Visible Ghosts/Epic memes

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Visible Ghosts/Epic memes

Post by onleavedontatme » #112525

I know I'm king of everything and could just decree it banned or whatever but I want to make sure that I'm not just being a killjoy and see if other people dislike it.

Basically I find it terrible when, in normal rounds, admins (and it's several people, so this isn't about being mad at any particular person) make all the ghosts visible, or spawn giant image macros, or edit the ghosts into random sprites and make em visible, etc. Completely destroys any immersion.

So, inviting opinions on this I guess. I feel like I'm being NO FUN ALLOWED but at the same time spamming floating memes that fly around is pretty dumb.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Re: Visible Ghosts/Epic memes

Post by Tsaricide » #112527

It's stupid, deadmin anyone who does it.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #112532

Only Ahammer was doing it as I recall

But it's fucking dumb and I hope anyone else does not do so as well

Some of that shit literally had an ifunny watermark on it, jesus christ
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #112534

In normal rounds sure, no

Sometimes visible ghosts are an effective way of keeping the playerbase stimulated/excited. For example, I've seen and I've done it myself when mostly everyone is dead and there's a lone murderboning antag who's been prolonging the round and escaping alone on the shuttle. It gives some of deadchat a catharsis they really need and as long as it's done rarely and not at the whims of players, the playerbase doesn't get spoiled from it either.

Giant image macros are another thing entirely and don't belong in normal rounds, no.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #112535

There was a "spooky"-themed event on Basil a while ago, where ghosts became visible and orbited people, ouija boards were teleported into the Chapel, and three shades haunted the phasmophobic CMO. Visible ghosts do have a good use.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #112539

You're being No Fun Allowed, and at the same time, I agree it's dumb. And I'm one of the people who's done it. If you want to just say Stop Doing It that's fine. I dunno, just make a poll for it beforehand or something to see if people wouldn't mind. That's what I've taken to doing a lot of the time.

It's precisely like the Janitor's wet floor signs, in that it doesn't avert disasters, but it does give us a useless thing to point at and deflect blame. And that makes all the difference.
RIP
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #112545

Last year I spawned a single pair of "weird glasses", that could see a specific layer of ghosts with weird dancing sprites chillin in the bar.
It was low pop, late night. Like maybe 30 people on. Good times all around, but I could definitely see this getting old fast if it was forcibly visible to everybody and happening constantly instead of just one dude who can put on some glasses and suddenly holy shit my bar is full of dancing animu.

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 450#p34438
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #112551

This is basically another kor thread where he yells at admins for running something into the ground again and he feels the need to make an entire policy thread instead of just telling us to knock it off.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #112553

I agree it doesn't really need to be a policy thread, I guess he wants player opinions on if this is too lame to do once in a while or what.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #112555

If it's part of an actual event or something, like the examples above, it's fine.
Random shit for no particular reason? Yeah, naw.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #112562

We had to remove ghosts spinning chairs because butt hurt victims were outing their murderers

And admins are making ghosts visible to everyone?
Do I really need to go into why this is a dumb stupid meme?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #112565

Saegrimr wrote:I agree it doesn't really need to be a policy thread, I guess he wants player opinions on if this is too lame to do once in a while or what.
Pretty much. I have no idea which other board this would go in. Wasn't intended to be a blanket NEVER EVER policy unless there was overwhelming backlash.

But I also don't want to jump straight to "tell people to knock it off" if a majority of players enjoy it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #112584

What the fuck kind of antifun shithole are we turning into?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #112608

Not to defend le dank maymays, but are you sure the ghosts are admin-spawned? Last I remember it was one of the more common outcomes of Summon Events.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #112616

oranges wrote:What the fuck kind of antifun shithole are we turning into?
I guess you and I have different definitions of fun, seeing all the ghosts spinning around and having different sized stupid meme images isn't my idea of fun.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #112622

It's one of those things where it's funny if done every once in a while, but gets old really fucking fast.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #112649

Yeah I'm totally agreed on this I'm sick of all the ghosts being huge fucking pepes blocking out the sun

I think we can just cover this by asking admins not to use OOC memeshit in sprite edits. If you've got some cool horror sprites you want to freak someone out with then sure.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #112662

Malkevin wrote:We had to remove ghosts spinning chairs because butt hurt victims were outing their murderers

And admins are making ghosts visible to everyone?
Do I really need to go into why this is a dumb stupid meme?
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #112903

Like TheNightingale said, visible ghosts (and other things like that) can be useful/fun if it's done when it's contextually appropriate, but doing it just because it's lel funnay xD!!! is stupid and annoying. Maybe if the whole round has devolved into unrestricted meme warfare then sure, yeah, because ragin' mages usually follows so why the hell not? A blanket "never do this ever" thing though seems a little too far, that doesn't sound very fun.
Ahammer18
Byond Username: Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #112948

I never made ghosts visible.
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin