Naming Policy

ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Naming Policy

Post by ThatSlyFox » #88533

Rule 8. Pick a normal name. You must not use honorifics or nick names (E.g. Dr Greg House or Jack "Johnny" Johnson), and must be spelt fully with capitals and no shortenings (e.g. NOT J Hoffman or jaiden mallow). Exceptions to this are Eats-The-Lemons format of Lizard names, Clown, Mime, Silicon, Wizard and Nuke Op names. References are still allowed, but try to be original.
Can someone explain to me why Dr House or Luck is not allowed but a name like Blue-Eye-White-Dragon(no offence bro) or Sal A. Mander is? Or why everyone must have a last name? This adds nothing to the game. The RP argument is thrown out the window with names that lizards can pick. This policy needs to get scrapped since it is pointless and frankly unfair.

Discuss.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Naming Policy

Post by DemonFiren » #88536

Emulsions, is why.

Honestly, humans should have names that are somewhat acceptable to modern human society (or at least can, at a passing glance, look like normal human names.) So, no one signing up as their ckey, no non-clown/mime human signing up without last name, just so we can pretend to RP.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #88540

My immersion is broken the moment I see some doctor with pink hair. Not a good reason to keep this policy.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88542

Hair dye is more common than wacky-ass names, mate.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88546

DemonFiren wrote:Emulsions, is why.

Honestly, humans should have names that are somewhat acceptable to modern human society (or at least can, at a passing glance, look like normal human names.) So, no one signing up as their ckey, no non-clown/mime human signing up without last name, just so we can pretend to RP.
It's five hundred years in the future.

That's what I hate about Bay, the idea that "lol, everything is exactly the same 500 years from now, except there are aliens everywhere with funny names that act just like humans"

Also, aliens are 100% uncommon in the modern world, DF, so by that logic lizardmen should be scrapped for ruining your emulsions
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #88547

Sal is clever, Blue-Eyes is an original reference.
Dr. House is unoriginal and Luck is a mononame.

Honestly, if we just modified it for no references this would be fine.
Things like "Sal E. Mander" and "Oldman Robustin" are cute and should still be allowed. It's a complicated subject when I can advocate practically what I'm dismissing.

Only allow standard hair colors too. Brown, black, deep red, orange, blond, strawberry blond, you see what I mean.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #88549

Lovecraft wrote: Only allow standard hair colors too. Brown, black, deep red, orange, blond, strawberry blond, you see what I mean.
I only mentioned the hair thing to throw out his immersions arguement. It is fine imo.

Forcing your idea of what is RP friendly is shit and that is exactly what this idea and the naming policy is doing.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Also, aliens are 100% uncommon in the modern world, DF, so by that logic lizardmen should be scrapped for ruining your emulsions
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88551

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Also, aliens are 100% uncommon in the modern world, DF, so by that logic lizardmen should be scrapped for ruining your emulsions
10/10 did not read my post thoroughly enough.

Also, I intensely disagree with only allowing standard hair colours. Names are one thing - I shudder at the thought of having to call, say, one Mememan Banana (Basil says hello, don't know who you are, just remember your moniker) by name, but medbay stutterwhores with hot pink hair do not bother my emulsions that much - it can be excused with hair dye.

Finally, it is better to force one's idea than to abandon any illusion of immersion.

But, I think we've had all of this before, and the consensus was that the policy could remain in place.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #88552

So wait... Is 'The Gronk' My semi-retarded all caps janitor out?
GRONK NO LIKE NAMING POLICY RESTRICTING GRONK INDIVIDUALITY! GRONK AM SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE!"
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #88556

You could easily get away with "Tha Grunk"
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88564

[quote=Demonfiren] Honestly, humans should have names that are somewhat acceptable to modern human society [/quote]

Remember, if your real name isn't common in any random culture you choose to pick (Say, 'Alan' in a kalahari gatherer,) or "Jimothy" in China

It's not a real name, and you should call yourself Hi!wa'tha or Niam Sang.

I read your post just fine, and you can go away with "Nothing will change in 500 years!"
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88565

Well, then you didn't understand it properly. My apologies.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88567

Oh, sorry, clearly I misunderstood you.
But could you, uh, tell me the alternative meaning of "Humans should have names that are somewhat acceptable to modern human society".

edit: Oh, and also wacky hair colors persist after being cloned/having your genes sucked out and copied, so there's clearly no hair dye involved.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #88569

Uhh the genetics console is really fucking easy to use, perhaps ss13 hair dyeing is normally done through genetic modification.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88571

That's pretty much a given, seeing as how ingame Quantum Hair Dye has unstable mutagen as a reagant
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #88575

If you wish to make a thread about Hair dye by all means make one.

Let's get back on topic.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #88587

Falamazeer wrote:Uhh the genetics console is really fucking easy to use, perhaps ss13 hair dyeing is normally done through genetic modification.
Technically your hair colour is part of your character's DNA, specifically part of the UI.

So nope, that nurse with hot pink hair has a hot pink box to go with it.
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #88588

I suppose it's a question of clearly defining the line and then deciding where to move it to in order to suit our server needs.

What do we want to impose?
Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #88589

Malkevin wrote:
Falamazeer wrote:Uhh the genetics console is really fucking easy to use, perhaps ss13 hair dyeing is normally done through genetic modification.
Technically your hair colour is part of your character's DNA, specifically part of the UI.

So nope, that nurse with hot pink hair has a hot pink box to go with it.
Designer Babbies

Which means some people choose to be bald/balding
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Erisian
Byond Username: Erisian

Post by Erisian » #88607

Lovecraft wrote:I suppose it's a question of clearly defining the line and then deciding where to move it to in order to suit our server needs.

What do we want to impose?
How about we not impose anything and let people name themselves whatever they want to. Can we not do that? Take Luck for example. It's a mononame, but so what? IC, it's not the first day the people are meant to have been together onboard. Maybe we see "Luck" because we've all come to know him by a nickname. And maybe if you roleplayed and asked him "why do they call you Luck" and "what's your real name?" we wouldn't have a problem with you sperging out over a name in a video game. Is having him make the last name "Surname" really so important that just "Luck" alone is completely unacceptable?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #88609

Except your ID, which is issued by NT says your full name. So it should have a formal name.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #88616

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Except your ID, which is issued by NT says your full name. So it should have a formal name.
I imagine that NT would keep track of people by ID numbers or something. On a space station with few enough people aboard that everyone could easily be on a nickname basis with everyone else, and with an HoP there who's fully authorized to change the names on the crewmembers' ID cards, there's no reason why they wouldn't all have the names the crewmembers preferred to be called by.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #88617

What if I am a human who was raised by lizards?

What if I you know, changed my legal name, like countless people do in the modern world.

People have retarded ass names, pretty much the only restrictions are offensive shit, or thingss that immitate titles.

For example over here they wouldn't let you change your name to Cunt Fucker, or Prime Minister, but some chucklefuck had no problems changing his name to some retarded 27 word long thing after he lost a bet.
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #88627

It should just be changed to anything that isn't offence and is an actual name. No "Hitler" or "Some big guy" but "Jim" or "Dr. House" would be ok.
LNGLY
Byond Username: LNGLY

Post by LNGLY » #88637

Let's not make 'it's offensive' a consideration in the rules, please.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #88638

LNGLY wrote:Let's not make 'it's offensive' a consideration in the rules, please.
You want to play with a guy named double-nigger-farts?
Just saying, there should be a line in the sand somewhere.

As far as immulsions go, There is too much to cover, it should remain case by case.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #88642

I'm rewriting policy because some of it is retarded and this is the part that concerns names, if anyone's interested in it being changed.
Rule 7- Character names should be spelled with capitals and without shortenings (e.g. John Doe, instead of J Doe or john doe). A minimal amount of effort should be put into making the names fit in within the context of a crew member of a 26th century, and sometimes wacky and nonsensical, space station. References are allowed.
Rule 7.a- Obviously OOC names are not allowed.
Rule 7.b- Lizards have a looser naming policy and can choose to base their names off the Verbs-the-Noun format, or anything similar.
Rule 7.c- Silicons, clowns, mimes, wizards, and nuclear operative last names have no naming restrictions but names that suck really bad may be subject to Primary Policy Rule 0 admin intervention.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #88645

Looks about the same.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #88647

Current policy is,

>Pick a normal name. You must not use honorifics or nick names (E.g. Dr Greg House or Jack "Johnny" Johnson), and must be spelt fully with capitals and no shortenings (e.g. NOT J Hoffman or jaiden mallow). Exceptions to this are Eats-The-Lemons format of Lizard names, Clown, Mime, Silicon, Wizard and Nuke Op names. References are still allowed, but try to be original.

'Normal name' isn't very clear and plenty of admins have differently interpreted or just flat-out ignored the rule. The proposed policy gives a more unified context in which names are made. Mononames, nicknames and honorifics would also be allowed under proposed policy, since it's an insignificant thing and the quality of meaningful non-combat player interaction shouldn't be dependent on names either.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #88651

I thought only Lizards got the "Eats-The-Lemons" format while other special roles just plainly got far more leeway in their names?

So Clowns and Mimes could pick silly names, Silicons could pick more mechanical/AI sounding names while Wizards and Ops could use any name they want. Hell one time as a admin picked Wiz I just named myself Steelpoint and that went well.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #88652

are luck's metafriends trying to change the name policy again, seriously this happens every fucking month, it's not going to happen just to accommodate your snowflake name
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #88654

No the current issue I have with name policy is that it's really unclear. If people really want mononames to be disallowed then whatever, but I'd like the rules to actually reflect it, instead of admins having different views on it.

edit- the last policy discussion on this ended in a vote which saw the majority want mononames. Of course, that was an unmoderated forum vote on a thread now lost to time and space and forgotten by administration but still.
Erisian

Post by Erisian » #88659

Falamazeer wrote:
LNGLY wrote:Let's not make 'it's offensive' a consideration in the rules, please.
You want to play with a guy named double-nigger-farts?
Just saying, there should be a line in the sand somewhere.

As far as immulsions go, There is too much to cover, it should remain case by case.
No, because when if you ban something because it's offensive you need to actually stand by that. No more funny rounds with a syndiedrone named "Tiny Hitler" because Hitler is offensive. No more Muhammad or other religious stereotypes as chaplain because that's also offensive. No, something being offensive is not a valid reason to ban it. Hell, if you want to start banning shit that's offensive, just shut the server down because violence can be offensive.

Are some of those names and gimmicks dumb? Yes, but that doesn't mean it needs to be silenced or that it should be. Because once you go down the road of "IT'S OFFENSIVE! I'M SO TRIGGERED!" it's the death of any creativity because everyone has to walk on eggshells. And I'd rather play one shitty round with "double nigger farts" than lose out on countless other creative and fun rounds that would have been stifled due to being potentially offensive to people.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88675

I'm still in opposition of human mononames (lizard privilege, yo!) and oversaturation of dank memes.
Not that I have any objections to Chang E. Ling, Cindy Kate, or Armin Buser, because those are dank in a subtle manner.

Also, Erisian, please don't strawman.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88682

> Calling yourself "changeling" with a space in the middle is 'subtle'
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88687

Somewhat more subtle than flat-out calling yourself changeling, so yeah.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #88690

Its reasonably subtle, actually didn't notice what it stood for over a year.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #88701

Lets just make this the naming policy.

1. No references(Aka naming yourself after an anime character, or a famous dictator).
2. Mononames are allowed as long as your first name is a real name.
3. Lizardmen, while they can have unique names(like Pins-The-Lizards), can't have ridiculous or reference names like(Shenron-The-Dragon or Tator-Tot-The-Syndi-Cat)
4. Clowns, Mimes, Wizards, AI's, and Cyborgs(and any other jobs or antagonists which can have special names) may choose any name they wish unless said name is creepy, super racist, or breaks server rules(like Rapes-The-Niggers or a station borg/AI choosing Syndicate Cyborg 666)
5. Names, for humans atleast, need to be English/Western names(or at the very least spelled with the English Alphabet), thus no names like Zhōngguó.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #88705

Cyborgs with 666 as their serial number actually happens, so banning people for it is dumb.

And you people really need to stop being so anal about this. None of the names mentioned so far are too shit to be banned, except Rapes-The-Niggers.
Erisian

Post by Erisian » #88706

DemonFiren wrote:I'm still in opposition of human mononames (lizard privilege, yo!) and oversaturation of dank memes.
Not that I have any objections to Chang E. Ling, Cindy Kate, or Armin Buser, because those are dank in a subtle manner.

Also, Erisian, please don't strawman.
Where was the strawman in my argument? There was an admin spawned syndiedrone named Tiny Hitler who went on a rampage. If we ban offensive things or follow the policy of "no racism/dictator names" there goes that idea. Because if you ban some things for being offensive, then that is a slippery slope because it's not like offensiveness can be objectively measured. Because what's offensive is subjective; if you wanted to follow that policy to its logical conclusion you'd have to ban everything people found to be offensive. If you didn't, then on what moral/legal grounds do you have to ban some things that are offensive and not others? I see some people talking about racism as if it's against the law, so I gather they probably aren't Americans. But here in the states we don't go to jail for giving our kid an offensive name, a dumb name, for calling someone a nigger, or anything of the sort.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Our rights do not end where your feelings begin, so something being offensive is not a valid justification for banning it.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #88721

Scott wrote:Cyborgs with 666 as their serial number actually happens, so banning people for it is dumb.
The bad part was "syndicate cyborg", because muh metagames
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #88732

Scott wrote:Cyborgs with 666 as their serial number actually happens, so banning people for it is dumb.

And you people really need to stop being so anal about this. None of the names mentioned so far are too shit to be banned, except Rapes-The-Niggers.
Scott, dude. Notice how I said SYNDICATE cyborg 666, or however actual syndiborgs are named
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #88735

I find it disgusting that you people get so annoyed over someone's name in a video game, especially this one with this community.

muh emmulshdasoifdwions!
And this gives YOU the right to decide MY character's name? Fuck off. Why do you even care about immersion in SS13? How do you get /immersed/? It's fucking 2d spacemans with crappy ass sounds and unrealistic EVERYTHING. There's no goddamn soundtrack that immerses you into the game, one of the ambient sounds is literally just a distorted opening to Space Jam, the graphics are fucking terrible, and the game is so clunky I have no idea how we even play it. Claiming you're "immersed" and getting rid of someone's name just because you're jealous they could come up with a clever as fuck pun that's a hell of a lot more original then your crappy ass anime name, and people like their name better.
tl;dr
immersions in this instance is just an excuse so that they can seem better at writing names by gimping those who are actually creative

but m-m-muh people using OFFENSIVE NAMES!!1!
Wah wah, someone used a racist name on a 4chan server! Get over yourself. It's a name. We're the /tg/ codebase. /tg/ is a 4chan board, the traditional games board. It's 4chan, people are racist assholes on 4chan.

If anything, you people are hippocrites. You shittalk "offensive" names here yet then you go onto singulo.io and anonymously post about how the admin that banned you is a "huge faggot SJW nigger who should suck my anus out", and then you go play at that lifeweb place where there's a full on pedophilia system coded in, and it's a server full of drunk angry racist Russians. How are these not offensive to you, but someone named Nig G. Er is?

tl;dr
if a racist or homophobic name is such a problem then why can I go into ooc and talk about how the guy who killed me was a "nigger faggot" and get away with it?

