How much does the crew know about abandoned crates

EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

How much does the crew know about abandoned crates

Post by EmpressMaia » #709116

A week or so ago I had a round where a mime ran up to my brig and was pulling a abandoned crate, batoned them when they got into the brig doors. An admin later bwoinks me about how it was probably not the best response

Does the crew know that the abandoned crates detonate and should they be treated as a explosive device automatically?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Re: How much does the crew know about abandoned crates

Post by sinfulbliss » #709117

Is the issue whether you should have batonned the Mime? Because anyone entering brig without access is getting batonned, not sure what the admin was smoking.

E: I get the policy question now also. I’d say they shouldn’t be treated as explosives administratively unless it’s clear the player is intentionally trying to use them as such (i.e. damaging them).
Spoiler:
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #709118

We allow players to recognize all other items, don't see why this should be an exception
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #709121

Mime shouldn't have been in the brig so non lethally removing them is valid
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #709125

EmpressMaia wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:12 am A week or so ago I had a round where a mime ran up to my brig and was pulling a abandoned crate, batoned them when they got into the brig doors. An admin later bwoinks me about how it was probably not the best response

Does the crew know that the abandoned crates detonate and should they be treated as a explosive device automatically?
It is entirely the best response you can instantly detonate it on right click.

This is the exact same as walking into brig while dragging a welding tank while holding a lit welding tool, similar explosion size, same amount of time to activate.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #709127

Yeah why is the mime running into brig bro
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #709131

I feel like context is missing but some random running into brig with a dangerous item like an exploding crate is absolutely grounds to baton/tase 'em for safety?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #709137

I suspect they weren't bwoinking you because of the abandoned crate but there's a few policy threads lately which kind of smell of admin complaints via a backdoor.
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #709145

Jacquerel wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:06 pm I suspect they weren't bwoinking you because of the abandoned crate but there's a few policy threads lately which kind of smell of admin complaints via a backdoor.
Im not Mad at the admin
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #709149

I looked at the individual situation itself and it doesn't seem too relevant to this specific question, so let's focus more on the actual question than the situation that led to it.

I feel like it's not unreasonable for crewmembers to start out knowing that the weird locked crates in maintenance explode if you enter the wrong code. We allow players to know about everything else item-wise by default; I see no issue with this being the same.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #709150

Vekter wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:26 pmI feel like it's not unreasonable for crewmembers to start out knowing that the weird locked crates in maintenance explode if you enter the wrong code. We allow players to know about everything else item-wise by default; I see no issue with this being the same.
I don’t think the question is one about metaknowledge “are players allowed to know this,” it’s “are players expected to know this” or “should we treat these items like explosives for the purposes of administration” (these two questions are essentially the same I think).
Spoiler:
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #709151

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:02 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:26 pmI feel like it's not unreasonable for crewmembers to start out knowing that the weird locked crates in maintenance explode if you enter the wrong code. We allow players to know about everything else item-wise by default; I see no issue with this being the same.
I don’t think the question is one about metaknowledge “are players allowed to know this,” it’s “are players expected to know this” or “should we treat these items like explosives for the purposes of administration” (these two questions are essentially the same I think).
Yes this is what I was trying to say
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #709152

Characters are otherwise allowed to know everything about ingame mechanics
No further policy is needed. You know it can explode. You know it has purposes other than exploding. Act in good faith around it and you'll be fine.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #709153

i think it's reasonable to expect players to use their own best judgement based on the context of the situation - i personally don't like the idea that we should "expect" players to have this level of game knowledge and dumpster them if they don't, but i also don't expect players to have to play dumb as they watch someone drag a potential explosive into a secure area.

if they were using it like a crate, then it could be said that they don't know it's explosive or, more importantly, the fact that it's explosive isn't the main reason it's being used so to clobber them and treat them like they're handling a portable nuclear bomb would be silly.

however in something like the situation at hand (which i haven't looked up at all) i think it's reasonable to think this person may be trying to blow shit up.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #709154

If the premise of the topic is "Should this item which can explode always be treated as if it is a bomb?" the answer is clearly no because it isn't a bomb and has non-explosive purposes. It's more like a welding tank. Sometimes there are perfectly normal reasons to be dragging a welding tank around and you should be immediately tackling people with welding tanks and beating them up on the grounds that they have a bomb.

If someone is clearly going to use it to try and explode something then it's a bomb. If they aren't then it isn't. If someone blows it up in the middle of a crowd of people, even if it was by accident, the results are on them.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #709155

EmpressMaia wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:21 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:02 pm
Yes this is what I was trying to say
Then this thread's title is wildly inaccurate.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #709156

I know of the situation as I had to administrate part of it. And personally, I too would assume that someone choosing the use specifically the rare, volatile abandoned crate over any normal crate they found in maint may have more specific purposes for the crate if they are pulling it into a very popular location to bomb.

It is enough of a consideration that what prompted me to makw them so expensive to purchase from cargo was less because I was worried about them no longer being scarce, but because they're an extremely simple tool for bombing the station. I would absolutely treat them with kid gloves ic, and treat them as bombs administratively because they're literally bombs you need to defuse to get to goods inside. Or I would say that if solving the puzzle defused the bomb. Even a solved abandoned crate is trapped. And hitting it with any force sets it off.

Until unlocking the crate defuses the bomb, treat them as bombs. And pull them into high security areas at your own risk.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #709157

Jacquerel wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:02 pm If the premise of the topic is "Should this item which can explode always be treated as if it is a bomb?" the answer is clearly no because it isn't a bomb and has non-explosive purposes. It's more like a welding tank. Sometimes there are perfectly normal reasons to be dragging a welding tank around and you should be immediately tackling people with welding tanks and beating them up on the grounds that they have a bomb.

If someone is clearly going to use it to try and explode something then it's a bomb. If they aren't then it isn't. If someone blows it up in the middle of a crowd of people, even if it was by accident, the results are on them.
I think the difference is that it's pretty obvious when someone is planning to bomb with a welding tank since they need to have a welder out and ignited.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #709158

Okay so I pondered on this a bit more. I don't have terribly strong opinions on this one because most people know that these things explode if you solve them wrong, so if you bring it into a high security area, you're kind of opening yourself up to scrutiny. I don't think it should be treated like carrying a tank and a welding tool, but if you're walking into the brig with one and an officer stuns you to take it from you, I'm hitting "IC Issue".

I have a few notes for everyone else when deciding their feelings on the matter:

1) Crates can be solved by using a multi-tool on them. It's a puzzle, but you can open them and they do have loot inside, so there's a valid reason to be tugging one along other than "makeshift bomb".
2) If a crate explodes, it does so with 1 heavy and 5 light, which isn't a tiny explosion but isn't massive either. It's relatively equivalent to setting off a welding fuel tank.
Spoiler:

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #709164

chocolate_bickie wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:11 pm
Jacquerel wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:02 pm If the premise of the topic is "Should this item which can explode always be treated as if it is a bomb?" the answer is clearly no because it isn't a bomb and has non-explosive purposes. It's more like a welding tank. Sometimes there are perfectly normal reasons to be dragging a welding tank around and you should be immediately tackling people with welding tanks and beating them up on the grounds that they have a bomb.

I think the difference is that it's pretty obvious when someone is planning to bomb with a welding tank since they need to have a welder out and ignited.
Either of them are innocuous in plenty of circumstances and very suspicious when brought into the brig
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #709168

Jacquerel wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:54 pm

Either of them are innocuous in plenty of circumstances and very suspicious when brought into the brig
The issue is the context surrounding the matter. The brig is a popular place to try and destroy, both for antags and for greyshirts who are gaming a little too hard.
Spoiler:

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #709169

Vekter wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:44 pm
Jacquerel wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:54 pm

The issue is the context surrounding the matter. The brig is a popular place to try and destroy, both for antags and for greyshirts who are gaming a little too hard.
Yes that is why I said either of them are innocuous in plenty of circumstances and very suspicious when brought into the brig
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #711083

you are allowed to know that abandoned crates can turn into makeshift explosives, but the context of who is dragging it and where it is being dragged should be applied in any given situation to determine how you react to it

chesh: thumbsup
fikou: yes