iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Don't Allow Appealing Daybans

Post by iamgoofball » #108035

pretty much every single dayban appeal ends with either

A. the dayban getting extended due to further evidence showing up
B. they argue over the ban for the next 3 days resulting in the ban appeal going on longer than the fucking ban itself

so pls implement
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Don't Allow Appealing Daybans

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #108037

Appeals are a pain in the ass for the admin who placed the ban, and that's kind of the point.

Even if it's just a dayban, if you think the ban shouldn't be a ban then you should definitely appeal it, that way if the ban is unjustified, then the banning admin is less likely to make shitty bans in the future. Plus, you don't want to have notes from stupid bans on your account anyways.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #108039

So you're wasting the banning admin, other admins, potentially /headmins/(some go that high)'s time because of "getting a chance to appeal a note"? Because a lot of admins and players tend to get involved with these appeals if the person appealing is a major rules lawyer.

If you feel a ban was a bad idea, then maybe make an admin complaint in post and ask for the note to be removed there, or /discuss it with the admins in #supportbus/. Don't waste time appealing the ban when it'll be over long before you finish appealing it anyways.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #108040

Yeah let's allow admins to dayban people with no chance of repercussions.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #108042

Kelenius wrote:Yeah let's allow admins to dayban people with no chance of repercussions.
Thanks for not reading my post where I said to make an admin complaint in post, it really shows how much of a quality individual you are and your reading comprehension skills are at maximum capacity.
People fuck up and make bad bans on occasion. It happens all the time. If it was really a bad ban, then the Admin Complaint can handle it while the player keeps getting to play on the servers.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #108045

Shit, even I think this is a bad idea.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #108046

iamgoofball wrote:
Kelenius wrote:Yeah let's allow admins to dayban people with no chance of repercussions.
Thanks for not reading my post where I said to make an admin complaint in post, it really shows how much of a quality individual you are and your reading comprehension skills are at maximum capacity.
People fuck up and make bad bans on occasion. It happens all the time. If it was really a bad ban, then the Admin Complaint can handle it while the player keeps getting to play on the servers.
Then.

Literally.

What's the difference.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #108047

Kelenius wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Then.

Literally.

What's the difference.
The difference is instead of it being "arguing over a ban being shit segwaying into a 5 page argument over players and admins where the thread gets off topic" it's "arguing about the admin in specific having bad judgement without being a derail"
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #108065

I can kind of see both sides to this. Day bans ARE a bastard to deal with and normally run on longer than the actual day ban themselves and often stay in place. A lot of day bans or hour bans are handed out as harsher warning or a "Calm down and stop being shit" kinda thing.

But equally people need to be able to report admin abuse or get a second opinion. However this kinda already is possible. By which I mean first we have admin complaints forum and secondly people still appeal hour bans when they're absolute trash.
Now 90% of hour bans etc don't get appeal and mods/admins would probably dismiss most of them, however of course their are situations that DO need to be looked at.

People need to be more aware that they can ask another admin for second opinion or that they can contact a headmin via PM's its pretty easy to ask a question and say "Hey I was in this situation, I think it was bullshit, heres what happened..." then the admin/headmin can respond with "yeah thats bullshit make a appeal and we'll go through it" or "stop wasting our time and suck it up"
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #108083

It's more that people are appealing the notes (and so, 'criminal record', as it were) than the actual dayban.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #108426

iamgoofball wrote:pretty much every single dayban appeal ends with either

A. the dayban getting extended due to further evidence showing up
B. they argue over the ban for the next 3 days resulting in the ban appeal going on longer than the fucking ban itself

so pls implement
Nope, fuck off.

I've had two bans in my four years here, both day bans and both were agreed to be complete bullshit when I appealed them, and thats the only reason my bans got overturned and the notes expunged.

Making an appeal vs an admin complaint isn't any different, despite how admins/coders/mods have tried to shove as much red tape bureaucracy into the mix.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #108432

Hmm, seems fair enough, I don't think we'd gain a huge amount of time by implementing something like this anyway, and all its going to do is make the players more bitter.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #108448

What a terrible thread
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #108492

I think some dayban appeals have lead to important precedent settings for the future, though
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #108497

Notes are used weeks, months, and even years into the future by admins in a direct way to see if a person deserves mercy, or a rusty knife in the back.

... Like, more than everyone does, I mean.

We could just begin to apply the Pasikonik Doctrine more liberally to people who stretch a dayban appeal out for three days of pointlessness.
RIP
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #108499

An issue I see, in addition, is a flood of bullshit in Admin Feedback and Admin complaints.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #108646

Ok to summarise:
  • We don't like people wasting time.
  • People need to able to appeal shity notes.
  • Banning day ban appeals will old make things shittier for the players.
  • A head min thinks its a terrible thread.
  • This is likely to not/never actually go through.
I think we're done here (before it becomes the standard shit post)
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box