Explosive selling

Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Explosive selling

Post by Archie700 » #716071

There's never been a concrete idea on selling explosives (bombs and grenades). While it's definitely wacky hijinks for antags, non-antags who sell them have gotten in trouble for it if the bombs explode and take out some people.

Should bomb selling for no reason be bannable?
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Re: Explosive selling

Post by blackdav123 » #716076

bad things happening is part of the space man experience, as long as someone isnt overdoing their disruptive gimmick it should stay. note and warn someone if they do this multiple rounds in a row otherwise leave it be
Weston Echard on Sybil
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #716080

I don't think selling contraband should depend on your antag status, so anyone should be able to do it, as long as it doesn't become repetitive.

I see some arguments around it requiring a valid motive to be done, but when will that reason come up if you can't use explosives unless it's a round-ending threat (explosive speedrun?)? If that's the case, just say it's bannable outright.

I don't blame a player for wanting to roleplay as some sort of contraband seller, and, guess what, explosives are a pretty cool contraband. Assuming the player's intent based on the gimmick alone is kind of negligent. I can see how it can be grief, but imo it's not inherently intentional grief. I believe a good way to spot cases of that would be using temporary notes (for example: up to 8 months, idk) if their gimmick goes wrong. If they repeat that and it goes wrong again, ban them. Just because something is noted, it doesn't mean the player is now a stupid piece of shit, it's just something being noted so that the Admin Team can work better as a whole to keep the game fun.

I am mainly talking for LRP, and opinions may derive when it comes to MRP players since the ruleset differences do end up changing the way the playerbase views certain aspects of the game, even if the rules don't cover that topic.

In fact, now I got hyped to make some explosives and sell them as contraband!
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #716086

comedy prisoner's dilemma option

If an antag makes bombs available (sells them, leaves them lying around, pulls them into the shuttle on a locker that someone gets curious about and immediately opens and grabs the contents, etc) and a nonantag sets them off, it's fair game 'cause an antag caused it.
If a nonantag makes bombs available and an antag sets them off, again, it's fair game 'cause an antag caused it.
Obviously if both players are antags it's fair game.
If, on the other hand, both players are nonantags, they both reap the consequences of whatever happens - if you're a nonantag and you're selling bombs you'd better _hope_ the person you sell them to is an antag else you're on the hook for whatever they do with them. Likewise if you're buying bombs or picking them up off the ground then you'd better hope whoever made them is an antag (or else you better use them responsibly!)
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #716090

Screemonster wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:17 pm comedy prisoner's dilemma option
<snip>
That disregards the intent behind the non-antag's actions and encourages non-antags to seek antags to grief along, so I'm not sure if it's ideal
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #716091

What are we, a church? Lets get some nash-equalibrum based bans up in here!
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #716096

here's the nuance i see here:

if someone makes bombs of their own volition and sells them of their own volition with 0 outside influence, they should have a good IC reason to be doing this, and if they don't, then they should have some hand in the consequences when one inevitably goes off and evaporates 9 people standing in evac doing nothing.

however, if someone convinces someone to make them a bomb, and they do, then i believe there should be a lot more lenience here. the main reason for this is that traitors, etc, should be able to socially engineer people into getting what they want, and i think it would be counterproductive to the culture we want to see if we were to punish people for giving bombs to people who asked for them, because it would just lead to everyone saying no to every request all the time out of fear of hearing the scary admin noise 20 minutes later when the captain's bathroom becomes a crater.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #716098

Justice12354 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:33 pm
Screemonster wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:17 pm comedy prisoner's dilemma option
<snip>
That disregards the intent behind the non-antag's actions and encourages non-antags to seek antags to grief along, so I'm not sure if it's ideal
I did say it was a comedy option
butyeah dendy summed it up pretty well, people shouldn't be scared that they're gonna get banned if they get social engineered into handing over a bomb to an antag who then proceeds to use it, nor should they be scared if the "cleaner grenades" handed to them by the chemist turn out to be gunpowder
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #716101

dendydoom wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:13 pm here's the nuance i see here:

if someone makes bombs of their own volition and sells them of their own volition with 0 outside influence, they should have a good IC reason to be doing this, and if they don't, then they should have some hand in the consequences when one inevitably goes off and evaporates 9 people standing in evac doing nothing.

however, if someone convinces someone to make them a bomb, and they do, then i believe there should be a lot more lenience here. the main reason for this is that traitors, etc, should be able to socially engineer people into getting what they want, and i think it would be counterproductive to the culture we want to see if we were to punish people for giving bombs to people who asked for them, because it would just lead to everyone saying no to every request all the time out of fear of hearing the scary admin noise 20 minutes later when the captain's bathroom becomes a crater.
This with the added caveat that if you're doing something funny you're more likely to get away with it. This thread stemmed from a conversation in adminbus about bombs and I think I'd be a lot more willing to let this kind of thing go if 1) the bombs were relatively small (not maxcaps) and 2) the person selling them sometimes sold a dud or two.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #716112

Now that we have public mining on most maps, any crew member can reasonably say "I need a maxcap for mining". This is a legitimate reason to use a maxcap, as it clears large areas of rock for easy collecting.

There is no reasonable way for another player to verify such claim on a map with public-accessible mining. Everyone has access to it, and there's almost always a need for some type of mat.

So, either "I need it for mining" becomes the magic OOC phrase to aquire a bomb without admins taking action against the seller, or the rule is you cannot give away bombs for any reason due to the threat of them being an antag.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #716114

It should depend on the size of the bomb.
Personal-sized explosives that might break a singular wall or crit 1 guy are fine, maxcaps are not.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #716137

the bigger the bombs you're selling the more likely you are to get owned.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
itsswagga
Byond Username: Swaggaboy112

Post by itsswagga » #716152

Policing this is impossible:
will just lead to people selling bomb COMPONENTS (tanks, (triggers are everywhere), TTV)
selling canisters and and other atmos machinery
or just selling the ability for the other dude to come into Toxins and then telling them exactly what buttons to press and where to click in order to assemble the maxcap

This is an IC issue. Sec should bust down anyone selling bombs for reckless endangerment of life and property. And if a non-antag makes bombs, and another non-antag sets them off FNR, only the one who sets off the bomb should be punished. Since were it not for the other guy opening the valve, the bomb would never have exploded
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #716158

itsswagga wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:02 pm Policing this is impossible:
will just lead to people selling bomb COMPONENTS (tanks, (triggers are everywhere), TTV)
selling canisters and and other atmos machinery
or just selling the ability for the other dude to come into Toxins and then telling them exactly what buttons to press and where to click in order to assemble the maxcap

This is an IC issue. Sec should bust down anyone selling bombs for reckless endangerment of life and property. And if a non-antag makes bombs, and another non-antag sets them off FNR, only the one who sets off the bomb should be punished. Since were it not for the other guy opening the valve, the bomb would never have exploded
Not true, it's been policed before, never resulted in parts being sold, because without the gas work it's all kinda pointless and you could trivially just tide the parts. Looting ordnance is no more challenging than B+E tiding insuls or medkits, if people wanted these things, they would obtain them. But they don't.

As for IC issue, might be nice, but again demonstrably doesn't happen. Partly sec doesn't want to deal with probable non antag situation thats 50/50 just going to explode, uncounterably, and round remove them. And we have recent "should sec be expected to handle things IC?" policy threads where many a sec pushed back firmly on not wanting sec to have to deal with things IC, so they're gonna be dealt with OOC. The fun old juxtaposition of people saying "We want more things handled IC but we don't want anyone to be responsible for handling things IC". Be the change you want to see, play sec and actually police anything other than exclusively antags. And ahelp when inevitably a mob of shitters turn on you (for the sake of other sec players if not yourself).

Also whats the role play spin on "Scientist at local military ordnance lab that's moments ago gone on heightened BLUE ALERT because of possible terrorist activity decides to set up a knock off DVD + spare ordnance shop in the broom cupboard", bearing in mind you're not an antagonist. And how do you then go claim you couldn't have anticipated the results.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #716377

If you make a bomb and give it to someone else and are clear with how destructive it is I don't think the responsibility should fall on you for that bombs casualties within reason, you can face reprecussions IC, but OOC it's fine. It's not the same as leaving around signal designators that will blow something up or just leaving a bomb where it can be easily accessed in a crowded place like the shuttle where you clearly just want to kill a bunch of people and use someone else inevitably triggering it as an excuse for it not being your fault.

What I propose:
Ask yourself if the person I'm giving the bomb blows this up right now without moving will the shuttle be called or will a large number of people die.
If the answer is yes the shuttle will be called or a large number of people will die you probably shouldn't be giving someone a bomb.

If in order to make that happen, the person would have to purposefully go through the effort of taking that bomb to a location where that would happen, the responsibility should no longer be on the creator of the bomb.

It doesn't matter if you know the person you're giving a bomb is an antagonist because you're allowed to assist them with sufficient IC reasoning, and acquiring money is good enough reason IMO
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #716379

I swear we've settled this before. I am like 99% positive we've had a ruling that handing out bombs makes you responsible for the outcome but I can't find it now.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #716772

update to rule 1 squares this one off. you can collect your rule 0 pass for the round from your local friendly admin and continue fearlessly.
Do not facilitate player deaths for poor IC reasoning. Distributing bombs or other similarly destructive items can leave you responsible for how they are used if not cleared with an admin first. Each unjustified kill is normally met with a 24-hour ban.