Either enforce the policy for EVERYTHING or don't enforce it at all. Don't pick and choose based on the instance, it just ends with shit like this. Consistency is key. If you enforce it for everything guess what, people would be pissed because they enjoy calling people nigger faggots for killing them on the shuttle. Yet those very same people will go from calling someone a faggot in OOC to adminhelping about someone's "offensive" name within seconds of eachother.
Redblaze3000
Byond Username: Redblaze3000

Post by Redblaze3000 » #88736

firecage wrote:Lets just make this the naming policy.

1. No references(Aka naming yourself after an anime character, or a famous dictator).
2. Mononames are allowed as long as your first name is a real name.
3. Lizardmen, while they can have unique names(like Pins-The-Lizards), can't have ridiculous or reference names like(Shenron-The-Dragon or Tator-Tot-The-Syndi-Cat)
4. Clowns, Mimes, Wizards, AI's, and Cyborgs(and any other jobs or antagonists which can have special names) may choose any name they wish unless said name is creepy, super racist, or breaks server rules(like Rapes-The-Niggers or a station borg/AI choosing Syndicate Cyborg 666)
5. Names, for humans atleast, need to be English/Western names(or at the very least spelled with the English Alphabet), thus no names like Zhōngguó.
1. This sounds good in the dictator aspect but I know people IRL whose parents named them after animu/vidya bullshit.
3. This makes sense.
4. Does this mean naming yourself Rouge or Tator would be bannable under this policy?
5. Why should it be only English/Western names? This means that everyone must name themselves american which is fucking stupid.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #88742

The original reason why we enacted a naming policy (like, 3 years ago) was because we had a copious amount of fucking stupid names. The naming rules make sense and they don't limit people from being creative and fun but they also don't break immersion. I don't want to play this game with "THE BIG MAN" and "Fuck Face", etc like before. It was lame and added nothing to the game.

EDIT: Do we really need to have the same discussions every 6-12 months? https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1510
ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #88744

Obviously we do quartz and no one said removing the policy completely. It just needs to be more relaxed.

We also covered the whole "Breaking immersion" thing.

So far this is the best rewrite I have seen:
imblyings wrote:
Rule 7- Character names should be spelled with capitals and without shortenings (e.g. John Doe, instead of J Doe or john doe). A minimal amount of effort should be put into making the names fit in within the context of a crew member of a 26th century, and sometimes wacky and nonsensical, space station. References are allowed.
Rule 7.a- Obviously OOC names are not allowed.
Rule 7.b- Lizards have a looser naming policy and can choose to base their names off the Verbs-the-Noun format, or anything similar.
Rule 7.c- Silicons, clowns, mimes, wizards, and nuclear operative last names have no naming restrictions but names that suck really bad may be subject to Primary Policy Rule 0 admin intervention.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #88759

Imblyings rewrite is pretty much perfect IMO

People who get mad when a cyborg names itself "NIGGERSMASHER9000" should commence suspended strangulation, it's a game and I'll say what I want.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
firecage
Github User

Post by firecage » #88774

Scones, you can atleast act like a rational human being though.
kevinthezhang
Byond Username: Kevinthezhang

Post by kevinthezhang » #88778

I think its problematic when people name themselves shit like "Old Man" and "Niglet Jones/Nigger Jim" primarily because its difficult to properly refer to them.
Old Man is literally a noun, and I don't want to have to type Nigger/Niglet every time I want to refer to that person. It can be annoying for other names too
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #88783

I've never seen anyone name themselves Old Man... You might be referring to a gimmick I run where I spawn in a character wearing pajamas and edit their step_size to be ridiculously slow so they move 1 pixel every 10 minutes or something and then make them have heart attacks while medbay scrambles to save the old man's life. His name is Old man