Disable space dragon on mrp

Blacklist897
Byond Username: Blacklist897

Disable space dragon on mrp

Post by Blacklist897 » #723815

Space dragon is the least fun midround for crew.

Unlike pirates there is no RP involved, and unlike blob there is no cool wars of attrition as crew and blob gain or lose ground.
Dragon shows up puts a stop to anything going on then either dies or ends the round, acting as a hammer to the nuts of antag plans and crew projects.
Blob is a far more effective and thematic take on a drop everything threat, I have never seen a round where a dragon plays a central part in its overlaying story.
profile picture by "Cowboy Owlbear"
I play alexander Moore on Manuel
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: Disable space dragon on mrp

Post by Vekter » #723823

Technically, the least fun midround is Sentient Disease.

Anyway, no. It's interesting and fun and provides a distraction for antags to do their shit.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #723825

I honestly forgot Sentient Disease existed
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #723828

Could we disable sentient disease on mrp instead?
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #723833

Indie-ana Jones worked on Space Dragon a lot (and a lot of the midrounds in general) - i'd recommend talking to him if you want to see changes before simply petitioning space dragon to be disabled. he's a nice guy too, so any excuse to talk to him is a good one
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Blacklist897

Post by Blacklist897 » #723837

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:04 am Indie-ana Jones worked on Space Dragon a lot (and a lot of the midrounds in general) - i'd recommend talking to him if you want to see changes before simply petitioning space dragon to be disabled. he's a nice guy too, so any excuse to talk to him is a good one
thanks! I will go ask him a few things at some point then.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #723849

warbluke wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:26 am Could we disable sentient disease on mrp instead?
I've been tempted to just wholesale remove it. It sucks, it's extremely binary (you either get cucked early on by masks or ruin the round for a large chunk of the station) and there's zero actual meaningful interaction between the disease and crew.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #723850

I do agree with the premise that you are basically never going to RP with a dragon, but I think the occasional unambiguous threat showing up is fine
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #723851

Jacquerel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:36 pm I do agree with the premise that you are basically never going to RP with a dragon, but I think the occasional unambiguous threat showing up is fine
I feel like the lack of direct RP is made up for by how big of a threat it is and how people will be distracted handling it. It's not that the dragon itself can be roleplayed with, it's how the crew interacts around the threat of the dragon.
Spoiler:

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #723858

warbluke wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:26 am Could we disable sentient disease on mrp instead?
Everywhere, please.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #723860

Not all RP has to be reciting poetry to one another. Some things should be big and dangerous and threatening with actual consequences for ignoring it.

And sentient disease should stay simply so I can give them silly names like hysterical pregnancy.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #723868

BrianBackslide wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:44 pm Not all RP has to be reciting poetry to one another. Some things should be big and dangerous and threatening with actual consequences for ignoring it.

And sentient disease should stay simply so I can give them silly names like hysterical pregnancy.
1) A good antagonist on MRP should not only provide opportunities for conflict and RP, but should also drive those factors by requiring players to work together in interesting ways.

2) I would agree if more Sentient Diseases didn't name themselves some lazy variant of "COVID 20" or "Super-AIDS".
Spoiler:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #723874

it kinda sucks that the space carp and the dragon are just like: incredibly fast, space-capable (and therefore usually making a depressurised area wherever it can constantly) repositioning, deadly, stationwide threat, spawning teleporting adds, and fully allowed to do shit like beelining for apcs and gas cans, while spewing masses of fire everywhere.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Post by Bmon » #723925

No, dragon is fine.
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #723989

In all but the most incompetent hands, Space Dragon is a gear/crew check.

Do you have guns, ammo, armor, and healing to fight it?

Do you have the numbers to cycle in and out?

There's intricacy within positioning, actual click skill, and all of those fun things, but as stated above, it does a LOT for what it is.

If you don't meet the gear or crew check, it just kind of hurts to play against, oftentimes. Perhaps this is part of where the fatigue comes in; I've noticed Space Dragon rolling quite often, especially lateround after or during active antag cooking, when the station is hardly poised to meet the check. In these situations, it's just not a very fun antag on MRP, where late-game fatigue appears even more pronounced. Perhaps instead of disabling, a tweak to the odds for rolling would be in order?
Walter brought back Crack.
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #724015

Yeah, typically Space Dragons damage is limited, but good lord do space dragons absolutely fuck the station up something fierce when the station is already in the terminal collapse phase due to dynamic. I actually like space dragons.

Sentient disease is way less fun of a mid round. I could write a three page essay on why sentient disease is probably the worst antag in the game from a crew interaction perspective. It’s just not fun to either die tediously via stun locks to something out of your control, or to sit in your department for ten minutes while medical medical makes a cure, just to get infected anyways because some random paramedic wandered in while hacking up a lung and obviously sick.

Sentient disease usually shuts down a round and almost never enhances it for a majority of the crew.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #724071

Space dragons definitely aren't...terribly great unless things are already super fucked or the dragon got fantastic locations for its portal. And the majority of the time that I've seen it win are when the crew have already called the shuttle and it spawned right before it arrives so nobody can recall so it just gets a free win and an easy bone (that's such a shit mechanic by the way but this is policy).

These grumblings about the code problems aside, is it bad for MRP? It's pretty whatever. I would think of it similar to a blob. A nice mixup for some action, not much more. It isn't offensive enough to bother me much and I don't think it detracts from the experience. I have seen some dragons interact funnily with the crew. I would rather that they stay than not.
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #724119

Removing dragon because it doesn't promote RP is kind of stupid when Blob literally has no means of communicating
Just cause its MRP doesn't mean we can't have the odd threat show up to make the crew actually do their jobs, if we started removing antags for being disruptive we'd end up like Skyrat
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #724132

dragon's a lot like blob: big scaling singular threat that if you don't attend to it can very plausibly end the round.

unlike most blobs though, it's mobile, it isn't constantly scaling (each portal represents a breakpoint of sorts,) and it doesn't necessarily end the round. it can also communicate!

the structural differences are enough to argue that if anything dragon is better suited for MRP than blob, but they're also different enough to create distinct situations, approaches to dealing with them, and cool possible stories.

pls no kill dragun on mrp
feedback appreciated here <3
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #724253

We are not interested in disabling dragon on MRP at this time.
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler: