Restore LRP Threat Level Back to How It Was

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Restore LRP Threat Level Back to How It Was

Post by sinfulbliss » #707150

Polls showed most players prefer high-med threat. So why was threat was lowered across the board right after polls came out?

Makes sense for an MRP environment to have lower threat but why is it lowered globally when that's directly against what the polls showed? It makes it seem like the poll results aren't being considered.

Also, I think headmins should announce config changes publicly rather than in a private Discord. There's a thread for this even: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14828&start=50
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: Restore LRP Threat Level Back to How It Was

Post by Vekter » #707153

They did it explicitly to make you think there's a conspiracy against LRP.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #707163

I feel like the poll should've been chaos level, then amount of antagonists. There was a time during the near end of the last headmin term in which threat was massive (see here viewtopic.php?f=85&t=34921). If I am honest here, I really don't want dynamic to shit out threat again, it made every single round feel the exact same with the same miserable slog of roundstart ling trains, a malf ai/nukies/wizard, and I just really didn't find it fun at all, and I don't think anyone will find it fun when the novelty of high threat wears off.
DATAxPUNGED
Byond Username: DATAxPUNGED

Post by DATAxPUNGED » #707168

I wish the poll differentiated between people who voted on LRP and MRP, but this is tangential to the discussion
- Brazilian Manuel Player

TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #707173

I took a gander at current dynamic data, from 10 rounds our current threat is about roundstart threat : 19.3, threat level: 33.5. This is just an average and its just from 10 rounds from one day. Personally I feel like this might be on the low end? I don't really want dynamic to shoot back up to 70 threat level, with 50 spent roundstart on average though. Ideally I would say to shift dynamic more towards the 40-60 range.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #707175

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:30 am Image

Polls showed most players prefer high-med threat. So why was threat was lowered across the board right after polls came out?
I didn't actually make the changes, but as far as I'm aware dynamic is more of an art than a science. MRP has config changes we're testing to make it better suited for the environment, as well as LRP.

I think the poll is a good information point about player perception that should be taken into consideration when making adjustments to dynamic. Note that no questions had any numbers about threat levels and just generalized statements, because as much as this feels like a numbers game, it's more of a perception game.

Anyways, I'll be passing this feedback around because I do think it matters, and if LRP players are perceiving too little chaos, then that's an issue.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #707190

HARD Agree with sin. Threat feels kinda low now.

Was this change made off the back of any policy thread or anything or are you just testing the waters
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #707237

Honestly we need low-threat antagonists to be able to contribute more to the ongoing chaos.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #707266

I also agree with Sin.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #707338

Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:11 am Honestly we need low-threat antagonists to be able to contribute more to the ongoing chaos.
I think this is honestly the biggest issue Dynamic has right now. There's few threats the game can introduce that don't lead to large-scale issues later on.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #707593

on mrp I have been making people into syndicate agents via custom antag and giving them an uplink with a strict limit of tc, then feeding them objectives that i set based on what the syndicate want to achieve ICly and what's happening in the round, and communicate these via headset messages as a "secure one-way channel from the mothercruiser" it has worked out a lot better and created much better narratives than randomly escalating acts of chaos

but this feels like a specifically mrp solution
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #708822

dendydoom wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:39 pm on mrp I have been making people into syndicate agents via custom antag and giving them an uplink with a strict limit of tc, then feeding them objectives that i set based on what the syndicate want to achieve ICly and what's happening in the round, and communicate these via headset messages as a "secure one-way channel from the mothercruiser" it has worked out a lot better and created much better narratives than randomly escalating acts of chaos

but this feels like a specifically mrp solution
This is based and stuff like this needs to be done by admins more.

Recently mrp player shave been complaining about dynamic, but thats because we have seen 4 nukie rounds in a row and then the next day having two/three nukie rounds in a row with a cult round afterwards. People are fed up over there! we need more syndies and heretics and less dragons, cults, revs, nukies, whatnot in manuel. Having many nukie rounds in a row absolutely causes people to go insane and start quitting the game for the day or suiciding near roundstart for the smallest things its insane. People are complaining about bad rp now but its because we keep getting nukie rounds!

Maybe its different for other times of the day when I am not playing but 4 nukie rounds in a row is not healthy, I bet even for lrp.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #708851

RNG is RNG. That being said, LRP does need the threat boost. Give me a nightmare to live through, the best moments are always during a crisis.
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #711387

We feel for now leaning slightly to the right of 50 threat like Timberpoes said seems like a good model, seeing stuff like high/low threat round after round is more of an issue with codebase dynamic being pure enclosed RNG without caring about what happened the previous shift.

Fikou, Cheshify, TBM: +1