Let’s expand rule 11

The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Let’s expand rule 11

Post by The Wrench » #711596

Alright, as recent unnamed events that can not be said again have shown. The enforcement on what slurs are allowed and what aren’t is massively arbitrary. I say let admins say fuck and be consistent and ban all slur usage independent of context. There is no reasonable context outside of being a racist to call another person the N slur.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Re: Let’s expand rule 11

Post by dendydoom » #711600

this is a noble cause but i'm fairly sure rule 11 is mso's domain and the headmins can't really make substantial changes to the scope of its enforcement without a discussion with the big man himself
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
8bot
Byond Username: 8botticus

Post by 8bot » #711603

i think rule 11 was a bad idea in the first place (anything it's meant to cover is already covered by rule 1) and the admins who are saying you can't be racist against white people are fucking dentskulls, but the cracker ban was extra fucking dumb. it's taken the rule that's meant to be exercised with common sense to actually expunge people the obnoxious edgelords and actual racists to banning over words themselves. regardless of your stance towards it, the fact that admins aren't just failing to understand the rule as it's written, but enforcing the direct opposite of it, is something that should be taken up with them, instead of modifying the rules to accommodate their misconduct.
Last edited by 8bot on Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the gamer formerly known as "remanseptim"
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #711604

MSO explicitly will not let us forbid people from using certain words. We have to ban based on whether or not the context those words are used in is bigoted.
The Wrench wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:59 pm The enforcement on what slurs are allowed and what aren't is massively arbitrary.
I would argue that it is not. People are not banned in general for saying slurs, but they are banned if they call someone else a slur.

E:
8bot wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:20 pm ... and the admins who are saying you can't be racist against white people are fucking dentskulls, but the cracker ban was extra fucking dumb.
This isn't relevant to the discussion. Regardless of anyone's opinion on racism against specific groups, the rules explicitly state that bigotry against any group is against the rules. Admin opinion on the matter is irrelevant.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
8bot
Byond Username: 8botticus

Post by 8bot » #711608

Vekter wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:21 pm This isn't relevant to the discussion. Regardless of anyone's opinion on racism against specific groups, the rules explicitly state that bigotry against any group is against the rules. Admin opinion on the matter is irrelevant.
I'd say it's relevant, because even though I disagree with the stance itself, I do agree that punishing someone for calling another person a cracker is stupid and an example of how Rule 11 is being mishandled - admin opinion is, and always will be relevant to discussions surrounding rules, due to rules being enforced at their discretion.

As for the discussion itself, this is a massive massive no. Earlier posts stated the obvious, that it goes against what MSO very transparently set out when the rule was introduced, and as I already stated, OP's suggestion is quite literally altering the rules to accommodate admins' poor interpretation of them. That's the exact opposite of what should be done in a scenario like this. An admin should be held accountable when they don't enforce a rule properly and made to correct their behavior.
the gamer formerly known as "remanseptim"
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #711837

I believe the rule should be changed to be more consistent instead of arbitrary. Either all slurs are okay or they aren’t, we can’t filter in-cel and then leave “Nigger” alone. It’s not right. Ban them all
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #711838

The Wrench wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:34 am I believe the rule should be changed to be more consistent instead of arbitrary. Either all slurs are okay or they aren’t, we can’t filter in-cel and then leave “Nigger” alone. It’s not right. Ban them all
It's only filtered on the forums, not in-game. Forum rules and in-game rules are different.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

feaster
Byond Username: Roadto3k

Post by feaster » #711839

The Wrench wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:34 am I believe the rule should be changed to be more consistent instead of arbitrary. Either all slurs are okay or they aren’t, we can’t filter in-cel and then leave “Nigger” alone. It’s not right. Ban them all
Are you willing to write out a list specifying all of them?
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #711840

I mean if that's what it takes, sure. We could always ask for the Goonmin's master list of banned slurs and start from there though. I just want us to be consistent with what we do here.

feaster
Byond Username: Roadto3k

Post by feaster » #711842

The Wrench wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:50 am I mean if that's what it takes, sure. We could always ask for the Goonmin's master list of banned slurs and start from there though. I just want us to be consistent with what we do here.
How are you going to arbitrate the list?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #711843

The Wrench wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:50 am I mean if that's what it takes, sure. We could always ask for the Goonmin's master list of banned slurs and start from there though. I just want us to be consistent with what we do here.
1) This is an exercise in futility because the host literally will not let us do this.
2) "Bitch" is on that list. It is not a good example.
Spoiler:

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #711849

Vekter wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:13 am 1) This is an exercise in futility because the host literally will not let us do this.
/thread

Not sure the point of discussing this if nothing can come out of it.
Spoiler:
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #712127

What the headmins do or do not want does not matter here. We can only act within the boundaries MSO sets. We have the expression of bigotry banned, and dogwhistles can be handled on a case by case basis. I encourage people not to use slurs period, but cannot take administrative or headministrative action to ban them outright.

Even in the case of a full slur ban, there would be situations where their usage would need to be allowed. Imagine saying "Joe called me a f - - - - -!" And getting banned, discussing your favourite Kanye West song about gentlemen in Paris, or any other example where slur usage couldn't offend or be used to insult someone.

TLDR: it's tricky. While banning slurs is a good call, we work in MSO's realm and the situation is more nuanced.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta