New rules about adminhelping

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

New rules about adminhelping

Post by onleavedontatme » #107295

My grand contribution to Sticky's low rule adventure was "if you start shit and you get fucked up in return don't cry about it in admin help" and would like to see that be an official rule (because admins don't actually read the admin guidelines so far as I know).

I've been personally operating off that standard for years but it'd probably be nice to include in the rules somewhere as an override to other rules (ie; it doesn't matter that the other guy didn't 100% follow the escalation rules, or that the officer forgot to get permission to execute you, because you were being a shit, and deserved it).

Anyway I propose

Rule X: Adminhelping: If you felt you've been griefed/wronged in the game, feel free to contact an administrator, however consider the following
-Admin PMs are extremely disruptive to the flow of gameplay. Consider if it's worth getting admins involved at all, or if you'd wanted to be PMd in a similar situation. Sometimes taking a five minute breather and calming down is better than getting into a drawn out battle in PMs.
-Call security first. There is a (somewhat) capable security force on station to deal with petty crime, it isn't always an admin issue. As a general rule of thumb, if you're alive and your workplace is still reasonably functional, it probably isn't an issue worth adminhelping over
-If you instigated a fight, or otherwise were being disruptive/annoying and suffered the consequences for it, don't adminhelp. The best you can hope for is to be laughed at, or at worst banned for banbaiting.

Thoughts? Changes, additions, etc?
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Re: New rules about adminhelping

Post by Falamazeer » #107297

Can't fault your wording, looks like an exciting change.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #107301

Be prepared to handle a lot of arguments over who exactly instigated a fight, but I definitely agree with the principle of the rule.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #107318

Arete wrote:Be prepared to handle a lot of arguments over who exactly instigated a fight, but I definitely agree with the principle of the rule.
There is already a convenient "Win argument"button called mute from adminhelp.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #107319

Stickymayhem wrote:There is already a convenient "Win argument"button called mute from adminhelp.
Just do what I do and threaten them for disagreeing with my hot opinions.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #107383

another trash change
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #107385

I liked the old idea that you wanted to do as few things to discourage adminhelping as possible, since admin PMs are not, in fact, some horrifying punishment (unless one or both parties make it so, in which case that's a separate issue)...

... And the idea that they are is deeply stupid and conterproductive in the same manner as players who proudly announce they'll never adminhelp, like they're fucking six years old and won't tattle on nobody never...

But I have seen a few of these lately, so +1. If you start shit, whether or not you can cite a casus beli, then don't expect me to ban the other person for beating you.
RIP
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #107390

Remember that the community decides how the game works. If no one is upset about the guy who griefed then he doesn't need to get removed until people start getting posses about it.

Discouraging frivolous a helping could do a lot to lighten the load on security in particular. Really though it sucks to have to have the rules in the back of your mind limiting you all the time. The more we can encourage mutually accepted levels of shittery the better.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #107457

There is an entire section for admin helping guidelines in the rules, I say they need to all me made hard and fast rules.

I made reject admin help so admins could reject shitty admin helps like "IS THAT VALID?" or "ARE YOU FUCKING SEEING THIS"
-If you instigated a fight, or otherwise were being disruptive/annoying and suffered the consequences for it, don't adminhelp. The best you can hope for is to be laughed at, or at worst banned for banbaiting.
This is a stupidly slippery slope. You should maybe remove annoying.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #107482

why would you change the rules so you can murder someone for slipping you once
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #107534

Stickymayhem wrote:Discouraging frivolous a helping could do a lot to lighten the load on security in particular. Really though it sucks to have to have the rules in the back of your mind limiting you all the time. The more we can encourage mutually accepted levels of shittery the better.
The other night I was playing warden and a traitor scumbag that had robusted the HoS (he was wearing his armor) storms past me as I'm throwing the clown out and runs straight into the armory.
Had him down a fair few times but he had an EMP implant and an adrenal implant (guy was shrugging stuns off left right and centre) so he almost got away from me wailing on him with a harm baton.

There were two officers in the armory with me, and you could see the dumb shits hesitating at smiting the traitor - is that the type of security force we have today? Has the fear of rulez and boinking really made of the mighty reds forget their balls?
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #107539

Malkevin wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:Discouraging frivolous a helping could do a lot to lighten the load on security in particular. Really though it sucks to have to have the rules in the back of your mind limiting you all the time. The more we can encourage mutually accepted levels of shittery the better.
The other night I was playing warden and a traitor scumbag that had robusted the HoS (he was wearing his armor) storms past me as I'm throwing the clown out and runs straight into the armory.
Had him down a fair few times but he had an EMP implant and an adrenal implant (guy was shrugging stuns off left right and centre) so he almost got away from me wailing on him with a harm baton.

There were two officers in the armory with me, and you could see the dumb shits hesitating at smiting the traitor - is that the type of security force we have today? Has the fear of rulez and boinking really made of the mighty reds forget their balls?
Seen this a few times, Officers far too scared to escalate to lethal force. It gets them mobbed and killed because they tried to be reasonable.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #107540

Malkevin wrote:

It's one of the main reasons I don't tend to play Security any more. Depending on which admins are online, lethal force can and will end up with bans.
I'd like to be able to play the game without this overarching fear of punishment, but at the same time, I'd like to actually play the game so I'd rather not get banned.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #107554

The thing is though, the armoury has always been a place specified by the rules as a place where you can straight up use lethal force.

That that undue hesitation has spread into securities holy land is worrying
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #107573

Malkevin wrote:The thing is though, the armoury has always been a place specified by the rules as a place where you can straight up use lethal force.

The last couple of times I have used lethal force, I've been warned and told I should use non-lethal means. Including one time when I was checking on the engine as the HoP due to lack of head staff, and walked into the Librarian breaking their way through the PA r-walls.
Secure area? Check. Someone who should have NO fucking access to this area at all, especially considering I'm the person who gives out access? Check. Someone acting traitorous as fuck in said secure area? Check.
And apparently I should have had the foresight to carry handcuffs on me, like some sort of HoP supercop.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #107713

Akkryls wrote:
Malkevin wrote:The thing is though, the armoury has always been a place specified by the rules as a place where you can straight up use lethal force.

The last couple of times I have used lethal force, I've been warned and told I should use non-lethal means. Including one time when I was checking on the engine as the HoP due to lack of head staff, and walked into the Librarian breaking their way through the PA r-walls.
Secure area? Check. Someone who should have NO fucking access to this area at all, especially considering I'm the person who gives out access? Check. Someone acting traitorous as fuck in said secure area? Check.
And apparently I should have had the foresight to carry handcuffs on me, like some sort of HoP supercop.
Leave some bad feedback about whichever admin that was, you aren't sec, if you catch someone being traitorous you shouldn't be expected to arrest them, you aren't even implanted.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #107723

callanrockslol wrote: if you catch someone being traitorous you shouldn't be expected to arrest them, you aren't even implanted.
Sort of this, I mean if you're the HoP you should have an egun or something right? Or did they get rid of that recently?
If it wasn't the PA or the Armory, straight up lethals would have been excessive.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #107831

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote: if you catch someone being traitorous you shouldn't be expected to arrest them, you aren't even implanted.
Sort of this, I mean if you're the HoP you should have an egun or something right? Or did they get rid of that recently?
If it wasn't the PA or the Armory, straight up lethals would have been excessive.
The HoP has an egun, which carries 10 disabler shots or 10 laser shots.

I know if I'm a HOP who isn't playing supercop and carrying a miniature brig with them, I'll damn well use the 20-burn laser shots and crit someone doing grand sabotage in a restricted area, rather than having to hope like hell security gets there before I run out of 35-holo disabler shots.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #107836

We've got this weird thing going on with the HoP/captain where we refuse to spawn them with cuffs because "they shouldn't be security!" but at the same time insist "you can't kill people, you're an authority role with a stun weapon!"
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #107837

Kor wrote:We've got this weird thing going on with the HoP/captain where we refuse to spawn them with cuffs because "they shouldn't be security!" but at the same time insist "you can't kill people, you're an authority role with a stun weapon!"
We refuse to spawn them with cuffs and yet spawn them with authority, a lethal weapon, armor, and access to more sec gear
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #107848

Another point of interest is that their collapsable baton is not all that great with the cooldown, People just get back up before you're ready to do something about it, and proceed to retaliate for getting whacked.

But yeah, Unless you're balancing for the first few minutes of the round for some reason, either code needs to give em cuffs, or policy needs to let em up the ante to lethal when they need to. I like the latter, because they shouldn't be security, If you wanna play games with them, you should assume they can and very well may take you out of the round/
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #107897

For something like the primary and secondary chain of command, ability to use lethals in situations like this really shouldn't be a problem. I mean hell the Captain can already authorize executions for prisoners, and if there's a situation to put the head of the station at significant risk he should very well deal with it however he wants.
Fr05tByt3
Byond Username: Fr05tByt3

Post by Fr05tByt3 » #109219

Saegrimr wrote:For something like the primary and secondary chain of command, ability to use lethals in situations like this really shouldn't be a problem. I mean hell the Captain can already authorize executions for prisoners, and if there's a situation to put the head of the station at significant risk he should very well deal with it however he wants.
This.
There are fewer situations you can ever run into that are more dangerous than catching an antag with his pants down like that. As an antag having that happen, a switch in your brain tells you to FUCKING KILL THAT FAGGOT BEFORE HE SCREAMS AND RUINS YOUR SWEET PLAN
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #109311

I can say that it feels like lately more than ever, I need to start every conversation with an adminhelper with the phrase 'And that was literally all you did to cause it?'
RIP