Does type baiting apply to action windows?

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Does type baiting apply to action windows?

Post by Timonk » #705274

Related: viewtopic.php?p=667957#p667957

During a recent round that I played on Manuel as captain I hid in a bin and waited for a nukie to open the action window to eject me from it so I could jump out and stun him. (It never happened, they fluked)

Now that I read the type baiting ruling I was wondering: should we extend the ruling to things like this?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: Does type baiting apply to action windows?

Post by Vekter » #705275

We ruled at one point that someone handing you a piece of paper and asking you to read it before blowing your head off was funny/valid, so I imagine this is also okay.

The problem with typebaiting is the meta aspect of it, not the act itself. Opening a window could be seen as someone looking down to interact with the device/computer they're in front of, which is a valid distraction IMO.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #705281

nah.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #705283

Now here's the kicker
► Show Spoiler
Wouldn't type baiting be considered the same as action baiting irl? You walk up to someone, ask them a innocent question and then just start shanking them while they are trying to answer?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #705285

Timonk wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:45 pm Now here's the kicker
► Show Spoiler
Wouldn't type baiting be considered the same as action baiting irl? You walk up to someone, ask them a innocent question and then just start shanking them while they are trying to answer?
would they have to close their typing window to stop you?
respect (let him do his thing)
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #705287

kinnebian wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:49 pm
► Show Spoiler
No but you don't have action windows irl either (that you have to usually close in-game to fight back)
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #705289

Timonk wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:50 pm
kinnebian wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:49 pm
► Show Spoiler
No but you don't have action windows irl either (that you have to usually close in-game to fight back)
no but the point being made was like the action windows being an tablet or something that you have to drop or put away
respect (let him do his thing)
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #705301

No, the logic behind this is that the chat window is an ooc window, while an action window like a pda screen is an ic window.

In the original thread on this topic I said I think it's ridiculous to base rules compliance based on the ic/ooc state of a window in another person's HUD but no one else seems to agree with me on that one, so here we are.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #705305

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:57 am In the original thread on this topic I said I think it's ridiculous to base rules compliance based on the ic/ooc state of a window in another person's HUD but no one else seems to agree with me on that one, so here we are.
Let me see if I can explain it in a way that makes sense.

Baiting someone into reading something so you can attack them has meaningful counter-play. If someone comes up to you and asks you to read a book, you have a reason to be suspicious of this action. You have a meaningful choice you can make to either trust them and read it or not trust them and don't. That choice might not matter much in the long run, but it's still a choice.

Typebaiting sucks because it doesn't have a realistic counter. It's punishing you for doing something that is reasonably expected of 96% of players that wouldn't get you shot in the vast majority of situations. There's very little reason to ever be paranoid of someone who's asking you a simple question, and if there was (ie: if typebaiting was allowed), it would be severely unhealthy for the game. Paranoia is important, but you shouldn't be so paranoid you aren't actively roleplaying with people. You could argue that most people wouldn't use typebaiting as a tactic if it was permitted, but I've seen what this community does for an advantage in combat, we're not above anything*.

tl;dr You can be suspicious of someone telling you to read something but you probably won't be of someone asking you a question, so that's the main distinction aside from IC/OOC reasoning.

* This isn't a bad thing, mind, just an observation.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #705333

I was under the impression that a previous term ruled that type baiting wasn't actually against the rules because it was a BITCH to enforce
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #705335

Vekter wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:07 am
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:57 am In the original thread on this topic I said I think it's ridiculous to base rules compliance based on the ic/ooc state of a window in another person's HUD but no one else seems to agree with me on that one, so here we are.
tl;dr You can be suspicious of someone telling you to read something but you probably won't be of someone asking you a question, so that's the main distinction aside from IC/OOC reasoning.
It's also purely a limitation of playing a text based game, where typing and moving is not easy. In real life, if someone asks you a question, it's not very distracting to answer, talking is mindless compared to typing, you're not locked in place, etc. It doesn't actually take any attention to speak really.

Comparatively, "What do you think of this book?" If I want to answer I need to put my eyes on the book and start reading

TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #705341

DaydreamIQ wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:21 pm I was under the impression that a previous term ruled that type baiting wasn't actually against the rules because it was a BITCH to enforce
it's downright maidenless behavior and if I can prove someone is doing it, it's a banneru.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #705502

I feel like making it a habit to force people to be wary to interact with you or do things in your presence because you bait them like that is an equal problem. I don't think timonk's example counts, thats just uncontrollable to a degree, it's not like you weren't in an active combat already. But I can think of a few instances where it would be applicable. Like paper or pdas.

Both remove focus from the game window because the game presently lacks in-game UI components and is still technically leveraging a game limitation that involves a degree of communication or involved interaction to get a near uncontestable edge, with the only counterplay being to not interact. Why would we think it okay to trick someone into reading a screen filling window, like a piece of paper, and not okay to open the much smaller window that is the talk box, despite both being methods of communication and both remove window focus and filling the screen? The reason we do not want typebaiting is because it is exploiting an engine limitation.

I think making exceptions is foolish. If you're openly abusing things like this in poor fashion regularly, I see no reason as to not believe it is done in bad faith and you should be spoken too.

To believe there is somehow a different in these windows is also completely nonsense they're all popups. All UI elements. There is no IC windows, its just UI. There is a sprite that pops up as you're speaking, does that somehow justify talkbaiting?
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #705528

Sightld2 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:04 pmIt's also purely a limitation of playing a text based game, where typing and moving is not easy. In real life, if someone asks you a question, it's not very distracting to answer, talking is mindless compared to typing, you're not locked in place, etc. It doesn't actually take any attention to speak really.

Comparatively, "What do you think of this book?" If I want to answer I need to put my eyes on the book and start reading
I think Sight puts it in the most concise way. Papers, books, PDAs or what have you make sense to be somewhat obstructive to your next immediate action, because in a RL scenario, you'd be deviating your attention (eyes, hands to be holding them up, even), while you could fully see what a person is doing if they approach and just ask you a question.

Taking advantage the moment the speech bubble pops up is a blatant abuse of the game mechanic of not being able to move while speaking, which has no parallel on a real life situation.

Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #705562

NecromancerAnne wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:21 am I feel like making it a habit to force people to be wary to interact with you or do things in your presence because you bait them like that is an equal problem.
Seconding the concern.
► Show Spoiler
---

Typebaiting with speech is the same in kind as handing somebody a book to read, asking them to look at a console, or sending them a PDA message to reply to (or better yet an attached image) before fragging them.

The fact you can't walk and talk is a game engine limitation, but disadvantages around those other things are too. The fact you can only see and talk to people in 7-10 meters of you without otherwise using a radio or binoculars is an engine limitation.

It's pointless to split hairs here. It's more useful to ask what you want to protect by putting guardrails around talking to people to begin with and come up with a more general rule about how conflict can be started, on what grounds, etc.

A traitor doming you wordlessly with no esc or an officer wordlessly batonning you on sight aren't so far different from them saying "is your refrigerator running?" or waiting for you to use the radio, start talking to someone else, before they leap in to do it while you're disadvantaged*.

Edit because it just occurred to me: what makes the choice to never talk to people face-to-face or to use the text bar (rather than the hotkey which throws TI) any less meaningful or valid of a choice under the conditions of the game?
feedback appreciated here <3
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #705582

the IC parallel argument doesnt really hold because the idea that I would take my full focus away from someone potentially suspicious is absurd, especially when looking at a handheld object or something.

If youre using mechanics of the OOC game such as a window popup that takes focus from the game itself, I think that is also cruddy/overtly gamey behavior that if proven youre doing it specifically because of an OOC aspect then you should be noted for it. I assumed that is what the spirit of the rule is trying to curb, and it feels fairly arbitrary if that aspect is ignored simply because its not being done specifically through talking.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #705587

You can walk and talk, but it's pretty awkward moving and trying to spell stuff correctly.
Anyways it makes enough sense to distract someone with a paper, you could move it out of the way of your screen anyways as like a analogue to giving someone the side eye while reading it.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #705588

I think the reason this was ruled as unenforceable is because it’s quite literally impossible to prove unless you are an admin orbiting one of the two parties in the type-bait encounter. Completely impossible to retroactively verify in the logs.

If this became bannable you’d open up pandora’s box allowing everyone who’s killed to get a fruitless investigation launched over their killer, “they baited me into X Y Z then killed me,” good way to weaponize admins against people who get you angry in the spaceman game.
Spoiler:
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #705604

i am not personally interested in the mess that enforcing this would entail, and the idea of giving someone a piece of paper that says 'i am going to shoot you' and shooting them when they read it seems funny.
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #705614

Vekter wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:07 am Typebaiting sucks because it doesn't have a realistic counter. It's punishing you for doing something that is reasonably expected of 96% of players that wouldn't get you shot in the vast majority of situations. There's very little reason to ever be paranoid of someone who's asking you a simple question, and if there was (ie: if typebaiting was allowed), it would be severely unhealthy for the game. Paranoia is important, but you shouldn't be so paranoid you aren't actively roleplaying with people. You could argue that most people wouldn't use typebaiting as a tactic if it was permitted, but I've seen what this community does for an advantage in combat, we're not above anything*.

* This isn't a bad thing, mind, just an observation.
it absolutely does have a counter, it's called using electronic comms and being a paranoid, antisocial motherfucker until you absolutely can't do otherwise - that's what you get pushed towards anyway rn, keeping people at a distance and not standing perpendicular to any solid object.

short of typebaiting being allowed, I think a lot of people just bypass even needing that to run it down into mechanics. that possibility is just as corrosive to having people do things that you might consider as them 'actively roleplaying' if not much more than typebaiting, which is just a slightly cheaper grab at a tactical advantage you could get by waiting for a person to talk to anyone else, stop to do/look at anything in public, etc.
sinfulbliss wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:32 am I think the reason this was ruled as unenforceable is because it’s quite literally impossible to prove unless you are an admin orbiting one of the two parties in the type-bait encounter. Completely impossible to retroactively verify in the logs.

If this became bannable you’d open up pandora’s box allowing everyone who’s killed to get a fruitless investigation launched over their killer, “they baited me into X Y Z then killed me,” good way to weaponize admins against people who get you angry in the spaceman game.
it's doable with typing indicator logs (source: skyrat, bubberstation) but it's a bitch and a half even with self-triggered combat indicators (logged separately under game and attack logs,) which are a massive policy headache and severely compromise the game. even discussing typebaiting raises the specter of similar questions like 'how long is long enough after someone stops typing for you to run their shit?' 'how do you know if they're talking to answer you or call for help?' 'are you entitled to any protections if you start the conversation or try to pick it up and they attack you while you're typing?'
feedback appreciated here <3
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #705616

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:00 am i am not personally interested in the mess that enforcing this would entail, and the idea of giving someone a piece of paper that says 'i am going to shoot you' and shooting them when they read it seems funny.
There doesn't have to be much done. Just handle it in the same way we handle talkbaiting, which already is a difficult to prove without someone observing a player. If someone earns themselves a reputation of baiting interactions, they are usually well earned. We're typically the last people to discover this unless an admin happens to be a victim of it. And one off incidents aren't something we necessarily do anything over anyway, it is patterned behaviour, even though I would never interact with a player like that again in-game even after the first incident simply because I cannot be sure if it is a pattern or not and that player will almost certainly exploit my leniency.

If someone makes it a frequent issue, where they seem to be deliberately leaning on it to get an edge and they are known for it enough that other players begin to stop interacting with them whatsoever or else that player may exploit the interaction, they are very obviously breaking Rule 1. There is nothing that need be done beyond this. I'll be extremely wary about enabling this behaviour openly and pidgeon-holing the ruling to just talking.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #705617

NecromancerAnne wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:01 am
TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:00 am i am not personally interested in the mess that enforcing this would entail, and the idea of giving someone a piece of paper that says 'i am going to shoot you' and shooting them when they read it seems funny.
There doesn't have to be much done. Just handle it in the same way we handle talkbaiting, which already is a difficult to prove without someone observing a player. If someone earns themselves a reputation of baiting interactions, they are usually well earned. We're typically the last people to discover this unless an admin happens to be a victim of it. And one off incidents aren't something we necessarily do anything over anyway, it is patterned behaviour, even though I would never interact with a player like that again in-game even after the first incident simply because I cannot be sure if it is a pattern or not and that player will almost certainly exploit my leniency.

If someone makes it a frequent issue, where they seem to be deliberately leaning on it to get an edge and they are known for it enough that other players begin to stop interacting with them whatsoever or else that player may exploit the interaction, they are very obviously breaking Rule 1. There is nothing that need be done beyond this. I'll be extremely wary about enabling this behaviour openly and pidgeon-holing the ruling to just talking.
pretty much. if it becomes an issue, it needs to be handled as rule 1, not some special clause buried in the rules that say it's okay when x or y criteria is met.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #705618

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:07 am pretty much. if it becomes an issue, it needs to be handled as rule 1, not some special clause buried in the rules that say it's okay when x or y criteria is met.
The typebaiting policy is pretty restrictive to typebaiting in the headmin ruling page though, the policy needs to be expanded on because right now it is exactly that.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #705676

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:07 am pretty much. if it becomes an issue, it needs to be handled as rule 1, not some special clause buried in the rules that say it's okay when x or y criteria is met.
Cobby's point is why i would be cautious about how exactly you phrase accepting the behavior so readily. We do not have coverage for abuse on this. It is a tentative abuse risk should it come up. It hasn't as far as I am aware, but I'm sure someone will get inspired. Especially if it isn't cautioned against and someone sees this thread and sees you being so openly inviting of it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #706282

if you cant type at full speed with only your left hand (or use hotkey mode) you should be permabanned
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #706365

PKPenguin321 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:08 am if you cant type at full speed with only your left hand (or use hotkey mode) you should be permabanned
god based
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #706367

Nah, I think it's funny. You have your face full of buttons while the guy clubs you upside the head.

Typebaiting rules exist 'cos a spacemens mouth and feet are located in the same general keyboard area.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #706369

I'm honestly of the mindset that if someone is reading a book and you hit them with combat mode on, you should shove the book in their face and blind them for a second.
Spoiler:

chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #706406

PKPenguin321 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:08 am if you cant type at full speed with only your left hand (or use hotkey mode) you should be permabanned
You use your right hand for movement?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #706412

Cobby wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:32 am
The typebaiting policy is pretty restrictive to typebaiting in the headmin ruling page though, the policy needs to be expanded on because right now it is exactly that.
The headmin ruling is irrelevant to the enforcement of typebaiting, speaking as a headmin from the term that set in motion the wheels to enforce typebaiting. Typebaiting was handled under metagaming beforehand and there are typebaiting notes that predate the official headmin ruling. This hasn't stopped being the case, it's just now admins have a sign they can clearly tap. This is partly because we've created a culture where the admins feel they can't handle shitty player behaviour without having one of 150 individual rulings to point to as a gotcha.

Expanding or changing the ruling isn't really the stopper for admins enforcing typebaiting. The stopper is proving or evidencing typebaiting, which is non-trivial. Nothing you can put in the headmin rulings page will change this fact beyond loosening the requirements to allowing players to be noted/banned on less evidence or a mere suspicion and removing defenses like accident or coincidence.

On a different note, please let's limit adding more piss to the genuine sea of piss that we call the headmin rulings page.

It now has so many "This thing that breaks Rule X is against the rules"-style rulings that its primary purpose is now to document gotcha technicalities. I back TBM's approach of common sense administration instead of thousands-of-rules-for-every-occasion administration-by-wiki.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #706509

Typebaiting is OOC in IC because it uses the OOC knowledge of a spacemen needing to type to speak in order to gain an unfair IC advantage. Someone burying their face in a book or console is IC, and not a part of typebaiting.

Cheshify - IC issue
Fikou - "I don't want policy on this, invites rools [sic] lawyering."
TheBibleMelts "^"
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta