Discord Bwoinks

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Discord Bwoinks

Post by sinfulbliss » #706426

So, I’m not sure how many people know about this, but recently I have found it more and more common to get “Discord bwoinks.” For those unaware: if you’re on the TG Discord and someone ahelps you while you’re off the game, admins can actually create a private thread and interrogate you on the Discord.

I find this very problematic. Discord should not be treated like a new venue to administrate for the spaceman game. People use Discord as a way to talk to friends or chat, and to force someone to engage in a potentially long argument with admins while they’re on a social platform like Discord, or risk being noted/banned, is kinda fucked. It’s admin overreach into a private sphere where players have absolutely zero obligation to talk to you, unlike the game servers where it’s presumed the player ought reply to bwoinks if they have a defense.

What admins used to do when the other party d/c’d was wait to bwoink them later in-game. If you ahelped something from several rounds ago, admins often just didn’t bother with it if the player left. But lately I have gotten Discord tickets opened asking me some specific thing about a round as long as a week ago. I don’t think this is at all reasonable, and it’s a shame leaving the Discord is the sole solution. I propose this practice either be taken out or players not be expected to reply to it as they would an in-game bwoink.
Spoiler:
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: Discord Bwoinks

Post by Timberpoes » #706428

It's optional and used as an alternative when a player is offline in-game to just noting or banning them in absence and dragging them to the forums.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #706430

sinfulbliss wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:45 pm So, I’m not sure how many people know about this, but recently I have found it more and more common to get “Discord bwoinks.” For those unaware: if you’re on the TG Discord and someone ahelps you while you’re off the game, admins can actually create a private thread and interrogate you on the Discord.

I find this very problematic. Discord should not be treated like a new venue to administrate for the spaceman game. People use Discord as a way to talk to friends or chat, and to force someone to engage in a potentially long argument with admins while they’re on a social platform like Discord, or risk being noted/banned, is kinda fucked. It’s admin overreach into a private sphere where players have absolutely zero obligation to talk to you, unlike the game servers where it’s presumed the player ought reply to bwoinks if they have a defense.

What admins used to do when the other party d/c’d was wait to bwoink them later in-game. If you ahelped something from several rounds ago, admins often just didn’t bother with it if the player left. But lately I have gotten Discord tickets opened asking me some specific thing about a round as long as a week ago. I don’t think this is at all reasonable, and it’s a shame leaving the Discord is the sole solution. I propose this practice either be taken out or players not be expected to reply to it as they would an in-game bwoink.
our discord server is an extension of our game server, the game servers are not a vacuum wherein all activity that happens is unable to have consequences on said discord servers. this 'discord bwoinking' is done with such rarity that i didn't even know it was a thing, and i've never seen an admin use it as a first-resort tool in their belt, but i think a lot of players would appreciate it over trying to log-in to the game server to discover they were banned for being unable to plead their case, and needing to go through the trouble of an appeal to do so. this thread reads as "i'm upset i got discord messaged over an adminhelp ingame about my behavior, nobody should suffer as I have", which seems like a pretty selfish cause for a policy change.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #706432

brought it up to fikou/chesh, they're of similar mind regarding not removing this function.

fikou added that you're free to say you're not interested in responding to the discord ticket the same as any ahelp, but you'll be treated the same as if you were otherwise unavailable/uncooperative for a ticket.