proper moth naming policy

EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

proper moth naming policy

Post by EmpressMaia » #707495

im tired of seeing "moth 'moff' moff' and incomprehinsible names like 'blub beezlegub'

i like moths with single word abstract names and spacey sounding names. notable memories are 'prophecies' and 'ferni paradox'
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: proper moth naming policy

Post by Jacquerel » #707503

I don't really expect this to go anywhere because nobody likes writing naming policy, following naming policy, enforcing naming policy, or having naming policy enforced on them.
GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Post by GPeckman » #707504

IIRC, the incomprehensible names are just genera of IRL moths. Names like that are what the random name generator will give you, and as far as I'm aware it's considered the gold standard for current moth naming policy, much like Verbs-the-Nouns names for lizards.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #707507

Naming policy is mostly vibes-based and a lot of admins don't want to codify an actual naming policy because they don't want to stifle creativity. If we did, we'd have to get rid of moth names like Lamp or felinids named Meow, things like that.

If you genuinely think a moth name is too outside of what's reasonable, feel free to adminhelp it, but it's going to be admin discretion for the most part.

Ironically, I think the Mothington guys on Sybil aren't actually moths? I assume that's who you're talking about.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Post by Jackraxxus » #707542

It's in the lore
To allow identification within human society, moths are eventually required to pick their own legally recognized name. Some regard this as a meaningless formality and will pick at random, while others, seeing it as an opportunity to further exploit their amicable appearance, may choose a name that humans could find cute or amusing, much to the chagrin of the officials that have to approve the requests.
Moths having weird and wacky names is based and redpilled.
You can pry Soup (VALID MOTH NAME BTW!!!!) from my cold, dead hands.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #707544

Why are we debating this when the existing policy is more than sufficient?

Moth names MUST be moth-related OR a lamp/lighting pun.

Some acceptable moth-related examples are:
- Moff Tarkin
- Motthew
- Fluttershy

Some acceptable lamp/lighting pun examples are:
- Laemp
- Lightbulb
- Sparky
- Bonks-The-Lights
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Post by Jackraxxus » #707556

Atlanta-Ned but with no quote because you don't deserve a (You) for this bait wrote: Why are we debating this when the existing policy is more than sufficient?

Moth names MUST be moth-related OR a lamp/lighting pun.

Some acceptable moth-related examples are:
- Moff Tarkin
- Motthew
- Fluttershy

Some acceptable lamp/lighting pun examples are:
- Laemp
- Lightbulb
- Sparky
- Bonks-The-Lights
I think you will find :nerd: that the (closest thing we have to a) current moth naming policy is
Spookuni wrote: Moths: Moth names generally consist of some combination of latin words (primarily moth taxonomic names strung together), but receive a specific exemption to have any character name (justified in character as a nickname) they like that does not violate the general requirements to comply with rules 3, 8 and 11 (a minimum of effort is however still required even for silly moth names to ensure we don’t end up with 53 moths named “lamp” and 78 moths named “moth”)
And personally I believe this is how it should stay. Removing naming freedom from moths would make individual moths less unique and memorable. The last round I played there was a moth named EightBall, whose gimmick was speaking only in eight-ball responses, and emoting the rest of the time. I fucking loved this character, but this proposed rule would replace them with boring "LampMothLightFlapper #2163462357". Sad!
Last edited by Jackraxxus on Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #707564

There is no moth naming policy you could write that would not be exceedingly boring for no real gain in comparison to what it is now
Moths being able to be named all sorts of silly goofy dumb shit is one of the more charming parts about them
Im not biased btw
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #707570

All Moths must be named Soup
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #707630

moth naming policy proposal:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #707680

Moths should be encouraged to have fun with their names.
Elaborating: Let admins nuke the stupid and OOC names, you have a fun species with cool Common Core lore that you can do plenty with. Let moths stay broad and ripe for creativity while avoiding dumb shit.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #707765

Vekter wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:16 pm Naming policy is mostly vibes-based and a lot of admins don't want to codify an actual naming policy because they don't want to stifle creativity. If we did, we'd have to get rid of moth names like Lamp or felinids named Meow, things like that.
How is it stifling creativity to get rid of moth names like Lamp or felinids named Meow? I feel like you miswrote your post or I'm misreading it somehow because those names sound very unoriginal.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #707767

BlueMemesauce wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:10 am
Vekter wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:16 pm Naming policy is mostly vibes-based and a lot of admins don't want to codify an actual naming policy because they don't want to stifle creativity. If we did, we'd have to get rid of moth names like Lamp or felinids named Meow, things like that.
How is it stifling creativity to get rid of moth names like Lamp or felinids named Meow? I feel like you miswrote your post or I'm misreading it somehow because those names sound very unoriginal.
Well, if an admin feels that they aren't creative or they're in bad faith, they're allowed to ask that player to change their name. Most admins don't care to do so because we're more worried about preventing people from having names like Adolf Hitler or Faggot McDickpunch than we are policing simple but less inventive names.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #709177

No one on the headmin team wants this