situation to reach on Manuel right now: when somebody chooses to force the game to basically treat everyone else on the server as an NPC in their game, in a lot of cases, they're still protected never mind what other people on the server are doing or there for at any given moment. If the starting assumption is that we're all going to do that to others if we get the opportunity, nobody's expectations are going to be violated when somebody goes on a murderbone spree - we'll just shrug, accept the schadenfreude, maybe credit the person on the other side for their skill, and wait for our turn with a plan how to kick their teeth in next time.

That is a much less satisfying way to cope when you might've gone to play DnD in the library or have some sort of character-centric scene in the bar or build a dumb project rather than rushing for mechanical advantage at roundstart.

I think one of the ways to minimize this sort of incongruity between expectations is to require escalation or some sort of reliable telegraphing in a round about what kinds of games are going to be valid to play there. Threat levels are unreliable as fuck for this even if admins don't press buttons to 'spice things up.' War Ops is a great example of telegraphing done right because when it gets called, everybody is presented with a stark choice about whether to engage or not, and a clear picture of the game with which they're engaging. War Ops rounds ime involve a lot less salt as long as it isn't three or four in a row - you know what you're going to get.

It's harder to do this when part of the games people are playing sometimes - the social deduction game, the 'paranoid survival sim' game, whatever - are premised on you not knowing what you're going to have to deal with - but I think it can be better handled by setting time aside for more guaranteed, quieter rounds, at least some of the time, and giving people a say when their expectations are going to be subverted (that is to say: if you're going to spice up a greenshift where all the headbanger gamers committed suicide and left as soon as it was announced, run a vote or read the room first. It doesn't have to be specific, even just 'y'all feeling like big buffalos or little bitty babies today?')

I tried to do this and proposed to do it manually over on Bubberstation in the past, but it was roundly rejected at the time because it 1. relied on a massive amount of manual admin DMing/lifting for which there was no trust or buy-in and 2. because it proposed to compromise on the mechanical, antag-centric game, at least some of the time, even at the much more limited extent to which the rules allowed it at the time I proposed to change the system. You can read the abortive planning doc about how I was going to do this, and basically how I ran things in-game behind the scenes, here - the 'Mild-Medium-Wild' system.

I think we're in a similar dilemma here. The place that powergaming/play-to-win behavior fits in the servers and rulesets is inextricably tied to the sorts of games we want to validate and foster.
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #711746

Competitive? Unless you're an antag, if you find yourself wondering what you were supposed to do that round:

This goes double if you're sec, because their shirts are red. The antags are the main characters.

This ain't amogus or call of duty, this a round based MUD. If you wanna play SS13 competitively either play TGMC or make your competitive nature something that's funny to at least one person other than yourself.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #711764

conrad wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:35 pm This ain't amogus or call of duty, this a round based MUD. If you wanna play SS13 competitively either play TGMC or make your competitive nature something that's funny to at least one person other than yourself.
The rules don't require making your play fun for the other side for antags. They should not require it of everyone else until they do for antags too.

Everyone should have meaningful choices about how to engage with the game.The game should be fun for everyone involved - even dying and losing - and the way you get to that is by making how you play have as great a possible impact over how you end up alive, or dead, or wherever you might end up relative to the goals you might set for yourself separately.

When the rule is that antags and random capricious bullshit can and will kill you freely to the exclusion of any goal you might've had, you have much less of a chance of any goal you choose besides killing/stopping the antags and gaming hard being something you can pursue with any question of success or satisfaction.

When this is the case, instead, it becomes increasingly meaningful - the only thing that matters at the end of the day - how well you can stand up to and compete with antags and random mechanical chaos across the round. How do you fight the war ops to win? How do you manage the three different kinds of antags running around besides the blob - do you shoot them on-sight before they can backstab you, or honor fighting alongside them until it's done? Do you go into a room alone with somebody or not?

In all cases, the freedom and posited goals of the other side may very well end up with you dead and out of the game until you're mercifully recycled into a midround or ghost role. If you don't play this game, you do so at your own peril. The choice about fundamentally WHAT you are doing shrinks massively relative to HOW you do it.

If the presumption is that what you do should not matter,
and the design is that how you fight back will not matter, there's no reason to keep your client open if you don't get antag.

At that point, just make all the nonantag crew into basic mobs.

Asymmetry is fine - lots of people enjoy asymmetrical slashers - but asking the vast majority of people in any round to play to lose to fluff the minority of the players in a competitive game is dogshit design, DMing, and philosophy.

Until there's something higher than a floor bar on what an antagonist is and what they can do, pointed at a game other than the one where they can practically treat everyone else as NPCs, tg SS13 - even on Manuel - is in no small part a competitive game.

e1: A good way to think about this in tabletop terms is if I'm DMing an orc warband that attacks the party, I can choose to do that and will, fully admitting the possibility that the orcs all die and things go badly for them, because I'm not playing against my players for the orcs to win - I'm playing the orcs for them to have fun.

If my players are tactical wargamers who are very into the mechanics, I will emphasize the fighting and fight a lot harder with those orcs - I'll make them a much more credible threat - in order to bring out that game for my players. I will kill their asses. Harsh competition is actually cooperative - if that's what they showed up for - and they'd be cheated if they felt like they were wading through a meaningless fight.

If they're more about narrative storytelling and chewing the scenery, I'm probably not going to sweat the orcs being an intense mechanical challenge as much as an effective and believable beat in the story, - a way to give the players a sense of danger, up the tension, establish a fact around which they'll orient their characters in the world, or pose some sort of interesting dilemma (orc babies, what do?) It's less important to emphasize the mechanical resolution of how the orcs die or there even being a question of their death than their overall effect in how those players' narrative choices are made to matter because they decided to take this quest, follow this path, give away their travel plans to the half-orc spy in the last town... etc.

In both cases, the orcs might die, and that's entirely fine by me, because I'm not personally playing against my players except to the extent that it makes it fun to play the game they showed up for. I'm the DM - that's my game. The orcs die and the game I'm playing with my friends goes on.

This would not be the case if I was just playing one orc and had to leave the room after it died. You can guess that I'd probably fight like Hell if I was playing that orc, and telling me "no you're just supposed to fall over and die, you get smited/another midround shows up/the changeling gets back up/the ERT shows up to shoot you dead before you can hijack and greentext" would have me asking you "why the Hell did I show up for this?

To bookend this: you need to have meaningful choices on both sides for the game to be fun. The one-sided application of rules and rulings about powergaming, validhunting, or even more nebulously "playing to win" makes player choice less meaningful and should be avoided, especially when all sides showed up to play the same game to begin with.

It's fucking cheap to roll the station on Manuel knowing that the people on the other side are being told to hold back and might not have shown up planning to fight like there's no more space in Noah's ark and it just started raining - but as far as I can tell, it is allowed.