thank you
respect (let him do his thing)
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: reopen ban requests

Post by Vekter » #715182

God no
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #715185

kinnebian wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:22 pm can we please re open ban requests?
i think it is needed!
thank you
Tell me who you want gone and i'll pull on a few of the old red strings for you ;)
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
zergking
Byond Username: Zergking

Post by zergking » #715272

Mr Vekter send this man to MSOs weed lair and have him blacklisted NOW
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #715359

kinnebian wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:22 pm can we please re open ban requests?
i think it is needed!
thank you
yes, under the condition that you are the one to investigate, address, ban for, and resolve the appeals of said bans yourself.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #715410

and if i say yes?
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #715413

So I've often suggested the idea that ban requests should be open, but require the requester provide all of the evidence and rather or not a ban request goes thru a screening phase would be dependant on if the logs provided by the request prove the violation, without any investigative work.

If approved, than the only thing the admin has to do is quickly verify the logs aren't fake, and/or give the otherside a on connection message/notice to address the accusations.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #715449

MrStonedOne wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:14 pm So I've often suggested the idea that ban requests should be open, but require the requester provide all of the evidence and rather or not a ban request goes thru a screening phase would be dependant on if the logs provided by the request prove the violation, without any investigative work.

If approved, than the only thing the admin has to do is quickly verify the logs aren't fake, and/or give the otherside a on connection message/notice to address the accusations.
I think I'd be okay with this. The only real issue with ban requests was that most of them amounted to "this person did a thing I don't like, ban them" and most of the time we'd find out they were either an antag or not breaking the rules.

If the player requesting the ban had to do all of the legwork to prove it was valid, I'd be a little more willing to say we could bring it back. My only issue is that I worry about a request being longer than a short novel and still requiring too much work to go through.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #715458

With the addition of public logs, I would initially say make it happen. Make the accuser provide full logs of the incident, broken into several codeblocks, with stuff like any interactions they had with the person before in the round of the accusation, then the incident(s) within that round, then any interactions they had after, etc.

But then it also occurred to me that it would be a pain to make sure that important lines could be tactically left out (like "missing" a succumb) and while I certainly expect most people wouldn't do it, the admins would still have to check every single time.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #715484

-1 on this idea from both fikou and chesh. i'm not entirely opposed, but i also know the kinds of shitshows that the old ban request subforum offered and am ambivalent enough to not try to convince them otherwise.

i will say that discord help tickets can be used to this end for egregious cases of grief should you need some avenue to report somebody when there's no administrator active, though.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #715486

MrStonedOne wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:14 pm So I've often suggested the idea that ban requests should be open, but require the requester provide all of the evidence and rather or not a ban request goes thru a screening phase would be dependant on if the logs provided by the request prove the violation, without any investigative work.

I like the idea of this sane implementation is followed.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #715494

If I were to bring ban requests back, it would be as Unanswered Ahelps.

If a player believes a rule was broken and ahelped it and the ahelp wasn't answered, they can come to the forums and request it be investigated. It's not perfect (end of round ahelps etc) but the goal should always be an ahelp first.

But keep in mind that right now players can still open ahelps for things in past shifts... Whilst our admin team generally doesn't like investigating them - even events from the last shift ahelped at the start of this shift.

I think this is because they tend to result in sub-quality investigations where the admin is unable to speak to all the appropriate parties and involve an order of magnitude more log diving when that's the case. Sub-quality investigations mean appeals.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #715499

This kind of would require investigation in on itself regardless because someone can just give half of the story and only the logs that support their side. We'd have to check if the logs are factual and contain all the necessary information to come to a ruling, so that would be the same as investigating from scratch. So, in a way, the player providing logs is useless.

Can someone summarize what the actual issue with ban requests was?
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #715507

Justice12354 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:09 am

This kind of would require investigation in on itself regardless because someone can just give half of the story and only the logs that support their side. We'd have to check if the logs are factual and contain all the necessary information to come to a ruling, so that would be the same as investigating from scratch. So, in a way, the player providing logs is useless.

Can someone summarize what the actual issue with ban requests was?
I think nobody wanted to do them but i could be wrong
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #715510

Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #715516

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:45 am If I were to bring ban requests back, it would be as Unanswered Ahelps.

If a player believes a rule was broken and ahelped it and the ahelp wasn't answered, they can come to the forums and request it be investigated. It's not perfect (end of round ahelps etc) but the goal should always be an ahelp first.

But keep in mind that right now players can still open ahelps for things in past shifts... Whilst our admin team generally doesn't like investigating them - even events from the last shift ahelped at the start of this shift.

I think this is because they tend to result in sub-quality investigations where the admin is unable to speak to all the appropriate parties and involve an order of magnitude more log diving when that's the case. Sub-quality investigations mean appeals.
I like this, there are times when there are no admins online and I do an ahelp to have it never get answered. Would be nice to have something like this!
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #715532

If we bring back ban requests it is ABSOLUTELY vital that they are not publically visible until resolved imo. They are the king of drama factories.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #715536

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:18 am If we bring back ban requests it is ABSOLUTELY vital that they are not publically visible until resolved imo. They are the king of drama factories.
that defeats the whole POINT
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #715540

i personally am not a fan of applying what could be harsh, decisive punishments on people without being able to speak to them about what happened and get their side. log diving is necessary to obtain and analyze raw, hard facts, but there is more to curating a communal space than numbers and data.

my personal feeling is similar to what timber said. the longer we wait until after an incident to investigate it, the worse that investigation will be at resolving a situation fairly and equitably.

i don't think this would be the worst idea in the world, there is a discussion to be had about the lesser evil: risking weak investigations or just not investigating something at all, but i really would not like for players to assume that this should be the normal mode of operation to get issues resolved. the best time will always be as it's happening ingame via ahelps.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #715563

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:45 am If I were to bring ban requests back, it would be as Unanswered Ahelps.

The problem is, a lot of the time people want to wait until the end of the round to make sure someone wasn't an antagonist before they ahelp something, they don't want to waste the admin team's time.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #715567

Also sometimes people just cant believe that a nonantag would be doing something like bombing the shuttle with explosive lemons.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #715654

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:30 pm Also sometimes people just cant believe that a nonantag would be doing something like bombing the shuttle with explosive lemons.
There is some grief that is so obviously antag activity I don't even ahelp because they are so obviously an antag and they dont need an ahelp. I then dont ahelp after the round because I don't even check the round end report half the time.

I dont like ahelping every single thing becuase it just adds more things to do in game and I am already busy in the game thank you.

Mind you, I think this ban requests thing will only really be useful in the case of no admins online imho.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #715726

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:27 pm The problem is, a lot of the time people want to wait until the end of the round to make sure someone wasn't an antagonist before they ahelp something, they don't want to waste the admin team's time.
Not explicitly aimed at you, but worth having written down somewhere since it comes up... The amount of "time wasted" ahelping an antag is several seconds, the time it takes to click logs and maybe check antags. The amount of time wasted (and time pressure) when something is ahelped at round end and we're delaying 60 people from playing the game because we have to delay reboot is unpleasant, and the chances are higher the other person logged off which creates a lot more log reading work since you can't just ask the person why something happened.

(I'll /usually/ ask the people to just hang on to the next round.... but sometimes I might want to play the next round too.)

Sorry if this is a little off topic for the original discussion, just a message I always think is important to convey.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #715738

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:18 am If we bring back ban requests it is ABSOLUTELY vital that they are not publically visible until resolved imo. They are the king of drama factories.
the popcorn factor was the only thing good about ban requests and even that part was only good for the people who weren't involved
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #715750

iain0 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:59 am
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:27 pm The problem is, a lot of the time people want to wait until the end of the round to make sure someone wasn't an antagonist before they ahelp something, they don't want to waste the admin team's time.
Not explicitly aimed at you, but worth having written down somewhere since it comes up... The amount of "time wasted" ahelping an antag is several seconds, the time it takes to click logs and maybe check antags. The amount of time wasted (and time pressure) when something is ahelped at round end and we're delaying 60 people from playing the game because we have to delay reboot is unpleasant, and the chances are higher the other person logged off which creates a lot more log reading work since you can't just ask the person why something happened.
Ahelping isolated incidents doesn’t take too much time, but having to consider ahelping every situation sucks when you get on to play the game, so players don’t get in the habit of doing it
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #715755

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:01 pm -1 on this idea from both fikou and chesh. i'm not entirely opposed, but i also know the kinds of shitshows that the old ban request subforum offered and am ambivalent enough to not try to convince them otherwise.

i will say that discord help tickets can be used to this end for egregious cases of grief should you need some avenue to report somebody when there's no administrator active, though.
Thread should just really be closed at this point. The above just shows having a ban requests subforum is a waste of time and that there is no interest besides frothing at the mouth while you grab your groin area reading drama.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #715764

There must be one condition:

WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #715899

TheLoLSwat wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:10 pm
iain0 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:59 am
Ahelping isolated incidents doesn’t take too much time, but having to consider ahelping every situation sucks when you get on to play the game, so players don’t get in the habit of doing it
I totally understand that. Ahelping is immersion-breaking and overall unpleasant.

Do keep in mind that, if you wait for the round-end report to ahelp something, it's absolutely weightless because, if the ahelped's an antag, you will not be forced to get in a back and forth ina helps, and you can go back to your game. However, if they are not, what iain listed is quite stressful for the admin handling it and annoying for the players stuck in EORG.

My point is that: if you ahelp an antag, you will quickly go back to ur game. If you ahelp a non-antag, it will be far more relaxed than during EORG or next round.
Spoiler:
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #717808

No, there isn't a good reason for this. We have ahelps and you can request a support ticket in the discord if there aren't any admins online/the round has ended. Making big public demands to ban people is not what we want to encourage.

Entire Headmin Team - No
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta