(proposal) forgetting death policy

Dalmationer
Byond Username: Dalmationer

(proposal) forgetting death policy

Post by Dalmationer » #712322

Bottom post of the previous page:

Hiya folks!
I've started playing SS13 again after a (very) long time on hiatus, and I wanted to make a rules suggestion!
So, I've been playing under the assumption for a while that when your character dies, you don't remember the circumstances of your death, similar to heretic sacrifices. I remember this being the case some years ago when I played, and it's been the case on a couple downstreams I've dabbled in over the years. I was surprised to learn that this isn't actually policy!

I'd like to suggest a very rough policy of revived character having a foggy memory of their death. This could be done as a popup on revival, similar to when a heretic sacrifices someone. I haven't seen many players ignore the heretic sacrifice forgetfulness, so I can't imagine there'd be too much in the way of metagaming.

I believe this'd achieve a couple things:
  • Less pressure on antags who are trying to be stealthy to round remove people they kill, knowing that they won't necessarily be ratted out immediately. This helps to emphasise the social deduction parts of the game and gives antagonists, especially ones like traitor or changeling, a little more control over when they get to go loud.
  • It allows plays who are killed to cover up a crime to get back in the game sooner-- antags may feel less pressure to strip & closet the body.
  • It slightly reduces validhunting-- If a player is told 'Knifes Man killed you', hunting them down is one thing, but if they're killed and 'don't know' who did it, then there's no reason to hunt down the antag if they haven't gone loud yet.
I'd love to hear what people think about this and how it could be implemented. As it's a fairly fuzzy policy, I think I'd err on the side of 'good faith'- knowing you were with someone before you died or knowing you had a conversation/being suspicious is one thing, but immediately being revived and shouting 'knifes man is a tot' over radio is probably too far.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Re: (proposal) forgetting death policy

Post by Constellado » #713386

huh, borged players are allowed to remember their past life?

Interesting I thought that was the other way around. (I havnt been borged in over a year I think)

I do think it is okay to make it so borged players cannot remember their past life, that seems fair to me.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #713426

Constellado wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:52 am Interesting I thought that was the other way around. (I havnt been borged in over a year I think
This is telling. With the advent of “recover to roundstart freshness” from any ailment or injury with two surgeries and a monkey, there isn’t any reason to borg anyone.

Forceborging antags has also been stigmatized in recent years as well, i haven’t seen that in forever either.

Hell, even antags force borging people doesn’t happen too often.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
DATAxPUNGED
Byond Username: DATAxPUNGED

Post by DATAxPUNGED » #713892

I'd love this to be part of policy. I think i'd generally lead to less people being RR due to paranoia that they could (and tbh probably will) rat out the killer if revived.
- Brazilian Manuel Player

kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #713921

Would hate to see this on LRP. As we've seen with these kinds of things before it's ass to enforce and not fun to be like """oohh noo I forgot how I died!!" 10 times in the round
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #714266

i like the idea you're going for here in regards to promoting a little less RR and good-faith cat and mouse between traitors and crewmembers, but i don't think this is very feasible to enforce, and i'm concerned it may end up dampening the rounds of the people who may enjoy their triumphant comeback stories of finding the person who'd killed them.

if i remember right, we used to have you not recall anything after being cloned post-DNA scan, and it worked out decently, but since you're always brought back in the same body/brain nowadays, it's a little harder to point at the exact time you should start not remembering things.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #714279

Its very hard to frame your target so security wrongfully executes them, this is because if security fucks up and executes an innocent person, they'll get banned
celularLAmp
Byond Username: Celulamp

Post by celularLAmp » #715675

this just seems like a way to kill conflict. Just make disguising easier (hate how ids and pdas disguising works its funky as fuck)
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #718234

this isn't enforceable without code changes and a lot of admin oversight. it was simpler back when cloning was present and you officially had a new 'body' with a fresh set of memories, but defining where that line is where we're currently at is just something i can't imagine happening in a way that people will be happy with.
jimmyl
Byond Username: Jimmyl

Post by jimmyl » #718423

you cant just make people spontaneously actually forget something since people would just watch for a clear hint of "valid" from whoever killed them before acting so they can harm them
ImageImageImage
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #718635

As others have said this is pretty much unenforceable. I pretend to forget anything right before dying and the death itself as a form of thank you to the antagonist for not taking off my jumpsuit and/or throwing my character’s body out into space.

It has led to some funny times like when a blood brother atmos tech tried to ttv me, killed me and them without gibbing, and I got revived in medbay with an officer asking me who the bomber was when the bomber was on the other stasis bed.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #718824

Hey, so this is not currently enforceable in a way that we would hypothetically want it. Would require a ton of code support, and a way to clearly communicate to both player (and admin) what's being forgotten. So while I don't necessarily have issues with this (others headmins may), it's not in our ballpark to feasibly implement.

Cheshify - See above
TBM - Not doable right now
Fikou - n/a
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta