Implementatiopn of voting bans.

carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Implementatiopn of voting bans.

Post by carshalash » #723162

There has been an abundance of people performing either early votes for maps or waiting for moments of chaos to perform map votes.

These people tend to vote for the same map each time to frustrate the player base, as there will be fewer votes to go against them with the weighted system as it currently is. Because we for some reason seem to be adamant on keeping weighted voting, the best course of action for now would be to start banning specific individuals from starting map bans if they have shown to be using it in bad faith repeatedly.
Jackraxxus
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Jackraxxus

Re: Implementatiopn of voting bans.

Post by Jackraxxus » #723163

just make mapvotes only happen at a set time midround ones u can do whenever are stupid
code issue
iamgoofball wrote:Vekter and MrMelbert are more likely to enforce the roleplay rules Manuel is supposed to be abiding by than Wesoda or Jackraxxus are.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #723166

This feels like a code issue tbh.
Also banning somebody for a mapvote lmao
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #723167

vect0r wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:02 am This feels like a code issue tbh.
Also banning somebody for a mapvote lmao
From mapvotes, you silly billy.

People jumping to servers to hold map votes just to force specific maps is very soy and cringe.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #723169

Voting for a new map being enabled at server reload/initialisation always feels silly - there should be a code option to time-lock types of votes or something, so you cant vote on the next round's map until everyone settles into the current one a bit.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #723183

As the #1 birdshot voter pls no how can I connect and run a map vote for birdshot if I’m banned from voting
xzero314
Byond Username: Xzero314

Post by xzero314 » #723187

I am coming for your title of #1 Birdshot voter. Now I have to CHOOSE between birdshot and Northstar its so sad.
ImageImageImageImage
PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #723206

• Make the vote uncallable by players
  • Make the vote called by the server at roundend, instead of when the shuttle departs
  • Make the vote resolve in 45 seconds (roundend is 60 seconds)
I think this is the best (code) solution possible. A bonus is that a vote at roundend would capture the greatest amount of people who actually intend to play the next round.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #723213

I agree but code issue, I'm pondering setting it so that you can't manually call a map vote but again. Code.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #723222

The first step to the code solution that this topic suggests - voting bans - is the admin team answering the question of if they want or need them.

If it's a banning tool or option that the admin team wants or needs, I can't see the codebase blocking it except in exceptional circumstances. Until the admin team says we want them, the codebase kinda really just doesn't care and will simply bounce it back until anyone gets the admin team to care.

So this policy post still has merits, just in whether the proposed ban type is a non-starter or not for admins to want and/or use.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #723300

Just disable map voting in the config. I cannot think of a single reason why voting for the map before the shuttle departs should be enabled. Voting when the shuttle departs is the best option, it's when players are less likely to be distracted with something else, and when there's more players who are likely to continue on to the next round. Can the admins give a single reason why they have it set to allow voting for the map early? There's zero benefit.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #723332

I hate when votes tie and it picks a result at random (restart the server) and since it didn't restart they just do the vote again and again until the coin flip lands their way.

This is more specific to me in the super lowpop rounds. Like hey I've been on the station by myself for the last 3 hours. I joined and everything dark and things were broken, but now they were fixed in semi interesting ways. Oh you've shown up and want to restart? I guess we are restarting then and my sand art project is wiped away again.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #723335

i personally struggle to see the value in asking admins to police voting habits - even if the bans are only for voting, it is an entirely new sect of enforcement that would need to be implemented.

if the system is this easily abusable to the point that it is regularly being used against its very purpose, i would rather just change the system.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #723386

I do think the currently-proposed alternative of just disabling at-will map votes is the better play here. The only reason I would support some form of voting ban would be to deal with people abusing restart votes, but that hasn't been an issue recently as far as I can tell.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #723414

As in the other thread. There is no issue to be solved. Why make things worse for the majority for no reason other than "the good maps getting a few more votes". The good maps already get the majority of votes and the extra votes don't really matter. People will still vote for the alternative maps whether to grief others or try to buy time (ie. cannot play for a round or two and thus try to vote for the alternative maps in order for the good maps to be available later when they can play) regardless when exactly the vote happens.

What would need to change is not when the map vote happens, but rather the map vote itself - all maps available all the time etc, simple weights (let the majority decide what they want to play, that way a single vote cannot grief the entire population).
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #723416

Cope issue
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #723431

That was a "waking up early" typo but also literally code issue. If the maint team wants vote bans they can make them.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta