[Manuel] Searching bags of people brought to medbay

delaron
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Delaron

[Manuel] Searching bags of people brought to medbay

Post by delaron » #726056

Recently had a conversation with an Admin regarding medical staff looking in patients bags when they drop something suspicious during the course of treatment.

Is this a violation of RP rules 4 and 9 ?

I can see staying in your lane being a core tenant here. In general searches are a security concern. For context can medical staff search a bag because the patient dropped something from pockets while being treated that makes the doctor think checking the bag and reporting what they find is a matter of station safety?

I don't think it should be a standard procedure to check bags but also don't think it should be ooc prohibited if there is a general cause.
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Re: [Manuel] Searching bags of people brought to medbay

Post by Sightld2 » #726057

As with all things, I think context and intent are important. Having a peak through one bag because they dropped something suspicious is fair.

Peaking through the bags of everyone who comes to Medical so you can LOCATE the ANTAG and WIN the game is not.

delaron
In-Game Admin

Post by delaron » #726058

Sightld2 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:03 am As with all things, I think context and intent are important. Having a peak through one bag because they dropped something suspicious is fair.

Peaking through the bags of everyone who comes to Medical so you can LOCATE the ANTAG and WIN the game is not.
That is basically where I fall on the line. I will also extend that if there is a medical officer assigned they should be called over instead because that also makes sense. Though I also think it would be hilarious to have bad things happen if you defib a person carrying a bag of c4.
-------
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #726060

Crewmembers are not allowed to pre-emptively search for, hinder, or otherwise seek conflict with antagonists without reasonable cause to do so.
that's all i have to say on this one.
delaron
In-Game Admin

Post by delaron » #726064

TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:41 am
Crewmembers are not allowed to pre-emptively search for, hinder, or otherwise seek conflict with antagonists without reasonable cause to do so.
What's the bar for reasonable cause I guess is at the heart of the question here. What is cause that rises to the level of suspicion?
-------
BonChoi
Byond Username: BonChoi

Post by BonChoi » #726067

If you strip someone and a gun falls out of their pockets probably, or something like that. I'd go with your real life intuition on this one.
Another bad take provided by yours truly.

Istoprocent1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm Baseless claims. I have been to the vault minimum of 38 times, how many suicides?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #726068

I agree with the above. It's like anything else in the game, IC RP reasons are king, if you can give me a reasonable cause for doing it and I can back it up with investigation, we're good. If you're doing it because "find bad guy report to sec", we're not.
delaron wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:16 am
TheBibleMelts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:41 am
What's the bar for reasonable cause I guess is at the heart of the question here. What is cause that rises to the level of suspicion?
I would assume it would be anything that would allow Sec to bag check someone. Stuff like being in a restricted area, hacking doors, hearing they'd tried to beat someone to death, just anything you could reasonably call suspicious.

If someone rifled through a patient's bag and told me they did it because they saw them stealing something out of someone else's pockets or mulling about near a Heretic rift, I would probably be cool with it. Ideally you should be asking yourself "Would my character have a reasonable cause to be doing this that doesn't involve trying to valid hunt?".

If you're looking for a more specific example, I don't think you're going to find one; it's way too broad a topic.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #726069

what if i'm searching their bags to rob them like an asshole
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #726070

I'll break your legs
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #726071

my right to IC crime is protected
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #726072

That is a good point, medical staff / tiders do often look through dead people's inventories for supplies that can help them, even if its just to borrow until the patient is revived.

To prevent someone from having their inventory opened is to remove every item they had from the round.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #726085

I agree that if you are indescriminately looting people with the express purpose of finding an antag, that is against the rules. Otherwise, in most cases, theft can be dealt with ICly.
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler: